LONGHORN SPEEDWAY

jcleaver17

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the new name will be spelled "Bad Boyz" (with a Z) Speedorama. And the plan is definately to run on Friday nights, at least for the first season.

I am also aware that they have hired a consultant to help with insurance and a few details like that.

And the rumor has it that the rules are to be written in the very near future.

Anybody heard anything else?

Nick Holt

As far as the rules I heard that they will be the same as thunder Hill. I mean why not. It would be kinda of pointless to change them a whole lot. I think they might try and combine the pure stock and hobby stocks and run a true bomber class and call them the pure stocks. I also heard that Street stocks would be the top class but may has an occasional TSRS kinda race every couple of weeks. As far as everythin else I've heard Is that the as long as they race on Friday nights Front gate would be $8.00. I also heard that the back gate would be Cheaper than THR( no release of how much ) and that they would be paying a higher purse than THR. I know that it does somehow sound to good to be true but If Miller does get a track sponsor he might just could do it.

Here's some good news to add...

Miller definitely has the money to come through on all the renovations he promised on last week's Motorsports Zone show..altho he's fervently seeking sponsors, he's committed to bringing Bad Boyz Speed-O-Rama up to snuff...

We'll talk to him again on the May 24th show...

Longhorn is located at the corner of Hwy 183 and FM 812 in southeast Austin, not far from the Austin-Bergstrom airport. It is a low-banked 1/4 mile asphalt track, and 1/4 is pushing it a little bit.

It was originally built in the late 50's, early 60's time frame, and through most of it's life was a Friday night venue. It has had several owners and managers through it's life. Fun little place to race, but showing it's age badly, and Friday night is a tough draw.

It looks like they are really cleaning it up really well.

I'm assuming they are leaving the renovation of the

grandstands as the last project cause I don't think they

have done anything with them. I don't think Miller is

worried, he had told me he had a 18 to 20 man crew

that could knock 'em all out in about 4 days.

Rodney

GO SPURS GO !!!

I heard the same thing about the grandstand. With his crew it should take about 5 days. Does he plan on redoing the pit stands? All Longhorn needed was a little banking to make it a little easier to pass on the outside. I don't think that THR is going down with out a fight but look at it this way. When LH was in operation everyone said that since management was so bad that if another venue was built that LH would go under. THR was built and it happend. Now the same thing is being said for THR except that it only took 6 years for THR to get the competition to put it out of business it took LH 40.

There's no real reason why the two tracks can't cooperate instead of compete.

And from what he's said so far, Mr. Miller is wanting to run on Friday nites and run with THR rules! Teams could run both tracks if they wanted to. Sounds like he's more than willing to cooperate with Brian at this point.

In the old days we used to run Paramount Austin (Austin Speed-O-Rama, Longhorn) on Fridays and Pan American on Saturdays. It worked very well for a number of years.

Nick Holt

If the 2 venues would make a true effort to work

together I think it could work well. The last time

around it seems like that was happening but then

shortly thereafter it appeared that it all broke down

and the 2 tracks started taking shots at each other.

Working together they may could put together some

sweet sponsorship package to present, maybe some

type of overall points incentive for the Street Stocks or

something. I don't know, just some thoughts...

Just to add to the above I wonder how this will affect SAS in the Sportsman class and some of the other classes. I told a couple of drivers who shall remain nameless that Longhorn was opening back up they told me that they might go there instead of SAS. Just wonderin...

Marc,

I really don't thing Bad Boyz Speed-O-Rama will have an effect on SAS. SAS runs on Saturday and BB will be running on Fridays. Besides that, they intend on making their rules basically the same as THR.

Not only that, but BB has a LOT of work to do before they open. And while it appears Mr. Miller has the money and desire to pull this off, there have been other attempts to open that track that have failed. I'm not implying that Mr. Miller will fail. In fact, I think he will open sometime this season. But I never consider any track actually open until I see the ticket taker giving our tickets in exchange for some cash!

Nick Holt

I hope that the two tracks can work together. I would just like to see a "real" bomber class. At longhorn a bomber class would be fun. I think that the pure stocks and hobby stocks aTHR are just to close. With the economy as bad as it is right now the need a bobmber class at THR and BBSoR.

• 1 month later...

Somebody needs a real bomber class. I want race as cheap as possible. Pure Stock at THR requires fuel cells, racing seat, roll cage, and Hoosiers. The old bomber class and Longhorn was cheap! None of the above was required.

Saftey is a factor, but the true bomber class is supposed to be slow enough that standard saftey equipment in the car is good enough. Why in a bomber do you need 4 door bars with vertical slats and a piece of steel plate over the bars? This class should not be traveling that fast. I am building a road racing mustang that will reach its top speed (150 or so) during race events and the sanctioning body for it (NASA), does not require the steel plate behind the door bars.

I agree completely about needing a cheaper, true bomber class. A fan in the stands can barely tell the difference between pure and hobby stocks at THR with most of the cars. that's probably why there's 12-15 cars running hobby and only 4-5 running pure stock each week! And making the bombers run Hoosier 790s is a ridiculous waste of money, which is in short supply for most everyone these days!!

Archived