Final Race at San Antonio Speedway - OctoberFAST on Oct. 18 & 19

debwill

Call the news stations

Therein lies part of the problem.....The local media(Mike Haag excluded) could give a rats-ass about local racing....When they held a media day earlier this year, myself, Dawn Murphy and one other media member showed up....Same thing happened at I-37 on their media day....Dawn was the only one there...

I'll weigh in on some other parts once I've had a chance to cool off.....Nick probably has his hands full already...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the media is being discussed, I did want to share the note below that I received from Joe Conger with KENS-TV. He's the media person that showed up for media day, along with Reb and Dawn.

I’m so sorry to hear about the closure!

I meant to send you a response, we’d like to cover this.

Dang it! I wanted the speedway to work!!!

Joe Conger

KENS-TV Investigative Reporter

I am just wondering what it would take for this Octoberfast to keep the track open....

Just my opinion, speaking as a racer. Drop the two day show.

This. The fan attendance at the last show was decent, and the car count, while not great, was what could be expected for a track program that is still highly speculative as to whether it will ever make a go of things. If the promoters were basing their expenditures and projections on more than what they got, then they were/are being completely unrealistic. I know the track overhead is sky high because so much is rented, but the fan and car turnout were equal to or better than any Texas track I'm aware of, with the possible exception of HMP.

If things were to continue, the car counts might go up as more owners and potential owners figure the program might continue. On the other hand, the fan counts probably would either hold steady or decline, under the same philosophy that the program will continue, so there will always be further opportunities. That might or might not improve the total revenue, but I wouldn't count on it. If they can't make it with the turnout they had last show, then it probably is time to throw in the towel and say that the business model of the past year is unworkable.

What if we could get a celebrity driver to come? I know they spent money on advertising, but I never saw anything on tv or radio, just a few posters, there are a 1000 ways we could come up with to keep it open, but we all know it takes deep pockets to keep it floating for more then a few races till all the cars are drug out of the weeds and new ones built.

MY FIRST INTRODUCTION TO SAS WAS IN 1985. I WAS STATIONED AT LACKLAND AFB FOR A YEAR. THE AIRFORCE RAN A BUS OUT THERE EVERY SATURDAY. IF YOU WERE IN BASIC TRAINING AT LACKLAND YOU A HAVE A FREE DAY (SAT) ON YOUR LAST WEEK OF BASIC AND A OPTION WAS TO BE BACK IN THE DORM AT 9PM UNLESS..... YOU CHOSE TO GO ON THE BUS TO THE RACES, GUESS WHAT MOST OF THE TIME IT WAS STANDING ROOM ONLY ON THE BUS 30-40 AIRMAN WITH THERE FIRST PAYCHECK OUT ON THE TOWN. NOT BIG SPENDERS BUT 30-50 X $15-$20 , NOTHING TO SNEER AT. MAYBE SOME OF YOU CAN REMEMBER SEEING THEM IN THE STANDS EVERY SAT.

JUST ANOTHER AREA, THAT DOESN'T COST ANYTHING JUST PRE PLANNING.

Since the media is being discussed, I did want to share the note below that I received from Joe Conger with KENS-TV. He's the media person that showed up for media day, along with Reb and Dawn.

I’m so sorry to hear about the closure!

I meant to send you a response, we’d like to cover this.

Dang it! I wanted the speedway to work!!!

Joe Conger

KENS-TV Investigative Reporter

I guess we could start an email writing campaign to the news stations in San Antonio asking them to do a story on the track relating to is reopening and closing? 5,000 people where in the stands last October, if half of those people sent emails to the news stations why WOULDN'T they do a story?

Aside from that,

If 5k people show pay their $20 to watch the races in October and as many cars show up as people can wring out whose to say whats possible?

Houston, Corpus and CTS will all be done with points...maybe some of those guys can be talked into showing up? What about dirt cars running as Grand Stocks, Chargers and Street Stocks?

Our shop is small but if anyone needs to use a lift and doesn't have access, needs help or tools to setup a rear-end (I have all the tools needed for 12 bolts, 10 bolts and Chrysler rears), needs exhaust work, needs a carb. built, needs an engine run in stand, good alignment equipment or something of the like that will help them run at SAS in October let me know through PM.

I've also put the word out to another 6 or 7 groups of people that if they want to see SAS October is their last guaranteed chance, everyone that shows is another step towards a packed grand stand.

Here is my 2 cents worth first off thanks to everybody that was involved in getting the track back up and running.People and I mean racers and fans just don't have the extra or any money, everybody is being Taxed to death property taxes, school taxes, gas prices insurance and every thing else the government local, county and federal can figure out how to get out of the public.It's just not racing in trouble it is the whole entertainment industry that is in trouble by the time people pay just to live there is very little or none to go play on and I really don't see any good signs for the future

...Our shop is small but if anyone needs to use a lift and doesn't have access, needs help or tools to setup a rear-end (I have all the tools needed for 12 bolts, 10 bolts and Chrysler rears), needs exhaust work, needs a carb. built, needs an engine run in stand, good alignment equipment or something of the like that will help them run at SAS in October let me know through PM...

I DONT NEED A LIFT BUT I COULD USE SOME FUEL MONEY FOR THE RACE WEEKEND!!:))) TALK TO DAD!

...Our shop is small but if anyone needs to use a lift and doesn't have access, needs help or tools to setup a rear-end (I have all the tools needed for 12 bolts, 10 bolts and Chrysler rears), needs exhaust work, needs a carb. built, needs an engine run in stand, good alignment equipment or something of the like that will help them run at SAS in October let me know through PM...

I DONT NEED A LIFT BUT I COULD USE SOME FUEL MONEY FOR THE RACE WEEKEND!!:))) TALK TO DAD!

You notice I volunteered everything BUT money!

I love Nascar like the next guy but I have noticed that Nascars Popularity the last 15 years and Fantasy nascar have hurt many local tracks causing many to close over the country. I guess people had ruther play Fairytale Fantasy nascar then put a real car together at the local track. I haven't raced myself since 1995 due to finances, when I lived in Texas but soon I will be putting a Super Latemodel on the new 1/2 mile high banked paved track in Bakersfield Cal. at age 48. I don't know yet what number I will run but the Color will be J.D. Hughes Purple !!! I'm tired of Nascar and Fantasy Nascar I'm going to support a grass roots track again !!!

And the " RULES " are killing car numbers !!! Are you kidding me , the rules for all the tracks I've looked at recently look more like NASCAR CUP rule books instead of your old local track rules. I'm glad they added some of the rules I saw , I think the new wave across America with Spec. crate motors will save the racer a lot of money and give the little guy a better chance , BUT come on , All the Late model & Super Late model classes require the ABC body and they check it with Templates and a VERY LARGE ABC body Rule Book..................What are they thinking , these are just Local tracks , People don't want to have to spend all there free time after work keeping there bodies within a certain Spec. Just specify a body and let them Freakin put the body on the car and be done with it !!! If someone gets crazy with their body then you just tell them to change it , NOT get out a thick rulebook & tape measure. If this was a racing org like TIDA I can see it but come on TRACK OWNERS. Trim away all the Junk in the Rule Book and the CAR Count and FAN Count will COME !!! OK my Rant is over ! LOL

Thanks for posting the flyer, Nick. I meant to post it on LSS yesterday, but I never got to it. It was a busy day, and it will get busier!

We're asking everyone to share this flyer with all of your family, friends, in your workplace, etc. We need to make sure this final race is as big (or bigger) than last year's OctoberFAST!

Archived