HMP stock cars vs. trucks

ss31

What would make the HMP stock cars more appealing to build and race? Would more adjustability help, like what the trucks have? Less weight ? Weight jacks in front ? No stock rockers or firewall ? Aftermarket bodies ...ie.. pro late model or AR muscle car bodies like the camaro, mustang, and challanger ? I would like to hear from current truck owners & drivers on this subject as well. For example, what would make you build/race a stock car instead of a truck?

THIS IS A SERIOUS DISCUSSION SO PLEASE KEEP IT THAT WAY! SERIOUS THOUGHTFUL INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU!

You pretty much nailed all of them I think. For me, it seems like the cost to build and run a truck vs. a stock car would be pretty comparable. So cost being equal, a truck gives you more adjustability, aftermarket body, and less weight on the car.

However, if you were to "give" all of that to the stock cars, what would be the real difference between the two classes?

One thing the stock cars have going for them that is pretty cool is the ability to infuse some variety in the cars. I love watching that big Olds and that Monte duke it out week after week. The rules being the way they are allow that to happen.

So for me, I think it makes more sense to find ways to open up the stock car rules a little without making them too similar to the trucks rules. Maybe the super stock invitation will help that some without getting out of hand....hopefully.

Truck 99 hit the nail on the head ......It is cool to watch grocery getters or moms cars going at it.

"So for me, I think it makes more sense to find ways to open up the stock car rules a little without making them too similar to the trucks rules. Maybe the super stock invitation will help that some without getting out of hand....hopefully. "

...or AR muscle car bodies like the camaro, mustang, and challanger?...

Like this? I think they would look much better with these bodies and would help take some of that weight out.

OK, from a novice. I also think you should keep them pretty close to what they are. The trucks are hitting there limit on entrys and when people start not qualifying and allowed to run, they will switch to Stock cars where they can run every race. As every class people are already pushing the line on some rules so I wouldn't change much, except items that allow other track similiar classes to run.

If you are looking for a great set of rules for the stock car class, go to Flat rock speedway and get a set of the Street stock rules. This is the most competitive set of rules around the country and they do not mirror the trucks. The rules ARCA suplies to this class is great. When I was racing at Flat Rock from 89 to 94 there would be 80 plus cars entered in this class alone and there were 3 mains. and A - B - C main every Saturday with a seperate set of points for each night because there would be over 60 to 65 cars show up to race in just the Street Stock class. Even with the terrible economy in the Detroit are today the class still has basically the same car count and that in it self is amazing.

Like this? I think they would look much better with these bodies and would help take some of that weight out.

Those Muscle Car "Stock Bodies" look better and more stock appearing than the Nationwide series cars do.

Those are some sexy looking bodies for sure but what would separate them from a 'Late Model'?

When I started building my car (#55) I looked at my budget and me as a racer. I enjoy touching every nut-and-bolt on my car - I can say I did it my way. But that's just me. Some racers want to buy a fast turn-key car. That's their perogative. And that's where I see the trucks coming into play.

To me, the cars are a little cheaper to build. Why? You have to basically buy a pre-fabbed truck chassis which costs $$. Plus, I've never been a real fan of automatic trannys in racing. (Which I'm sure costs $$ to do right.) Again, just me.

So, I put a parts list together, and a budget and sought to build my car - the old school way. And, yes, much blood loss and burns later we're running up front. I don't think you can do that with the trucks. Jack would have your arse in tech!! He'd probably find a bar that didn't meet 'spec'.

Right now, the trucks and cars are running the same times. I personally like the rules the way they are (though I do have one change I'd like to see)... :rolleyes: ...So, if we're running the same times, you might just find you have better 'results' with the cars.

So, If I were to do it again (which I'm considering) I'd build a car. No, we don't have the tunability of the trucks but that's what separates those in victory lane, and those not - you have to figure it out.

And, 'Thank You' Truck99 - it's taken a while but we're getting closer. (One of these days we'll scale the car, sort out the front geometry and dial it in better...)

• 4 months later...

I think we need to follow the imca hobby stock rules and get rid of the NASCAR license an take away the revalveable shocks or have a custom sealed set so that everyone has the same shocks.also seal the crate motors back up but I'm all for the different body styles I wouldn't mind running the sportsman body five star has.

Do CTS and/or SA rules allow for aftermarket bodes (of the ARP style)?

Do they allow for a more modern set of chassis or suspension systems?

What I’m hinting at, do they allow for updating the class so it can move forward in a way that would attract more to the class than just the existing market?

To me, that is how the class development should be patterned.

If you read the rules they allow aftermarket bodies, weight jacks, floaters and more. They have weight penalties and weight breaks. There are 3 engine rules. My car is a dinosaur so I will need to make upgrades or buy an old TSRS car and make some changes.

Personally I really like the rules. It allows a variety of cars from different tracks and some from dirt also. I think CC Speedway has already adapted these rules. HMP should get on board too.

To have all the adjustability and variances in a "Street Stock" class makes it a Late Model class imo. Do you want a Street Stock class or a Late Model class? My understanding of a Street Stock class is kinda of an in between from a "pure" stock class and a Late Model class. You guys are basically making it sound like the Trucks are Late Models with Truck bodies. I think a Street Stock class should put the ability in the driver not their wallet and some of the things seem like you can buy speed. Those bodies do look nice, but they look like Late Models. Street Stocks typically seem to be older Camaros, Monte Carlo's, Olds, etc. but it seems like you guys are proposing a very expensive Street Stock/Late Model hybrid.

These body's where made to my understanding to go on super stock/stock cars in the first place ie: metric chassis. I have always wanted to put the latest body affordable on the supers, but met resistance from the old school folk in the past. Could you even imagine seeing 20+ of these bad boys on a track at one time? Would be bad ass. The 69 car that runs at SAS is in a class of its own as far as looks go. WICKED!

If you read the rules they allow aftermarket bodies, weight jacks, floaters and more. They have weight penalties and weight breaks. There are 3 engine rules. My car is a dinosaur so I will need to make upgrades or buy an old TSRS car and make some changes.

Personally I really like the rules. It allows a variety of cars from different tracks and some from dirt also. I think CC Speedway has already adapted these rules. HMP should get on board too.

No ccsw has not gone all the way with sas ,cts rules ,"Just parts of the rules "we have pieces of all kinds of rules.

Archived