I saw Myrtle Beach there too. There were glimpses of a track in NC  that I think I went to as a kid. Can't remember the name though. It really sucks to see that most of these closes tracks are asphalt. Many of them used to be big time facilities that attracted large fields and crowds. I truly hope she makes it work. 

I read a good (but short) article in the latest Speedway Illustrated magazine that addressed what's going on at HMS & Mobile. She's got the right idea. Standardized rules, and not trying to hurt other tracks by having race dates that compete against each other. I grew up in Cincinnati in the 60s & 70s. Asphalt racing in Ohio, Ind, ILL, Mich, Wisconsin, and to some extent MN, the names of the drivers and the tracks were very well known. Most of those drivers could run 7 days a week, with very minimal changes to their cars. Some would run 2 different tracks in the same day. Several of these drivers wound up in Cup. Several of their offspring have also ended up in the top 3 NASCAR divisions. Some of the times it was some of NASCAR's early attempts at regional series', but there were several tracks that simply got together with other tracks near there's, to construct rules and racing days working together. I was lucky enough to see that usually twice a week. Tri-County Speedway (later being called Queen City Speedway) on Wed, Indianapolis Raceway Park on Fridays,  Tri-County again on Sat, and Columbus Motor Speedway on Sundays. The norm was 20 very good late models at every track, every night. It was absolutely great for a handful of years. Then 1 thing screwed it all up. The owner of Tri-County, Bill Redwine, decided he didn't want to run things anymore. So he leased out the track to someone else. All was going good for the first part of the new season under the new promoter, until 1 Sat night when only 12 late models showed. There had been a major crash on lap 1 at Indy Raceway Park. Because of that the new promoter person decided that he wanted his rules to be different, so that he wouldn't have to share "his cars" with the other 2 tracks. Tri-County stumbled around for a few more years, and a promoter or two before closing. And until Bristol jacked the banks way up, Try-County was the fastest 1/2 mile track in the country. For many years the track sat there, but had a softball complex around about half of the track. The infield pits and part of the parking lot was used by a truck driving school. They finally bladed it down in about 2010. I left Cincinnati in 1975 when I joined the Air Force that Aug. I went a few times when I was back in Cincy on leave. I went there in Oct 2007. There were no fences or gates to get through. I walked up to the grandstands at the end of the front straight. I've only cried 3 times over racing. The first was when Davey Allison died, the second was when I sold my modified, and that day standing there at Tri-County. For Davey it was because I really admired him and his tenacity and approach to racing. With my modified it was because it was a realization of a part of my life that I loved was ending, and never to be repeated. With Tri-County was because I saw what was possible, and how 1 person could destroy the very thing that hooked me into loving racing. If Dale JR was to do a Lost Speedway episode on Tri-County, I'm not sure I could watch. It would hurt that bad. That's the reason that I posted on the COTA thread that I would go to the Cup weekend. I'm sick of seeing the thing that I love, continue to die, 1 track at a time. 

• 4 weeks later...

I watched sa and texas world last night.  Good job as usual.  Also great to see nick and Rodney's cameos in them.  Both brought back great memories.  Sa still gives the thought there is a chance it can come back.  But texas world is gone.  I agree with what Dale Jr said last night it's hard to believe that texas only has one asphalt track and no super late models running. 

Watched TIS/TWS yesterday.

Raced there on the road course probably half dozen times.  Brought tears to my eyes when I watched that episode.

What a shame and waste of resources.

RIP TIS!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nick, I saw the Lost speedway episodes for the Texas tracks. I never got to go to Texas World Speedway, and wish I could have seen the track for a Cup race then. An Air Force pilot that I knew around 2014, raced the road course in an orange #15 1970 Mustang Boss 302. It was made to look like the Parneli Jones driven, Bud Moore prepped Trans Am champion car.

Back in the 80s, I drove from Del Rio to SAS many of weekends. I loved John Kelly. That was the first racing t-shirt I ever bought. I remember the competition was usually pretty fierce. I hated to see SAS close. It was really sad how all that went down, to shut it down. Unfortunately that wasn't the only track to close under such circumstances.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Love the ponytail!!

God Bless you my friend..

4 hours ago, ron.brown11 said:

Hey Nick, I saw the Lost speedway episodes for the Texas tracks. I never got to go to Texas World Speedway, and wish I could have seen the track for a Cup race then. An Air Force pilot that I knew around 2014, raced the road course in an orange #15 1970 Mustang Boss 302. It was made to look like the Parneli Jones driven, Bud Moore prepped Trans Am champion car.

Back in the 80s, I drove from Del Rio to SAS many of weekends. I loved John Kelly. That was the first racing t-shirt I ever bought. I remember the competition was usually pretty fierce. I hated to see SAS close. It was really sad how all that went down, to shut it down. Unfortunately that wasn't the only track to close under such circumstances.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Love the ponytail!!

God Bless you my friend..

i  think nick  is going for the kyle petty look .. think ill grow a white beard  and call my self colonel sanders ..  it could be said nick is in his midlife crisis . but he pasted that years ago .. ALL WITH LOVE NICK ... .. 

Edited by HiTech

So sad to see those places like that, especially SAS but great insights with Nick and Chris Davidson. Never knew the history between Pan Am and SAS, knew the Ware name from radio and his bad wreck at SAS and Bierschwele (probably butchered the spelling, sorry). Funny, we have that same picture of Eddie upside down in the parking lot.

Only made it to TWS once. Don't remember much about the race itself but the stuff away from that track was very memorable lol. Between the Kettle, the Titanic, Silk Stockings, and those darn drunks and carrying a cone from Bayside to College Station. It was an ARCA race Bill Venturini dominated, think he lapped up to 3rd.

I went to TWS in I think 92-93 after it reopened. A Japanese group bought it and made a $6m investment in it. Chump change today. One thing I remember is that they repaved it. The first race was an ARCA race that Eddie Bierswhale (botched spelling) won sponsored by Splitfire Sparkplugs.  I recall kesilowskis dad (bob) ran a good race until he broke in a Chrysler. HC Bailey in the 36 Heinz catsup car was there too. Finished well too. Top 5? 

The second race was a Winston West race won by Darrell Waltrip. Big  rainstorm after and took 3 hrs to exit parking lot, if not mistaken TIDA ran a late model race prior to both races on the road course consecutive years. Many good memories there, I still have that left at least LOL 😂 

6 hours ago, HiTech said:

i  think nick  is going for the kyle petty look .. think ill grow a white beard  and call my self colonel sanders 

I noticed it too but I got no comment . I think Nicks barbershop has been closed since March of 2020 due to Covid so I’m holding to that theory. I can’t believe Nick hasn’t chimed in to justify this observation

NICK  CANT READ ANYMORE .... my wife and a friend went to that winston west race  you are talking about  1992 . MYwife and i  met ned jarret and  parsons just before the start outside of the press box wonderful men both of them .. THE RACE  was recorded for a later showing ... WALTRIP  had two laps on the field with fuel mileage .. kenny broke a shifter and dale sr.s car was too tight all race ... MAN was it hell leaving that place with all the stuck cars .. over three  hours before we got on the3 hour road trip back home . got home midnight . was worth the trip and pain.. my wife was home sick all the way up and back because it was the first time leaving our son with anyone  he was just a few months old . ..now he is 29   dang how time flashes by .

Edited by HiTech

9 hours ago, King237 said:

I noticed it too but I got no comment . I think Nicks barbershop has been closed since March of 2020 due to Covid so I’m holding to that theory. I can’t believe Nick hasn’t chimed in to justify this observation

Don't worry, folks.  I plan to cut my hair when I turn 101 or in May, 2044, whichever comes first. 

3 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Don't worry, folks.  I plan to cut my hair when I turn 101 or in May, 2044, whichever comes first. 

2044  .. dont trip over it .. YOU know whats great nick  you still have hair  and some are jealous ... .  i can have a ponytail in about two months  .my 65 year old hair wont slow down its growing rate .. 

Edited by HiTech