South Texas 200 Enduro

Well the week as come. I hope you all are getting the cars ready. This should be a great race. There is a lot of money available for the taking. Bring all those Emods, Pure stocks, limited late models and bombers out. We need has many cars as we can to make a great show for our fans. I try to do different things for our fans and drivers, but it has to be supported by you. So please come out if you can. Lets make this one great show.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Ken Hobbs

Sorry Guys,

I changed to a new laptop and forgot my login. The South Texas Enduro is cancelled. We called on Tuesday night as many people as we could that run locally at STS. We could not get more than about 5 that said they were going to be ready. After asking on Facebook and talking with Brad we felt like we could get 8-10 more but that was not guaranteed. For a race that pays over $10,000 and lasts 200 laps 13-15 cars is not a show for fans who are paying to see a big race. I am disappointed this did not work. I had hoped for more interest. I hated to cancel but I think the fans would have been disappointed in the show.

Secondly: The Back to school bash was scheduled for this same day. After talking with them we elected to keep it on. I went out and rented some carnival rides and kids activities to make sure that every fan or kid shows up they have a good time. I have discounted the price to $5. We will run the Go-Karts. If you want to show up and give away supplies you are welcome to. We will also have Reverneds Daughter playing in the Turn 5 bar. Hotdaogs and Pizza will be available if your hungry. If you have kids please bring them out! Karen Jack and many others work hard for this event and we need to support them.

I look forward to next week and getting back to racing. It has been nice to have a few weeks off and to spend time with the family but it will be nice to race again.

Thank you all for understanding.

Ken Hobbs

RACES like this should be planed a year ahead of time and before season or just after . pure stock has been sitting at home .and how many weeks between the last race and the next ..during a race season its tough enough for many just to field a full season car .and with school starting back up makes it even harder if not impossible for some ..as one stated .glad I didn't get a car ready is one part of the problem and maybe that is what others thought as well they wont need my car to many cars would be there anyway . as it turned out not many were ready ..its a noble cause to time the race for back to school ..and cant take away the fact the track tried too give the fans and racers something else ......so thanks should be in order not only for the track but sponsors who put up the money and hope it is planed for another time that fits ..

Thank you Hi Tech,

The Enduro was on the schedule for nearly a year. However I overestimated the locals interest. I really thought for the money we would have at least half our pure stocks and bombers. However I was wrong. I tried and failed in this case.

I don't mind trying new things. I guess you can't always win.

In any case I pray and hope that the kids still show up for the Back to school supplies. I have invested some money in it to help make people enjoy them selves.

Live and Learn!!

ken we would have loved to race the enduro just could not afford to .we just barely got my sons car running and could not take the chance nore could afford to buy a wreck to play in .this year has been tough on the budget.. I hope it does not keep you and the sponsors from considering this again or any other great idea that comes along .we all know racing has it ups and downs and sometimes you fail this time around ..I still think an enduro would work out ..sorry for being wrong on the year ahead part ..

Corpus is not unlike the Valley, people just don't have the resources in time and money to prep a one time car generally speaking. If I was the Big Race Promotions I would put together a year long schedule at whatever tracks are interested and make a circuit. That would make it worth building an endure car for that circuit. When RGS started hosting monthly demo derbies they saw teams from around the country come to win the $1,000 first place. Many only did these derbies and traveled wherever the next one was. Purpose built cars, legal but prepped to the max to win. Things like big slow reving engines, 6 ply tires, best choice bodies like station wagons. These cars were used over and over. An endure circuit would justify owning a car specially built for endures. Just a thought.

Another thing I have seen over the years is how some tracks are always looking elsewhere to create the ultimate Saturday night show. This to me is like going fishing and casting out as far as you can hoping for that "big one" when the big one is actually beneath your boat. The pure Stocks are a good example. They proved they can draw cars and the fans come with them. The Eco Mods are a local class too and there's plenty of interest there. The Street Stocks rely to some degree on out of towners so their presence is unpredictable. The Sport Mods are everywhere and run everywhere so its a competition to keep them at home.The LLMs are not considered a local class and neither are the mini stocks. Bombers are a fledgling class. What would work I think is to use what you already have and create a night of racing that benefits all the locals first because Corpus and area is a huge population to draw from. Keep the big money at home. Most do not want to travel and few want to come south. Maybe rotate a bigger purse night among every class to help them grow. And divide all the classes where each class is racing every other night with an occasional night to race them all. A goofy schedule is too hard to follow for racers and fans. For Fall and Spring the track needs to be open every week. For the hot summer a mid season break would work just fine. Pick the hottest month and not race a month or something like that. I guarantee one thing, a once a month schedule will not boost a car count.

Finally, for Compacts..............It is looking like the car of choice is leaning toward being mini stocks rather that front runners. Most of the cars sitting around are that. Now any car can be a mini stock and can be competitive. It just seems there's not much interest in running a 4 cyl bomber. In 2005 both tracks had decent car counts and had both FWD and RWD cars winning races. So give us a purse, simple rules to make race cars and some track time and you might be surprised who comes back from the shadows. We kind of are there now but too much confusion. Time to see what those who actually race want. We can even go as far as having 2 divisions, stock and modified race together like the road course guys do. But its hard to sell the deal we have now. Just too much confusion and name calling.There is more interest growing. And we ARE a local class. Again, just my opinion. Not bashing, only offering my experience.

Also I forgot to add..... forget trying to make your schedule fit other tracks. Its a one sided deal. Just worry about your own neighborhood. I have seen so many promoters try to cater to other tracks and they never return the favor. CORPUS FIRST ! period.

I have to say I agree. Looking at it from a fans point of view this years schedule is weird. If two of the top three are not running(LM , Pure Stock and E-Mod) I don't go. But I do understand it from a business point of view. I agree about the scheduling deal too. It is a one way street.SOS doesn't come here in the same numbers we go there. CTS NEVER supported CCS. As for Enduro I would rather see a Night of Destruction instead.As for staying 100% local I ,again speaking as a fan, would love to see Sprint Cars ,Late Models or USMTS every now and then. I realize being so far South has a lot to do with it and the expense so I am good that I will have to travel to SOS or CBS for those events.Agree about the 4 cyl too.I wouldn't want to watch 4cyl bombers either. But it is time to settle on it and draw up mini stock rules and get on with it. This class is out of jump starts. Good post , Thumper.

Archived