South Texas Championship

RodneyRodriguez

"how have y'all missed this?

Well, somebody had to be the first to post it on here for us to know about it, and that somebody was you!  I think promoters think everyone is on F@#!Book (I have little/no interest in being on that) and these forums seem to be somewhat neglected these days as far as news.

The series is good news.  The big news (to my mind), barely alluded to in the video, is Mary Ann may not be running Cotton Bowl next year.  Whatever happens there - I hope it is the long-term best interest of keeping the track open.

Edited by texasprd

Owen may recall that there was an effort to get the asphalt Texas short tracks together back in the day.  It failed when one track decided to go their own way.

I applaud these South Texas dirt tracks for pulling this off.

Here's hoping 2024 sees more cooperation amongst these tracks.

3 hours ago, texasprd said:

"how have y'all missed this?

Well, somebody had to be the first to post it on here for us to know about it, and that somebody was you!  I think promoters think everyone is on F@#!Book (I have little/no interest in being on that) and these forums seem to be somewhat neglected these days as far as news.

The series is good news.  The big news (to my mind), barely alluded to in the video, is Mary Ann may not be running Cotton Bowl next year.  Whatever happens there - I hope it is the long-term best interest of keeping the track open.

This particular forum is completely neglected by the promoters. It’s unreal.

5 hours ago, Bobby said:

I've about taken the stance  - If they don't care if I know, I don't care if I go. 

Call me jaded, I don't care.  It is what it is.

I can understand that. I have no idea how many people log onto this forum. I don’t do the face book deal, but it seems to me this would be a simple universal spot to throw some information on about the upcoming activities at any given track.

1 hour ago, rails said:

I can understand that. I have no idea how many people log onto this forum. I don’t do the face book deal, but it seems to me this would be a simple universal spot to throw some information on about the upcoming activities at any given track.

I'm a long-time FB user and have nothing against the platform.  But it's an absolutely horrible outlet if you want to do a quick skim of multiple tracks to get a feel for what is going on.  Track management likes it because it's a one-stop place to put information for all their audiences (racers, track workers, sponsors, fans).  They don't have to segment their communications.  That works for someone who is mostly dedicated to one track and hangs on the edge of their seat for every scrap of information from that track. 

But if you are a fan who has disconnected from, or never wanted to be connected to all the minutia, and wants to skim the tracks within driving range for high level info, it's highly inefficient.  A friend asked me the source of the news about Cotton Bowl.  It took me a long time to find it.  

People might say "Well, if you were a real fan......blah, blah".  You know what?  There are hundreds of messages competing for my eyeballs.  There are maybe six tracks I would like to monitor.  But if they want my eyeballs, the info has to be easy to find.  It is hard enough to screen out the crap I don't want from people looking for me without taking additional time to look for what should be looking for me but isn't. 

Let me turn this around - What about "Well, if you were a promoter.....".   The word promoter used to have a meaning that related to promotion.  The only promoters I can recall off the top of my head have been Mandelbach and Gina.  Now it is a glorified term for Track Operator.  The attitude seems to be that people will beat a path to their track (when they haven't before) just because they are now the operator.  

How hard would it be to also paste some of the big picture items from the FB page onto Speedzone at the same time it's put on FB?    Here, the format makes it very easy to focus on what you care about vs. what you do not.

Edited by Bobby

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

I'm a long-time FB user and have nothing against the platform.  But it's an absolutely horrible outlet if you want to do a quick skim of multiple tracks to get a feel for what is going on.  Track management likes it because it's a one-stop place to put information for all their audiences (racers, track workers, sponsors, fans).  They don't have to segment their communications.  That works for someone who is mostly dedicated to one track and hangs on the edge of their seat for every scrap of information from that track. 

But if you are a fan who has disconnected from, or never wanted to be connected to all the minutia, and wants to skim the tracks within driving range for high level info, it's highly inefficient.  A friend asked me the source of the news about Cotton Bowl.  It took me a long time to find it.  

People might say "Well, if you were a real fan......blah, blah".  You know what?  There are hundreds of messages competing for my eyeballs.  There are maybe six tracks I would like to monitor.  But if they want my eyeballs, the info has to be easy to find.  It is hard enough to screen out the crap I don't want from people looking for me without taking additional time to look for what should be looking for me but isn't. 

Let me turn this around - What about "Well, if you were a promoter.....".   The word promoter used to have a meaning that related to promotion.  The only promoters I can recall off the top of my head have been Mandelbach and Gina.  Now it is a glorified term for Track Operator.  The attitude seems to be that people will beat a path to their track (when they haven't before) just because they are now the operator.  

How hard would it be to also paste some of the big picture items from the FB page onto Speedzone at the same time it's put on FB?    Here, the format makes it very easy to focus on what you care about vs. what you do not.

Well said, but I would like to add, if you think as a promoter you are putting out the information to all involved on the Facebook, that couldn’t be further from reality. 

Now that you mention John, the place was well cared for during that stretch. It was magical, done well enough they had a pretty decent radio ad budget. Good times back then. I think Mr Owen will bring stability to the place. That’s what it needs for a couple years then it will explode.

I have offered LSSZ to any promoter/owner/track manager who chooses to utilize it. They know it's here,  They also know that the forum is highly moderated for bashing, foul language, etc. and is a safe place to post (unlike Facebook).  

We have many folks who come here hoping to avoid going to Facebook or having to go to each area track's website for information.  It is sad that they leave disappointed when the tracks don't have someone keep us up to date. 

I am unable to chase down each of the area tracks every day searching for their current information and act as their official LSSZ PR representative. Each track should have someone post here everyday if they are truly interested in getting the word out about their events.

Nick

5 hours ago, NickHolt said:

I have offered LSSZ to any promoter/owner/track manager who chooses to utilize it. They know it's here,  They also know that the forum is highly moderated for bashing, foul language, etc. and is a safe place to post (unlike Facebook).  

On 10/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, RodneyRodriguez said:

Well I am excited someone finally saw the post. Reach out to these promoters and tell them what you would like them to do.

For years, even back to the Ratt Traxx newspaper days, I tried to get people to send weekly results to me and that i would(for free) distribute to any/all of my contacts.....Back in my early days whowon.com and 4m.net were heavily viewed too. I had a few loyal people and a few more sporadic people send me stuff. That's it!

I never understood it back then either.

Then along comes FB, Insta, Tweeter, MRP, etc., and everyone can now find what they're looking for instantly. I get it, as much as other non-tech savvy old timers since my tech skills suck. I had to have someone set up my fb and racing page or I wouldn't have one. Now, you guessed it, pretty much similar results on contributors.

I used to search FB for about EVERY track in Texas and post their race weekend preview or results(for free) and post on my racing pages......That shit got old QUICK and would take most of the week for some to even post! Now if it rolls through my newsfeed, I'll 'share' it.

Wish I had the answer. It boggles my mind(what little I have left).

Promoters have their hands full, that's for sure.  But, like Jay, it boggles my mind to think that tracks would not take advantage free access to folks who already have a vested interest in short track racing. Yes, yes, yes, I know that FB took over the social media world and left the forum world in the dust, but LSSZ is still useful and has a ton of Texas short track racing history in the current and archived forums. 

The LSSZ forums still generate lots of hits, mostly from folks who don't log on and have no intention of posting anything.  They just want to:

1) look up something in the 20+ years of posts that are 100% searchable here on Lone Star SpeedZone, or

2) see what's happening in the racing world in Texas.

Then there is a core of LSSZ members who post here regularly and enjoy the discussions in the forums or use the free classifieds. 

I think that if the South Texas tracks were to appoint someone to post their stuff here, we all would benefit.

Nick