Final Race at San Antonio Speedway - OctoberFAST on Oct. 18 & 19

debwill

BEEN PUSHING FOLKS TO GO .GOING TO HURT THE BACK POCKET SOME TO MAKE THE RACE .WONT BE THE FIRST TIME LOL..ITS RACING AND WORTH IT ..I SAY TO THOSE WHO HAVE WANTED TO GO AS FANS OR DRIVERS DO WHAT YOU CAN TO MAKE IT THIS TIME .YOU MAY NEVER EVER GET THE CHANCE TO DO SO AGAIN . YEARS AGO EVERY TIME WE RAN TPS I TRIED TO TAKE THE TIME TO RUN A FEW LAPS THERE . AND SOME REASON OR ANOTHER I MISSED THE CHANCE OR DID NOT TAKE IT WHEN I COULD HAVE .I THOUGHT WELL NEXT YEAR ..WELL THAT NEXT YEAR DID NOT COME FOR MANY YEARS .....AND THANKS TO SOME FINE FOLKS AND A LOT OF LUCK MUD BLOOD BEER AND MONEY AND MAYBE SOME TEARS AND LONG HOURS .I GOT MY CHANCE AND TOOK IT. IT COST ME OVER A over $1000 I HAD TO WORK VERY LONG HOURS TO EARN FOR A 20 LAP RACE ..WORTH IT .. ...A 14 YEAR OLD YOUNG MAN HAD A DREAM OF SOMEDAY RACING THERE ONLY TO SEE THAT DREAM FADE AFTER CLOSING ...AND AT 21 YEARS OLD HIS DREAM CAME TRUE .AND WON THREE OUT OF HIS FOUR RACES HE RAN THIS YEAR .. THE WINS WERE NOT EXPECTED .JUST TO RACE WOULD HAVE FULL FILLED HIS DREAM .HE WILL BE THERE AND IF HE DOES NOT WIN A RACE SO WHAT ITS STILL A WIN ...SO BEG BORROW STEAL .HOLD A SIGN UP ON THE CORNER TO EARN THE MONEY JUST DO WHAT EVER YOU CAN TO MAKE IT .IF YOU CANT MAKE IT IT IS WHAT IT IS .IF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT AND COULD MAKE IT STOP THINKING AND SHOW UP . WE ALL KNOW ALL THESE YEARS OF CLOSER HOW MOST WANTED THIS TRACK TO REOPEN ..WELL ARE WE GOING TO GO BACK TO THAT WANT ..IT MAY OR MOST LIKELY TO STILL CLOSE .GUARANTY IT WILL STAY CLOSED IF THERE IS A NO SHOW BOTH CARS AND FANS .BTW IF YOU HAVE OR HAD A SMALL ISSUE WITH STAFF ON RULES PARKING OR WHAT NOT .FORGET AND SHOW .GOTTA GET ME SOME MORE BBQ ..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I make it through next weekend at HMP I'm planning on making the trip to SAS. I've never been there or raced on a 1/2 mile.

You will love it , I'm going back racing Pro Late models and I'm going to drive 6 & 1/2 hrs one way every two weeks to the high bank asphalt 1/2 mile Kern County Raceway in Bakersfield Ca instead of a 30min drive to the smaller track , the Bullring here in Las Vegas. Irwindale another 1/2 mile track is like only an hour from Kern County Raceway. I like the rules & Layout of Kern County though and it has a little higher Banking so I will race there. I don't know if you've picked a final gear ratio for SAS but I ran a 5.45 Final gear ratio at Sooner International raceway a higher banked track than SAS.

You will love it , I'm going back racing Pro Late models and I'm going to drive 6 & 1/2 hrs one way every two weeks to the high bank asphalt 1/2 mile Kern County Raceway in Bakersfield Ca instead of a 30min drive to the smaller track , the Bullring here in Las Vegas. Irwindale another 1/2 mile track is like only an hour from Kern County Raceway. I like the rules & Layout of Kern County though and it has a little higher Banking so I will race there. I don't know if you've picked a final gear ratio for SAS but I ran a 5.45 Final gear ratio at Sooner International raceway a higher banked track than SAS.

Thanks for the Info ... My Crew Chief has ran there many many times back in the day... That's another reason were gonna go... I've got a 541 final drive that I'm planning on using... Doesn't look to good for Car Racing this weekend @ HRP ..maybe boats would be better but were still holding out a little hope :(

Thanks for the Info ... My Crew Chief has ran there many many times back in the day... That's another reason were gonna go... I've got a 541 final drive that I'm planning on using... Doesn't look to good for Car Racing this weekend @ HRP ..maybe boats would be better but were still holding out a little hope :(

Good luck , hope the weather gets better.

Hi Deb, so sorry to hear about the old girl shutting down, it has always been my favorite track once we figured it out anyway. I just moved to San Antonio and was looking to maybe revive an old "Colt 45" car or drive with someone else, but guess we won't be doing that at San Antonio. I think with the costs to bring the track up to code, it's going to be almost impossible to make it pay it's way. I will be there at the last race and hope to see some of my old friends. Bob Bolin

Look for me in the pits, Bob, and say "hello!"

Will do Deb, Ron Chambers is bringing his car down from Austin and asked if I would help him and his son.

I grew up around SAS and I know the track well. I moved to New England a few years ago for awhile and frequented the tracks up there. They did something I had never seen before and it should be tried at SAS to keep over head low. They did schedules like a NASCAR show and day raced.

Schedule as follows:

Gates open at 7am.

Practice from 9-11:30am

Driver's meeting at 11:30am.

Qualifying at 12 noon.

Racing from 1pm to 6pm.

Simple and not one overhead light was turned on or a huge energy bill cranked up. These two day to weekend racing and night shows are killing budgets for everyone - owners and drivers alike. People must evolve/think outside the box to make things work.

Just an idea. I get paid to in my day job to brainstorm.

I grew up around SAS and I know the track well. I moved to New England a few years ago for awhile and frequented the tracks up there. They did something I had never seen before and it should be tried at SAS to keep over head low. They did schedules like a NASCAR show and day raced.

Schedule as follows:

Gates open at 7am.

Practice from 9-11:30am

Driver's meeting at 11:30am.

Qualifying at 12 noon.

Racing from 1pm to 6pm.

Simple and not one overhead light was turned on or a huge energy bill cranked up. These two day to weekend racing and night shows are killing budgets for everyone - owners and drivers alike. People must evolve/think outside the box to make things work.

Just an idea. I get paid to in my day job to brainstorm.

Just a question

How hot does it get in the middle of august in new england between 1pm and 6pm?

Just a question... How hot does it get in the middle of august in new england between 1pm and 6pm?

same thought ..just hanging out in the pits is murder much less having to work on a hot motor . at sas twice this year people were having trouble with just keeping enough liquid in em ..heck even the electric fans were complaining ...night time was winter compared to daytime temps ...120 plus where we were pitting..no way in heck would we want to race in those temps .

Again, adjust. Race March, April, June, then skip to September, October. There were only 4 races run this season and they can be adjusted to times where heat isn't an issue. We practice all day long during the day in August, what's the difference???

This discussion seems to have strayed a bit.The Chris and Brian team gave proof to anyone with a genuine passion and budget, that the speedway can exist.Talking about rules, dates, payouts etc... is pointless without such said person or persons. Unless you are a wealthy stock car racing junkie, just let it go. Any wealthy hero out there? Something tells me you will receive more respect than previous owner/promoters have, in light of what has transpired over the last decade. At least I would hope so.

Passion and lots of money......

Archived