What is an acceptable Grandstand fee

abrungot

Texas Thunder Speedway, Killeen, Tx

Adults $10

12-6 $3

Under 6 Free

Every night, no matter what. Demolition Derbies, Midgets, Dwarf Cars, always the same price.

Never had less than 90 cars this year. Often had over a hundred.

And they let you bring food and drink into the grand stands. No coolers, no beer, no glass. It is a Texas law, if you sell beer, you can't bring it in, if you bring it in, they can't sell it.

Best racing on the planet on a Saturday night. Heart of Texas Speedway in Waco has the best racing on the planet on a Friday night.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LM77 and CH you guys seem to have a clue. Many others not meaning to bash or offend but, If you read this forum topic you will see why racing is dying. The attendance of Track owners, promoters, staff, and Racers and their families and the few die-hards that bleed racing are not going to save racing in central and south/southeast texas. Not unless all of you go to the same track like what happens at H.O.T.

Jacking your prices cutting your attendance and then making all your money off the back gate and the families and friends of the back gate is an excellent business model... NOT.

TQ thanks for making my point. For once I absolutely agree with you. This is like some weird convergence of the planets or something.

The future of Sat night racing depends largely on the affordability of being able to pay the gate price. Only a handful of die-hard fans show up at THR that have been regulars for 10+ years (and I mean just a handful). So, I hope all these new $18 people will stick with you.

I've noticed at the gate that a family of 4 will look at the prices and walk away.

Should pay $12 for regular night. I wouldn't mind paying extra for super late models and truck series. TSRS should be nothing more than regular event - that's what we used get. Again, the low car count with so-called touring cars doesn't cut it.

Bottom line, since THR is running limited schedule we're paying extra to make up for the weeks they aren't open.

Johnny, have you even been this year? Most nights the races are over around 10-11 on regular nites. Most special events have also been over at a respectful hour. It use to be way to late I agree,but it is much better now. You should try it this Sat. nite. Be glad to see ya there.

Yea this year only Octoberfast went really late and that was over by 11:30, and it went that late mainly from all the server wrecks including bean's flip and roll.... We went to almost every race this year at SAS except I think 2 and were out of there no later than 10 or 10:15 usually

I haven't been 2 much the last 2 years. The nights I did go we were out by 10:30. I had heard that they were doing better. But that still leaves me getting home almost midnite. But thats more a personal problem w/ me. That still leaves the gate price. AND everyone gets tired of watching a bunch of g-bodies chase each other around. Camaros, G-Bodies, and the occasional nova. Same old samo. :)

For a regular night $10 , kids 12 and under free 13-18 $5.I think most adults would pay 10-12 but when they bring the kids they should get a break.A lot of the no admission price can be made up at the concession.A lot of 13-18 have their own money in an limited amount so make it a little easier for them.The next step if you get a lot of kids in the stands is set up some activities or a club of some kind to keep their interest.This group is the future fans give them something to remember they will be return business.But anything you do at the gate will not help unless you put a good product on the track.You would need at minimum 15 cars a class in a feature.As for special events no more than $15 for USRA in it's current state.$20-25 for ASA is not out of line.As for concession that I have been to South Texas Speedway and Texas Thunder are the best.

For a regular night $10 , kids 12 and under free 13-18 $5.I think most adults would pay 10-12 but when they bring the kids they should get a break.A lot of the no admission price can be made up at the concession.A lot of 13-18 have their own money in an limited amount so make it a little easier for them.The next step if you get a lot of kids in the stands is set up some activities or a club of some kind to keep their interest.This group is the future fans give them something to remember they will be return business.But anything you do at the gate will not help unless you put a good product on the track.You would need at minimum 15 cars a class in a feature.As for special events no more than $15 for USRA in it's current state.$20-25 for ASA is not out of line.As for concession that I have been to South Texas Speedway and Texas Thunder are the best.

What he said.

regular weekly show 12.50$ x 2=25.00 for 4 to 5 hrs of entertainment =2.50$ per person per hr now that redneck cheap if we could get them to sell beer for 2.50$ you and your other could have a evening for 40.00$

yea i wanna pay that to see a limited amount of cars on the track at anytime for any race im sorry but from what people have told me before racing is not dying yea i can tell wait not racing but asphalt racing tsrs a weekly show well used to be now it is just a weakly show with way to many cautions usra has way to few of cars or trucks it is funny i have some old catalogs and the prices havent really changed that much for racing since the mid to early 80s the only thing that has is the prices of the gates and the payout both suck but hey it is a good thing this is all just for fun lets all go broke having fun yee haw see yall at the races............................... maybe, if you can pawn enough stuff to get in

I live by Houston Raceway Park, the dirt track and drag strip, a regular night of racing is $8 general admission and I think $ 3.00 for beer.. They pull crowds because lower and middle class families, can afford to take their families on a regular basis.

From an officials standpoint I can understand that there is a fear if prices are lowered and the crowds do not increase the track will loss $$$$. However, I think if a local track (and lets not just pin point THR, because HMP, and SAS are the same) lowers prices say to $8-$10, and DRIVERS and CREWS help to advertise and regruit new faces to the sport and to dust off the fans that have began to sit at home, then the track will not only see an increased crowd but an increased profit, its simple math,

500 Spectators at $20= $10,000

1500 Spectators at $8= $12,000

Plus concessions, I have yet to meet a child that can't convince their parent to buy them something!!!!

This will only work with word of mouth and advertisement...Drivers get you cars to parades, small town festivals, this is a free form of advertisement and a great way to get a fan base. If your going to sit back and lay it all in the hands of track managment, then don't complain that their isn't a crowd, get out there a do your part.

I know a few years ago, I took the pace car to 2 parades and asked drivers to join me, for each parade I had 1 car, and although I would have enjoyed more cars, we had a BLAST and face it at a parade and festivals RACE CARS DRAW an interest. People are going to ask where you race, what you race and so forth!!! Lets have a productive off season and get things done!!!!

Regardless of price,you have to give them their money's worth.One thing I have learned is,"The only thing worse than a small crowd is a big crowd coupled with a bad show.As you know,bad news travels fast(just read some post on here).You can bet your A-- that every "unsatisfied customer" will go home and call ten or more people to tell them that the show sucked,the guy that's happy as hell might not tell a soul.

iv said that all along the out of sight out of mind .showing your car not only helps get fans .it helps land and keep sponsor s.we took a car to a carshow .took video for them to watch and i could not believe the response .we ended up with three new drivers out of that show.and alot of fans .how many poeple you know go to any other sports that dont know anyone playing that sport . so they dont go . same in raceing if i dont have anyone i know to rute for i dont go .just for starters if i drove from cc to kyle to watch raceing the only driver i would be a fan of at this time would be ss99 why cuz i met him so now he has a new fan .hence the rest of the story .

Regardless of price,you have to give them their money's worth.One thing I have learned is,"The only thing worse than a small crowd is a big crowd coupled with a bad show.As you know,bad news travels fast(just read some post on here).You can bet your A-- that every "unsatisfied customer" will go home and call ten or more people to tell them that the show sucked,the guy that's happy as hell might not tell a soul.

so true .i ate at so and so.s it sucked .how many poeple would go there and eat . i see alot of poeple at the tps races standing in line for lalos and rico,s food . word of mouth .now lalo is going to have to have donations just to keep up .and that food is even good after most drivers eat during the races at the track . he cooks out of a tool box.its piston poppen good .

THe local towns in the area that have festivals with parades in just the warm months that come to mind without even thinking are

Smithville Jamboree...March

Bastop Homecoming...August

Elgin Westerndays...August

Luling Watermelonthump...April/May I think

McDade has one( i think its the strawberry festival)

Taylor has one

Most towns do parades for the 4th of July, and at least Christmas. If the cars aren't ready load em up on a trailer.

For SAS atleast from some just ruff guess-ti-mation (like my spelling there) the Sportsman and Road Runners will have plenty of cars atleast to start off the season with... That is if all us building new cars to run can get them built in time.... Those 2 classes alone have good counts but mechanical probs and wrecks usually dwendle the counts down at the finish of every race, hopefully that improves next year....

What happened to all the Late Models that SAS was supposed to have this year? A ton of registered drivers but only had the same old regular cars every week... Did they just not have the funds to race or where they racing somewhere else?

The grandstock class at SAS really needs some help on car count though... I know the track was building some to sell, but I think they ended up useing them in the demo derby.... If they had some really cheap GS cars for sale they might be able to get more fans actually into cars and racing... I was going to go that route but had a better and higher class option fall into my lap, just have to build it myself... :)

Also what happened to the truck rides for the fans? I never heard of anything takeing place... If there was more of those and actually get the people involved either in contest or drawings for rides in the 2 seaters that might help bring more people out...

anyway just some thoughts I had I will get off my soap box now... :)

The tracks that put on bigger than normal shows also increase the gate price.They in return have bigger crowds.The biggest crowds have the highest gate fee....why?.....the show.

I always figured they had more people at the bigger shows because of the advertising......when they are having a big show, they spend a ton more on advertising it......so then i would guess that the extra money they made from the higher ticket price, would offset with the cost of more advertising........jmo

Thats why they need to get with the local sports shows and get some basically free advertising out of it somehow...

Get in touch with the Ticket760 about haveing a local racing talk show on the weekends or something.. Most of the stuff they play on Saturdays is cindicated national junk....

In my opinion a family of four should be able to get in and have a basic meal for around 40 bucks. I don't mean beer and cotton candy but hot dogs and cokes. I think that is realistic and affordable for most.

your correct bruce .only other thing is the cost of raceing is so high that we as drivers and crew want more money cuz we need it as do the race tracks .so it comes down to both tracks and racers in both makeing money .the track has to make money .we need it to get back the next week .we race for a hobbie .the track races for money . with out two of us we cant have the third. fans in the stand .the tracks and car owners have to be a partnership so to speak .we need each other to make it work .but both have to get the word out all year around .i do and most poeple do .we need to show our cars .and somehow help other drivers get thier cars ready .to show to race which ever is the case .

Archived