SAS 2013

MikeReininger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about guys like Adam Haugh, Mark Ackerman, Taylor Brandes? I saw Adam brought his car to Kyle to test once this year. Self's have 2 TSRS late models just sitting.... And that's just off the top of my head.

Mark sold his car...but it's out there.

There are other cars out there too.

listing some of what you said too...

18 Marshal

04 Roper (been for sale for a while)

66 Bearden

37 ex Ackerman

77 Balser (I think is still around)

41 Horelka (I think is still around)

51 Menard

12 Haugh

92 Brandes

If all these people have all these cars just itching to race, why was the car count so low at THR? Just would like to know. If they wouldn't support THR, why would they support SAS?

Look at post #14 in this thread - http://www.lonestarspeedzone.com/forums/in...showtopic=51858

I think I understand what you're saying.

I have a little different take on it. This was a dinasaur class from the beginning. It was designed to grab the SS's when SAS cancelled them. As a result, THR wound up with a bastard class that doesn't match the rules of any other class in the US. In order to bring more cars in, the promoter got suckered into modifying the rules at the request of some of the racers, under the promise that it would bring in more cars. Instead, it did the opposite by obsoleteing existing cars and further bastardizing the class. So then, if you run this class at SAS, what rules are you going to run? Decidedly there are more of the "old style" TSRS car out there than recent ones.

If you want a strong class at SAS with good car counts, design the rules so these cars can run with the ProLates (also a weak class in this part of the country). Then you might get enough cars to sustain a good car count over time.

Double D

I'm sure the zealots will jump all over this, but it's JMO.

If all these people have all these cars just itching to race, why was the car count so low at THR? Just would like to know. If they wouldn't support THR, why would they support SAS?

Look at post #14 in this thread - http://www.lonestarspeedzone.com/forums/in...showtopic=51858

I think I understand what you're saying.

I have a little different take on it. This was a dinasaur class from the beginning. It was designed to grab the SS's when SAS cancelled them. As a result, THR wound up with a bastard class that doesn't match the rules of any other class in the US. In order to bring more cars in, the promoter got suckered into modifying the rules at the request of some of the racers, under the promise that it would bring in more cars. Instead, it did the opposite by obsoleteing existing cars and further bastardizing the class. So then, if you run this class at SAS, what rules are you going to run? Decidedly there are more of the "old style" TSRS car out there than recent ones.

If you want a strong class at SAS with good car counts, design the rules so these cars can run with the ProLates (also a weak class in this part of the country). Then you might get enough cars to sustain a good car count over time.

Double D

I'm sure the zealots will jump all over this, but it's JMO.

Ill agree with ya HRAY. Ive always thought they were dinasaurs as well. And IMO i never thought 2 classes that even looked the same was good for car counts. You get 2 smaller classes vs one bigger class and if one is running they will never update thier stuff and youll always have 2 small classes. But if you make them run with the prolates they will eventually update thier stuff to be competitive. Ive always enjoyed running poor with lots of cars vs running fast with just a couple. And as a fan they look the same and car counts matter alot. JMO

At first I thought you were joking. I was in "your" shop talking to someone that quit running THR. For one reason or another, legitimate or not, there were a lot of axes to grind. Some stayed as I did, some didn't. If there are enough of these cars out there, and there is, then we may put on a decent show. No one is talking about creating a circuit. If we end up getting 20-24 "bastards" together, then let us "bastards" race. ;)

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think you'll get 20-24 cars unless you combine them with the ProLates. Think of what a great class it would be to have maybe even 30 cars. Or even the 17 or 18 that have responded here plus the 21 P/L's that came in Oct.

Also Mike, you know my bastard comment was in regard to the class, not the people. :(

Over the TSRS era I've bought at least 5 TSRS cars and chassis (maybe more), but I've cut everyone of them up and parted them out or made dirt cars out of them for the very reason I talked about. The pool of people interested in getting into TSRS or already in it is so small it's not worth trying to sell these cars. If you bring these cars into the same class as P/L's, you not only give them a place to race, but you open a market for those that want to sell theirs.

I also know the rules can be designed to make the class competitive. There are classes that mix crates with built motors, coilovers, big spring, 105" wheelbase to 108" wheelbase and on and on.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think you'll get 20-24 cars unless you combine them with the ProLates. Think of what a great class it would be to have maybe even 30 cars. Or even the 17 or 18 that have responded here plus the 21 P/L's that came in Oct.

I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to run mine against a pro late.

It's only November, and there are 17 that have replied. We'll see what turns up.

I think some of you guys are forgetting one big issue... Tires. Pro lates run 10" tires tsrs runs 8" tires. If they race together, who has to be the one to change so all cars run same tire? Solve the problem by having the "tsrs" type late models and the pro late models. Just don't run them on the same night. Most fans don't the difference and ask why are they running two classes of late models. These two class are too widely different to MAKE them run together. As Mike has said there are enough tsrs cars out there and enough pro lates out there to each have there own class and rules.

Didn't the NASCAR Late Models run 10" tires at SAS?

8" tires is what we ended on, so all these cars have 8" rims, and could have problems fitting 10" tires under the body they have. I know I would.

Just as a courtesy guys, give us a chance to see what we got. We are not trying to form a new class. We are just finding out how many of these cars are out there and willing to put them on the track.

Maybe the grand stocks, chargers, and street stocks should run together. Think about the car count. Just trying to deflect the car count discussion a different direction. ;)

Archived