Marion Update?

Budman

On 5/13/2019 at 2:02 PM, Budman said:

Any updated info on what's happening in Marion?  Any progress? or lack thereof?

Last I talked to Danny (the head of the drift group) 2 weeks ago we are supposed to start working towards turning dirt on their end of the project before months end. The day that happens TRUST ME everyone will know; from there its up to me to bring the required sponsors to the table with serious commitments and last Danny talked to Essie that is a green light for us. 

Thanks for the update.  I am curious, that is a tough sell trying to secure sponsorship for a track that is not even built yet.   I doubt that it would be difficult at all to get a title sponsor if the track was built and a potential sponsor knew what he was sponsoring.   I doubt a Toyota, HEB, Valero, Napa,  Oreilly's  Auto Parts, etc would step up at this point.

Edited by toyotatim

9 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Thanks for the update.  I am curious, that is a tough sell trying to secure sponsorship for a track that is not even built yet.   I doubt that it would be difficult at all to get a title sponsor if the track was built and a potential sponsor knew what he was sponsoring.   I doubt a Toyota, HEB, Valero, Napa,  Oreilly's  Auto Parts, etc would step up at this point.

It is indeed a hard sell but how often are we given easy tasks in life? I’m going out to the next drift meet to work on the next steps and keep plugging away.

3 hours ago, King237 said:

I want to see this track opened sometime in the NEAR future.......will it happen? What do you think LSSZ viewers?

Most people don’t know I service (in a wholesale capacity) and build a mixture of the most specialized and/or neglected cars around for a living; I pay my bills by accomplishing things others would never take on or have given up on.

Near is a relative term in that I’m working with this group on the basis that it’s the best chance I currently see in the pipeline. I don’t know that it’s quick and I know it isn’t certain but it’s a shot I think is worth taking. I’d prefer this doesn’t become a referendum on who does or doesn’t think whoever else is full of it as it makes my tasks more difficult (you’d be surprised who reads speedzone and will ask me about this exchange) but that isn’t up to me. In the interim remember I’m not asking for anyone to do anything but keep an open mind, offer enthusiasm and (roughly translated from Nick Holt) if you know of any wealthy racing enthusiasts with money they’d like to invest in a racetrack people know where to find me.

I agree with King & Tim.....

We as Texas Racers & Race Fans are kind of tired of hearing fancy talking round about "Words" or we're in conversations, negotiations, Plans this, Plans that....., Financing this,  Financing that...., Searching for Partners here & there....,  things are looking up....., Progress is being made here & there....

Please spare us of all that behind the scenes Drama....

WE are all just Anxious for More Texas style Short Track Racing Venus,  but mostly a Fresh new Modern & Safe Asphalt Oval Track for local style short track racing yes, but other traveling type of racing series events & racing drivers from other asphalt racing series from other parts of the country as well.

As other members have stated many times,  Please find a way to Build it, and the Racers & fans will come out and support it with no doubt !!!  WE are Hungry for this track to be built...

So can we just get it done, with out all of the "Talking & Hype" we have been waiting to hear about pending race dates to be set,  what type of race classes, and rules packages so on and so forth to get our cars ready....But are still in the talking & planning stage...

We are really tired of Talk....Enough Fancy Talk or water cooler type of Gossip....We are needing a Race Track ASAP....

Either there is going to be a race track and it is going to open on this date w/planned race dates,  or if nothing is has been signed yet, or No race track due to Problems of some kind that fell through,  or we're still looking for that rich business man that likes racing... When any real concrete information is actually known !!!   then talk to us.....

That's what we want to hear one way or the other.....Please !!!!

thanks for your time....

Edited by metroracer

Metroracer,

When someone is attempting to get a track built, there are basically two ways to go about it.

1) Have the plans, financing, rules, and everything else in good order and then make the announcement when the 1st dirt is moved.

2) Have a good idea of what's needed, a couple of possible routes to take to get there and a lot of enthusiasm. Then launch a public relations campaign (raise the idea up the flagpole and see who salutes, as I like to say) and hope the funding and expertise needed shows up in support of one or the other of your good ideas. 

Many of the false alarms we are so used to around these parts were of the second variety. Some of the folks behind the efforts were good, honest folks, like James, trying to fill a void. Some weren't so well-meaning as we all well know. 

Personally, I have been directly involved with three efforts of the first variety. No one knew a thing about any of them at the time. 

One effort to rebuild San Antonio Speedway was a personal attempt I undertook several years ago.  I shared the results of that failed effort here on Lone Star Speedzone and my report has been used by some to claim that I am a naysayer and that the track can't be rebuilt and be financially viable unless someone is willing to show no profit for many years. It can be rebuilt, but it will indeed take lots of money and dedication of the part of the folks rebuilding the grand old lady. 

One of the two other attempts was close to becoming a reality, but I was left hanging with bills to pay and leases to break when the principal, who at one time was a major player in the aviation industry with plans to launch a regional airline,  vanished into thin air. I worked nearly full-time on the project for over a year and had involved a major Texas race team and a well-known Houston car builder in the plan since I was so certain this project would become a reality. No one else even knew about the deal and I was burned for five figures.  Still sort of recovering from that deal.  

More recently I was approached by some good folks about building a new asphalt track or rebuilding SAS. I showed one of the leaders of that group around and shared some ideas, but the actual money guy backed out early on due to all the negativity he saw on social media coming from racers bitching about tracks and track officials. He said he didn't need that sort of grief in his life and that was that.

So, which way is the way to go?  

James has made his plans public early on and when you do that, there will be folks who have painful memories of past failed episodes when hopes where high and then unceremoniously abandoned, leaving us with bitter thoughts and dashed hopes and half-built race cars.  

I have shared information offered some advice to James on this, and other initiatives he has in mind, and wish him well. 

Bottom line here is that we all need to be patient and let things develop at a pace that everyone directly involved is comfortable with.  Putting pressure on the owner and James at this point is simply not helping anything.

Nick 

1 hour ago, NickHolt said:

Metroracer,

When someone is attempting to get a track built, there are basically two ways to go about it.

1) Have the plans, financing, rules, and everything else in good order and then make the announcement when the 1st dirt is moved.

2) Have a good idea of what's needed, a couple of possible routes to take to get there and a lot of enthusiasm. Then launch a public relations campaign (raise the idea up the flagpole and see who salutes, as I like to say) and hope the funding and expertise needed shows up in support of one or the other of your good ideas. 

Many of the false alarms we are so used to around these parts were of the second variety. Some of the folks behind the efforts were good, honest folks, like James, trying to fill a void. Some weren't so well-meaning as we all well know. 

Personally, I have been directly involved with three efforts of the first variety. No one knew a thing about any of them at the time. 

One effort to rebuild San Antonio Speedway was a personal attempt I undertook several years ago.  I shared the results of that failed effort here on Lone Star Speedzone and my report has been used by some to claim that I am a naysayer and that the track can't be rebuilt and be financially viable unless someone is willing to show no profit for many years. It can be rebuilt, but it will indeed take lots of money and dedication of the part of the folks rebuilding the grand old lady. 

One of the two other attempts was close to becoming a reality, but I was left hanging with bills to pay and leases to break when the principal, who at one time was a major player in the aviation industry with plans to launch a regional airline,  vanished into thin air. I worked nearly full-time on the project for over a year and had involved a major Texas race team and a well-known Houston car builder in the plan since I was so certain this project would become a reality. No one else even knew about the deal and I was burned for five figures.  Still sort of recovering from that deal.  

More recently I was approached by some good folks about building a new asphalt track or rebuilding SAS. I showed one of the leaders of that group around and shared some ideas, but the actual money guy backed out early on due to all the negativity he saw on social media coming from racers bitching about tracks and track officials. He said he didn't need that sort of grief in his life and that was that.

So, which way is the way to go?  

James has made his plans public early on and when you do that, there will be folks who have painful memories of past failed episodes when hopes where high and then unceremoniously abandoned, leaving us with bitter thoughts and dashed hopes and half-built race cars.  

I have shared information offered some advice to James on this, and other initiatives he has in mind, and wish him well. 

Bottom line here is that we all need to be patient and let things develop at a pace that everyone directly involved is comfortable with.  Putting pressure on the owner and James at this point is simply not helping anything.

Nick 

Thank you for offering the explanation; you’re 100% on the money.

This isn’t the first or even the second time I’ve helped with a project like this; I’d much prefer no  public announcement be made until the project is at a much later stage but in the case of Essie and the first individual I was helping they have both been very interested in reading what people have to say about the potential for a track. I’ve got a thick skin so I don’t mind being the middle man if the end result is what we’re all working for. In both cases mentioned above have also been asked to look for sponsorship help and as such had to reach out to the public.

I didn’t realize the truth of what Nick Holt has been saying for years until the first time someone I was working with on a project said “Metroracer said such and such online”. People making posts on ACM’s Facebook page is what got me the first meeting with Essie BUT more often than not when we talk other less-positive conversations pop-up. It is what it is; my point is to reiterate what I’d said last night and what Nick Holt has been saying for years; social media can be a huge tool or our biggest road block.

If you DO still feel the need to lay into someone send me a PM, I’ll bring a six pack and you can berate me as long as you’d like...it’ll be good practice for when a track finally is in place!

Tim, i am not sure this is a good definition of weather or not it can work. But i understand what you are saying. I would like to bring up the point that many organizations have a team put in place that looks out for that type of stuff, meaning sponsorships. Local racers most likely need to do there own leg work. I am not sure if John mandabach had anyone helping him secure sponsorship for HMP or not. But i don’t think he was the owner of the track. Gene Hass is probably not out beating the bushes for sponsorship for his race team. They employ a team of folks to do that for them. I suspect they may help close a deal if needed. But any owner would do that. So to make the blanket statement that the fella doesn’t have the confidence needed going into the deal is accurate. 

13 hours ago, metroracer said:

Either there is going to be a race track and it is going to open on this date w/planned race dates,  or if nothing is has been signed yet, or No race track due to Problems of some kind that fell through,  or we're still looking for that rich business man that likes racing... When any real concrete information is actually known !!!   then talk to us.....

I agree with MetroRacer 200% on this one.....I believe he states that because info was released getting everyones hopes up and then they are dashed later...Its comparable to Christmas being on Dec 25 and Santa Claus did not show up with presents. Think how disappointed racers must be.

13 hours ago, metroracer said:

Please spare us of all that behind the scenes Drama....

I agree with this statement by MetroRacer as well.....sometimes racers and promoters can be their own worst enemy. A paper cut happens at 8am and due to gossip, changing the story with embellishment and perceived notions, the paper cut has become an amputated arm by 5PM.

11 hours ago, NickHolt said:

but the actual money guy backed out early on due to all the negativity he saw on social media coming from racers bitching about tracks and track officials. He said he didn't need that sort of grief in his life and that was that.

I have no idea what happens on "other sites" specifically Facebook since the company I work for  has a specific company policy stating that bashing the company on social media sites is an offense that can lead to termination of employment so I chose not to even view it or be a member. Nicks comment I completely get and I can see why the guy with the dollars decided not to get involved. As stated previously on this site, someone told me over 15 years ago that social media bashing is what killed a 50 year old track I raced at as a kid. It did it in a mere 2 year period. We don't need to do this and again, Nick doesn't allow it anyway.

In conclusion, I asked the question specifically to keep this track relevant and on everyone's mind because we are down to one (1) asphalt racetrack in the entire state and its very important that we not let this one get away. This is the only reason I brought it up. I am pretty sure that every person with a asphalt race car wants this track to be built, succeed and THRIVE for years to come.

King237,

James and I were glad that you asked the question. I gave him another opportunity to be transparent and honest about the status of the project. James is to be encouraged as he deals with whatever issues seem to stand in the way of progress!

Nick

17 hours ago, rails said:

Tim, i am not sure this is a good definition of weather or not it can work. But i understand what you are saying. I would like to bring up the point that many organizations have a team put in place that looks out for that type of stuff, meaning sponsorships. Local racers most likely need to do there own leg work. I am not sure if John mandabach had anyone helping him secure sponsorship for HMP or not. But i don’t think he was the owner of the track. Gene Hass is probably not out beating the bushes for sponsorship for his race team. They employ a team of folks to do that for them. I suspect they may help close a deal if needed. But any owner would do that. So to make the blanket statement that the fella doesn’t have the confidence needed going into the deal is accurate. 

John Mandabach was family and their families life was dependant on making it work.  Tim Bryants life is dependant on Five Flags Speedway and he makes it work.   I respect was James H is trying to do, but he has a family to take care of and that is more important than a race track.   If Esse thought he could make it work, as is, it would be built.  He must feel that there is not enough support or outside sponsorship to make it work.  I am not sure one car showed up at the car show.  Gene Haas puts his own money in the race team to keep them on the track, because he has the confidence they can sell  enough sponsorships to be competitive. 

The bottom line is, if your life depends on it, you can make it happen.  James must be commended for his efforts.