Harvick Penalty after Texas

RodneyRodriguez

The No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing team has been issued an L1-level penalty following driver Kevin Harvick’s win Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway, an infraction that carries major championship implications in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

The team violated Section 20.4.12 of the NASCAR Rule Book that is specific to spoilers. Spoilers must be used exactly as supplied from the manufacturer and not altered. The infraction was discovered in post-race tear down at the NASCAR Research & Development Center.

As a result, Harvick has been docked 40 driver points and the team loses 40 owner points as well. Harvick’s win at Texas no longer automatically qualifies the team for the Championship 4 in Miami. He will enter this weekend’s Round of 8 finale fourth among eight playoff drivers in the standings, three points above the cutline – should there be a tie for the final transfer spot, Harvick cannot use the Texas win in the tiebreaking procedure.

Additionally, both crew chief Rodney Childers and car chief Robert Smith have been suspended for the next two races – ISM Raceway at Phoenix and the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Childers also has been fined $75,000.

I'm glad they found something and penalized him. If only they would do that to all they find and increase the penalty each time for the same infraction. It does hurt but he is still 4th in points. He's also going to a track he runs very well at. As lone as he doesn't get into any trouble he should be ok to race for a championship in Miami.

The total DQ has caused many locals to quit racing.  Putting everything you have into the car and you are 1/2 % too much leftside or the spoiler is 200 to 300 thousands offset and you are DQ'd?     The punishment fits the crime for Harvick.   Too many people want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.   I have seen people get DQ'd because their transponder was 1"  off.  

I like the days when they removed a guys fuel cell and was measuring it when he got mad and got in the car, started it up, and drove off.    LOL

I read a book Darrell Waltrip put out years ago. He talked about a couple of things they did. He said they use to fill the frame rail full of BB's. When he got on the track he would loosen a bolt for his jack pad and let the BB's out. They also took some lead and shaped it and painted it to look like one of those old brick radios. Of course after tech they would replace it. But I still say rules are rules and everyone has to obey. If your transponder is off 1 inch you're in violation. I had my car always in spec. I've had people tell me to do this or that but I never would. Not my style. I'd rather race someone clean and legal and lose then to race someone and win while cheating. To me that would actually take the thrill away for the win.

I'm not speaking to the Harvick thing as I have no clue what happened or anything, more speaking on a local level. In our day and age with the top few spending literal thousands to gain .01/lap, spend the time in the shop to make sure the stuff is legal. 1/2% left is a lot. 1" on transponder placement is a lot. Push the envelope all you want, but if it opens, there should be consequences and it's no one's fault but your own. Rules should be enforceable and enforced; otherwise why have rules?

49 minutes ago, TexasAggie13 said:

I'm not speaking to the Harvick thing as I have no clue what happened or anything, more speaking on a local level. In our day and age with the top few spending literal thousands to gain .01/lap, spend the time in the shop to make sure the stuff is legal. 1/2% left is a lot. 1" on transponder placement is a lot. Push the envelope all you want, but if it opens, there should be consequences and it's no one's fault but your own. Rules should be enforceable and enforced; otherwise why have rules?

Like.thumb.jpg.ff93822b7ae64271c201e3b0a0f2442e.jpg

5 hours ago, toyotatim said:

The total DQ has caused many locals to quit racing.  Putting everything you have into the car and you are 1/2 % too much leftside or the spoiler is 200 to 300 thousands offset and you are DQ'd?     The punishment fits the crime for Harvick.   Too many people want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.   I have seen people get DQ'd because their transponder was 1"  off.  

I like the days when they removed a guys fuel cell and was measuring it when he got mad and got in the car, started it up, and drove off.    LOL

That's absurd Tim.....I've seen more people quit local racing because tech WASN'T being enforced. Fact!

I watched a TMS Dirt Track race that 1" on transponder placement might have changed the winner in a photo finish. Fact!

The only race I ever won was due to a DQ....I feel CHEATED out of a victory lap, the accolades of the crowd and my name as winner in the regional racing paper....The car owner thankfully grabbed the photographer or I'd have gotten CHEATED out of that too. Fact!

If I get beat I want to know they did it by being better than me, whether in driving or shop prep.....I'm sure most local racers feel the same way.

Until NA$CAR quits coddling the cheaters they will continue to do so. Either totally enforce the rules, or drop the rules. #runwhatyabrung

Dirt tracks race for peanuts.  The upper level  is a show made for TV where BBBBBBBBBBBBiiilllions are being spent.  They dont want to kill the Golden Goose, the TV/Live streaming  people and fans watching it.    They watched a race, the left and in their minds, he won the race.  Why punish the fans.  The driver and team are punished through the points deductions.   You have to has some sort of balance there.  If you kill the guy with the money, you are done.  The stakes are not as high at a local track.   But, you cant bet, if you aint pushing the envelope, you aint winning there either.   The guys that complain about tech at short tracks are the backmarkers that cheat and still get beat. 

PS  Phoenix is Sold out

You can say dirt races for peanuts all you want but the fact that we race for less makes my point even stronger.  If a nascar team is DQed it doesn't hurt them.  They just go on to the next race.  If a dirt racer or local asphalt racer gets DQed it could be the difference between being able to race the next race or having to stay home.  I personally think that there should be a DQ penalty scale.  If it's a small infraction then no points,  no money, and crew chief gone for 1 race.  All the way up to complete suspension of the team for a year.  

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

You can say dirt races for peanuts all you want but the fact that we race for less makes my point even stronger.  If a nascar team is DQed it doesn't hurt them.  They just go on to the next race.  If a dirt racer or local asphalt racer gets DQed it could be the difference between being able to race the next race or having to stay home.  I personally think that there should be a DQ penalty scale.  If it's a small infraction then no points,  no money, and crew chief gone for 1 race.  All the way up to complete suspension of the team for a year.  

AGREE .. ….I suppose tim  has no hands on with local racings ..it hurts some teams to get a dq over something small .but rules are rules and if a track wont run by its rules  that hurts every one .we strive to meet the rules as written ..interpretation  has its bearing ,,

Dirt tracks race for peanuts.

Oh please....At the end of this year there have been several 5k, 10k, 15k races to win with good pay down....True it's not in the "billions"(LMFAO) you refer to(I wish they still posted purse money to each driver per race), but when compared to costs of cars/teams locally vs NA$CAR....I'd bet it's equivalent....Next year the new VADO Speedway has 50K to win race coming.....Hardly "peanuts" to local racers.

If sponsors don't like their cars being DQ'd, perhaps they should tell them not to cheat?

Funny that Childers made the comment that EVERY car in the pits was cheating......I wonder if Daytona Beach is in Broward county?thinking-face_1f914.png.a05262ba70d532a4bed06191506d41e1.png....Just sayin'.

Generally speaking from many years of local short track experience, the top 3 or 4 competitors getting teched regularly are probably the most legal race cars (although they take advantage of what the rules allow). The 5 thru 9 racers have convinced themselves that the only reason they aren't winning is because they need to stretch the rules more (so they do).  The back markers who are rarely teched have a lot of nitpicking things illegal on their cars, but they either don't realize it, haven't studied the rules, or they don't care. Of course, they believe they are 100% legal.

It may be dumb, but so are some of the rules.  I remember when there was a ride height rule after the race.  They would roll the ride height checker under the car after the race.   All front runners were running soft springs in the front and the front of the cars were scraping under race conditions.  Did not see many winners without sparks flying a few laps.  So why have a ride height rule?  To sell springs, right?  People were having to buy exotic metal springs and some of those guys were spending $1500 per front spring so the car would pass after the race.  The conventional springs were so soft, the would collapse and not hold the car up after a race.   That run lots of folks off, the dudes with the Purple Exotics Springs won all of the races at HMP doing that

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Nathan said:

That's one of the dumbest things I have seen on here in a while.  Of course you can win without "pushing the envelope ". 

missed by 9 points of winning sts championship last year ..car was by the rules .nothing fancy and an old car ..

Who really cares  right?  Just cheat em up a little and run em.   We have been so good doing it here in Texas, all of the asphalt tracks shut down.   Now one is open part time.  But, lets keep doing the same and we will get the same results.    

I really dont care about dirt tracks.  I want the fresh looking late models roaring on Asphalt.  

Archived