Best memories at SAS

RookieRacer#0

Deb,

Thanks for everything. I consider you a real racing friend. I wish my keyboard had a "Pass the Beer" button, but it doesn't.

I do have the next best thing though! ........... A photo of you celebrating a Bendele championship at SAS. :lol:

Priceless as it is, I guess I won't post it though! :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BEST MEMORIES, going up from CC and watching Slick or Rick win, especially one when John Kelly and Greg Davidson wrecked with like one lap to go in the race, and Rick Rapp won.

i remember Doug Lege doing a 360 out of 4 while leading and eventually coming back to win.

one other night, i believe Tommy Grimes had set a new TIDA record, sat on the pole with John Kelly on the outside of him, with about 20 laps or less i remember Kelly slowing reeling in Grimes, would go on to catch and win the race.

couple of years back watching 51 Crawford beating Bendele, kinda caught me by suprise. and a few others cant remember them all. most of all.....back in the old days when mufflers didnt exist, and you could hear the SLM motors cry coming out of 4 down the front stretch.

Deb,

Thanks for everything. I consider you a real racing friend. I wish my keyboard had a "Pass the Beer" button, but it doesn't.

I do have the next best thing though! ........... A photo of you celebrating a Bendele championship at SAS. :lol:

Priceless as it is, I guess I won't post it though! :lol:

I guess I will, though...

Here's a pic of Debbie Williams celebrating her brother Larry Bendele's NASCAR SAS LM championship. Debbie is standing next to Larry's Late Model. Please note that the car is NOT on jackstands and that Debbie is not kneeling... LOL

Ouch.. this one's gonna hurt.. <Nick Holt running and ducking>

Nick

post-3-1175280578_thumb.jpg

Dang, Nick - now you're gonna make me have to look through all of my old stuff and find some incriminating pictures.

I forgot to mention that I'll miss all of the short jokes - especially when I'd radio to cross the track and then several of the officials would radio back about a height restriction in the pits and get the short jokes going . . . ah, yes, those were the days.

I could edit out the picture, but it does bring back those fun memories. And I will have to get even!

Budman,

It's too bad I didn't know you back then . . . I'd be looking for pictures of you too, co-conspirator!

Buddy put me up to it - HONEST! Here's his PM to me egging me on..

If you've got the nerve ..........................

Dotphoto.com ........ motorsports............Larry's championship.............. last photo in batch ............ right click to save .............. POST!

--------------------

Buddy Parker, Burnet County

See? I'm innocent!

Nick

P.S. You're not short Debbie. It's just that the rest of us are too darn tall!

P.P.S Why do I get this uneasy feeling that I've ... er... um... Buddy's started something maybe he shouldn't have...

My favorite memory is the night that I spun coming out of turn 4 and ended up in the winners circle facing the right direction. Well I was afraid I was going to get hit so of course I floored it and sat there for what seemed like forever spinning my tires creating a cloud of white smoke that quickly filled the car. I can say I left my mark at SAS and did what was forbidden....burnt out across the winners circle. At least I had the crowd on their feet and a little less rubber on my tires!!!

THE ONLY REGRET IS I DID NOT EVER GET TO MAKE A LAP ON THAT TRACK .ALWAYS SOMETHING HAPPENING TO OUR CARS OR OTHER THINGS KEPT ME OFF THE TRACK ...BUT DANG I WAS FINALY GOING TO RACE ON IT THIS YEAR ....WELL THIER IS ANOTHER EXCUSE ....

more so than the friends and family, the time spent with my dad out there, is just priceless, kept me out of alot of trouble as a youngster, knowing if i screwed up we didnt go to the races. brings a tear to my eye, thank you san antonio speedway, you will always have a place in my heart. and thanks dad, for taking me with you every saturday nite and helping me get involved in something i really love.

big john

racing side by side with Greg Rhomer lap after lap. Now that was "give and take".

What I'll probably miss most of all is the at home, family like atmosphere. Teams would help other teams out if they were able because nobody liked seeing someone not start the feature. ...... Oh and nachos w/ extra jalapenos or sausage on a tortilla w/ mustard. :)

my best yet worst memory was in 1989 when i was 5 yrs old and my uncle mike meeks was involved in a wreck on the front straight away and was very badley burned when the cars all caught on fire. But luckly he got better and got passed all that and went on to race at sas for many yrs to come.

Nick , very memerable accident, glad you brought that up that was a memorie, and it did look like slow motion, I can still see the silouets of the drivers tru all the falmes trying to get out, it was even hotter from the stands side, who's tire was it that went over turn 4 wall and ended up in somenes winshield?????

We would have to say the best memories at SAS was our first time at Octoberfest in 2003. Taking Kevin out there for the very first time. He loved it and all the drivers and staff are amazing. We will miss going out there for us it had not been the same since Kevin passed. But he wanted us to keep going. As he would want all of us to keep our heads up with the closing of the track.

Again thanks to all the drivers and staff for some great memories for us to remember. Kevin sure did love the place and the people.

God Bless:

Richard and Dorothy Suberg

parents to the late Kevin Suberg

Kevin's website

But the one consistent thing I have always looked forward to any time I go to any track, but especially SAS, is catching up Tom Taylor (better known at txtom on here). There is not a more sincere, more compassionate, more enjoyable person in racing than Tom and I look for him to be hanging around someone's car shooting the breeze every time I hit the track.

Tom, as we all know, has more stories about racing and racers than anyone in Texas. Period.

And there's a very good reason he is able to keep all those years of racing - all those individual race cars, drivers, crew members, tracks that don't exist any more, promoters that the rest of us have long ago forgotten all about - right up front in his brain ready for instant recall.

The reason he remembers all this stuff about what happened to so-and-so 25 years ago, or who's race shop is down what obscure FM road, or how long that shop's been there and who owned it before him is because he loves racing and racers so much that he sees us all as his very closest friends. And you don't forget stuff about your very closest friends. Tom never fails to tell me stories and stuff about me personally that I don't even remember - but he remembers it all - in embarrasing detail.

Usually I don't say such nice stuff about someone until they've passed on, but, honestly, the past couple of days have seemed like we've all been sitting at a funeral parlor mourning an old friend. And I guess I've never told Tom how much I appreciate him for being such a positive part of my life, but I want to that right now - before it's too late.

God bless you Tom Taylor.

Nick

Dang, Nick, My wife doesn't talk that good about me anymore!

Seriously, I appreciate the comments, and you are right about my passion and love for racing. My oldest friends call themselves racers, as well as some of my newest friends, and there is not a place I would rather be on a Saturday night, unless it is the first Sunday in December in Pensacola.

I want to thank Nick for 30+ years of friendship. It's funny, we don't always agree on something that is going on or that happened; Nick can even tell you about a time at SAS I blew up on him. Wasn't personal, and looking back, really had no merit. But he let me blow off some steam. We were friends before that happened, and nothing changed after. The key thing here is, we agree that it is OK to have differing opinions. Both opinions are not right, nor are they wrong. We respect each other's thoughts and opinions.

I have waited to post anything here, as I have not yet organized my thoughts about the closing of SAS.

Now, I don't give a tinker's damn about who, what, or why it closed. I only care that it is closed. Having almost 30 years of memories there, it is a tremendous loss to me. I have tried to come up with a few memories that stand out, and it is hard to do.

Basically, every minute I spent out there, at a practice, or a race, is a memory. But I have a few things that kinda stand out and they are listed in no particular order.

1. Octoberfast 2003. Winning the SLM race with the Wallace Family, and having Eddy present his trophy to Kevin Suberg, who was attending his first race.

2. Octoberfast, 1999. Winning the truck race with Terry Brooks, and having the great Leroy Brooks in the stands watching what was one of his last races he was physically able to attend.

3. Watching my friend Greg Davidson take his SLM and go car shopping in the parking lot in 85 or 86.

4. Labor Day weekend, 1979, watching Freddy Fryar just nose out Slick Yoemans while on fire from a blown engine.

5. Any number of Super Stock races with Jerry Grant, Larry Bendele, Don Chrudimsky, Gary Chappell, Beaver Stelzig, and others. Those guys raced as hard as anything I ever saw, anywhere.

6. The bad frontstretch fire in 1989 that Mike Meeks was lucky to survive. Does anyone remember what famous racing celebrity was there that night? And why?

But we will still race somewhere. It is what we do.

RIP, SAS, and we will see ya'll at Kyle, Houston, Corpus, Pensacola, etc..........................

TEX YOU COMEING TO CC THIS WEEK IF IT DOESNT YOU .KNOW THAT R WORD ..

Sorry, no,

They be Midgets in my weekend plans.

Also gonna watch Eddy Wallace scare some lucky fans in a ride along car again. But if he scares them too much, he does all the cleanup................

Archived