What are your thoughts on the SAS NASCAR Sanction?

abrungot

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a different questions i had was, if sas dropped the nascar sanction, would they gain any cars from other tracks on their nights off........i mean if they didnt have to add a nascar license to their list of other items to purchase to run at sas, would there be more out of town cars for the big races or races on other tracks nights off?..........just a question.......

On another thread, a couple of comments were made about the NASCAR sanction at San Antonio Speedway. We've also wondered about the value of NASCAR and would like to hear more of your feedback concerning NASCAR on the local level. I will attempt to move the comments already made to this thread.

For your information, car counts do make a difference in the current point standings. Here's a link to the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series 2006 Championship Point System: NDWS Point System.

I will try to find the payout chart. The eligibility period has been extended to October 1, so the results posted earlier in Announcement section are not final yet. If Joe maintains his 12th place position, he will get $5500 from NASCAR.

thanks debbie, i wondered if i maybe made someone mad or something by asking the question........it is good for advertising purposes to be nascar sanctioned, and im sure the points money they give out is worth it as well, but for the out of town drivers, or the drivers who run every now and then, the fact that you have to buy a nascar license for maybe just one race may be a turn off.....just wondered how many out of town drivers would run sas if they didnt have to buy the license........

rebel,

We're not mad at all about your question/comments. We're wondering about the same thing that you've mentioned . . . is the requirement for a NASCAR license turning potential drivers away from SAS?

Not necessarily ACE. I remember reading on a thread several months ago that SAS has to pay out over $1300 per night of racing directly to NASCAR for sanctioning. Is it really worth it? Could that money be better spent staying in SA?

With regard to scheduling among the tracks. I checked all the schedules at SAS, HMP and THR for this past season. I bet you didn't know........... All threes tracks ran the same Saturday night only ONE TIME this season. That was April 15th. Some Saturday nights only one of the tracks ran. That's a lot of Saturday nights with a lot of cars sitting idle, when they could have been racing away from their home track.

I think they should consider setting up an association among the three or four tracks (if CC was included), with a season "STATE" points fund, and running for a "State Asphalt Championship" in each class. The tracks, with a little prior planning, could schedule for such "State Points" races, when figuring out the 2007 schedule. Individual racers would have the option to participate or not. They could choose to just remain at their local tracks if they wanted.

All this is just something to think about, and consider the options. This would pretty much require the adoption of common rules, however. :)

What happens to the Na$car track scoreboard? Does it have to be returned & replaced?

This was the first year of Na$car restructuring of the Weekly series divisions and points system. This current system is not advantageous to SAS. I wonder if Na$car plans any changes that would be announced during Speedweeks.

1. The next time ANY of you are at SAS or the USRA trailer is near, ask to see the NA$CAR points payout chart hanging on the wall.

2. Insurance---just like IMCA the amount of coverage is usually 10X greater than any tracks coverage.

3. IMCA tracks pay a percentage to IMCA based on car count------seems to be working for them.

The license fee is just like any other part of racing.....tires, fuel, new parts, etc. And it's only a 1x charge. So why should that make a difference? Not much difference than having to pay to register your car number, either.

We went through this once last off season too. <_< Hey ace can borrow your horse?

Not necessarily ACE.  I remember reading on a thread several months ago that SAS has to pay out over $1300 per night of racing directly to NASCAR for sanctioning.  Is it really worth it?  Could that money be better spent staying in SA?

What is the purse for the SAS-LM's? and if you did away with the nascar sanction AND added the $1300 to the purse, run atleast 50 laps, would that bring more cars?

Also, what does a set of tires cost for the LM's and do the tires last for more than 1 race?

Boyd Raceway dropped their sanction after the first year after the Plato family bought the track and saved 40K plus by doing so. Waco also dropped theirs as well as Cowtown,and we know about their car counts. If I am not mistaken,the track still has to pay insurance as well as the sanction,correct me if I am wrong on this. I know times have changed,but there were more cars before the sanction,but the tracks need to work together.

Everyone is quick to blame the track, or sanction, or license, or a hang nail, or.......................

CCMS/Owen paid how much for a "local" late model show only to have how many cars show up? Some of those cars were pulled out of the weeds just to be there. The Two-Step races paid how much? How many cars?

The Big Shot races paid how much? How many fans?

How much do people expect promoters to lose before they are forced to close the doors. Let's face it around here unless the racing is on four legs(excluding aces horse) it doesn't attract much new attention. Just TQ's choir(can't believe I said that)

Reb... I feel you think we "Racing Community" Blame the nascar sanction i don't think anyone really wants to blame that...

Think this is just all ment to explore the current racing market.. Bottom like that i think everyone can agree will is Cut costs...

The track needs to cut costs and the racers need the same...

The question i see that is on the table is How much does it cost to be NASCAR sanctioned... and How much does it create.

License's to my knowledge all go to NASCAR in Daytona. Racers get it back in the form or payouts... don't know how much a sportsman driver would get for winning the championship... but maybe its not worth it..

No Aaron, you missed the point(s).

It's about reasons NOT to race.

Owen's show was an 'open' local late model show paying good money, lots of excuses, no cars.

Now do I think it's cheap to race....Hell no, I'm not that foolish. (Marc, be quiet)

Neither is it to run a race track. I've seen both sides of the fence now.

There are benefits to being sanctioned(see above).

Rules...it's my understanding that NA$CAR tracks can pretty much make their own rules within parameters, submit them to NA$CAR for approval. They aren't set in stone.

Everyone wants rules between tracks to be close, yet when Sarge or I bring up IMCA rules, everyone whines about IMCA's claim rules. Funny thing, look at how many cars showed up for the Supernationals($3000 to win modifieds) plus the top four ALL lost their motor to promoters claim and then were auctioned off. It's my understanding two of them even came back to Texas.

From what I saw, ALL pavement track had similar problems with car counts, except for maybe one class. (see reference to four legged racing above)

Look at the counts between the Houston dirt and paved tracks, Corpus' dirt and paved tracks, also.

I hear more dirt guys trying to come up with excuses to MAKE the next race. Talk to some of them yourself.

Their top class(modifieds) race for far less than the pavement late models and are probably close in costs(will vary with engines) Do they whine....sure...but they show up and race too.

Archived