What are your thoughts on the SAS NASCAR Sanction?

abrungot

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I understand Aaron. It's just that so many nights I'm out there looking at all those empty seats and thinking "dang, if there was a way they could get even 50 cents for each one of those empty seats ........... it would be better than them just sitting empty.

Oh well, ................

Well I think part of the issue with the empty seats is that there are just other things people could be doing on a Saturday night. I heard Mike (Knotts) mention that before. It's funny though, the regular race night has cheaper ticket prices, yet a small crowd. But on a USRA night, the prices go up, and the crowd gets bigger. As far as my opinon on the NASCAR sanction goes, I'd say keep it as long as the track can afford to. As a younger driver, I feel like having NASCAR displayed at the track would make it a little easier to get a ride one of the bigger divisions (CTS, NBS). If I was a Late Model driver, right now my name would be among the list of current NASCAR drivers. And if say, Hendrick Motorsports is looking at expanding to a 5th full time team, one of the first places they'd probably look is at the NDWRS web site (I would think). If I was a good "NASCAR" Late model driver, I'd have a better shot at getting noticed. That's just what I would think, but I'm only 17 and this is my 1st year actually being involved in the sport......

You are absolutely right Crazy. I would say 40% of the people say they can't afford it and the rest are mad that I won't get them in for free.

.those free and discount tickets we give out for some race track at work .tells me what poeple think of the gate price . its to high .for the most part the consession price is not to bad at these tracks .but the gate is . for the average joe .my thought was always low gate higher consession . get them in most i talk to cant see 8 9 10 dallors gate and 15 to 20 gate is a killer . but i also can see why to .more pay outs .higher insurance elect staff . and all .lower turn out even when the gate is cheaper . .the tracks dont have the money to advertise like they used to .cost is high .so what can be done to help out .everyone needs to get out even off season and show the cars .get poeple to know you .the tracks can help. by saying . ill pay you r fuel bill .or food bill or something for .five to ten teams show up somewhere for a showing .take pics. kids love that . give candie kids love that . you get the kids involved you got money in the bank .that is cheap advertisement .not to mention your sponsors on your cars would get more bang for thier buck .and may bring you more sponsors .the benefits could be endless .but no we sit and gripe at the prices and the low fan count .and we as teams have raceings future right here at our local parking lots .walmart in five points showed our cars one year and we had more poeple in the stands that weekend for it and made some friends at that . jmo.

so what can be done to help out .everyone needs to get out even off season and show the cars .get poeple to know you

I absolutely 100% agree and I do my part, I've made 10 appearances with my truck this year none of them did I get paid for which is fine by me. I have at least 4 more already scheduled (as long as my truck still looks like a truck) :( and I have indeed brought people to the track by doing so, but more than anything like was said earlier people have told me they can't afford it time after time.

I tell people that in the Entertainment Coupon books there is a COUPON for admission price help to THR (I don't know about SAS if there is let me know I'll get the word out) but the price really hamstrings families with kids over 7.

What breaks my heart is that I made an appearance told everyone about an upcoming race, gave my e-mail address out and had a family e-mail me that they went to the track and I had said the "kids under age" wrong and they couldn't go because they didn't have enough money. Instead they went and saw Cars the movie with the whole family. I probably wouldn't even had said anything on this thread had I not been in that situation. I have offered to make their kids free by my own money for MY mistake at our next race at that track.

Again if a family of 4 goes to those said events, that is 1 or 2 dollars per person extra.

It isn't $5 to $10 dollars per person to park... the cost is per car.

I really wasn't trying to make people believe me I was trying to make a point that everything looks fine from my perspective regarding points, purses, rules and sanctioning bodies. I just think the prices are too high. I'll leave it at that and go back to trying to make money racing. ;)

There are events all over town nearly every day that charge $5 to $10 to just Park at their event.

what town do you live in? austin has park and ride to special events , doesn't cost a dime. most cities do , you elect to pay for parking to be closer that's your choice.

key word was special event , once a month once a 1/4 , not every week. we expect people to show up week after week?

+ like i said before most special events and movies , ball games, rodeos, etc. advertise to no end ..............we want people to come and watch us perform our 'hobbies' with limited advertisement in ( comparission to before said events ) , then we don't understand why they don't show up?

like i said i try to bring new people out to the tracks , cameron does ,buddy , chase on and on and on. the price of admission is what I KNOW turns new people off.

so if it ain't broke don't fix it................but damn something is broke.

ps- this is not a bash towards track owners or even promoters that wear cowboy hats- just telling you what i hear in my trials to promote attendance.

Budman, etc.,

You may have already viewed the thread that was posted earlier about the SAS Crash-A-Rama. Help us figure out why it was such a big success.

Here are some of the facts about the Crash-A-Rama:

- Did some TV advertising on three stations - KENS, WOAI, KABB (no radio), but we spent a lot less than we did for the April ASA race. We didn't use the NASCAR name anywhere.

- Did a lot a "grass roots" advertising by distributing flyers all over San Antonio

- Held several monster truck displays - the ones on S.W. Military Drive were extremely busy. Also set up banners and a monster truck at the track, along with a bus and boat display.

- Held a press conference at the track - got some good coverage from KABB and WOAI - also some got mention on the WOAI SA Ole Thursday morning segment that highlights weeekend activities

- Sent out press releases about the event - not particularly focused on any driver or entry

- Charged $15 for adult admission at the gate - $8 for Senior/Military - $3 for children 7-12. Total grandstand attendance was over 2,000

- Answered and returned almost every phone call on the SAS race hotline

- Had lots of Demo Derby entries (24 cars)

- The fans enjoyed the monster trucks, but their responses to the other events was just as good or better

So . . . we're trying to figure it out post-race - what do you feel made this event so much more successful than any of our racing events this year, including the ASA race?

We welcome your input, as well as input from anyone else on TSZ.

I guess that's what it's all about Deb, ................. figuring out what the most efficient and cost effective marketing mix is. The problem is though, you can't put on that type of show every week. Hopefully, you'll get a good percentage of return customers to the weekly shows. Of course that brings up the next obsticle to hurdle. How to increase those weekly car counts. That's a tough one though. Huh? I wish ya'll all the luck in world, seriously.

Like someone else said ........... I think you get a much better show with fewer classes, with more car counts in each class. I know Bryan at THR has spoken on here on that very subject before. I'd much rather see a show with 3 classes with 20+ cars in each class than 6 or more classes with just 8 or 10 cars. Maybe all the asphalt tracks need to rethink where they are on this subject for next season. Oh well, just a suggestion.

Track promotership is much harder than it looks folks. Some of you may know of the changes we made at Bonner's Bellmead Speedway during the last 8 weeks of the season. The track had very low attendence. And a car count that was close to 60 and occassionally in the 70's. And this was with seven divisions. The racing action was poor due to low car counts in each division. Not due to what the driver did on the track. There simply was not enough cars.

We made some changes. And not all worked. But some did. Through advertising and good ole promoting much like what was listed for the crash a rama event. The car count rose to 90 cars. Fan count went from 250 average to 800 plus. Sounds like some good improvements huh? Believe it or not. It is my opinion that we was still far from total success. Still, was to many race divisions. We were paying the top heavy sections of the purse pay outs in every division. While the lower half of purse monies was seldom if ever paid. Bellmead and many other tracks are all doing this. Heavy end purse payouts, low divisions car counts both equal finacial woes and a poor racing show for fans. Over time. Raceways need to correct this by having four race divisions at most. With each having a different divisions providing speeds, budget differences for teams and easy to identify differences of car for the new comer fan or average fan to see.

Lowering gate fee's will spell one thing......TRACK CLOSURE! For those that focus on what all that money coming in to tracks. Sharpen a pencil and grab a sheet of paper and think of all the money that goes out in expenses. It will shock you if you are honest in your research. I challenge anyone to do this. I will help you with all the things that you may forget along the way in this exercise. If you think all tracks are doing so well. Wait for a few more weeks or a month. As some tracks will soon be revealing some startling news. At least those in central and north Texas will be. I know of at least one track that will close. Another track that is concider to be doing oh so well will be making drastic changes also. This and much more will come out in up and coming months as raceways jockey for positions and adjust budget issues.

Raceways all to often concentrate on raking in existing fans rather than trying to cultivate new ones. It is good to see that some action was taken in cultivating new fans by some southern raceways. I applaude you folks!

It takes time and repetativeness. And no easy formula is taken to get the job done. Best of luck to you all.

Debbie failed to mention that the Express-News also featured the event on the front page of our online sports section on Friday, despite the fact that the E-N was not invited to attend the press conference.

Below is the link to Friday's story.

Monster Trucks to invade S.A. Speedway on Saturday

Plus I posted a story on my blog yesterday.

Monster Trucks invade San Antonio Speedway on Saturday

Both online stories received several hundred page views on MYSA.com. It's great to see SAS attact such a large crowd. Hopefully, the track will see a large crowd at the Oktoberfast races in a few weeks.

Mike Haag

I am just a fan who has traveled to many tracks around Texas through the years(SAS in particular).#1 I agree that no more than 4 classes should be run.Three is enough.I would think that would make purse distribution a little more equitable.#2 I don't think tracks charge too much at least at the gate.Most tracks have been 9 or 10 bucks for regular nights and 15 - 20 for special events for many years now.The decline in attendence to me is related to the decline in car counts.As much as I love SAS in can be really boring at times.And #3 as to the popularity of the Night of Destruction types of events.I think these attract the non race fans who just like to see wrecks and crazy stuff.I don't think most would be interested to see a regular racing program.They are great for the promoters and tracks as they do bring in needed revenue.I think the place to start to bring up car counts is to contact and set up meetings with the racers who are not racing now and find out why they are not and what it would take to get them racing again if possible.The answers need to come from them.It wouldn't hurt to maybe set up a meeting with area promoters to discuss what works for them and what doesn't.Be sure to include Owen as the last few years in Corpus he has shown great sucess and ideas on both asphalt and dirt.He is obviously doing something right down here.I'm not sure what it is at tracks as I don't go with kids anymore but I think having kids under 12 in free would get more families in.Not only that a lot of those kids will be future fans or even racers.Is the NASCAR sanction hurting SAS? Only if it continues to hold down car count for whatever reasons.

so if it ain't broke don't fix it................but damn something is broke.

you guys keep sharpening pencils....................i just wanna race , and have people afford to watch.

My apologies to you, Mike, and to the SA Express-News for failing to mention your coverage in my recap. I did know about the blog and forgot to mention it.

I didn't know about the article in Friday's paper. To be quite honest, last week was very busy for all of us, and my newspapers are all piled up in the corner. It's great to hear that you were able to get an article printed in the paper, and we appreciate your efforts in getting the article printed. Since your Friday column was cut out earlier this year, I guess I didn't even think to look for it.

I'm not sure what happened with your invitation to the press conference. I feel sure you weren't purposely excluded. When you get a chance, please give me a call to discuss. I've left several messages for you on your cell phone, and I haven't received a reply.

Debbie failed to mention that the Express-News also featured the event on the front page of our online sports section on Friday, despite the fact that the E-N was not invited to attend the press conference.

Below is the link to Friday's story.

Monster Trucks to invade S.A. Speedway on Saturday

Plus I posted a story on my blog yesterday.

Monster Trucks invade San Antonio Speedway on Saturday

Both online stories received several hundred page views on MYSA.com. It's great to see SAS attact such a large crowd. Hopefully, the track will see a large crowd at the Oktoberfast races in a few weeks.

Mike Haag

Mike,

Unless your email has changed recently, you - and at least five other Express-News writers and editors - were emailed invitations to the Thursday Crash-a-Rama press conference at SAS.

You have been one of SAS's most faithful supporters over the years and I make it a point to include every press release I write for either USRA or SAS to you.

Please check with your fellow Express-News employees David Flores, Jerry Briggs, Richard Oliver, Steve Quintana and Jerry Garcia to see if they received their invitations. If not, then all I can say is that there's a few Crash-a-Rama press releases floating around in cyber-space somewhere. I know that at least some of the 80+ invitations I sent out were received since three TV stations showed up!

Please accept my personal apology if your invitation did not make it to your computer.

Nick

Budman, etc.,

You may have already viewed the thread that was posted earlier about the SAS Crash-A-Rama.  Help us figure out why it was such a big success.

Here are some of the facts about the Crash-A-Rama:

- Did some TV advertising on three stations - KENS, WOAI, KABB (no radio), but we spent a lot less than we did for the April ASA race.  We didn't use the NASCAR name anywhere.

- Did a lot a "grass roots" advertising by distributing flyers all over San Antonio

- Held several monster truck displays - the ones on S.W. Military Drive were extremely busy.  Also set up banners and a monster truck at the track, along with a bus and boat display.

- Held a press conference at the track - got some good coverage from KABB and WOAI - also some got mention on the WOAI SA Ole Thursday morning segment that highlights weeekend activities

- Sent out press releases about the event - not particularly focused on any driver or entry

- Charged $15 for adult admission at the gate - $8 for Senior/Military - $3 for children 7-12.  Total grandstand attendance was over 2,000

- Answered and returned almost every phone call on the SAS race hotline

- Had lots of Demo Derby entries (24 cars)

- The fans enjoyed the monster trucks, but their responses to the other events was just as good or better

So . . . we're trying to figure it out post-race - what do you feel made this event so much more successful than any of our racing events this year, including the ASA race?

We welcome your input, as well as input from anyone else on TSZ.

Deb - You said "Help us figure out why it was such a big success." Look at the name "Crash-A-Rama." Folks like to see a wreckfest!! It was not a regular show, and that made it special. Few regular drivers involved, so they were probably in the stands...

edited due to the fact that people "like" to see a wreckfest, not "lile" to see a wreckfest...LOL

Deb - In thinking about this a little more, like I said in the post above, in general, folks do like to see things smashed from time to time. A show like this cannot be equated to the weekly show, as they are apples to oranges. Whether SAS keeps the Nascar Sanction is a different matter, but having a show like the "Crash-O-Rama" a couple of times each year will help to bring new fans to the weekly show. A show like this needs one type of promotion. It is a special, out of the ordinary kind of show. The size of the crowd shows that your efforts were on track, and successful. For the weekly shows, a similar but slightly different approach is needed. Here, instead of a special upcoming show, you need to try and ingrain or imbed the desire to keep coming back into the fans. How, value for the dollar (which has been mention before, I think...LOL) and giving them a reason to want to come back. They need to feel in some way that they are part of it, not just a spectator. A spectator will see one of the weekly shows, and then be satisfied to move onto other things. But if you can make it so they feel like they are part of it, they will keep coming back because it becomes part of who and what they are.

Now as far as the "Crash-O-Rama" went, we really enjoyed it. The only thing that would have made the show better, was more of the local drivers participating. I know, I didn't participate either, but I was in the stands, and had guests to entertain!! It would have been great to have a dozen entries in each race. But the number of participants in the demo was great to see... Also the food was not as good as I remember it being. As a group of seven, we would have bought more food if it was a little cheaper and a lot better, like it was a few years back.

JMHO...

Debbie,

I had posted in another post that the thing that got us to keep coming back and getting involved was knowing the driver personally. Maybe we need to get the drivers up in the stands whenever there is a chance. Let them talk to the fans. When they wait until after the races, many fans have already left or the drivers are busy loading everything and trying to get out also.

The biggest thing that got us to get involved was when Wesley won the chance to be a pit crew member for a night. He was hooked then. I offer to allow a fan to come help out on my pit crew. I even offer for them to be on Jamie's pit crew. OH, wait a minute, it is all the same pit crew. Heaven knows, Wesley and Vince would love to have some help. I will even take a female pit crew member.

Thanks,

Mona Turner

WOW!!! This thread has certainly covered the full gamut of all things related to local short track racing (and beyond). Huh? NASCAR or not NASCAR sanctioned seems to be equally divided. The initial NASCAR sanction at SAS came at a time when car counts and fans were dwindling (sound familiar?) and it proved to be the panacea to help resurrect SAS racing fortunes. Why? It provided stability in rules which had gone awry and provided a BELL COW for promoters, drivers, and fans. Does it still do that?? I, for one, see a crack in that BELL! Rules seem to have gone somewhat astray. I don't think drivers now see it as a way to progress to the BIG SHOW. And it doesn't appear to be putting more fans in the stands or more monies in track owners and promoters pockets. In essence, it (NASCAR) appears to be taking much more than giving. JMO Much to be said about gate prices on this thread. I personally feel they are fairly in line with what I know to be necessary to to keep a track operating. About five or so years ago (Bill Haglund days) the weekly cost for operations, including purses, was 13 to 15K depending on variables. Folks, from where I sit that relates to 1500 $10.00 tickets for a normal race nite. Appears to me that all of our track owners/promoters are having to add much deeper pockets to their trousers. Huh??? I am sure most of us realize the stands are nowhere near that figure on the normal race nite. Much thanks are in order for SAS, THR. HMP, and CCS owners/promoters for keeping asphalt racing alive in our small part of the world. Many, many thanks are also in order for all of our drivers and teams who show up to race on race nite knowing , that for the most part , their trouser pockets will also need to be extended. Putting everything in perspective, for owners/promoters it appears to be love of racing first with business (profits) secondary. For drivers it has to be nothing but pure love of racing. At this level, it can never be more than a hobby, albeit an expensive one. So much for my opinion . SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!!!!!!!!!

i know ill get some flack on this cuz someone out there will think its crazy .how about a points fund for the fans .the ones that show up and bring in the most people .you could give them some kind of special decal the will have some kind of number or something on it to prove who they are .lets say 1000 dallors or more based on count entry .just may work .take some work to figure it .but..... ps im oldtimer now so i have an exscuse .for crazy stuff .

nothing crazy about it oldtimer, kinda like a frequent flyer mile...........maybe at the races you can make up some type of card that you swipe like at the spurs games, the more you go the more you get...........like opening night you get a sas swipe card..........then each time you go, when you pay to get in they swipe your card..........and each time you get a little something like a free hotdog or free soda...........then after so many you get a free admission ticket.........then the more you get maybe a free jacket or free cap.........something little to reward the fans who support the track the most.........the sas fan rewards card.............pretty good thinking oldtimer.............tehehe

Archived