Sergio Hexsel wins TPS race

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old racer years ago explained it to me like this -If power to weght ratio is equal ; say 10 hp to 100 lbs ;and the cars run the same tires the lighter car will be faster. The way he said it was tie a 12 lb bowling ball & a 16 lb ball to a length of baling twine,swing balls around head,see which ball breaks string first. may be over simplifying but always seemed to make sense to me but I'm just a dumb mechanic.

An old racer years ago explained it to me like this -If power to weght ratio is equal ; say 10 hp to 100 lbs ;and the cars run the same tires the lighter car will be faster. The way he said it was tie a 12 lb bowling ball & a 16 lb ball to a length of baling twine,swing balls around head,see which ball breaks string first. may be over simplifying but always seemed to make sense to me but I'm just a dumb mechanic.

The bowling balls in this case are not the same shape. The little ball is not as well balanced at the bigger one. FWD cars are notoriously front end heavy. The rear wheel drive cars have a much better shot at obtaining close to a 50-50 front to rear weight distribution.

And you are leaving out the geometry aspects as well. A well engineered tube frame car can obtain very desirable suspension geometry (very similar to a Super Late Model) while the stock frame cars frequently have all sorts of camber curve, caster gain, bump-steer problems along with some Ackerman steering issues.

In my opinion, having a car that is rear-wheel drive, 50-50 front to rear weight, superior suspension geometry, a proven engine combination and aftermarket parts that are readily available makes the Ford 2338 the way to go in TPS.

Just because the existing Ford TPS teams have not dominated in the past two years (although they have shown to be the fastest on the clock on several occasions), does not mean that they aren't capable of doing so under the existing rules.

Nick Holt

well ok but i dont know anyone that is willing to sink that kind of money in a pro sedan i mean come on nick why put that kind of money in a pro sedan to win 350 dollars why not just build a late model that old thunder bird of james lee he had over 12 thousand in it and didnt it get outlawed cause it was too big

well ok but i dont know anyone that is willing to sink that kind of money in a pro sedan i mean come on nick why put that kind of money in a pro sedan to win 350 dollars why not just build a late model that old thunder bird of james lee he had over 12 thousand in it and didnt it get outlawed cause it was too big

Well, like I said, that's what I would put together if I were going to build a winning TPS car. What you would put together probably could be entirely different. I'm just going by what I see as advantages/disadvantages in the current TPS rules.

Leroy Farmer put two of them together and they absolutely dominated. I don't believe he put that much money (except into the Eslinger aftermarket stuff) into the car.

It's a whole lot of work (isn't that what racing's all about?) to modify and lighten an old, lightweight tube SLM frame (Dennis Frings used to built lots of lightweight cars that are probably in back yards all over the place). But the engine would be a WHOLE lot cheaper than the Eslinger stuff many of the Ford teams are currently using.

And even if you took an old Pinto chassis and reworked it so that the suspension geometry was at least close (I think Randy Lee did just that) and found the right spring combination (I KNOW Randy Lee did just that), you would end up weighing 150 pounds less than the car I propose and be able to run 58% left side weight besides!

I know you are going to ask why the Fords aren't winning then. I'll leave that up to you to figure out, but it's not because of the TPS rules package.

P.S. Have you looked at a couple of the TPS purses this season? I believe at least two of them are $1,000 to win. Correct me if I'm wrong, Neil.

Nick Holt

Nick: Here is part of a News Release that is being prepared regarding upcoming TPS purses.

The Texas Pro Sedans Series has announced $1,000 to win and purse increases for the Octoberfast race on October 7th at San Antonio Speedway and at the “Stock Car Spectacular” at Thunder Hill Raceway on October 28th......

$1,000 is guaranteed to the winner of each of these season ending 30 lap races. In addition, both purses will be significantly increased over traditional field payouts.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

so are we to expect 1000 to win for all tps races next year

Good point, cRt. Who knows what the purses will be in 2007?

But I do know this. Neil works very hard at providing a decent purse at every TPS race. And as far as I know, he has always paid every cent of prize money that was due his racers - and that's 31 years worth of doing things right by any standard.

Nick Holt

crt,

I have one of those fords Nick talks of building..i.e., pinto frame, tube chasis, and fiber body. It has been a learning experience for us. Last year we practicly destroyed the car the second night out. But this has been a very good learning experience. I do believe with Nicks assessment about getting up front with this car. But with liitle time to work at this year (due to shift schedules) it 's been frustrating. I've had tremendous help from Lalo and Rico, my brother, my son and from several coworkers. We are slowly getting it done. Again I believe we will get it to the top. I see you on here crying about this or that. If you truly want to help. Run with us then state your case. Standing on the sideline on your soapbox is getting real old. With all your knowledge how come you don't help the fords get back to the top?

Struggling BUT having fun,

Ozzy

tps 22 you dont really know who i am do you well asked lalo and rico who spent a lot of time building and working on their cars the first car lalo ran with you guys was my old car and when it got crashed we build him a new car that without the restrictor plate under R&D FINISHED 1ST IN CORPUS SETTING A NEW TRACK RECORD and finished in the top three in the other races then because of another driver gripped they made him put the restrictor back on the car now even with the restrictor the car was fast but it did have a alum head and with lalo being a big man the car was a little over weight but it still had a stock frame so ask mike , jessie, lalo, rico i jamie ive been in the racing game for 20 years

well lloyd i hope you win both of them so are we to expect 1000 to win for all tps races next year

Thanks CRT.

Now as far as $1000 to win for all TPS races next year, it could be, you never know. Do you want to sponsor one or more of our races? Who knows, it could be a Ford that wins (or a Honda :D )

didnt it get outlawed cause it was too big

CRT - I have never heard of any cars that got outlawed because they were too big.

I checked the 2005 issue of TPS rules, which were effective January 1, 2005 and found the following passage:

"The wheel base shall not be changed from OEM specifications. (The maximum wheelbase rule is removed.) Track Width (center of tire to center of tire across either axle) is limited to 66 inches".

In the 2006 TPS rules, that paragraph was edited to read:

"The wheel base shall not be changed from OEM specifications. Track Width (center of tire to center of tire across either axle) is limited to 66 inches".

For full information about Texas Pro Sedans Rules, visit:

www.TexasProSedans.com

Scroll down page 1 and click on 2006 Texas Pro Sedans Rules & Specifications.

However, not really sure why someone would want to run a really big wheelbase car?

Struggling BUT having fun,

Hey Ozzy - I think you are well on your way past the struggling part. ;)

In the first 5 races, you continued to improve your finishing position each race. First race was what, 17th all the way to 7th in the 5th race... and how many top tens is that now in a row??? 4 by my count!! B)

Keep up that progress and we will all be chasing you!! Just keep the "having fun" part in it!!

well lloyd i hope you win both of them  so are we to expect 1000 to win for all tps races next year

Thanks CRT.

Now as far as $1000 to win for all TPS races next year, it could be, you never know. Do you want to sponsor one or more of our races? Who knows, it could be a Ford that wins (or a Honda :D )

Or a bug. :lol:

hart james lee build his thunderbird the same time i had build my mustang i ran mine at cc and he would go run pro sedans i didnt look at the rules when all this happened he just told me he wasnt running pro sedans anymore cause they was trying to outlaw his car because of his wheel base so all of that was just from hearsay but this would of been around 97-98

Hey CRT and Ozzy,

You two want to hear a funny story? Back in 2004 before I joined TPS, I went hunting for a car. Coming from CA, I watched the races at Victorville Speedway and at Orange Show in San Ber-do. Almost all (read that as all) serious mini's at the time were Pintos/ Mustangs. Bad fast they were. That is what I went looking for. In fact, I looked seriously at several, but none of the ones I looked at met all of my requirements (price, spares, distance to get, etc...) The one I was seriously ready to buy was a white Ford Mustang, #34, driven by Shane Hill. I heard they were having issues and may be selling. I approached them, but they wanted to run until the end of the season. So, I bought a little red CRX. Within a week, the Mustang went up for immediate sell... Worked out well for Ozzy...LOL...

What would the message boards here at TXSZ look like today if things had worked out differently....

{Smoke and soft mystical music comes up then slowly fades away...}

Would all the VW and FWD car owners, drivers, and builders be on here saying "That #19 Mustang needs to be slowed down!!!!" Well, we will never know, know, know...

{The smoke and soft mystical music returns, and then slowly fades away, again...}

Oh well, that's the end of my story. I hope you have enjoyed it...

:lol::lol::lol:

B)

hart           james lee build his thunderbird the same time i had build my mustang  i ran mine at  cc and he would go run pro sedans i didnt look at the rules when all this happened  he just told me he wasnt running pro sedans anymore cause they was trying to outlaw his car because of his wheel base  so all of that was just from hearsay but this would of been around 97-98

Well, that's before my time in TPS - but be careful of hearsay, it gets ya every time!! :blink:

(Edit due to blinky happy face not working…)

well hart if you would of i think you would be looking at things different but i followed that honda around sa and kyle several times the race i did the best i started in back and that honda went to the outside and flew by everyone well i just tucked in right behind him and finished second in the heat that away and third in the feature

well lloyd i hope you win both of them  so are we to expect 1000 to win for all tps races next year

Thanks CRT.

Or a bug. :lol:

naw... Honda is better suited for end of season races...LOL

I know, how bout a Toyota??? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OOPS, Double double post :(

Archived