What is an acceptable Grandstand fee

abrungot

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rookie49,

When I say "Your boring parents" don't take that to heart. I myself have a life outside of racing and stay very involved with my daughters extra curricular activities. I couldn't resist the thread so that is why I posted. Every family has their own budget and I'm sure that the entertainment for the weekend is based on just that "THE BUDGET". I'm not a track owner or GM but all tracks have their hands full since there is alot of other entertainment to compete against, especially here in S.A. I can't imagine how a small track can make money on local classes alone, we need the big races from time to time to pick up the slack. I don't know if I went too far into left field with this thought but it is what it is.

Jason,

Your right the hooks have whooped our a** good this year and yes the hockey teams get alot of media exposure and have alot of bills but they also get a good tax break from the city which race tracks don't. Oh and the Hooks have a much better arena!!!

hooks have a better arena .yep they do i pay for it with my local taxes .they have whataburger .they have big time sponsors .they get tax breaks .with out that .no hooks .and im a fan .what do the local speedways get .high tax rate .higher cost of advertizement .

Kelly,

I wasn't offended. I was just using that as an example of how the racing community ends up with their vision obscured because of the internal issues they face. (Being the customer, the product, the contractor all rolled into one). I had tried to make my comments somewhat fecetious, but It looks like a failed. No offense intended or taken.

Tommy,

Thats what I would have thought to. I think the big shows should be viewed as spectator builders not revenue producers.

Also guys, remember that prospective advertisers, and sponsors read this board too. You are constantly selling your car, your team, and your track. 24-7.

When you think you are not selling, you are only selling in a bad way.

These are the average budget amounts in 2004 for one Saturday night show that I used.

Purse (4 class weekly show) $5000.00

Insurance $1000.00

NASCAR Sanction ($1350 + 5% purse) $1600.00

Officials $1200.00

Safety & Security $1200.00

Maintenance & Labor $1500.00

Utilities (water, electricity, trash pick-up) $ 500.00

Other Race Night Labor (Tickets, Pit Passes, Fuel Sales etc) $ 500.00

Administration Fees (Manager Salary, accounting etc) $2500.00

$15,000.00

Ok as far as admission, no more than 12.00 bucks, CC tracks no more than 10.Children under 9 are free.

This is what needs to happen. and im talking about SAS, THR, CCMS, and HMP, these track need to eliminate the touring shows PERIOD!!!

Thats right no more TSRS, TPS, MODS, SLM, Trucks, Dwarfs, Legacys, etc etc and whatever else there is. This needs to just end. this isnt a NASCAR CIRCUIT!!! There has never been enough Sponsorship and Money to make this work, The majority of the drivers in those series would go back and run at their local speedways on a weekly basis, obviously boosting their car counts and make the racing more exciting.

Its time to build up the regular weekly show, thats what needs to draw people to the stands. if your regular weekly show isnt good enough to fillup the stands, there is something really wrong there. you shouldnt have to rely on a touring series to try and pack your grandstands. only to have new fans come back the next week, and say wow this is crap compared to last week. or have the more experienced fans say...im not going back till the SLM's come back to town. get my drift??

and last but not least here, each track should have no more than 4 classes of cars on a weekly night, and the payout for the Stockers, Hobbies, and Superstocks should DOUBLE or TRIPLE. The payouts for these classes have been the same or less for decades now. More cars = More excitement, More fans, better racing all around.

The Greek.

Greek,

TSRS had 16 cars show up yesterday, you honestly thing all or half of them would run a local class again? And what local class would they run their LM in? From sas's schedule it looks like TSRS will be the only LM series(slm's gone?).... The only LM local class is in SA, if it happened(which it wont) they might get 2 cars..... TPS is an awesome series, the car count speaks for itself. I guess you would drop a class and add them as a local show, then you piss off the class you dropped that has been supporting your track....... With your 4 classes, I guess everyone that has a car that races NOW and their car doesnt fit 1 of your 4 classes they will park their car and run out and buy a new car to run 1 of your 4 classes...... The tracks cant afford to take drastic steps.

Greek,

TSRS had 16 cars show up yesterday, you honestly thing all or half of them would run a local class again? And what local class would they run their LM in? From sas's schedule it looks like TSRS will be the only LM series(slm's gone?).... The only LM local class is in SA, if it happened(which it wont) they might get 2 cars..... TPS is an awesome series, the car count speaks for itself. I guess you would drop a class and add them as a local show, then you piss off the class you dropped that has been supporting your track....... With your 4 classes, I guess everyone that has a car that races NOW and their car doesnt fit 1 of your 4 classes they will park their car and run out and buy a new car to run 1 of your 4 classes...... The tracks cant afford to take drastic steps.

greek you want more money go out and help young poeple build cars get them to race ...getting rid of a class of 24 to 30 cars is not very good . alot of drivers go and race out of town ,to have fun again .different track to hone thier skills on .and just maybe the local dont fit their wants or want that driver or team to race there anymore . we race sas cc kyle and would houston if they would run tps ..it cost the hell out of you to race out of town and its alot of work to but we have fun .now the question i have for you is why dont they kill your class so the money can go to the other classes .i mean you suggest they kill everyone else so they can have more cars and you can have more money .killing your class doesnt sound very good does it ..

what oldtimer said..............

wow.............this is a day of clarification. i found a bannanna , you got a tan.

not every driver wants to run the same track week after week...........TSRS and TPS are very strong suggestions to that.

what tommy said...............this discussion will go where the last 50 have gone.

I originally signed on as a member of TXSZ after reading the negative comments and bashing against the series I work for. Back then it was focused on a new and upstart series. I signed on to defend this series. I see the head of that witch hunt is back and now condemning all series.

Greek,

greek you want more money go out and help young poeple build cars get them to race ...getting rid of a class of 24 to 30 cars is not very good . alot of drivers go and race out of town ,to have fun again .different track to hone thier skills on .and just maybe the local dont fit their wants or want that driver or team to race there anymore . we race sas cc kyle and would houston if they would run tps ..it cost the hell out of you to race out of town and its alot of work to but we have fun .now the question i have for you is why dont they kill your class so the money can go to the other classes .i mean you suggest they kill everyone else so they can have more cars and you can have more money .killing your class doesnt sound very good does it ..

OK ARTS22,

How many SLM, TAMS, Trucks showed up at Oktoberfast? the car counts have been miserable all year. you say TSRS had 16 cars the other night, is that supposed to be great??

tracks like SAS, THR and HMP, can have a weekly or bi weekly LM class run for their track championship. due to the fact there are alot of LM's in those areas. a track like CCMS can have a Mod class as its feature class that can run weekly or bi-weekly.

But more importantly You put 750-1000 to win on a weekly basis in a super street, 500-600 to win in a hobby stock, and 300-400 in a Bomber or Mini-stock, the car counts would be huge. and your weekly racing show would be solid.

and last but not least, im not trying to piss anyone off, or offend any touring series out there, fact is i enjoy watching some of them race, but looking at the overall picture i think its hurting the local tracks, and without them there wont be a series of any kind.

Times are changing. It's hard for most racers and fans to make it to the track every saturday night. A lot of racers like being a part of a touring series and racing at different tracks. Fans that can't afford to make it to the track every week (and those that can afford) like seeing different types of cars . Killing off the series is not the answer.

CC keep in mind that these touring series came about because the local tracks were dropping them,and some of the local tracks did nothing to encourage their growth either,I know of one that dropped 2 classes of their weekly series and then only had about 30 cars for a regular show.

Rookie49,

I'd like to add a bit of clarification - we would need 1500 adult fans. Seniors, military and children do not pay the full $10 ticket amount. On a regular race, SAS charges $8 for seniors/military and $3 for children 7-12.

So, yes, I think we're up against a tough challenge with a $10 ticket price.

I don't have all of the curent figures for SAS, but I don't think Mike is off-base with his summary of expenses - except for no mention of advertising costs - we've been spending around $5,000 per race for TV ads. Attendance has steadily improved, but certainly not enough to balance the entire cost of advertising - which also includes printing and distribution of flyers, coupons, etc.

How many SLM, TAMS, Trucks showed up at Oktoberfast? the car counts have been miserable all year. you say TSRS had 16 cars the other night, is that supposed to be great??

tracks like SAS, THR and HMP, can have a weekly or bi weekly LM class run for their track championship. due to the fact there are alot of LM's in those areas. a track like CCMS can have a Mod class as its feature class that can run weekly or bi-weekly.

But more importantly You put 750-1000 to win on a weekly basis in a super street, 500-600 to win in a hobby stock, and 300-400 in a Bomber or Mini-stock, the car counts would be huge. and your weekly racing show would be solid.

and last but not least, im not trying to piss anyone off, or offend any touring series out there, fact is i enjoy watching some of them race, but looking at the overall picture i think its hurting the local tracks, and without them there wont be a series of any kind.

Never said 16 cars was a great car count. Maybe you should read the post AGAIN.....

How do you know that eliminating the touring series will increase the cars counts in the classes that are ALREADY local classes. street stocks, hobby stocks, bombers or mini-stocks, arent they already local classes?

16 cars, beats the hell out of 9......

Greek,

OK ARTS22,

cc rider no one is mad at you .you said your piece and we respect that .we went to race sas for 1000 dallors to win came up short by two cars ahead of us .now we are busting butt to get ready for the tps race in kyle .and it also pays 1000 to win .so what is drawing us to this race .the race track the drivers we race against it is alot of fun .the 1000 is no chump change for this class pay .its large and we are very pleased that they are putting that much faith in this class to put on a good show .its just not aboult the money involved .what it comes down to is these two tracks make us feel welcome. not saying that cc tracks dont .and of course lalos, and rico.s cookin .the drivers make us feel welcome .and yes i kind of like those drivers .just alittle .

If a track can't afford to advertise, and we see by Mikes and Deb's posts that a basic night cost $15K at a race track... How do we improve the Front gate? We have to be able to advertise to improve the gate and tell the world that it would be $10-$12 to get in... Just think we have to find a way to prove it can work.. before it can really work..

Any thoughts? *(trying to keep this productive conversation)

Archived