hello

HiTech

SURE GLAD I CAN TAKE THE COLD  .my wife well another story .lol .. we have been with out electricity starting monday morning 645 am .. except for one hour 3 am tuesday where we were jumping up and down thinking sant claus came late .. after that hour nothing till just now ..lucky for me i have an old predator gen 4500 .. been running it on one tiny very tiny foot heater to keep one bedroom warm and i one smaller ice box ..in the garrage and one colman flame thrower to heat frozen  nuts and bolts .. that works well heating up soup or anything in a small pan .. and lucky my house is old enough to have two gas bathroom heaters  one in each bathroom  .everything else i have is electric .. .me i cant sleep in a closed room where i cant hear the rest of the house ..so i have been sleeping in the 53 degree part of the house  which is fine with me i love cold weather ..  not this cold . but hey free ac .. just  add blanket when needed .lol .. i hope everyone is safe our there and least  have  somehere to get warm .. im am old boyscout and deer hunter so i can use those skills i learned back then  .they come in handy at a time like this .. ........................ be safe folks .. i figure to loose the power in less than an hour that is how its been run on to warm the house and then take it away ..   just makes you  mad when you can walk outside look two streets over and they have  power and you dont .. ...

Glad to hear that Hi-Tech is doing ….  "Just Ok".....   Yah the conditions are pretty rough up the coast some in Houston as Well.....   Like Mike I am "Roughing it " pretty badly my self.....   We are pretty much all in the same boat with this mess......But "WE ARE RACERS"    When the going gets Tough ….  The Tough gets Going  !!!!

(Right Mike ????)

2 hours ago, metroracer said:

Glad to hear that Hi-Tech is doing ….  "Just Ok".....   Yah the conditions are pretty rough up the coast some in Houston as Well.....   Like Mike I am "Roughing it " pretty badly my self.....   We are pretty much all in the same boat with this mess......But "WE ARE RACERS"    When the going gets Tough ….  The Tough gets Going  !!!!

(Right Mike ????)

FOR once in your life you hit it on the nail  maybe twice but who is counting .. this has been bad for many and many  are the old folks i am just 65 .   .seen too many ambulances at some  of my nieghbors down the street  knowing most of them can not survive with out power  uppper 80s plus  . i was worried about them and dont even know them .. ........

Edited by HiTech

Same here in the hill country.....Some remote areas have been without power/water(on well) since Friday when the bad ice hit...I was stuck due to hills getting out for several days...Even with the few "warm" times during the day the snow turns to slush then refreezes at night...I've had a couple call outs for water pipes breaking at places I do work for.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

My place in NW San Antonio was without power for four days.  Two of those days the outside low temps were single digits and daytime temps didn't get above the mid 20s. The first night and part of the next day we had no source of heat other than candles.  Sandy and I were bundled up like Eskimos and stayed wrapped up in blankets for a day and a half with the inside temp in the low 40s. 

On the second day, Tuesday, a good friend delivered some wood that lasted for 24 hours and raised the inside temp to the mid 50s and almost 60 if you sat right near the fireplace. What a blessing!

So,   We scouted around the internet and found someone selling a wheelbarrow of wood for $75 from a large trailer pulled by a brand new F350.  So I got in line at the Cracker Barrell parking lot and bought a few pieces of very green, very large pieces of wood that took forever to get to burn - and I'm very experienced at building wood fires. What a rip off.  That cowboy took advantage of the crisis and ripped off a lot of people.  Some folks bought several wheelbarrows full to load in their pickups.  I'm sure they are looking for that guy to get some of their hundreds of bucks back. 

On the other hand, once the temps got up and melted the ice on the roads, I drove to Boerne and bought two large wheelbarrows full of seasoned mesquite and two different kinds of oak for less than $75 from an honest Hispanic family who live in a trailer park behind the Ford dealership.  That wood burned great and lasted until we finally got our power back early this morning. God bless this family.

Nick

Nick, sorry for your troubles there. A friend of mine who lives alone in Lewisville Tx had a similar situation and when it got below 50 in the house he hoofed it  to his sons house 20 miles away for the balance....all told it was 80 hrs for him (and his neighbors) without power.

As for the guy selling green wood for $75 a stack,  another friend in Red Oak told me that a guy was selling 1/2 (yes half a cord) for $800 and people were actually buying it.

I have no tolerance for people who GOUGE and that's a big one. Similar to hotel rooms going for $800 and up during big events---despicable

4 hours ago, King237 said:

Nick, sorry for your troubles there. A friend of mine who lives alone in Lewisville Tx had a similar situation and when it got below 50 in the house he hoofed it  to his sons house 20 miles away for the balance....all told it was 80 hrs for him (and his neighbors) without power.

As for the guy selling green wood for $75 a stack,  another friend in Red Oak told me that a guy was selling 1/2 (yes half a cord) for $800 and people were actually buying it.

I have no tolerance for people who GOUGE and that's a big one. Similar to hotel rooms going for $800 and up during big events---despicable

This is why i am not rich .honesty .. i have worked on cars at home for years and under charge  just about every job  except when i worked on nicks truck  lol....i can go right now and buy cases of water cheap  about 2.25 a case from my wifes work  if they still have some  and make a killing if i wanted to ripping poeple off  just could never never  find my way in doing such a thing .and if i did it would be for donations to a food bank or poeple who need ithe help .i would just take out  what the cost of the water  only .....i have been in  need before in some worst ways .. if you are hungry and i have a dallor its yours .. even if i was hungry ...had a man come by today with a generator he let sit for two years full of gas .you know what happens .. i  stopped what i was doing  fixing a water leak  drained his tank took the carb off cleaned it  and got him running ,, no charge he said he knew i could help him but did not want to bother me during the coldest time .. . THIS MAN   has a bad heart and his wife isnt much better and they  suffered through that four days  of cold . glad they made it  i have never met them .. .. but i did jump him .i said when something like this happens call me come down what ever it takes . let me decide if i can help . ................i hate to think i could have saved them had they died ..thats just me .can not put a price tag  on life .

Edited by HiTech

6 minutes ago, HiTech said:

. i have worked on cars at home for years and under charge  just about every job  except when i worked on nicks truck  lol....

LMAO 😜 now THATS FUNNY Mr Hi-Tech!!!

I do the same thing at my house, neighbors come over all the time with stuff needing work from lawnmowers to golf carts and cars in between. When done I just ask for the cost of parts and provide them with a receipt. I call it giving them a hand up rather than a hand out. 
This gouging stuff is just greed and it’s wrong. 

The horror stories are starting to come out now (and others even Nick shared one)and it’ll be weeks before the true death toll is revealed . 

10 hours ago, King237 said:

LMAO 😜 now THATS FUNNY Mr Hi-Tech!!!

I do the same thing at my house, neighbors come over all the time with stuff needing work from lawnmowers to golf carts and cars in between. When done I just ask for the cost of parts and provide them with a receipt. I call it giving them a hand up rather than a hand out. 
This gouging stuff is just greed and it’s wrong. 

The horror stories are starting to come out now (and others even Nick shared one)and it’ll be weeks before the true death toll is revealed . 

No doupt we will have many  deaths  sadly ..THIS GOUGING STUFF IS JUST GREED AND WRONG .. ill add one more   word  HEARTLESS ... . 

Edited by HiTech

The price gougers are out there because there are too many people that do not plan for the worst.   Most everything was readily available prior to this very predictable blizzard that blew in.  We were good to go for a couple of weeks without Elect or water.  We were lucky enough to help many neighbors 9for free) who didnt plan well.   Water and firewood were at a Premium later.    The huge cases of baby wipes were also very popular.

5 hours ago, toyotatim said:

The price gougers are out there because there are too many people that do not plan for the worst.   Most everything was readily available prior to this very predictable blizzard that blew in.  We were good to go for a couple of weeks without Elect or water.  We were lucky enough to help many neighbors 9for free) who didnt plan well.   Water and firewood were at a Premium later.    The huge cases of baby wipes were also very popular.

Sorry for the delay in approving your post, toyota, I was busy trying to get things straightened out with my computer which took a hit when one of the rolling outages on Sunday suddenly surged through our home electrical system.  This same surge blew several transformers in the immediate area which is one of the reasons why our neighborhood was the very last to be restored early Friday morning. 

18 hours ago, HiTech said:

This is why i am not rich .honesty .. i have worked on cars at home for years and under charge  just about every job  except when i worked on nicks truck  lol....i can go right now and buy cases of water cheap  about 2.25 a case from my wifes work  if they still have some  and make a killing if i wanted to ripping poeple off  just could never never  find my way in doing such a thing .and if i did it would be for donations to a food bank or poeple who need ithe help .i would just take out  what the cost of the water  only .....i have been in  need before in some worst ways .. if you are hungry and i have a dallor its yours .. even if i was hungry ...had a man come by today with a generator he let sit for two years full of gas .you know what happens .. i  stopped what i was doing  fixing a water leak  drained his tank took the carb off cleaned it  and got him running ,, no charge he said he knew i could help him but did not want to bother me during the coldest time .. . THIS MAN   has a bad heart and his wife isnt much better and they  suffered through that four days  of cold . glad they made it  i have never met them .. .. but i did jump him .i said when something like this happens call me come down what ever it takes . let me decide if i can help . ................i hate to think i could have saved them had they died ..thats just me .can not put a price tag  on life .

Gotta love this post by my buddy Mike McCain.  Shows you where is heart is for sure.  And I'm proud to be part of his post - the part about "nicks truck."

Here's how it would go before Mike would work on my truck - which is a 2000 Ford Ranger with lots of miles:

Nick:  Here's my credit card. Use it to buy whatever parts you need.

Mike: OK, but how do you know I won't use it to buy a bunch of stuff?

Nick:  I know where you live, Mike.

Here's how it would go after he got done working his butt off and barely able to stand due to his wore out knees:

Nick: How much do I owe you, Mike?

Mike:  Oh, how about $XXX? (which was much less than labor would have cost anywhere else)

Nick: OK, here ya go, Mike.

Mike: That's not what I asked for, Nick.

Nick:  I know, but you're work is worth much more than you're asking, Mike

Mike: Thanks, Nick.

Nick: No, thank you, Mike!

Mike: No, thank you, Nick.

Nick: No, really, thank you so much, Mike. You saved me a bunch of money I don't have.

Mike: No, really, thank you Nick. Nobody does that except you.  

Nick: Well, if you don't want it, give it back

Mike: No, that's OK.  

Or some such dialogue..... And it just wasn't the 2000 Ranger.  He also helped me out a couple of times with my primary car, a 2005 Malibu with untold miles.  

Another time I'll give you another typical Mike-Nick dialogue that starts out with Mike saying, "You know, Nick, I used to hate your guts, but you're really not such a jerk once I got to know you."  Oh boy..... 

Mike is truly one of a kind and we've actually become pretty good friends.

5 hours ago, NickHolt said:

AND NICK IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE ..but nick some of the things you point out when woking with those darn racecar set ups or telling me i am wrong in what i am thinking ,,is priceless .. you have a great   heart bud .sure glad you are one of a kind i dont think we need or could handle two of you .. funny how we can get on here and say things some may take differently than what is meant i have  . nick an i have had that issue for along time . and i dont really  remember just how we got together down here  .but i found nick to be one heck of a person while working on his truck not this bad old moderator . and i think he found i am different in person when it comes to being serious ..i consider nick family  just like i consider everyone  here on speedzone or at a race track .that includes beach bum and toyota .

BY THE WAY NICK I STILL HAVE KNEE ISSUES .  but they are better .. you did have me crawling around that truck. and ill add i always told you and my other customers  here is my price .what you pay over that is up to you and it it does not go unthankfull  for the tip ...

Edited by HiTech