LONGHORN SPEEDWAY

jcleaver17

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh Cmon Jr just a night in the E.R----- these cars dont go fast enough to actually need a fuel cell..much-less a racing seat...as shorttrack29 said....it shoudl be something cheaper. as many people that are looking to get into racing..im sure that if BadBoyz or even THR had an original bombers class, that the car count would rise........heres an idea....cut the pure-stock class..fo rboth tracks..make the bombers class..and run bombers, hobby stocks, street stock, and late models....noww tell me...is that a bad idea???

-Jonathan Cleaver

Considering the CC bombers have 20+ regulars maybe the tracks should take a look at their rules. SA has tried but I think the tire rule is the only downside. The roadrunners will grow though and hopefully there will be a few more by the end of the year. Again, if safety is not your #1 concern you don't belong on the track.

Jason, I agree with you on the safty issue. but i do not see the point in spend the money for a fuel tank...when there is already one in the car that can be safely re-located. i do not see the point in buying a racing seat when the one that comes in the car is fine..a racing seat will serve NO purpose in a car that goes about 40-60 around the track...as a couple people have said...yesfront/rear hoops are a good i dea.. and if these track owners are looking to make a class a little cheaper...than they should make front and rear hoops mandatory..becasue in the long run. it is cheaper....

-Jonathan Cleaver

Safety is of my concern as well. I did not say that I don't want to be safe. I agree with JCleaver. I was stating what the old rules were. I believe there should be a cage but 4 door bars that must extend into the door plus door bars on the passenger side seem to be a little extreme for 60(if that) mph car. It probably helps door life longevity. A bucket seat out of a sports car supported by the roll cage with a 5 point harness would be safe for this class. To require an aluminum racing seat seams to be overkill for this class. You can't say I don't believe in safety, because I believe that the safety precautions necessary increase with speed. On the other hand I guess pure stock should look into adding more safety devices because you can never have enough: on board halon fire extinguishing system, Hans device, roof flaps, steel cables attached to each spindle, and a 12 pt cage.

i agree with jason and gw

that is the way the rules were untill they came to there sences

and in racing u always expect the unexpected just when u thought u dont need a fuel cell ..........

hey jason i think the only diff in purestock and road runner is the wheel bace (thr 112) (rr 108) and the road runners can run an aftermarket intake i have not seen the cc bombers rules

I agree with JR. At no time should there be any racecar with out a fuel cell or racing seat in them. These cars do go fast enough to get hurt. As I recall the first year of cruisers which is basically a pure stock at thr there was someone injured pretty badly and i belive they had just a regular street seat in it. -Colt

Ask Bruce Mabrito if he would EVER race a car without a racing seat again. He did one night at San Antonio Speedway in one of the Thunder Cars (a true entry level class) and got banged up pretty bad in an accident that looked like a minor brush with the wall.

Nick Holt

Same thing happened to my cousin on a dirt track in Georgia. It was a entry level bomber /street stock class. He had a 4 point cage but didn't have a racing seat that went all the past the top of his head. It stopped just below his shoulders. When he was hit from behind the car went forword and he and his back went backwords. He now has to get shots in his back because he tried to race the cheap way with a homemade seat.

As for my two cents on a fuel cell, it is not so much of the safety that a stock fuel cell can handle an impact but If I were struck from the rear I would feel safer because I know that a fuel cell should not bust open on impact.

I personally would not get in a car that doesnt have a fuel cell, good roll cage and racing seat. When yall were saying that you dont understand the steel plate between the door and the roll cage. I think it would be stupid not to have one especially in bombers yeah you might only be goin between 40-60 mph on the track but the kind of cars yall run un that class are like sherman tanks, there all steel. So if you want to put your self in a racecar with no protection and get hit in the door with nothing between you and and the heavy car comin at ya full speed you can go for it I'll stick with something that has more protection. Not to mention some drivers in that class being entry level would not have the good driving skills that some of the guys who race it now do and there reflexes might not be as quick and that could really hurt if there was not adaquite protection there to help ya. To me if any class should have the most strict safety procedures it should be your bomber class where every starts out. Cause if you tell a guy to just run a helmet and firesuit dont need to have a fuel cell or roll cage or plate between the door and he has one real bad accident you might not get him back to the track because he would be to hurt if not dead. Well thats my .02

you see it in IMCA for the most part. The track or sanctioning

body sets a $ figure, for example 1500.00 on the engine.

If a guy wins a race and some other racer wants to "claim"

his engine, he puts up 1500.00 and the other guys sells the

motor or loses his win, $, points etc ... sometimes i've heard

it has to be a top 5 finisher as a claimer.

I remember when my Dad started racing in the early 80's

@ SAS, the then Street Stock class had an 850.00 claim for

the entire car, race ready.

Matter of fact, one guy (Terry Brooks) had his car claimed

and in the final stages of the feature, he blew to motor up

(Brooks had no knowledge he had been claimed) and the

claimer ended up with a roller with a blown engine.

Hadn't see that rule on asphalt in long time, some of the

dirt trackers may clarify that it works that way.

Now I do not want to live forever, but some people on here have a death wish... or maybe they dont care if they lose the use of some body parts... If you guys do not see the danger of running without racing seats or fuel cell, then I have a challenge for you, strap yourself in a car built your way and sit sideways on the front straight of THR let me get up to 40 mph in my 3,400 pound bomber, if you still feel the same way after this then maybe I will agree the 300$ you saved was worth it... and just try and tell me wrecks like this do not happen. I have been racing a long time, and I will tell you 40 mph still hurts when you hit the wall at the right angle. I have to agree if safty is not your concern then the track is the wrong place to be...stick to the playstation...I think it is safe with a stock seat.. Oh yea the claim rule is usually around 500$ with the top 5 cars eligble to be claimed, only cars on the lead lap can claim

Okay I agree with the safety features. I did not realize that kirkey made an aluminum racing seat so affordable. The seats I had looked at in the past were expensive (500-800 Butler Built). Door bars would help in "T-Bone" situation down the back stretch. I am sold on the rules. I still think that the pure stock should have roof flaps... B).

Hoosiers are only 80 bucks a pop so that is not too bad either.

Let the roll cage building begin!!!

Guys-

The impact speed when Dale Earnhardt hit the wall at Daytona was less than 48 mph...

Honda ran an ad for motorcycle helmets 20 years ago that stated, "If you have a $20 head, by a $20 helmet. Fuel cells, door bars and, as has been noted, good racing seats just aren't all that expensive.

Guys-

The impact speed when Dale Earnhardt hit the wall at Daytona was less than 48 mph...

I don't mean to be argumentative, but the 3 car was going over 180 when the 40 tapped him and sent him straight up the track into the wall. Impact speed was about 100mph higher than stated! Just wanted the safety thing to be put in perspective a little.

Yes, TQJ3 has his mph data a little skewed. Getting facts wrong on that subject could start a whole new thread and/or worse. Some Dale Earnhardt fans maybe quite sensitive about a statement like that. Earnhardt DID NOT die in a crash with an impact speed of less than 48 mph.

In the last 4 years I've seen one guy lose his life in a bomber and another one paralyzed from the neck down in 2 different accidents at the same track in the North Texas area.They had gone the cheap side(minimun safety) because the track let them-one driver slammed the wall(he died and his wife and kids got to see it happen) and the other went upside down(roof caved in and also caved him in)-I personally got to meet the guy that rolled over and was paralyzed when his friends brought him to the track a year later in a wheelchair- when our series was racing at the track he had his accident- so he could thank each of our drivers for donating our purse $$$ the nite he crashed to him and his family cause he didnt have health insurance and a wife and 2 little kids to feed-to some drivers safety is the last thing on their to do list-and safety equipment is a good thing to put on your Christmas list when family members ask you what you want this coming Christmas-I am not saying that having the best stuff will save your life but at least the odds are in your favor if you use whats available -Just My 2 cents-

Archived