Quarter Midget Racers from Late 50's/early 60's

GINGERBREADMAN

Doug,

That's awesome and yes it's all about having time to pursue these goals when life is suppose to be easier.

I spoke with Doug in Port Lavaca, Tx and as you can see he has restored some rather fine midgets and great candidates for the start.

My original idea was to start a 50's museum to begin with and with all the stuff I have we could set a movie prop and make a heck of a film.

I was going to include the Quarters as part of that time frame along with 50's gas pumps coke machines and other items.

Either way, it's sorta like the classic cars I'm involved with now to create an interest in preserving Classic Americana.

Those were by far the best days this country has ever seen!

I would say we need to meet up again this Fall and further discuss the subject. It's certainly worth an effort.

Look what happened to all the old modifieds from Meyer Speedway that everyone wishes they could find.

All cut up for the most part and turned into Toyotas!

In summary, you have my support Doug!

Stay in touch, my life is very busy these days.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable Find

To Denny, Doug, Bruce, and all our past Quarter Midget Drivers from the Houston area.

I am almost positively sure I have located Sandra Honea's Moss Midget which is now in California!

I was almost in shock.

Look at this midget and according to the present owner he bought it several years ago and we see all the familiar markings of Sandra's car.

The number, sponsor, paint scheme history all matches! The Roll Bar appears to be missing, however or removed for storage purposes.

Note the scoop on the tail section. That scoop was put on by her dad. It is a rear vent from a 1955 Caddy!!

Take a good look and see if you agree

It is sad that Sandra can't see this photo and how thrilled she would be to see this!

Even the pin striping is there as she talked about at the beginning of this thread. The front wheels have been changed however. The original wheels were like the wheels on the rear including the knock off hubs

This car is over 50 years old!

What a miracle.

I will try and stay in touch with the owner of this car for more updates

post-8338-1284169908.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed Doug..

Send me a PM later this fall and let's meet again.

Probably about time to assemble another reunion..?

Randy,

I remember a newspaper or newsletter that we had for Houston area racers back in the 50's...

Think it was called "The Quarter Midget News" or something like that.

I know I had a bunch of them that got flooded by Ike along with my other stuff that somebody threw out without my knowledge or approval.

I suspect a little red-headed left-winged geeky girl that showed up at my house to "help" us clean up the mess after the storm. She was driving a silver Mini-Cooper of all things.

Anyway, just curious if you have any copies of that newspaper laying around somewhere?

-Bruce

Edited by BruceBoening

Bruce,

Go back to the beginning of this thread on page 1 and read forward. There are clippings of those papers you are talking about that have previously been posted.

-Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Another Texas Car in California

Recently spoke with Jay in California and he has just purchased a Squalo "Grand Prix" Quarter Midget that was originally raced in Texas by a girl.

Jay intends to restore the midget and was interested in the history of this car.

There were two girls that raced Grand Prix midgets in the Houston area. Pam Miller and Gayle Nolan.

The midget is number 6 presently and maybe we can find the history on this car if anyone might know of any young girls that would have driven this car in Texas.

Photos below

post-8338-1285672005.jpg

post-8338-1285672016.jpg

post-8338-1285672031.jpg

I remember racing 1/4 midgets in Houston and around Texas in my younger days, but have lost track of alot of the competitors over the years.

A little help with this list and where they might be or what they've been up to would be interesting. Here's who's names I can remember.....Larry Schilds, Larry Robinson, Johnny Robertson, Randy Coon,(Shannon now), Bubba Nolan, Gail Nolan, Sandra Honea, Jo Jo Jordan, BoBo Cooper, Bill Pollack, Kathy Pollack, Larry Pollack, Dempy Rozofy......and somebody help me out here. Oh yeah me ...Denny Burton.

WOW GUYS THANKS ALOT THAT WAS GREAT I LOVE THE OLD PICTURES MY SON RACED QUARTERMIDGETS FRO 2002 TO 2009 WE LOVED IT AT THE LONESTAR QUARTER MIDGET CUB OF SAN ANTONIO TX. BOY HAS TIME CHANGED IN THE CHASSIS DEPARTMENT LOL. THANKS AGAIN!

I see that Jay has modified his listing of that Grand Prix on Craig's List and glad he intends to restore it.

Only Grand Prix I remember in Galveston was a green one driven by an asian kid named Rene. His father was a doctor. Don't recall them ever racing anywhere except at the Galveston airport.

-Bruce

Edited by BruceBoening

Stephen Craft Quarter Midget

Here is a vintage and also rare Quarter Midget.

Very authenic to the Big Brother Midgets in it's time

post-8338-1285894714.jpg

Speedway Midget pictured below

post-8338-1285894967.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Doug,

What a blast from the past. I was directed to this forum by Scott Smith, formerly of West Liberty. I remember much about this track and the names of the families that raced here thru the 60's. Our family has long since left racing by the great memories linger. Much of my memoribilia is long lost so I truely enjoyed seeing these pictures and reading the accounts of those weekends spent racing. It was great to hear that our old organization has regrouped and continues to provide some of the same experiences we had.

Reading this has again peaked my interest in finding a car from our era. I occasionally look to see what is being offered for sale and wondering if there is any chance of finding a Westkraft. My dad built a few but I would guess there were less than a dozen ever built. I can remember the body molds, rebuilding engines and casting aluminum heads in his shop. Visits to Junior Stewart's station and radiator service in Bellfountaine, smell of the leather jackets and stopping at the diner on 68 on the way back to Urbana.

I will see if I can find the few photos I have to post and share.

Kyle "Scooter" West

Randy,

Thanks for the welcome. I have enjoyed this thread and your contributions. It has stirred alot of old memories. Since I am new to this site, I thought it only appropriate to share my beginning as well. This is a photo of my first car. I would guess this to be around 1957-58. My dad originally bought this for my older sister but upon crashing into the guard rail at the local fairgrounds horse track during her initial drive, she retire that same afternoon. My dad still wanted to see the car run so I was only to happy to become the test pilot and a racer was born.

Kyle "Scooter" West

post-3-1288294269.jpg

Awesome!

Looks very typical of the beginnings of 1/4 Midget racing.

Like that rear bumper ..

Where did you first start racing?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

Please post more ..

I too like to see the cool stuff in the background of these pictures. I began racing in 1959 in West Liberty, Ohio with Doug Plank. I can remember a trip to Florida that never happened due to car touble in Tenn. The next year I believe we went to Tulsa and Indianapolis the following year. I remember Tulsa was hot. Lots of umbrellas for the drivers as they staged the next race. The motel had a pool. Indy was cool because I got autographs from the indy car guys.

We also raced at the North Star Drive-in in Dayton, Ohio and in the State Fair collesum in the winter. Very loud and alot of guys ran megaphone exhause to add to it. The smog in that building would rival LA in the 70's. The local racing clubs were the Mac-O-Chee Quarter Midget Racing Assoc., the Buckeye Q.M. R.A., and the Miami Valley Q.M.R.A.

My dad started building the Westkraft before I ran my first race so the only cars I ever drover were his. Occasionally I drove a car that belonged to our flagman, Hugo DeVictor. His wife made awsome ravolli.

Car #76 was the first car I raced. We sold it within a week or so. The other pictures are the second car he built, #55.

post-3-1288374350.jpg

post-3-1288374355.jpg

post-3-1288374360.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the track at West Libert in 1958. A dirt track with not enough straw bales to make a solid barrier. I love the autos in the background and the open farm country. I have also included a picture of dads driving the cars at the NorthStar in Dayton. Thanks goodnees they had roll bars for all the good they would have done. Doug Plank's car is the lower right

post-3-1288374716.jpg

post-3-1288374720.jpg

post-3-1288375538.jpg