Track Announcer Retires (Involuntarily)

chiefs13

Well, with I-37 now officially done, it is time to power down the microphone and end my 18 year racing career as a race track announcer. Not exactly the way I envisoned it would happen, but hey, things happen. It has beeen a joy to meet so many wonderful people in the racing community from my start back in the mid 90's at Shady Oaks to Texas Dirt Speedway, San Antonio Speedway, Thunderhill and finally I-37. As I mentioned at Donny Horelkas funeral recently, this a is a FAMILY atmosphere. Plus the brave men and women who pilot these racing machines have always impressed me with their bravery and courage.

Here a re just a few thank you shout outs:

all the track managers and associated staff, it was a pleasure working with all of you

to the fans, thank you for letting me entertain you for so many years. There was a lot of laughter in the stands over the years and I tried to do my best to have as much fun as possible and make it an enjoyable evening at the races. I've watched children grow over the years from childhood to adulthood and adults grow into senior adults and I appreciate meeting and knowing you for so many years.

to all the drivers, again you have my respect for what you do. It takes a specal person to do what you do.

I hope to visit some of the tracks over the course of the year, and maybe fill in as annnouncer if needed and hope to see familiar faces. And of course for the 1st time in 18 years I'll be able to play golf on Saturdays now. I still have my high school football announcing and all my announcing at UTSA. But now there is a giant void without racing that I will miss dearly.

Thank you for your time, thank you for your friendships and thank you for the memories that I will carry with me the rest of my life. It's been a joy. Continue to support your local tracks so racing can survive.

"green flag, green light"

Milton Hope

your race track announcer in South Texas

Milton, thanks for all of your years of entertaining all us. In announcing circles in South Texas when it comes to racing your name is one that always comes to mind with fans and race teams because of the great job you have always done.

Hope to see you down the road again very soon my friend.

Rodney

Milton, it was a pleasure to sit aside you in the booth at I-37 Raceway while I worked there.

You are a true asset to racing, your excitement when announcing and getting the crowd involved was seen every week!

I wish you the very best in wherever the road takes you. Knowing you, it will be golf and lots of it.

Awe man!

Who am I going to beat in the next, not quit annual "Fastest Race Announcer in Texas" race now?

I have a feeling that retirement from the race announcing won't last long. Good ones always find a place to announce.

Good luck to you in the future. Thank you for all you have done for the racing community through the years.

Regards,

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Thank you sir for all the years at sas and I37 you are great at what you do and you did a awesome job at Donny's funeral there was a lot of people who told the family how it was the best service they had ever been to and the ending was just perfect. I wish you all the best

Dwayne Markgraf

I hate to hear you are retiring. I am from Corpus Christi and always enjoyed hearing you announce at San Antonio Speedway when we came up there. If there is an announcer position open in Corpus Christi please consider it. Good luck to you.

Milton,

Was your neighbor for a long time. I am not letting you retire.. See you at STS like Owen said. .lol... Honestly, you know us, you know our history and being at a new track it would help the fans to get to know us if the announcer could talk about us and you know each of us better than anyone.. Im beggin ya.... Hell,,,,, Ill even let ya hot lap the nitro express... There I said it... its yours.. Please please please???? LMAO seriously...see you at STS...

Archived