Houston Motorsports Park results, May 11, 2024

Houston Motorsports Park results, May 11, 2024 from myracepass.com

NASKARTS

A Feature 1: 1. 93-Chad Rogers[3]; 2. 46-Mike Steinman[1]; 3. 51-Carson Green[5]; 4. 11-Steve Benet[4]; 5. 99-Scott Sanne[6]; 6. 12-Robert McKinney[2]

PRO LEGENDS

A Feature 1 (20 Laps): 1. 81-Christopher Hogan[1]; 2. 04-Dane Schwarz[3]; 3. 88-Rusty Young[2]; 4. 4-Todd Mcldmore[4]; 5. 24-Evan Schwarz[5]; 6. 80-Jerry Young[6]; 7. 17-Tim Rasmussen[8]; 8. 9-Jamie Call[7]; 9. 22-Dalton Wayne[9]; 10. 18-Austin Call[10]

Heat 1 (8 Laps): 1. 81-Christopher Hogan[2]; 2. 88-Rusty Young[3]; 3. 04-Dane Schwarz[1]; 4. 4-Todd Mcldmore[5]; 5. 24-Evan Schwarz[4]; 6. 80-Jerry Young[7]; 7. 9-Jamie Call[6]; 8. 17-Tim Rasmussen[10]; 9. 22-Dalton Wayne[8]; 10. 18-Austin Call[9]

Qualifying: 1. 04-Dane Schwarz, 00:16.128[6]; 2. 81-Christopher Hogan, 00:16.214[3]; 3. 88-Rusty Young, 00:16.255[10]; 4. 24-Evan Schwarz, 00:16.262[7]; 5. 4-Todd Mcldmore, 00:16.339[4]; 6. 9-Jamie Call, 00:16.509[2]; 7. 80-Jerry Young, 00:16.583[9]; 8. 22-Dalton Wayne, 00:16.604[8]; 9. 18-Austin Call, 00:16.826[1]; 10. 17-Tim Rasmussen, 00:16.999[5]

SIGMA ECO STOCKS

A Feature 1 (20 Laps): 1. 58-Kahlen Koch[5]; 2. 70-Brent Devoti[1]; 3. 88-Troy Covin[4]; 4. 45-Jim Storr[7]; 5. 5P-Patrick Guerrero[8]; 6. 37-Richard Smith[10]; 7. 83-Chris McCracken[6]; 8. 56-Lee Arnold[9]; 9. 7-Malcolm Richards[11]; 10. 3-Doug Gibson[2]; 11. 197-Anthony Salyers[12]; 12. 74-Mike Mecum[3]

Heat 1 (6 Laps): 1. 70-Brent Devoti[3]; 2. 74-Mike Mecum[5]; 3. 58-Kahlen Koch[6]; 4. 45-Jim Storr[4]; 5. 56-Lee Arnold[2]; 6. 7-Malcolm Richards[1]

Heat 2 (6 Laps): 1. 3-Doug Gibson[5]; 2. 88-Troy Covin[6]; 3. 83-Chris McCracken[4]; 4. 5P-Patrick Guerrero[3]; 5. 37-Richard Smith[2]; 6. 197-Anthony Salyers[1]

Qualifying: 1. 58-Kahlen Koch[6]; 2. 70-Brent Devoti[3]; 3. 88-Troy Covin[2]; 4. 45-Jim Storr[12]; 5. 5P-Patrick Guerrero[5]; 6. 37-Richard Smith[11]; 7. 83-Chris McCracken[7]; 8. 56-Lee Arnold[1]; 9. 7-Malcolm Richards[9]; 10. 3-Doug Gibson[4]; 11. 197-Anthony Salyers[10]; 12. 74-Mike Mecum[8]

OUTLAWS

A Feature 1 (30 Laps): 1. 88-Brandon Spreen[3]; 2. 9-JD Legg[2]; 3. 99-Allen Alexander[4]; 4. 22-Corey Winne[6]; 5. 71-Deed Dupont[5]; 6. 17-Robert Barker[1]

HURRICANE AUTOMOTIVE HMP STOCK CARS

A Feature 1 (20 Laps): 1. 45-Patrick Villarreal[3]; 2. 12-Adam Haugh[2]; 3. 8C-Will Carter[1]; 4. 179-Grnat Whitney[4]; 5. 8*-Tim Homeyer[6]; 6. 59-Jason Oltman[5]

Heat 1 (8 Laps): 1. 8C-Will Carter[1]; 2. 12-Adam Haugh[6]; 3. 45-Patrick Villarreal[5]; 4. 179-Grnat Whitney[4]; 5. 59-Jason Oltman[2]; 6. 8*-Tim Homeyer[3]

PRO MODIFIED

A Feature 1 (30 Laps): 1. 54-Diogo Moscato[1]; 2. 79-Joe Aramendia[2]; 3. 7K-Kenneth Canales[3]; 4. 14-Nathan Caldwell[4]; 5. 26-Bob Slezinsky[5]; 6. (DNS) 8C-Hunter Curry; 7. (DNS) 118-Jason Ferre Sr; 8. (DNS) 72-Johnny Walker

GRC RACING LONE STAR LEGACY

A Feature 1 (20 Laps): 1. 57-Kahlen Koch[1]; 2. 54-Ty Hymel[7]; 3. 5-Brian Benedict[3]; 4. 148-Daniel Canales[5]; 5. 48-Mike Knotts[2]; 6. 51-Carson Green[14]; 7. 23-Alexis Sampson[6]; 8. 25-Riley Allen[10]; 9. 26-Calvin Johnston[9]; 10. 71-Kevin Dority[15]; 11. 999-Robert McKinney[11]; 12. 3-Delilah May[13]; 13. 04-Colton Cook[4]; 14. 99-Chad Rogers[12]; 15. 19-Colton Gillinger[16]; 16. 711-Juan Vallarta[8]

PRO TRUCKS

A Feature 1 (30 Laps): 1. 48-Jake Wright[1]; 2. 15-Case James[2]; 3. 777-Matthew Remore Weaver[3]; 4. 9-Christopher Ballard[4]

Two weekends in a row is tough on a track where most the drivers are traveling 2-3 hours and have families on Mother's Day weekend.

One the trucks that was going to run didn't because it got torn up by some rental kid that caused two cautions in the first three laps last week.  

I understand the modified lost two cars in practice due to a rental car kid driving straight into a bunch of cars stopped during practice.

Outlaw car count was about normal for that class.  

Stock Car class was good, none of the bootleggers showed up ( again, double header, tough on folks ) but Factory stocks did.  That class is now in the double digits with cars that are coming and going, combining them is great and will develop it further.  Several folks I know are looking at it hard with the lack of rental kids too, myself included.

Legends is also doing super well.  That is probably the most Houston-Centric class with 8 cars in the Houston area, all of the guys in that class working together.  I think 5 of them are at the same shop in the Conroe area, 2 are in Houston, and I know another 3-4 getting put together that should be on track soon, so they can be at the track almost any time it is open since they all live within 45 minutes of the track and they all don't tear stuff up in that class and race super respectfully knowing if they tear up stuff they're just hurting themselves.

Legacy was strong too.

The double header + mothers day weekend was tough on a few folks. Have to choose between supporting the track or spending time with family.  The weekend that wasn't competing with family time / holiday seemed to fare better on car count.

Not trying to be cynical/negative just stating some data points.  I'm sure I'm a horrible person for doing so.  smh.

I know one the legacy guys who got tore up pretty badly ended up renting a Legend this weekend.  It was one of the ones when a car spun, everyone checked up....except...a...well, a rental car kid, that pushed one of Knott's cars right into a parked car destroying three cars.  

Can't make this stuff up.  People are sick of it, and they're afraid to say anything because people get crucified for it.  You've got guys who own/run their own equipment who want to commit to the track, but they don't want to risk having their work destroyed in practice or on the first two laps by some child who some team has convinced their parents they're going to be class champion.  It's a pretty obvious and isolated problem.  Easy to solve.

Edited by MikePeters95

It is not always just the rental kids.  We need them, they bring the cash man.  I wish we had more of them around with money.  When we had a bunch of them, we had a nice Pro-Late model class.  That is the class people come out to see.  With all of the money in Oil City USA (Houston), it boggles my mind why we cant het 15 to 20 Late Models.  The fans and sponsorship will follow.  I dont see a major sponsor jumping on board for the current race card

It's looking like the Ledgen's & Legacy's are the Best Strength of Car Counts for Sure.  Nick's Right,  The Pro-Trucks use to be the Car Count Leader for very long time....

Come on Racers,  Try to get those Cars & Trucks out to the track & Support the Last Paved Track in this Part of the Country.

I would my self....   But I have an Classic style Asphalt Street Stock......   Unfortunately it won't fit to the Current Rules Direction of the HMP Stock Cars / Factory Stock.   I have been hoping to get it sold to a young HMP racer.  But it Won't fit the Stock Car Rules!!!!

However, Thanks for Listening ......

18 hours ago, metroracer said:

I would my self....   But I have an Classic style Asphalt Street Stock......   Unfortunately it won't fit to the Current Rules Direction of the HMP Stock Cars / Factory Stock.   I have been hoping to get it sold to a young HMP racer.  But it Won't fit the Stock Car Rules!!!!

Have you attempted in any way to talk to the  track staff Owen or Karl?  I am pretty sure you haven't, otherwise they would have already told you like they'll tell about anyone, bring it out, run it, and they will work with you/anyone to get just about anything on track.

21 hours ago, 24nomo said:

It is not always just the rental kids.  We need them, they bring the cash man.  I wish we had more of them around with money.  When we had a bunch of them, we had a nice Pro-Late model class.  That is the class people come out to see.  With all of the money in Oil City USA (Houston), it boggles my mind why we cant het 15 to 20 Late Models.  The fans and sponsorship will follow.  I dont see a major sponsor jumping on board for the current race card

Texas also used to have 9 operational tracks with 50+ pro late models, before the target demographic for motorsports got tired of <10% of the field tearing up 90% of everyone's equipment, and now here we are.  lol.  NASA/SCCA any other wheel to wheel racing requires about $1500 in competition school and they will 100% tell you not to come out...since we wanted to talk about things we used to have.

The show at HMP is fine, I think the double header some the racers were humbled a little with their ambition being faced with reality, folks cant' travel 10+ hours twice in two weeks, and the kids are being policed better, but again, 10% of the field, 90% of the problems.  

Anywho.

Really?  When did they have 9 tracks with 50+ pro late models?   Never, that is when.   The track is doing what is can but there is just very little interest here in Texas.  In the past 25 years or so, There was a 3 or 4 year window where Texas had 4 asphalt tracks running.  Kyle, San Antonio, Houston and Corpus Christi, for the Late Models.  Everyone has there own reasons why it all went away, but the best days were when the rental guys were throwing money around renting cars and sponsoring tracks.    Other parts of the Southeast are booming with Late Models with lots of rental rides.   Here in Texas, we cant even get guys who want to buy tires.  LOL

Edited by 24nomo

41 minutes ago, MikePeters95 said:

Have you attempted in any way to talk to the  track staff Owen or Karl?  I am pretty sure you haven't, otherwise they would have already told you like they'll tell about anyone, bring it out, run it, and they will work with you/anyone to get just about anything on track.

Yes I have Talked to Owen last year.   And he did say:  Yah Bring it out here, We will let you race!!!   But I said: but the Bootlegger rules clearly state: NO AFTER MARKET PLASTIC OR FIBER GLASS BODY PANELS!!!!  He said Yah Just bring it out and we let you race as it is !!!!   I am Sorry: But that is like Tortes & The Hare Racing around the track just to get some sort of cars running on the track to Benefit them.....

I am Sorry Mike....   I am a Racing Class PUREST = Street Stocks under their rules race together for a championship separately, & The Factory Stocks race for their Championship for them self's Separately....

All of the other Race Classes Don't Do that Race Together Stuff.

Yes,  I understand that they are trying to grow those classes.   To me, That is No Way to Run A Railroad.....    Promoters are for Promoters, I,ve been around the block a few times with them from way back.....   And that is a Fact....

Every Track in America has a Street Stock Class except my Local Track,  Street Stocks are American as Apple Pie.....

I race with Compatible Street Stocks, or I don't Race....    And Yes I'll Stop Bitching about it too....

However, Thanks for Listening....

Edited by metroracer

26 minutes ago, 24nomo said:

Really?  When did they have 9 tracks with 50+ pro late models?   Never, that is when.   The track is doing what is can but there is just very little interest here in Texas.  In the past 25 years or so, There was a 3 or 4 year window where Texas had 4 asphalt tracks running.  Kyle, San Antonio, Houston and Corpus Christi, for the Late Models.  Everyone has there own reasons why it all went away, but the best days were when the rental guys were throwing money around renting cars and sponsoring tracks.    Other parts of the Southeast are booming with Late Models with lots of rental rides.   Here in Texas, we cant even get guys who want to buy tires.  LOL

Well, you seem to have forgotten a track in Austin, Wichita Falls, Odessa, TMS, a few layouts at TWS, etc etc etc not to mention the 3-4 tracks Oklahoma had.  There was even a touring series, there were a couple.  I thought you guys were supposed to be the historians here? lol.  I remember watching some ROMCO races as a kid thinking it was super cool, plenty of places, including this place, document the people, and places of that completely different era.  The more I read the posts here sometimes I think half you guys are just here to complain about " The way it was " but you can't even remember the way it was.  Ironic.  I just don't get it.

Then we have someone else saying " I wish I had somewhere to race " then going on record, again, stating the track has told them to bring it out, but they don't.  I just don't get it.

I'm sure I'll get some interesting replies.  Maybe I'll get the guy who claims there is $50k in sponsorships that's easy to find for any team until you tell him every local team will give him 50% commission to go find them, lol.

Come on dudes.

There is zero doubt in my mind about finding 50 grand in sponsorship in Houston.   If you cant do that, you probably dont need to be racing.

Your business model is the reason it is broke now.  50% Commission is over the top.  You should use that 50% as sponsor activation instead of beer money.  Too many people raise sponsorship money and blow it.....

On 5/14/2024 at 9:55 AM, MikePeters95 said:

Well, you seem to have forgotten a track in Austin, Wichita Falls, Odessa, TMS, a few layouts at TWS, etc etc etc not to mention the 3-4 tracks Oklahoma had. 

Sorry Bro, not one of those tracks ever ran a Pro Late Model

On 5/13/2024 at 11:51 AM, 24nomo said:

I'm not in Houston but the company I work for has an office there. A few times now we have sent coworkers and their families to the races as a company perk. I always try and follow up with them to get their thoughts. There does seem to be a couple constants themes that I don't want to share publicly but number one is always no late models. Even more so for the kids.  I was told by one dad his kids were very disappointed there were no "nascars". Granted I don't think they need to be SLM or PLM, they could be almost anything with a full car body and they wouldn't have known the difference. That's all I'm saying.🤐

I applaud the efforts everyone has put into HMP but it is going to be a tough road. Being the closest asphalt track is about 500 miles away makes it next to impossible to grow. Add to that 105 and Cotton Bowl being strong in car counts. And several dirt tracks has big purses for different classes regularly. And I bet tires cost more than $45 . I wish HMP luck.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:51 AM, 24nomo said:

WELL PUT YOUR MONEY INTO A CAR and go race with the rental kids ...see how that works out for u .. rental kids do not have to finance  and build their cars .. just get in thinking  aint nutten to it ..  .my brother and i spent 37 hours around the clock  at the shop  putting my brand new car together for a tps race in corpus on a very cold weekend  along time ago . i had new car blues in qualifying  and started dead last  in the last chance race . back where u realiy didnt want to be ,i had three cars around me with questional  driving skills .. one i believe  was in one of mike knots rentals if i am correct  who  never  been on the track before .. . .. wow that was very scary . went green  off turn two the rental driver went left full throtle and boom nailed the guy in fornt of me  as i looked to my left the rental driver was flipping right beside me ..  he took out  the two cars around me  and was going to land on top  of me in my brand new  two laps only  car i built  .had i not stood on the  throtle   and drove   through   his landing sight    he would have detroyed my car ..i was very lucky . three others were not .. u do not just climb into a racecar and go for broke  .and realy i think no one should rent a racecar to a rookie like that .. it does not pay off  for the car owners and builders amd track .. . case in point right there in houston ...  how many cars were out becuase of it  ,teams are not going to go racing where they know thier cars are going to be wrecked by  rookies ..  and we all start out rookies i know  .. big differents when u own the car .... .they bring the cash u said  at what cost to the others .that balance does not compute .

Edited by HiTech

2 hours ago, HiTech said:

WELL PUT YOUR MONEY INTO A CAR and go race with the rental kids ...see how that works out for u .. rental kids do not have to finance  and build their cars .. just get in thinking  aint nutten to it ..  .my brother and i spent 37 hours around the clock  at the shop  putting my brand new car together for a tps race in corpus on a very cold weekend  along time ago . i had new car blues in qualifying  and started dead last  in the last chance race . back where u realiy didnt want to be ,i had three cars around me with questional  driving skills .. one i believe  was in one of mike knots rentals if i am correct  who  never  been on the track before .. . .. wow that was very scary . went green  off turn two the rental driver went left full throtle and boom nailed the guy in fornt of me  as i looked to my left the rental driver was flipping right beside me ..  he took out  the two cars around me  and was going to land on top  of me in my brand new  two laps only  car i built  .had i not stood on the  throtle   and drove   through   his landing sight    he would have detroyed my car ..i was very lucky . three others were not .. u do not just climb into a racecar and go for broke  .and realy i think no one should rent a racecar to a rookie like that .. it does not pay off  for the car owners and builders amd track .. . case in point right there in houston ...  how many cars were out becuase of it  ,teams are not going to go racing where they know thier cars are going to be wrecked by  rookies ..  and we all start out rookies i know  .. big differents when u own the car .... .they bring the cash u said  at what cost to the others .that balance does not compute .

Well put HiTech. When rental kids gets into cars they have no idea how much time, money and effort went into putting the car together. Most likely they don't even care. 

The Rental kids are helping Pops make the money, not working on race cars,  so they can come out and race nice looking Late Models and bring their girlfriends in skimpy shorts.  We need more of them.    

On 5/17/2024 at 5:18 AM, HiTech said:

Well said.  

On 5/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, 24nomo said:

Sorry Bro, not one of those tracks ever ran a Pro Late Model

For someone who lives on a message board that has more history than anywhere else, sure, you're right.  TIDA never existed lol.  Ironically I only heard about some these tracks from a guy who raced TIDA.

Good old forums, where folks just have to argue behind an anonymous screen name.  Never change internet, never change.

5e87a328c7dc2_Light4-3-89.thumb.jpg.d1acf4e6d1853c315fa6bf7ae2e9a5c4.jpg

Hey bruh, TIDA did not run Pro Late Models and neither did any of the 9 tracks you mentioned.  You do know the difference in Pro Late Models/Super Late Models, Late Model Stocks, dont you?  If not, I can explain it for you.   My reference earlier was to the Pro Late Model Class at HMP was highly successful.    Hang around the rental boys and the internet gang, it can be educational

Edited by 24nomo