What is an acceptable Grandstand fee

abrungot

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poorboy,

Where is it that you can feed a family of four and take in an evening's entertainment for $40 these days? That's five bucks for each meal and five bucks for the tickets. Even if your family ate at McD's before the movie and didn't eat a thing from the movie concessions, it's still going to cost you more that $40.

Spend the afternoon at Sea World or Fiesta Texas with your family of four. Or check out Spurs ticket - even in the nosebleed sections. Or go to the SA Symphony or SA Livestock and Rodeo. Or take the kids to a minor league hockey or monor league baseball game. I promise you it's a lot more than $40.

Some of you may recall that a couple of years ago Mike Sepich (remember him?) cut ticket prices at SAS to something like 7 or 8 bucks. According to Mike, there was no increase in fan count nor was there an increase in concession sales. It wasn't long before the ticket prices went back up.

Nick

Poorboy,

McD's have a thing called volume. Billions of it. Ask your local "mom and Pop" burger joint if they can compete, price wise, with McD's. They can't, they have to compete with something completly different.

Can't compare the two at all

And by the way, a ticket to see the San Antonio Diablos hockey game is Adults $6.50, Military/Students $5.50, Tweve and under $4.50.

http://diabloshockey.net/tickets/single/

Just had to get that in, cause I am .....

Bill "Sarge" Masom

The Voice of the San Antonio Diablos

as well as

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

Ok then they can stop at McD's and eat for 25 bucks and decide they don't have enough for the races or they can gp to the races and have cheap hot dogs and cokes. Just my opinion. Most people will spend more after they get there because pop wants a beer and little johnny wants a pickle. And by the way most people don't go to fiesta texas every weekend so who cares what they charge. It needs to be affordable for people to go every weekend.

And by the way most people don't go to fiesta texas every weekend so who cares what they charge. It needs to be affordable for people to go every weekend.

I think that this is a great comment. There is a huge difference between what I will pay for some experience or activity on a great vacation and what's acceptable to me on a run of the mill weekend.

Jay

Ok then they can stop at McD's and eat for 25 bucks and decide they don't have enough for the races or they can gp to the races and have cheap hot dogs and cokes. Just my opinion. Most people will spend more after they get there because pop wants a beer and little johnny wants a pickle. And by the way most people don't go to fiesta texas every weekend so who cares what they charge. It needs to be affordable for people to go every weekend.

dang poorboy your getting heavy there .but i agree .

Poorboy, I don't know you but Thank you. You get it.

Ok then they can stop at McD's and eat for 25 bucks and decide they don't have enough for the races or they can gp to the races and have cheap hot dogs and cokes. Just my opinion. Most people will spend more after they get there because pop wants a beer and little johnny wants a pickle. And by the way most people don't go to fiesta texas every weekend so who cares what they charge. It needs to be affordable for people to go every weekend

Regular night $10 per person. Special race $10.01 per person.

Fine print: children under the age of none are free. All night beverage bracelet $15. Only 4 adult beverages per bracelet and you can only buy one bracelet per person. Do some kind of hole punch for keeping track of said beverages and of course minors will have a different colored bracelet (Sorry TAMS).The no smoking section is the half of the bleachers that are up wind from the other half (subject to change from minute to minute).

Mc D's Value menu:

4 double cheesburger

4 Mc Value fries

4 drinks

= $12.00

4 General admission to dollar movies: $4.00

Popcorn & drinks $15.00

TOTAL: $31.00........NOT BAD.................YOUR BORING PARENTS!!!!!!

$40.00 GENERAL ADMISSION San Antonio Speedway

$40.00 FOOD

$20.00 BEER

$40.00 Don Pedros

...............................................PRICELLESS

DON'T COMAPRE ANY OTHER ENTERTAINMENT TO A NIGHT OF RACING

This is a prime example of why corporate america needs to be involved in motorsports. The motorsports Industry needs more money to operate than individuals are willing to pay. The lowering of the prices concept did nothing before for the front gate. This is an advertising business, so advertising needs to be sold. And you actually see people complain when there are commercials on during a race.

Kelly,

you are proving my point. You have racing fuel for blood and your example of the cost of racing is good. But you're thoughts on regular parents... So, let me get this straight, the best way to attract new fans (customers, dollars) is to say that we are boring and basically tell us that if we don't like racing in the same way that racers do we are not needed or wanted. OK that's fine with us. Most of us boring parents are too busy taking our kids to their football, soccer, baseball, church, gokart track, student council and etc. to really care if a bunch of rednecks think we are boring. That's the way your sales pitch is coming across. But we might be interested in checking out the races as a sometime every now and then thing. Racers and hard core race fans are in denial about what people think of your hobby. Most kids love racing. But you know what, we don't take our kids all the way to SAS or Kyle or wherever because they like it. There are tons of things of things that we can do that they love for a lot less than your 140.00 night at the races. We take them because we like it. The bottom line is everybody keeps acting like they have all the answers if they could just get the casual or new race fan to listen to them. HELLO. They don't have to listen to you. You are supposed to listen to them. Bottom line is the tracks need to worry about what the guy at the front gate wants if they want his money.

Mc D's Value menu:

4 double cheesburger

4 Mc Value fries

4 drinks

= $12.00

4 General admission to dollar movies: $4.00

Popcorn & drinks $15.00

TOTAL: $31.00........NOT BAD.................YOUR BORING PARENTS!!!!!!

$40.00 GENERAL ADMISSION San Antonio Speedway

$40.00 FOOD

$20.00 BEER

$40.00 Don Pedros

...............................................PRICELLESS

DON'T COMAPRE ANY OTHER ENTERTAINMENT TO A NIGHT OF RACING

$12.00 for mc/d thats not adding how much a trip to the doctor cost . i wont let my dog eat at mc.d

Kelly,

you are proving my point.  You have racing fuel for blood and your example of the cost of racing is good.  But you're thoughts on regular parents...  So, let me get this straight, the best way to attract new fans (customers, dollars) is to say that we are boring and basically tell us that if we don't like racing in the same way that racers do we are not needed or wanted.  OK that's fine with us.  Most of us boring parents are too busy taking our kids to their football, soccer, baseball, church, gokart track, student council and etc. to really care if a bunch of rednecks think we are boring.  That's the way your sales pitch is coming across.  But we might be interested in checking out the races as a sometime every now and then thing.   Racers and hard core race fans are in denial about what people think of your hobby.    Most kids love racing.  But you know what, we don't take our kids all the way to SAS or Kyle or wherever because they like it.  There are tons of things of things that we can do that they love for a lot less than your 140.00 night at the races.  We take them because we like it.  The bottom line is everybody keeps acting like they have all the answers if they could just get the casual or new race fan to listen to them.  HELLO.  They don't have to listen to you.  You are supposed to listen to them.  Bottom line is the tracks need to worry about what the guy at the front gate wants if they want his money.

well the tracks are listening .what is you great ideal .what is it that you as a fan want from a track .you put in your two cents in and it was very interesting to read .but you didnot finish .what is you perspective of what need s to be done . :rolleyes:we would really want to know from you as a sometimes fan as your post suggest .

It all comes down to what the tracks are considering a regular

night of racing.In my opinion(and I speak just for myself) the

touring series are not worth the gate price the last two years.

Subpar racing and terrible car count make for a bad show.

It is up to the Drivers,Car Owners,Series Owners,and Track Owners

to take care of those problems.When the gate price is almost what a pit pass cost the gate is charging way to much again JMO.

Regular night of racing $10.00

Family of four

$18 x 4 = $72.00(Empty Stands)

So just to pay for the Local series purse (SS, HS, GS) at THR... you need $3110 for a 22 car SS, and 20 car HS.

You would have to put 311 people in the stands just to pay for those classes... @ $10 per ticket front gate...

We aren't talking about Track insurance, Property Taxes, Electric bill, Administrative fees.. and all that stuff.. Solely To pay the purse if the first step...

If gate fees were $10 instead of $15 or $18.. do you think 300 extra people would show up in a night? How do you tell them.. and why would they show up..?

And THANK YOU for making this Constructive instead of Destructive!!

The Hooks here in Corpus (who by the way whooped up on the SA team to many times this year) charge $5 for berm seats and $9 for regular seats. They get you in cheap and once your in the $5 dollar beer starts coming around. It may actually be more than $5. Dont remember. True they have a much larger advertising budget than any local track and way more exposure but still....they have massive bills they have to pay also.

J

But you know what, we don't take our kids all the way to SAS or Kyle or wherever because they like it. There are tons of things of things that we can do that they love for a lot less than your 140.00 night at the races

yeah you can take the kids to malibu grand prix and let them be involved for a lot less than $140.......jmo

Did anyone see the ASALM commercial? What year was that? I counted 21 SLM and you can see the stands were packed all the way down to the floor, the car count looked good, but the stands looked even better, it looks like if there was standing room only. Some sure was going on right that evening. Maybe there was no high school football games, no Spurs games, Malibu was closed, no new releases at the movies, ect.....lol

well the tracks are listening .what is you great ideal .what is it that you as a fan want from a track .you put in your two cents in and it was very interesting to read .but you didnot finish .what is you perspective of what need s to be done . :rolleyes:we would really want to know from you as a sometimes fan as your post suggest .

Well thats a complicated business plan issue with multiple aspects, and the topic was just about ticket prices. But here goes a portion of it. It would take me several hours to go all the way into all of my thoughts on this. Realizing that in a dwindling market you have a compounded issue. Decreased revenues and increased costs. First be honest about where you are in the market place. Does the general idea of your product have a market in your area, ie RACING. Next, if it does then make sure the detailed exact product(LOCAL circle track racing with the classes you are selling) has a market. If it doesn't then you need to decide, do you want to spend the money on developing the market or do you want to change your product. I am assuming that It is a combination. So, I will let TQ or TD or others handle the marketing issue and deal with the more mundane. :D How do we know we have the right product? 2 ways. Car count and fan count. How do you increase fans? Price it at the level that people are willing to pay & With the car count. How do you increase the car count. Make racing more affordable to the prospective racers. Face it, everybody thinks its fun to race but 99% of the population isn't willing to spend what it takes to race. Maybe if you make it more affordable then you can get a few of those people to actually say, maybe I can do this. How do you do this.

1st- Recognize that the present rules are drawn up more to level the playing field than they are to level the cost. That isn't right and does nothing to level either. Simplify them and allow people to win with their work, their research, their knowledge rather than not allowing them to use it. Allow creativity, don't punish it.

2d-Change your classes to allow a more diverse group of cars.

Streets, Hobby Stocks, E-mods (Not the present type a true e-mod class), Super Streets and LLM's.

4th- Go to a 318cid rule. When I was in my 20's 350 blocks were like doorstops. Now-days they are expensive. Using 305s, 302s, 318's will diversify the cars and cheapen the racing. If the racing parts are more expensive for those motors then don't allow those parts.

5th-Either turn SAS into a 1/2 mile dirt track ( :o I Know sacrilege ;) ) or make it a lesser banked 3/8-5/16 track. It just costs a lot more to race on big asphalt tracks. Do something to Kyle to allow a little more passing. I'll let the many people that have chimed in hundreds of times here before decide how to do that.

Recognize that while you need each other (Tracks, Owners, Fans) you are NOT all on the same team. Just a fact of life.

None of this meant to be a bash. Almost all of it has been said on this forum at one point or another. I only have gathered some of it together and have a desire to see racing succeed. I believe that so many of you are so close to the situation that the perspective gets a little skewed. Good luck to all.

PS I forgot to say put more of these lower classes on street tires.

Archived