WHAT CLASSES BRING THE FANS TO THE RACE TRACKS?

fastmontgomery15

What brings fans are the drivers.It matters little if it a Cup driver or a bomber...err pure stock.A big name driver can bring fans by exposure but I have found the biggest draw for a local track are the friends and relatives of the neighborhood racer.Every car has a fan base but many promoters like many racers still think bigger is better and dont consider the entry level cars in spite of the fact thats what the average fan can relate with.

Drop all the entry level classes and your fan base will be the well off who support themselves.Bring in the kid with his first race car and you bring in his family,friends and neighbors.Now dont all the tickets cost the same?If Iwas a promoter I would put a great purse in a class that most people could afford and make money by numbers.Just compare the cost factors,amount of fans per cost of purse.Even NASCAR is loosing fans with the most popular drivers in the world.

How many cars would race a pure stock or ministock if the purse was even half of a late model?And the best show is the class with the most cars,period.It was in the old days and it is now.The shinny is worn off.Time for creative thinking.My thought has been if oval trackers could somehow draft the "fast and furious" croud it would open up a huge new fan base.There the ones that are the car modifiers and hot rodders of today.If Vin Diesel showed up at a local track with a FF car,would that sell tickets?

Someday a promoter will figgure this out.The money is in the masses.We just keep our vanity looking in the mirror.Unfortunately not so many others are looking too.

Back in the early 2000's when Romco, TSRS and the TAMS modifieds were still around, SAS would have 3 or 4 shows per year with only those three classes racing. On those nights the stands would be packed. The weekly shows at the time did not put half of the people in the stands that the ROMCO/TSRS/TAMS shows would.

It's the same old question and it has been answered in many ways before.

IMHO, a track should put on a show that runs on time and finishes at a reasonable hour(approx. 10:30pm at the latest). Next, there is no point in running ten classes with six cars in each class. That's not much of a race. Folks are not going to come and sit in the grandstand weekly for six hours a night. Concessions need to be good and reasonably priced. A family of four can't drop $50 at the concession stand weekly. A track needs four classes. A cheap beater limited prep class, a stock car that is cost effective, a super stock type class(or trucks) and a show class(late model, modified, something fast but able to field ten cars regularly) Give each class every fourth week off and bring in a touring show once a month for a change of pace.

Finally, the bottom line is a race track is a business venture and in these times, few can afford to support a track on their own wealth. A successful business is usually the result of two things. Strong leadership and great people for employees. A racer is the track's customer the same as the fan, they need to feel like it. As well, the "click" should never exist and the rules should be enforced fairly.

Again, this is only an opinion.

Todd Farris

I'm taking this question as an asphalt track.If the track was racing every other week I would go bomber/pure stock, street/super stock,limited/sport mod and alternate trucks and late models as a 4rth class..I wouldn't run more than four classes as it stretches the purse out too thin. For dirt I would go pure/bomber , street ,limited mod and e-mod.

How many cars would race a pure stock or ministock if the purse was even half of a late model?

Minis, grands and thunders purses were almost non existent. I think minis were 50/35/20. Even if you won the thunder class you were still out of money. And if you wernt the top 3 in thunders you got 40 bucks. That makes it real hard to justify putting any money in your car. We didnt even have enough money to go to half the races last year little alone be able to compete with cars that have multiple sponsers.

Ill agree with fastman on the rankings...from my friends I know late models are the favorite by far. then supers then mods and trucks.

GOOD CAR COUNT IN WHATEVER CLASS IS VERY POPULAR, IMO, BOMBERS HAVE GOOD CAR COUNT, COMPETIVE AND AFFORDABLE RACING IF THERE IS SUCH A THING. BUT I LIKE TOO SEE LATEMODELS AND SPRINT CARS, BUT IF THEY RAN EVERY WEEK THEN IT WOULD NOT BE A SPECIAL DEAL, SPORT MODS ALWAYS HAVE GOOD CAR COUNT AND USUALLY GOOD RACING SOMETIMES CRASHFEST. IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH MONEY TO WIN IN LOWER CLASSES THEN EVERY RACER WILL BRING SUCH A CAR AND SPOIL IT FOR THE NEW, YOUNGER, LESS EXPERIENCED OR POOR RACERS. JUST MY OPINIONS.

BOBBY JACK

GOOD CAR COUNT IN WHATEVER CLASS IS VERY POPULAR, IMO, BOMBERS HAVE GOOD CAR COUNT, COMPETIVE AND AFFORDABLE RACING IF THERE IS SUCH A THING. BUT I LIKE TOO SEE LATEMODELS AND SPRINT CARS, BUT IF THEY RAN EVERY WEEK THEN IT WOULD NOT BE A SPECIAL DEAL, SPORT MODS ALWAYS HAVE GOOD CAR COUNT AND USUALLY GOOD RACING SOMETIMES CRASHFEST. IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH MONEY TO WIN IN LOWER CLASSES THEN EVERY RACER WILL BRING SUCH A CAR AND SPOIL IT FOR THE NEW, YOUNGER, LESS EXPERIENCED OR POOR RACERS. JUST MY OPINIONS.

BOBBY JACK

TO MUCH TO WIN IN LOWER CLASSES ....WHEN YOU HAVE CLASSES WITH FOUR HUNDRED PLUS TO WIN AND ONLY FOUR TO FIVE SHOW UP WEEK AFTER WEEK .AND THEN YOU HAVE CLASS OR CLASSES WITH 12 PLUS SHOW UP ON MOST NIGHTS AND PAY IS $100.00 TO WIN FIRST PLACE AND YEAR AFTER YEAR ITS THE SAME PURSE WITH THE SAME CLASS OR CLASSES .SOMETHING IS WRONG ..YOU KNOW THE UPPER CLASS WITH FOUR OR FIVE CARS IS IN NO WAY PAYING ITS OWN PURSE PER SAY .THE LOWER CLASSES ARE PAYING FOR THAT ..YET SHARE LITTLE OF THE PIE ..AND GET THE LEST RESPECT ..COST OF EVEN THE LOWER CLASSES HAVE CLIMBED JUST LIKE THE OTHER CLASSES BUT GET WAY LESS IN RETURN ...KINDA SOUNDS LIKE THE 1 PERCENT DEAL .LOL PEOPLE WANT TO SEE A GOOD CAR COUNT WITH GOOD CLOSE RACEN ....

TO MUCH TO WIN IN LOWER CLASSES ....WHEN YOU HAVE CLASSES WITH FOUR HUNDRED PLUS TO WIN AND ONLY FOUR TO FIVE SHOW UP WEEK AFTER WEEK .AND THEN YOU HAVE CLASS OR CLASSES WITH 12 PLUS SHOW UP ON MOST NIGHTS AND PAY IS $100.00 TO WIN FIRST PLACE AND YEAR AFTER YEAR ITS THE SAME PURSE WITH THE SAME CLASS OR CLASSES .SOMETHING IS WRONG ..YOU KNOW THE UPPER CLASS WITH FOUR OR FIVE CARS IS IN NO WAY PAYING ITS OWN PURSE PER SAY .THE LOWER CLASSES ARE PAYING FOR THAT ..YET SHARE LITTLE OF THE PIE ..AND GET THE LEST RESPECT ..COST OF EVEN THE LOWER CLASSES HAVE CLIMBED JUST LIKE THE OTHER CLASSES BUT GET WAY LESS IN RETURN ...KINDA SOUNDS LIKE THE 1 PERCENT DEAL .LOL PEOPLE WANT TO SEE A GOOD CAR COUNT WITH GOOD CLOSE RACEN ....

Keep in mind Hitech that those cars racing for 500"TO WIN" bucks spend more than that on one set of tires that are good for one night not to mention $10/gal/fuel and pit passes. Before all of this gets rationalized out, those 500 to win cars spend around 12-15k for a motor. This is one of the reasons my car is parked because 75 bucks to start is a joke after the entry fee. Now, this car is more worthless than before.

Todd

BOBBY JACK

I agree with Bobby's statement. I really like to watch Latemodels on asphalt and dirt and modifieds ashalt or dirt but some of the best racing I've watched in the last couple of years have been street stocks andbombers/purestocks.

Archived