What was the funniest/strangest/most unexpected place you ever saw a r

elliottfan

Guys and gals -

What was the funniest or most unusual place you ever saw a race car? In a field? In a barn? Tell your stories - I promise I have a few later

HANGING UPSIDE DOWN IN A RESTUARANT IN PENNSYLVANIA. THERE IS A CHAIN OF RESTUARANTS CALLED SOMETHING LIKE "QUAKER CAFE" BUT THEY ARE DESIGNED LIKE GARAGES AND QUAKER STATE MOTOR OIL DECOR, LIFTS WITH CARS ON THEM, UPSIDE DOWN RACE CARS ON CEILING, ETC.

dons car hung up on top of the turn two wall at cc .they had to leave it there through the race night ..one of my first thought was .that miller light can glued to his roof made me think . left hung out to dry ..

I have to agree with HiTech. I remember that night. I was racing in another class and it was strange to see a car hanging on the wall when we came by.

forgot this one larry smiths red and white car left up on top of turn three and four wall just inline with the flag ..sorta blended in ...

One year San Antonio had steady rain for three solid weeks .SAS dug a pretty deep hole inside of turn 2 to drain the water in so they could race.Sure enough a car spun off turn 2 and into the water.It was deep enough to submurge the car.Can't remember the name but the number was 13.I think it was the same night a car went over the wall in turn 2. After a few minutes the driver(Christianson I think) appeared behind the wall.When he jumped over the fence he was near waist high in mud.After the races due to the mud they had to pull the car back over the fence with two wreckers.Took 30 minutes or so to break the car out of the mud.Once they set the car back on the track frogs were hopping out of it!

forgot this one larry smiths red and white car left up on top of turn three and four wall just inline with the flag ..sorta blended in ...

I remember that one too. I was down by the scales and heard the most awful sound in the world. The engine was reved as high as it could go and the tires were squealing trying to stop. Then I heard a loud boom and thought it was the Dukes of Hazard's coming down. It was Larry. Thank God he was not hurt. That one could have been deadly.

Years ago at CCS Johnny White I think it was went over the wall in turn 1.Back then the pits were on that side and there was a trailor that a mini stock was on.Whites car landed square on the trailor like it was driven on.

we were parked right where he landed with the 00 mini.. we moved before that race from that spot cuz it was still a little muddy from that weeks rain .i still loose my breath ever time i remember that race. he bounced off of i cant remembers who trailor and nicked ours on the way to the landing sight .took a pole and a tree with him i think it was sam wilcox and a couple of others who ducked just in time to keep their heads ..a blink of an eye at the time and they would have died ..it was said johnny would not come out of that car till someone told him he did not kill anyone ..that buick was brought out on the track in two or three pieces ...when he went over the wall the stands were full .not a wisper of wind was heard just the exhale of a 1000 or more folks .

Guys and gals -

What was the funniest or most unusual place you ever saw a race car? In a field? In a barn? Tell your stories - I promise I have a few later

HANGING UPSIDE DOWN IN A RESTUARANT IN PENNSYLVANIA. THERE IS A CHAIN OF RESTUARANTS CALLED SOMETHING LIKE "QUAKER CAFE" BUT THEY ARE DESIGNED LIKE GARAGES AND QUAKER STATE MOTOR OIL DECOR, LIFTS WITH CARS ON THEM, UPSIDE DOWN RACE CARS ON CEILING, ETC.

The original location of the chain you are referring to is the Quaker Steak and Lube located in Sharon, PA. It was built in an old gas station and one car is on the original grease rack inside. The car hanging on the wall was an old MG sans motor and tranny. It specializes in Wings now but when first opened was a great bar and served really great sandwiches. The chain now has 34 locations around the nation and has in the past sanctioned a NASCAR Truck event I believe at Charlotte.

I have two to add to the list.

In the early 50s I watched a modified race in an old minor league baseball field and they raced around a circle cut into the old infield. Boy was that a dust bowl. It did not last long as only 5 cars showed. IT was in Greenville, MS which now has a classy half mile dirt track.

The second rarity was at the Lawton Speedway around 1972 or 73 and off there were no fences between turn one and two. A super modified went off the track in turn two and went right into a stock tank which totally submerged the car and one of the rescue folks had to dive in to help the driver out. Lawton still runs to this day but the stock tank has been filled in.

Dano,

That reminds me of the time years ago (early 70s?) down on the old Monterrey, Mexico, airport road course when Jesse Marroquin's brakes failed (or throttle hung) at the end of the long front straight and off he went into the pond that was just past the end of the original runway. That splash must have been 100 feet tall or more! After that, that pond was called "Lake Marroquin!"

Nick

May not be too far fetched but unexpected I saw a car in Canadian, TX, on a visit to my ex's parents. Not sure about tracks in OK, but Amarillo is about 2-2 1/2 hours away. Also saw several in Upstate NY but later drove by a nice track right off the freeway. Can't remember the track or area of NY but those New England mods are wicked with the center seat configuration.

During the TWS races Billy Christopher took a souvenir program to my Dad to have him autograph a picture of his black #15 camaro spinning in turn one of the road course. Funny thing about it is that there was a picture of Billy Christopher's car spinning in the exact same place in the next year's program. So my old man went to get Billy's autograph.

During the TWS races Billy Christopher took a souvenir program to my Dad to have him autograph a picture of his black #15 camaro spinning in turn one of the road course. Funny thing about it is that there was a picture of Billy Christopher's car spinning in the exact same place in the next year's program. So my old man went to get Billy's autograph.

A TON OF DRIVERS SPUN THERE ...THOSE CARS DID NOT LAND RIGHT YOU MOWED THE GRASS ..WAS THERE WHEN BILLY HAD HIS BAD WRECK RIGHT IN THAT TURN WHICH RETIRED HIM FROM RACING .USE TO PARK MY CAR NEAR HIS AND WAYNE AND PEE WEE NORRELL HOUSE ..THEY BOTH HELPED ME OUT WITH MY DIRT CAR IN THE EARLY 80.S

How about the two places we got to see Eddie Bierschwale's car hitting things at HiWay 16 that shouldn't have been parked where they were?

The second time was the long spin down the front stretch across the end of pit road and smack dab in the side of a wrecker sitting in the infield. Made a mess of both.

The first time though was the "funnier" one, except for those involved... On the road down from Turn 4 near the ticket booth sat a small car parked where they shouldn't have been. After a couple of announcements about being parked in the wrong spot and it needing to be moved...what should happen but a little accident in turn 4, and Eddie's #3 went up over the wall, tumbled down the embankment, and finished up upside down right in the top of that car. Then, I think it was Len Hayden, started announcing that the owner of said vehicle didn't have to worry about moving it right away.

Billy

In the bed of a pickup truck. At a supermod race in Southeast TX. a cowboy from up in the ARKLATEX area, who shall remain nameless, came off the track after being in an altercation and at about 50 mph tried to load his little skeeter up on his little single axle haul trailer. When he hit the end of the angled stops at that speed it launched him right over into the bed of his truck. Rumor had it that he didn't waste all of his alky in his racer's fuel tank. He actually drove in cowboy boots.

FryarFan I have a picture of that lying around somewhere.I think it was an MG and it still had the dealer tag on it.I wasn't there the week Greg Davidson sailed out into the parking lot and bounced off a few cars.I was there when Aremendia(sp) flew over turn two one night.I mean he had some distance on that flight.I remember a bunch of large chunks of concrete back there too.The track called for the helicopter which was cool watching it land.It had to be 30 minutes or more before the announcement came that Joe was alert and having a little back pain.The delay was he didn't want to get in the helicopter! Eventually I think they got him in there!

• 1 month later...

OK now I am going to post all of my weird unusual race car sightings:

First one involves a famous number 22 Camaro. One weekend I was with my family and another family on Lake McQueeney -near Seguin? we were out driving around looking at all the lake houses. All of a sudden I see on with a carport, in that carport is the famouse Vita Fresh #22 Camaro of Jimmy Finger! This was back when Finger was just about the hottest hot shoe around.

Second one is from Wichita Falls. OK, I was visiting my Grandma at her house in Wichita Falls in 76 or so. Each house there had the stand alone garage way in the back yard. So I was nosing around in my Grandma's garage and I looked out the window, and I see the neighbor's garage door was up. So, I walked over by the fence and looked in. Lo and behold there is an orange and white #99 (I believe, this was a long time ago) Camaro. It was larry Ashlock's old Camaro. If you don't remember, Ashlock was the king of Wichita Falls and Altus for two solid years in 76-77. Think he later may have been a guest of our government, for some offence, can't remember what. Do not know why his car was there in that garage. Also - the race car wasn't there the next time I visited.

Third one is a Chet Phillips car. When Austin was opened back up in 76 after being closed for a while after Ricci Ware closed down, Chet was a frequent visitor. He first raced there In a white #16 1969 Chevelle before he raced the Paul Jett mustard colored Camaro. I remember that car real well because it was so loud and it revved so high. I almost think it was geared for a shorter track than Speed-o-Rama. Well I always thought that car looked familiar to me in the back of my mind. So one day I was browsing through some old Steve Smith Autobooks volumes. If you remember, he publsihed books on suspension, handling and car setup in the early 70's. Lo and behold, there in the Steve Smith book is a picture of that #16 Chevelle in the book. So the Phillips got that car from the west coast, where Steve took all his pictures. Most of his photos were of Jimmy Insolo (theres some greatness right there).

OK I also have told the story on here of the older couple I met in Austin and I was trying to buy a Falcon Super Stock and trailer from them. They told me this Falcon was the twin to Buddy Woodall's #43 Falcon. They told me the story of how they had built a new Mustang Mach I for the 1973 season and were all ready to go with their new car except it got stolen one night. They were so discouraged they were getting out of racing completely. So, years later, one day in 1981, I happen to be driving with my wife through west texas, we passed thru Brownwood, and I see that Mustang Mach I late model in a junkyard. Amazing coincidence!

I used to work at Tracor in Austin and sometimes when 183 was bottled up I would take a shortcut thru east Austin, driving parallel to 183 and getting over to Manor Road. I started to notice in a field off to the east there before Manor Road was an old Camaro late model, Green and Black #43. Think it was Charles Collins car? After months of driving by there I began to notice another old racecar there in the field, and old nova in dark primer. Finally figured out that was Joe Priests' old 65 Nova. Only saw him drive this car one time at Speed-o-Rama in 77 or 78, when he made a couple of real slow laps. never saw him race it again. I went by there agin like 10 years later, and both cars were gone.

Archived