My Personal prediction regarding May 3rd & 4th race at CTS

fast18

First I would like to say that I support ALL Short Track Racing in Texas. Asphalt and Dirt.

I am predicting the turnout to be better for both the races on friday & saturday night @ CTS but....

Friday's turnout may not be enough to continue having 2 nights with the track looking at it from a business point of view. They could just do away with that night and the classes running that night or listen to some suggestions from the racers and fans. They have listened to the racers so that being said...

I will start off with my suggestions and hopefully others will comment on here.

Your "average" racer, crew and fan probably has a job that makes it difficult to get ready and show up for a friday night race. That will keep car count low and spectators from showing up. I "personally" think if the friday classes were added to saturday's show it would improve car count and spectator attendance. My suggestion to make this work where the races would still be completed by 9:00 is

#1. Start show earlier

#2. Cut laps on all or most races

#3. Do away with some of the ride alongs

#4. No intermission or shorten intermission

If my class is done away with I'll either haul to one of the other 3 tracks or go fishing....

I agree about the friday show. Racing is not a money making sport for the racers but if the tracks lose money than the racing goes away.

I noticed that there was some extra time saturday for whatever reason and they had to stall the show temporarily to stay on the schedule they had set. Running ahead of schedule seemed to be rare at that place. I think its possible to fit another class in. Dont know how many but its possible. As for cutting laps, I dont know how many anyone else ran but the class I was in.

Because they only have events once a month its hard to suggest rotating a night off for a class to fit another in. The down side to starting too early is the fans lose interest after a while sitting in those bleachers. Its a balancing act for sure.

I do have a comment about the show though. The after show that is:

I hear from hundreds of people "support texas racing" be it asphalt or dirt. CTS is trying to keep a track going by going in more than one direction. Not just the racing but the music. Not sure if you guys realize this or not, but those bands that play after the races get paid there set price no matter if 5000 people or 5 people stay and watch. But with only 5 people there, how many times do you think the bands will return? You always want people to go the the grocery store car shows dont ya? But yet as soon as the awards are presented you are the first out the gate. Its a concert for free!!! Stick around, enjoy it. The music is helping fund the racing. Now before anyone decides to beat me over the head, yes I realize not everyone can stay late. Some travel long distances. I am fortunate not to have to go far, but really??? 75% of the crowd took off after the awards. Stick around, enjoy the show, with larger crowds you get more interest in the track and that benefits everyone.

JMO!

There was a lot of "deadtime" on the track during the scheduled practices - Especially on Friday but also on Saturday... they could condense that some by allowing two classes per scheduled slot (as long as they are close in size and speed it should not be a problem) and move some of the Friday races to Saturday if car counts come up to the point of running over 9pm (allowing a later Friday start). But hottest part of day is 5-6 pm! I still can't see anything "wrong" with two nights though - that is something that's (yes) aggressive - but it takes aggressive ideas to lead in any business model!

And I was very impressed with the 9PM - hit it right on the money first time, (Friday ended just a tad early)!

First I would like to say that I support ALL Short Track Racing in Texas. Asphalt and Dirt.

I am predicting the turnout to be better for both the races on friday & saturday night @ CTS but....

Friday's turnout may not be enough to continue having 2 nights with the track looking at it from a business point of view. They could just do away with that night and the classes running that night or listen to some suggestions from the racers and fans. They have listened to the racers so that being said...

I will start off with my suggestions and hopefully others will comment on here.

Your "average" racer, crew and fan probably has a job that makes it difficult to get ready and show up for a friday night race. That will keep car count low and spectators from showing up. I "personally" think if the friday classes were added to saturday's show it would improve car count and spectator attendance. My suggestion to make this work where the races would still be completed by 9:00 is

#1. Start show earlier

#2. Cut laps on all or most races

#3. Do away with some of the ride alongs

#4. No intermission or shorten intermission

If my class is done away with I'll either haul to one of the other 3 tracks or go fishing....

I agree that the Friday show would have better car counts and more fans if it started later. If I were running things (which I am not) I would start at 7:30 and do away with the band on Friday's.

From what I saw on Saturday, they got it right. For a management team that just put on their first race, it went very smooth and as planned. Their was a little down time but the meet and greet of the drivers in the Pro Late class was really cool for the fans and drivers and it was done while all the fans were in the stands.

As for starting the show earlier on Saturday, it already starts at 5 PM with the Bando's, NasKarts and Dwarf's from 5 till 6 PM. The reason for the down time on Saturday, in my opinion, was the low car count with the Pro Mods. Their show went pretty fast although even with more cars they could go green the whole race like they did in Houston during their first feature last Saturday night. I think the Pro Mod's will be much better represented next CTS race. Same with all the Pro Classes. I have talked to a number of teams who said they will be out next race and their are some who are just now getting their cars finished in time for this weekend in SA.

If I raced on Friday's I would concentrate on getting more of my fellow racers to show up. Even if they don't start later on Friday's, its' only one Friday a month. That's a good excuse to take off work early. (Just my opinion)

The only time I see more people telling other people how to do there job is if I ask somebody how to cook crawfish. !

Plenty of tracks for sale, for all those people who know how to run one.

legfixr, If you are talking about me telling someone how to do their job you are wrong ! Big G Smith had mentioned in another post that he thought if friday didn't improve after the next race there may be the chance of doing away with friday night and those classes. I have NO problem with racing friday nights. I actually like it but I can get off friday and live 15 miles from the track. I could talk all day to others in my class but if they can't make it I'm just wasting my time. I have been around several people who have run tracks and I don't want any part of that. I opened this up for "suggestions" just in case Big G was right about the possibility of doing away with the friday show.

legfixr, If you are talking about me telling someone how to do their job you are wrong ! Big G Smith had mentioned in another post that he thought if friday didn't improve after the next race there may be the chance of doing away with friday night and those classes. I have NO problem with racing friday nights. I actually like it but I can get off friday and live 15 miles from the track. I could talk all day to others in my class but if they can't make it I'm just wasting my time. I have been around several people who have run tracks and I don't want any part of that. I opened this up for "suggestions" just in case Big G was right about the possibility of doing away with the friday show.

Not telling anyone in particular, I find it kind of amusing in my own way, that some subjects that come up in this forum really raise a stir and people take it so seriously and are so opionated and convicted to there beliefs and methods. Some peoples suggestions and constructive critisism comes across as "know it all "and better than. Not how I feel at all, just amused at how worked up some get. Any way spent way too much time responding to this other stuff to worry about and comment on.

I've seen suggestions that may come across "know it all" and better than. My comments are only suggestions. I still have a few races left in me and would like it to be near home. Tow money and motels aren't really in my budget.

Why not go to a Saturday and Sunday show.

It has been talked on here about how hard Friday and Saturday is. From 40 years or so experience, Friday is almost never a good draw unless it is an established program, like Waco for the past several decades.

In the Longhorn Speedway days, one of the most brilliant decisions ever made at that track was when Alvin Stewart took over promotion and moved it to Saturday nights. More cars, more fans, and did not affect San Antonio much, since everyone had already created their track specific classes.

But Sunday is a disaster for short track racing for anything short of an event like the Snowball Derby, AA400, or something along those lines. And yes, it has been tried in this area, and no, it didn't last.

Then there is a whole weekend for racing and things can be a little less trouble getting off work and dealing with friday traffic

I live 1 mile from I-35. I am glad I know all the backroads in the area so I can avoid that 70 mile long parking lot known as Sunday afternoon traffic from north of Austin to South of San Antonio....

Not trying to be negative here, but this rodeo has been around a long time, and the Friday or Sunday thing has been tried many times before without success.

Sounds as though it would be better to just run the Fri classes on an alternating Saturday. Its not like it is more expensive to open on a Sat. vs. Sun. They would get a larger car count fan count ect. than they would running on a Fri. Ive seen it happen at I37 when they made the switch... Just my .02

Archived