Best memories at SAS

RookieRacer#0

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That first test and tune before the track was completely finished... a collection was taken and the drivers ran in a couple of races. I remember cheering Pat Lane on to win his race. Pat and I were just talking about this last week when I was in S.A. for a visit.

Maybe not one of the "best" memories, but another memory that comes to mind was when the stands swayed on Opening Night. Just as everyone stood for the national anthem, the stands swayed side-to-side. Neil Upchurch calmly asked everyone to sit down and everyone sat down very slowly. That feeling is hard to describe, but if you were there you know how creepy it was.

Since I didn't get to see Jon's first win in ARTS at Dodge City in 2000, his first win in the trucks that I got to be apart of was at SAS in 2002. It was a great race between Jon and Greg Davis. We won a few more times there through the next couple of years. The last I remember was at OCTOBERFAST in 2003. We were running third behind Colt and Todd McLemore. Jon was closing in on them in the last few laps when Colt and Todd got together and both wrecked in turn 4. Jon had to go high and almost hit the wall to miss Colt. Jon went on to win. I really liked racing there. Bruce Stark told Jon the first time we raced there in 1999, when you go in the turn, aim at the scoreboard and turn left. Jon said driving that track was like riding a roller coaster. Up the hill and then down. Good Luck to everyone this year wherever you race.

Turning on the microphone and making people laugh

And you did that very well, Milton.

Even though a couple of your wild and crazy practical jokes backfired, you have the knack for getting the audience involved. I think that some of your best and funniest moments were playing Simon Says with the kids you somehow persuaded to come down and make fools of themselves on the front straight during oil cleanups.

I hope when the new SAS opens up, they look you up.

Nick

Gosh, I have so many - but one that happened last year stands out in my mind.

After a Friday night practice, some of the staff and drivers were sitting around the picnic tables under the grandstands - including Tator Mason, Jody Wayne Stuart, Greg Rohmer, Marc Roy and several others.

We were teasing Tator about one of his posts on TSZ. He gave us a very colorful description about his lack of typing skills and told how long it took him to post his comment. And then he expressed his dissatisfaction about "TAMS Boy" picking on him on the internet about his spelling. He said he would choke TAMS Boy to death when he figured out who he was.

We all turned our heads and pointed our fingers at Brad Bush (Track Official), who just hung his head low and scrunched down in his seat. Tator went speechless, and luckily Brad is still alive today. I don't remember laughing so hard in years.

Well, heck, you just had to be there - doesn't sound nearly as funny when I tell the story.

I haven't been around as long so I only have a couple but the first one was the '03 octoberfast when Jamie Fuller went from 18th to finish 2d, should have won, but we won't go there, and the next one was actually on a night I wasn't there. We had just got our company name put on the 93 sportsman car and it was our first real sponsorship. Jamie Fuller was driving that night. I had something come up, out campaigning or something, :rolleyes: . The races started at 7:00 and at 7:30 my cell phone rings and Aaron Leddy says, "You just missed your first Winner's Circle Picture. Jamie won the Heat". Then about an hour and a half later, my cell rings again. I answer it saying,"Don't tell me..." Aaron says,"You just missed your second winner's circle picture, Jamie won the feature too." I'm like, every time I don't show up We do good, every time I show up, something breaks. :lol:

First time I drove on that track was in 77. Went out there with Bobby & Jerry Pelton, Dub Hamilton, and some other PAS Ministocks. Very few lights back then created a strobe effect in the corners. It was like driving on the interstate.

Also remember the first time Robert Carter and I got Woody to drive a Prosedan. He started on the pole and spun by himself in turn 1. He was mad after the race because he thought someone had hit him. We had told him he could keep the car floored all the way around, turns out we were wrong.

Last years Octoberfast was one of the coolest nights of racing Ive ever seen. More action of all kinds in every class & every race.

Got a book of pictures 11 inches thick, not enough space for all the good memories.

Over the past two decades I can think of a countless number of times, too many snapshots in my mind, I would like to show anyone else or talk about. I'm sure some would think it sad but all of my best memories, almost all of my early memories, are of my family and whatever friends occasionally tagged along all at the track. Sitting out in the summer sun and wind, keeping amused while the lights where out for hours and being dizzy from all the flashing lights on the front stretch, Amaramendia's old cars, that blue and yellow 23 street stock, those crazy guys in the early asphalt mods, the trucks from mexico, listening to one of Greg Davidson's cars whistle down the the back stretch during practice, pushing my sister and her boyfriend out of the parking lot after the crash-o-rama, the first time I really drove anywhere alone out there one night...

You know, Toyota is cool and all, and it's nice that everyone gets to have an 1/16th acre in the country all to themselves, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks its a little tragic that this country, this state, this city and the people I have grown up around keep on losing things that mean so much for so little, a KB home or a walmart can go anywhere, but to be a little selfish I really do feel like I'm losing one of the biggest connections to 21 years of my life... But now we can buy gas for 0.03 a gallon cheaper and another KB slum has a place to go...

I've tried to come up with my favorite SAS memory, but there are just too many to even start...

The scariest was the night several of my SLM friends were all wadded up in a mess on the front straight that suddenly exploded into a huge ball of fire. None of the drivers seemed to be getting out of their cars - they probably all were, but everything suddenly went to slow motion for me and it seemed like hours before any of them emerged through the flames. I was near the grass by pit road - there was no outside pit wall at the time - but the flames were so intense that it singed my beard and the hair on my arms as I stood there like a fool yelling to the guys to get out at the top of my lungs. I still have nightmares about that one.

But the one consistent thing I have always looked forward to any time I go to any track, but especially SAS, is catching up Tom Taylor (better known at txtom on here). There is not a more sincere, more compassionate, more enjoyable person in racing than Tom and I look for him to be hanging around someone's car shooting the breeze every time I hit the track.

Tom, as we all know, has more stories about racing and racers than anyone in Texas. Period.

And there's a very good reason he is able to keep all those years of racing - all those individual race cars, drivers, crew members, tracks that don't exist any more, promoters that the rest of us have long ago forgotten all about - right up front in his brain ready for instant recall.

The reason he remembers all this stuff about what happened to so-and-so 25 years ago, or who's race shop is down what obscure FM road, or how long that shop's been there and who owned it before him is because he loves racing and racers so much that he sees us all as his very closest friends. And you don't forget stuff about your very closest friends. Tom never fails to tell me stories and stuff about me personally that I don't even remember - but he remembers it all - in embarrasing detail.

Usually I don't say such nice stuff about someone until they've passed on, but, honestly, the past couple of days have seemed like we've all been sitting at a funeral parlor mourning an old friend. And I guess I've never told Tom how much I appreciate him for being such a positive part of my life, but I want to that right now - before it's too late.

God bless you Tom Taylor.

Nick

I bought a race car that had several names when charlie owned it he name was CHRISTINE then craig changed the name to EVIL TWIN [RED 44} My first year as a owner I put 4 motors two driveshafts and a butt load of money into the car . 2006 first race as Owner/driver 14 cars started feature race and I took second place {there was only two cars left on the track and after RR 83 took the checker flag he almost hit the wall in turn 1}CHRISTINE has returned

MAYBE IF AND WHEN ITS TORN DOWN AND A SUBDIVISION IS BUILT THERE .THEY CAN NAME ALL THE STREETS ..SPEEDWAY LANE . HALF MILE ALLEY . CIRCLE TRACK DR .. PIT STOP THUNDER .... FLAG STAND LOOP .. WINNERS CIRCLE ... ALL I KNOW THAT S GRAZY .....

the best racing announcer in TX. is now unemployeed..........i really hope THR makes you an offer.

not to hurt anyones feelings but nobody working today can beat this guy.

That first test and tune before the track was completely finished... a collection was taken and the drivers ran in a couple of races. I remember cheering Pat Lane on to win his race. Pat and I were just talking about this last week when I was in S.A. for a visit.

Were you there to see Jimmy Spencer drive Pat's car in the Nascar drivers race, I think in 92 or 93?

Jimmy proved that he can hit all the walls and still win.

Reminded me of a bull in a china cabinet. LOL

The fist time I went to "16" was in 1980, having only been to Speed O Rama before I was blown away at how the turns looked like hills!! (I was 10 @ that time) The first race I saw, Eddie Bierschwale won a Limited heat race sliding sideways across the finish line, I've been in love with that place ever since.

This track made my Dad become a racer, not just a spectator, we spent the better half of the 80's, 90's and even a bit of this decade towing from Lockhart to San Antonio to race and sometimes even just to watch.

There isn't enough space here to even begin to jot down the fond memories & friends I made over all of these years, I am chreishing now more than ever pictures of my Dad on the track @ SAS & pictures of myself on the track years later.

It's a sad time, it's like losing an old friend, many happy times and even some that make you so damn mad it hurt!

So long SAS, I speak for so many people when I say we're going to miss you!

Rodney Rodriguez

You are the best Milton. I have a DVD of one of the last races last year and you weren't announcing that night. It was hard to stomach. The knowledge you had of the drivers w/out script was really cool. I'll never forget watching you come down the middle of the stands the night you gave me a concussion in the Demolition Derby. See ya around.

I have a couple of memories that are good.

1. The first one would have to be the race I ran there in the truck race and was high as 3rd and finished 8th but the cool part was that early in the race I had got into the back if Jeff Rosenbeck and knocked the right front fender, and nose piece loose. I ran the whole race with it dangling there and when we pulled off the track the after the race and stopped in our pit stall the whole front end just hit the ground like finally its over.

2. Was the night I was there crewing with bradley in the year here won the championship and had a wreck with tom grothues on the first lap. He came into the pits and we used more duct tape, bungee cords and whatever else to hold the rear decklid up in place and come back and finish 7th on the lead lap.

3. The next one was when we were down there and bradley blew the motor and richardson gave up his ride so bradley could when the championship. That was an awesome weekend.

4. The last one would have to be Octoberfast from last year. I was down there crewing for Casey and he was a straightaway behind bendele with 13 laps togo and and ran bendele down and lost by a fender. Then to watch the excitement with the whole hiel confrontation. The to have the flip down the front stretch in the truck race.

From a fan perspective, I'll never forget the nights that Larry and Brandon Bendele battled for their championships.

Probably one of the most memorable nights was the one when Brandon won his NASCAR Sunbelt Regional championship. From what I remember, he had to win his race the last night to make history as the first SAS driver to win the regional championship. Talk about an emotional roller coaster - with extreme tension followed by total elation.

And then we had to watch Larry work hard on the last night to win his Late Model championship, with flat tire problems, etc.

And how can I forget the all-night celebrations afterwards and the trips to Orlando and Nashville for the NASCAR banquets?

And then I think all the way back to when we first started going to the races, with our two girls in diapers and pigtails sleeping in the grandstands and waking up so they could be a part of the pictures in Winner's Circle.

Yep, it's tough, but at least I've got some great memories and got to know lots of wonderful people that became a big part of my life.

I used to go to SA from CC with Arob when I was a kid. Had a lot of fun at that place.

Thought my dad was at Daytona the first time I saw him race there. One of the funniest things I saw there was my dad racing in the sack race. GOOD THING they don't have those anymore!

Finally got to drive there in 96'. That was one of the coolest moments in my career. That track is a ton of fun to drive.

Raced with TIDA in the 97' Firecracker 100. David Starr was pitted next to us and won. Finally got my chance to race with some of the guys I learned from as a kid (Slick, Greg, Grimes). Finished 10th several laps down, but at 21, that was a pretty cool deal.

Won a race at the 99 Octoberfast and had some good finishes with a 3rd a couple of years ago and a 4th in 98'.

I looked forward to cruising up to SA to watch some 1/2 mile racing. Sad to see it go. At least I got to run there one more time in last year's Octoberfast.

Greg Carlucci Jr.

From a fan perspective, I'll never forget the nights that Larry and Brandon Bendele battled for their championships.

Probably one of the most memorable nights was the one when Brandon won his NASCAR Sunbelt Regional championship. From what I remember, he had to win his race the last night to make history as the first SAS driver to win the regional championship. Talk about an emotional roller coaster - with extreme tension followed by total elation.

And then we had to watch Larry work hard on the last night to win his Late Model championship, with flat tire problems, etc.

And how can I forget the all-night celebrations afterwards and the trips to Orlando and Nashville for the NASCAR banquets?

And then I think all the way back to when we first started going to the races, with our two girls in diapers and pigtails sleeping in the grandstands and waking up so they could be a part of the pictures in Winner's Circle.

Yep, it's tough, but at least I've got some great memories and got to know lots of wonderful people that became a big part of my life.

Are you related to the Bendeles or something? LOL

Nick

Nick,

I guess my secret is out now! So I guess I go back to being a Bendele again instead of a SAS employee? LOL

Will someone please give me a beer? That one's for you, Larry!

Everyone connected with SAS and USRA felt strongly that SAS had seen its worse days and that things were definately on an upswing for 2007. And Debbie Williams - working side-by-side with Rick and TD - was one of the key players who worked tirelessly and cheerfully to make that happen.

This lady eats, breathes and sleeps racing and she took it upon herself to do all she could to make stock car racing at SAS not only survive, but prosper. Just because the end result was not what any of us had hoped for, that does not diminish Debbie's acomplishments in any way.

The good Lord blessed Debbie with an overlaod of talent, a kind, caring heart and the work ethic worthy of her German heritage.

I hope whoever puts up the new SAS doesn't loose her phone number.

Nick

Many thanks for your kind words, Nick. But I know you also worked hard to make USRA and SAS a success. It wasn't the work of any one individual. It was all of us working together. I thank all of you - and the drivers, fans, etc., for making my tenure at SAS such a great and important part of my life.

I know we will miss it a lot, and I know I'm not the only one who feels like I've lost a dear friend. But thanks to this forum, at least all of us will hopefully continue to stay in touch and hear about what's still happening in the racing community.

Archived