How did the meeting turn out?

mod88s

Seriously not everyone is going to be happy but did they ever do any market research before they made the decisions they made?

Jamie,

Jamie, most, if not all, short tracks get started out of a sincere love of the sport rather than any sound business decision based on clear-cut market research. It's apparent that the folks putting this track together have the passion for the sport at heart and seem to have a sincere desire to provide a track that folks can be proud of.

Let's give them a chance to get the ball rolling before we start casting stones, eh?

Nick

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously not everyone is going to be happy but did they ever do any market research before they made the decisions they made?

What do they have to work with Jamie? Every direction has different rules and classes. Every driver has his own agenda. I dont see 100 different people on here upset? I see a select few saying the are speaking for 100's which is a grossly exagerated number. Its not like the other tracks have up and disappeared taking away all options. At least they are not trying to run 10 classes every night. They are running classes they truely believe will be successful in car count verses purse from day 1. I am sure another class will be considered at some point. Its really not a big deal. I think the track that has made the most of their offseason is STS and nobody is saying anything about them. Bombers rules have been upgraded to help I37 Pure stocks, SOS pure stocks and STS bombers run together, Pure stocks have been upgraded to help them run with street stocks in the area and other cars able to go to STS, Starting a new restricted limited class which I believe is the start of a new evolution of open wheel cars just like when the original limiteds started. Mods fazing out in the area, recent limited rule changes making them better/faster, and now a new limited class allowing older limited cars a class to compete in. These are big time steps in the right direction to help both drivers and tracks in the area not just STS.

Yup outlaw rules are what I consider the main reason for the demise of the Modifieds. Budget racers can't compete with deep pockets....Which brings to the table one of the biggest hiccups for me personally. The size of this track. It's just my thinking but wouldn't a track of this size make driver ability less of a factor than horsepower? Budget racers will have a hard time keeping up with the big motors that deeper pockets can buy. A smaller track with a full field of cars to me, is more entertaining than a bigger track that makes it easier for the field to get spread out. Just like in Nascar, the races at say Pocono raceway are pretty boring to watch compared to say Martinsville where the stands are always full.

Trying to draw cars from other tracks is a lot easier when drivers don't have to change a whole lot to race there. The rules for my class make it really hard for me to decide that it's worth me spending hundreds of dollars for wheels, tires and gears to just race at this track. And there are 4 cars that I run with from Bryan who always race together in my class, so that's hundreds of dollars for four of us, not to mention the other Street Stocks that are around here and don't run with my group....Not too hard for us to just say no and good luck to Cotton Bowl Speedway.

But like I said, it's just my way of thinking and I don't know much. After all, I'm just a racer...:)

It's not the drivers responsablity to show and hope to get to race. Put a class on the schedule, be consitant, and pay. In time they will start to show up. If there is nothing scheduled, then said track can not expect other cars to show up.

The Modifieds have all but died off in south and east Texas. They are still doing fine elsewhere.

As far as remembering where the Mods came from. Doesn't matter. It's called evolution. Remember where Crapcar started and look at the cars now.

I wish this track well. It's nice to have dirt track racing back in central Texas again. For me, it's a waiting game to see what unfolds.

For those that are close by and don't have a class to race in here, try helping out one of the schools in the Hope Program.

Wayne

This is exactly why racing is dying here...."its not my job"

If outlaw is to blame....why did I37 average about 8 cars in modifieds all year? (not picking on I37 they are a great track and doing a great job...just this is where I have been this last year)

The thought..pay the money...stay consistantand and they will show.....great theory....now...have you ever watched races before? I myself as a spectator would not attend a track to watch 6 classes with 6 cars each. The fans are what make or break a track...I know every racer thinks were gods gift to tracks...but it just isnt so.... you know what is? The entry level cars....front runners ecostocks...bombers.....whatever the local guys run...you know ....the guys who show up with 50 friends and family to watch....

I agree the modifieds have a better count up north.... and like its been said several times....organize and show up.....dont stand in the shadows and say I told you so... I always have felt....if your not part of the solution...then your part of the problem..... and racings biggest problem is....everyone feels its not their job to make it better.

Yup outlaw rules are what I consider the main reason for the demise of the Modifieds. Budget racers can't compete with deep pockets....Which brings to the table one of the biggest hiccups for me personally. The size of this track. It's just my thinking but wouldn't a track of this size make driver ability less of a factor than horsepower? Budget racers will have a hard time keeping up with the big motors that deeper pockets can buy. A smaller track with a full field of cars to me, is more entertaining than a bigger track that makes it easier for the field to get spread out. Just like in Nascar, the races at say Pocono raceway are pretty boring to watch compared to say Martinsville where the stands are always full.

Trying to draw cars from other tracks is a lot easier when drivers don't have to change a whole lot to race there. The rules for my class make it really hard for me to decide that it's worth me spending hundreds of dollars for wheels, tires and gears to just race at this track. And there are 4 cars that I run with from Bryan who always race together in my class, so that's hundreds of dollars for four of us, not to mention the other Street Stocks that are around here and don't run with my group....Not too hard for us to just say no and good luck to Cotton Bowl Speedway.

But like I said, it's just my way of thinking and I don't know much. After all, I'm just a racer...:)

Your tires are legal.....the ss rule is 8" wheels...almost identical to every track that runs this class....the gear? I have a different gear for 4 different 1/4 mile tracks....so..no matter the size you would most likely need a different gear....

But you do bring up my point exactly...almost every racer complains if every aspect is not tailored to their personal needs....we are our own worst enemy.

I have given more than my 2 cents worth and will now keep my big mouth shut.... good luck no matter where you go....AJ

AJ, I-37 is/has been the only track to run IMCA up against all the other "outlaw" tracks....and now will probably be the only south Texas track running modifieds....I suspect that guys that ran SOS/TRP, like Nicky, will probably convert back to an IMCA legal car, others that couldn't compete with the fast guys may follow suit as well....

As far as getting IMCA cars to "just show up" and race, remember something, IMCA guys race for points whether it be national, regional, state or just track points.....and with IMCA, points =$$$$ at the end of the season.....Granted it may not be $1,000's of dollars, but depending on number of races run it will usually pay for next years license and a 12-pack of their favorite adult beverage....Not to mention other contingency promotions....

Jamie,

Jamie, most, if not all, short tracks get started out of a sincere love of the sport rather than any sound business decision based on clear-cut market research. It's apparent that the folks putting this track together have the passion for the sport at heart and seem to have a sincere desire to provide a track that folks can be proud of.

Let's give them a chance to get the ball rolling before we start casting stones, eh?

Nick

And that would be the problem...thinking with their hearts and not their minds. Sound finacial decisions can't be made "for the love of the sport" or what ever phrase you want to put there.

What do they have to work with Jamie? Every direction has different rules and classes. Every driver has his own agenda. I dont see 100 different people on here upset? I see a select few saying the are speaking for 100's which is a grossly exagerated number. Its not like the other tracks have up and disappeared taking away all options. At least they are not trying to run 10 classes every night. They are running classes they truely believe will be successful in car count verses purse from day 1. I am sure another class will be considered at some point. Its really not a big deal. I think the track that has made the most of their offseason is STS and nobody is saying anything about them. Bombers rules have been upgraded to help I37 Pure stocks, SOS pure stocks and STS bombers run together, Pure stocks have been upgraded to help them run with street stocks in the area and other cars able to go to STS, Starting a new restricted limited class which I believe is the start of a new evolution of open wheel cars just like when the original limiteds started. Mods fazing out in the area, recent limited rule changes making them better/faster, and now a new limited class allowing older limited cars a class to compete in. These are big time steps in the right direction to help both drivers and tracks in the area not just STS.

Looking at the geographical location would be a good start. Again, I don't have a dog in the fight as a racer but as a fan I know what I want to see and that in itself is a lot clearer of a thought process than most racers can make because of the $$$$ they have invested in their operation. If I don't want to go I'll save my $20 gas money, $20+ entry fee, $20+ beer/food money and my other $20 I may allot for a race weekend; that's my choice. Racers, IMCA or not, have to feed their addiction and will try to, assuming they have a winning mentality, to race anywhere they feel they have the best chance to walk away with a victory trophy. Way too much emotion invested to look out for the tracks best interest.

Jamie,

Nick

And that would be the problem...thinking with their hearts and not their minds. Sound finacial decisions can't be made "for the love of the sport" or what ever phrase you want to put there.

Do you know how many times I have had to turn down offers because my head was thinking and my heart wasn't? The hardest damn decisions I have ever had to make but the ones that will help me in the long run because I didn't waste my valuable time, effort, and equipment that wasn't going to show a return.

Assuming someone you dont know nor have met is making bad financial decisions doesnt make since to me nor is it really anyones business except their own. These guys talked about this track to me several times 4 years ago. They were already asking questions then and has been most likely dreaming how to design it, build it and make it work. Nobody around here has made it rich running a race track so I would have to say what blueprints are being used SUCKS so why the hell would you want to follow the norm... People we race in front of couple hundred people at the most, sometimes not even that much. I have won races and still took home less money then I showed up with. There isnt any experts in this business in this area no matter how much experience we all have. Hell sometimes I expect too much like everyone else but when was the last time a track has surprised you for the good? Not dogging any one track they obviously have their hands full just keeping the doors open at times but I dont understand why we would be attacking them when they have done nothing wrong! Now if they screw the pouch on this deal and waste not only their time but everyone elses then well I guess it would then be a free for all.

Look I'm not here to bash this place. Me having an upstart "business" though is making me look at what I am seeing and scratching my head.

Maybe Nick or Lonestarspeedzone.com should start and essay thread: What is racing to you? Obivously we all have our own interputations and I think the best essay should win season passes to the track of their choice...LOL

Again I want to stress this is not a bash on my part in anyway; I have everything to loose and nothing to gain by bashing anyone, any track, any class or any series.

It's not the drivers responsablity to show and hope to get to race. Put a class on the schedule, be consitant, and pay. In time they will start to show up. If there is nothing scheduled, then said track can not expect other cars to show up.

The Modifieds have all but died off in south and east Texas. They are still doing fine elsewhere.

As far as remembering where the Mods came from. Doesn't matter. It's called evolution. Remember where Crapcar started and look at the cars now.

I wish this track well. It's nice to have dirt track racing back in central Texas again. For me, it's a waiting game to see what unfolds.

For those that are close by and don't have a class to race in here, try helping out one of the schools in the Hope Program.

Wayne

This is exactly why racing is dying here...."its not my job"

If outlaw is to blame....why did I37 average about 8 cars in modifieds all year? (not picking on I37 they are a great track and doing a great job...just this is where I have been this last year)

The thought..pay the money...stay consistantand and they will show.....great theory....now...have you ever watched races before? I myself as a spectator would not attend a track to watch 6 classes with 6 cars each. The fans are what make or break a track...I know every racer thinks were gods gift to tracks...but it just isnt so.... you know what is? The entry level cars....front runners ecostocks...bombers.....whatever the local guys run...you know ....the guys who show up with 50 friends and family to watch....

I agree the modifieds have a better count up north.... and like its been said several times....organize and show up.....dont stand in the shadows and say I told you so... I always have felt....if your not part of the solution...then your part of the problem..... and racings biggest problem is....everyone feels its not their job to make it better.

Never has been nor will it ever be "my job" I don't race at tracks thay cars didn't fit thier rules. Tracks catering to a few drivers is one of many problems right now with short track racing in this area. To many people "show up" with a car that doesn't meet the rules of the track. The forms a class to fit them.

When I was a kid, the asphalt tracks worked togethor. One ran on Friday nights and another on Saturday nights. Many many drivers raced both.

If you believe in the notion of just show up and maybe we can make class for you, good luck. Tracks should make the rules. We as racers should follow them.

Your tires are legal.....the ss rule is 8" wheels...almost identical to every track that runs this class....the gear? I have a different gear for 4 different 1/4 mile tracks....so..no matter the size you would most likely need a different gear....

But you do bring up my point exactly...almost every racer complains if every aspect is not tailored to their personal needs....we are our own worst enemy.

I have given more than my 2 cents worth and will now keep my big mouth shut.... good luck no matter where you go....AJ

.........I believe houston streets run 10in inch rims

There are PLENTY of IMCA mods around the area that would run there. Nobody within an hour drive of here likes to race at Killeen, but what choice do we have? Its either that or go 2.5 hours down to I37. There are at least 30 mods that I know of between I37 and Killeen. And theres probably many more that I don't know of.... We are right in the middle of them and this track would most definately have a full field of them. The problem is that once the season starts and people have accumulated points at their respective track, they are probably not going to leave it. So by having a few nights where you run mods, you might not get more than 12-15 cars that night... So, start the season off with mods and plan a full schedule.. win win for everyone.

Archived