Shady Oaks Speedway?

dry and dusty sucks for the fans!!!

And a lot of times for the racers too. It turns into "everyone on the bottom and follow the leader"

If the track is treated with a control agent then dust isnt an issue for anyone. Obviously nobody wants to eat dust in the stands. Putting a small amount of money into the right areas of a racetrack will normally pay off in the end. BTW real race tracks dry out early and start taking rubber way before the main events giving the fans there monies worth.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin was telling me about this. Sounds like a good thing. I know that my father-in-law used to race there many years ago. My husband tells some tells of when they would go to the races. That was when Clyde Turner, Bill Turner, George Hunt had several cars. I don't know if any of you know them. My husband said that he would build a car to race there if it opens. When he says a car, he usually means one for him & one for me. He would also probably build one for my nephew. Hope this does come about. I'm just a little gun shy due to what happened at San Antonio with the big promises of a racing park.

Yeah, well I will believe it when it happens. So far its just rumors and anybody can get on here, under whatever name and make promises, or just lie, to watch peoples reactions. (people are sick that way) If this person really had purchased the property and wanted to promote it, they would have said more by now! I am not holding my breath.

Yeah, well I will believe it when it happens. So far its just rumors and anybody can get on here, under whatever name and make promises, or just lie, to watch peoples reactions. (people are sick that way) If this person really had purchased the property and wanted to promote it, they would have said more by now! I am not holding my breath.
to VL racing I say don't hold your breath! Shady Oaks Speedway will need you there racing. I am a real person with real goals. You can expect to see our family next week as we leave San Diego on Friday. I look forward to being there and my family is excited about our opportunity. We will promote the speedway when we are there and look forward to meeting everybody then. We will hold a big BBQ to get to meet with everybody soon after arriveing,See you then,The Scribellito family

post 31,36 and 54................ :blink:

Al VL stated, it is now fact. I personally had the privilege of meeting Jim, his wife and children, and seeing Shady Oaks for the first time this afternoon. Many of you know me and you can trust me that this gentleman and his family are as real as real gets. I was very impressed with Jim in the short time I got to talk with him, and I was also impressed with his wife as well. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character, and I think everyone will see that Jim is a people person, really and truly cares about dirt track racing for the sport and not only as a business venture. You'll quickly see that he will be an excellent compliment to racing in the Golden Crescent as well as the South Texas area overall. There is a pretty neat story about how he ran across this venture and made his way to Texas. Never having seen Shady Oaks before, I also now understand how nice the overall property layout is.

For me personally, and my role with TRP, I will be doing everything that I can to work with Jim for the good of both tracks and for the good of racing overall in the South Texas. There will be some great opportunities for teams as well as both of the tracks in the area.

Now, there is a lot of work (back labor work) and elbow grease ahead for Jim, but having only arrived to Texas on Sunday, he is already at it. Everyone needs to be patient as the family gets settled, works on establishing a business base, website, etc. I know you will be hearing more from them soon, so hang tight and give them a chance to get stabilized and really get rolling. I think you'll be impressed with the end product.

-Monty

It was good seeing you again today Monty and as usual you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. These seem to be very sincere and down to earth people, but they have allot of work ahead of them. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind any help they can get from the local racing community. They don’t know anyone from here and are starting out not knowing where to find things, who does what...ect. Right now they don’t have Internet but it is coming soon. They are at the track, stop by and say hello, they are really nice people. Bring work gloves...lol

so is shady oaks going to be running next year

The answer to your question is, yes. The track owner told me that his intentions are to have test n tune (playday) in February and start racing in March. He has expressed an interest in having a big volunteer work weekend to try and help speed up the process of whipping the place into shape, so he can get to the business of rules, and classes. I get the impression that he wants to hear from as many drivers as possible to see what everyone wants and then forge some classes and rules that will mesh with all of the local tracks, and not take cars from one or the other, run opposite weeks ect... From what everyones telling me he has already had allot of you show up and volunteer your services already.....great! It may take devine intervention to get that old water truck going though....lol

I talked to jim today and he said he wants to have a work weekend and he will bbq for the people who come out and help, he just needs to nail down what weekend. He did say that he dont want to change the rules for the classes that already run at other tracks, he just needs to decide which classes to run.....how many people still have late models to run? and what rule package do you like. I have been ask by Jim to get this info out since he cant get internet yet. Your feedback is important. thanks

On the bomber/purestock tires it would be nice to see G60's and or asphalt pulloff's. The idea of the class is to keep it affordable and having a small tire bill helps that. Something to keep in mind. I37 and STS both run G60's but Edna runs hoosier dirt boss not sure thats the best idea for an affordable class such as pure stocks. Anyway sounds really good.

.....how many people still have late models to run?

Do you mean the "late models" like the ones that ran this season at Texana/Edna?

Now, some might call me crazy...but since there is such a small calling for real latemodels....I would be curious to see an "open" class...something that would allow real latemodels and possibly modifieds with big tires....I bet the cars would be competitive with each other and make a good show...of course there would have to be some kind of limited motor rule...I say open the body rule to allow any body...put an engine setback rule...like if your running a modified engine setback..must use stock front suspension...and latemodel setback can run racks..(like they do) maybe just specify no side boards or wings....

Now, some might call me crazy...

Call you crazy? Nah.

Call that a wise idea? Heck no. Why would you want to start a "one track" class?

Anyway, don't really have a say one way or another in this track as how I probably won't venture down there very often - if at all (approx 170 miles one-way).

So ..... With all sincerity, good luck to the new owners.

And now I'll just drift back into the shadows........

Late Models meaning full-blown, not late model stocks. The question was really about running the crate late rules or open rule Lates. It would be prudent to run a late model class that would afford the racer to compete at numerous other tracks. I was trying to see who all still had an interest in busting out the cars that have dust on them and what rules would be most appealing. Everyones ideas are welcome, and its not a debate, its more like a think tank...lol. Sounding board if you will.

lol..a one track class...at one time every class was a "one track class" I remember seeing the first limited modified at battleground...you have to start somewhere...

I have to agree with AJ. This day and age with Nascars all look and run the same. All the cars in a class look the same just a different color and number. Hell its getting hard to tell the difference between limiteds and mods for the average fan. An open class would be neat to have. This one class track thing isnt an arguement because most of the teams have a home track and for the most part they dont travel. We travel because we love racing different tracks against different cars and teams but we understand we are a minority doing that.

Having a 4412 everything else goes class might be cool but you need a good purse to pull a good car count.

lol..a one track class...at one time every class was a "one track class" I remember seeing the first limited modified at battleground...you have to start somewhere...

I have to agree with AJ. This day and age with Nascars all look and run the same. All the cars in a class look the same just a different color and number. Hell its getting hard to tell the difference between limiteds and mods for the average fan. An open class would be neat to have. This one class track thing isnt an arguement because most of the teams have a home track and for the most part they dont travel. We travel because we love racing different tracks against different cars and teams but we understand we are a minority doing that.

Having a 4412 everything else goes class might be cool but you need a good purse to pull a good car count.

exactly...now I said make it to where mods can run...but I would suggest a northern D.I.R.T style body...that would be cool...

also...someone has to do something with limiteds and modifieds....change something on them so we can tell them apart...and bring back creativity in racing....I am tired of everyones cars looking alike...personally I HATE the new wraps people are getting...people spend more on those that i have for a complete car....and to just look like everyone else...I miss the hand painted days...

Archived