Texas Thunder closing..

Banker36

If you've never been to this track or its been awhile, come on out this weekend. It will be closing after 42 years of operation with no chance of opening back up as the property has been sold and a walmart is slated to be built.

If you want to get a taste of some GREAT side by side racing and experience one of the best dirt tracks in Texas then I suggest you come out this weekend. Its only about a hours drive from Austin. It would be nice to see the stands packed one last time for all the drivers participating in Saturdays races.

Starts at 8. There will also be a race of champions in each class and a trailer race at the end.

3406 W. Stan Schlueter Loop, Killeen, TX 76543

Very true a very sad day for Texas Racing. I have enjoyed my year of working at Texas Thunder Speedway. If you have a chance to make it out this Sat night you will see a very good show and a lot of things going on in the Pits after the race, part of the goings on will be a live band,,and i hear FREE BEER,,,,,check it out if you have a chance...

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I have not been on in a while and I just wanted to agree this is very sad. From a person that has heard the stories of opening day in 1972 from my grandpas and parents. Then my uncle running in the 80s and 90s. last my run in the early 2000s. Texas thunder will always be my favorite track. it will be missed by many and for me it will be the track that made my grandpas prefer dirt over asphalt.

RIP Stars and stripes/ Texas Thunder Speedway.

• 2 years later...

We raced there from the onset 76, 77 and 78. Car was #34,, a gold 33 chev 5 window coupe, straight axle, 6 cyl. that put us in the super modified class. we ran against real supers and did quite well....Bobby Harms was my driver (has now passed on to the Big Track In the sky) Larry Roming the owner, we had great fans at the Stars and Stripes, seemed to be a crowd fav as many came down to the pits after the race to visit. Bill Barbee was owner/promoter if I remember correctly. good ol days, hated to see it go...lr

you are correct about Bill. my Grandfathers were also there when the placed opened it gates. and I got to race there as well. such a great track and it is sad to see it gone.

Archived