Opinion on the Indy500 ending?

JamesHigdon

8 minutes ago, rails said:

Makes you wonder if Penske and Foyt cars weren’t running 2nd and 3rd do they throw that last red flag?

Yea I didn’t think about that angle but it’s certainly a valid point. I’ve never seen any track go from red flag to green in less than 1 lap, it was just a really odd choice. 

If they knew they were gonna do that then why the extra lap under yellow? If the new policy is the race ends under green no matter what then just make it green - white - checkered.

Yes, they wasted 2-3 laps before they thru the previous red flags as well. I’m not sure how there rules read as far as how they are required to finish a race, but it was an odd ending for sure. There was no bigger example of the Thrill of Victory, and The Agony of Defeat in that finish.

DID THE OWNER  play a PART  .i would say 60,40.. leaning towards yes ..  but at the same time i would not be happy  going there and not see a finish at speed .. outside of weather creation .. i thought  there was a min speed rule on restarts ..  if so .. the leader should of had on that one chance to get it right .. . that non  start cost them an extra on racing lap ..  he should have been penalized . plus a tire crossing outside the pit line .. .....i could care who  won  really  but aj foyts driver put on a  great show for his team  .  started pulling for him ..  but i have no issue with the winner  .it was time .. . i  noticed one thing  ..it sure didnt hurt  to have nascar soft wall  at that track ..  thanks to nascar .. 

16 minutes ago, HiTech said:

.. . i  noticed one thing  ..it sure didnt hurt  to have nascar soft wall  at that track ..  thanks to nascar .. 

Just a quick aside: The Safer Barrier research was started by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, then initially funded by IRL. NASCAR got in on it a little later. It was first installed at IMS by IndyCar.

As for the race, I don't think it was a conspiracy for a Penske driver. I think they didn't want a repeat winner under the yellow flag

4 hours ago, TBone said:

Just a quick aside: The Safer Barrier research was started by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, then initially funded by IRL. NASCAR got in on it a little later. It was first installed at IMS by IndyCar.

As for the race, I don't think it was a conspiracy for a Penske driver. I think they didn't want a repeat winner under the yellow flag

Yea, the Penske thing seems like a stretch but why wouldn’t they want the biggest race of the year to end up under green?

The issue isn’t with them ending it under green or even a change to make that happen just the weird way they reached that end today. 

FIRST time i watched this race from start to finish . i really never gave much thought  those airplanes on the  ground were actualy cars .. .. .... u wont get much  side by side racing .  at that track  which  as u can see isnt all that safe and smart  with aero package   and track being  flat .. but  over all  i thought its was a fun race to watch  ..  i was pulling for that driver in aj foyts car .  car was fast   he did  not get a good restart   i thought he had the best car and could have  gone by both of the leaders .....but the winner was fun to watch ..i think he had fresher tires and maybe two lap shoot  out  instead of one  may have done the trick .. i noticed alot of  drivers were not happy  with a one and done  lap .. i look  at it  this way  .had  they finished   riding around for three more laps  . none of them would have had one more shot at the leader  or moving up a spot or two . .. just riding around  dang  just one more lap all i needed .. what could have been  ..wont know , next year  indy should put in a  system  like nascar just in case  of this deal happening  again   if they do not want to look  like they favored a car owner .. i  ddnt really think the owner would have pulled that stunt .but who ever  has  control of the race  could have .

Edited by HiTech