Why are you involved in racing?

abrungot

after being around the sport 45 yrs, i felt i could pass on some of the things i had learned thru the decades to the younger generation to help keep the sport going long after i'm gone.Thru my travels working in racing I noticed alot of younger folks wanted to race,just wasnt anybody willing to teach them the in and outs of the sport.Alot of my enjoyment working in racing has come from taking beginner racers on their first trip down a track,work with them,and watch them end up in the winners circle.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am serious when i say it was born in to me i have pics of me as a baby on the back of a dirt late model i pulled my first motor in the 8th grade my mom and dad kept me and my brother in anything on 4 wheels (asphalt go karts ) and we grew up that way they said they would always know where we were not at a bar , club, party we was in school in the shop or on the track

Justin Buzbee & Jody Buzbee

Buzbro Motorsports

Buzbee Racing Products

It started for me way back when I was a kid growing up near Charlotte, North Carolina. I would pass by Hickory Motor Speedway on the way to my grandmothers house and wished I could go in. I would listen to the NASCAR race on the radio with my Dad because it was not being televised yet. Racing in that area was all there was to do. I finally got my opportunity to race at Corpus Christi Speedway in the early 90's. I started in the street stock class and moved up to the Late Model Sportsman. I never had much success. I did win a few heat races and the highest I finished was 3rd in the feature. I was able to win the Late Model Sportsman Rookie Championship though. I raced against Dan Monroe, Greg Carlucci Jr. & Sr, John Witchie just to name a few. I never had the money or sponsors to run with the boys up front but I would not change the way I did it for anything in the world. It was the most fun, the most costliest and the biggest headache I have ever done. I just love the man and machine against another man and his machine. Door handle to door handle racing. Thank God for giving me the opportunity to do it. I no longer race. I'm just the biggest spectator there is now.

when i was a kid i would watch the racing tapes from videos by donna of my dads races at cc speedway from the 1987 1990 and a few TIDA tapes over and over. to me back then the drivers had a celebrity status and i knew i wanted to be like that. It's been in my blood since birth. I have to be around it if i'm not working on my stuff i have to help someone else with theirs. lol it keeps me sane

when i was a kid i would watch the racing tapes from videos by donna of my dads races at cc speedway from the 1987 1990 and a few TIDA tapes over and over. to me back then the drivers had a celebrity status and i knew i wanted to be like that. It's been in my blood since birth. I have to be around it if i'm not working on my stuff i have to help someone else with theirs. lol it keeps me sane

i never met a sane beddoe

My Dad raised me all by his lonesome... so our Friday nites were always racing as far back as we can remember. He tried it, we've been at it ever since. It keeps our family bonded, we race for fun because we love it.. it's in our blood.

We've quit a few times for a bit but always end up in the same place, it's been mentioned here it's like that drug or bas habit you cannot shake.. now I have a way to stay in the sport when I retire again... ;)

For me racing involvement started as a measurement for my skills. I am a coachcrafter by natural aptitude. I love to build things and get an immeasuarble sense of accomplishment when I see the final product. I have built and assisted in building far more street rods, hot rods and off road vehicles than race cars. Racing became a way to build and then comparatively measure my results in many aspects.

Then the bonds I made with other racers became the catalyst for involvement at a level beyond just fulfilling my competitive nature.

Maybe it also has to do with my philosophy on life:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "HOLY CRAP what a ride!" ~unknown~

A young racer named Ryan Bard came into our lives as my daughter's date, and who happened to race cars. In support of their relationship we started attending the races he was involved in, to cheer him on, help where we could. Learning this lifestyle, and watching the kids' relationship grow to the point of pending matrimoney, we were devastated when he died after the terrible wreck and fire at the Southern Challenge in Abilene. In the aftermath and grief that followed, I felt the desire to do "something" to keep this type of thing from happening to any other parents. With the Ryan Bard Safety Foundation, I have developed personal relationships with this HUGE racing family, and the whole process has become so deeply ingrained in me now, I really would have no idea what I would do other than work with this community. I'm not as much a racing fan as I am a "people" fan, racing is fine, but it's the PEOPLE I enjoy the most. It is very important to me to help elevate the need for safety in racing, plus actively promote racing as a family-friendly activity. I don't have much family around me, so friends have become an extended family, and I hurt when they do. I urge folks to look past the checkered flag, to another result: being able to load up and go home to their families who love them.

Race hard, race safe, someone loves you.

A young racer named Ryan Bard came into our lives as my daughter's date, and who happened to race cars. In support of their relationship we started attending the races he was involved in, to cheer him on, help where we could. Learning this lifestyle, and watching the kids' relationship grow to the point of pending matrimoney, we were devastated when he died after the terrible wreck and fire at the Southern Challenge in Abilene. In the aftermath and grief that followed, I felt the desire to do "something" to keep this type of thing from happening to any other parents. With the Ryan Bard Safety Foundation, I have developed personal relationships with this HUGE racing family, and the whole process has become so deeply ingrained in me now, I really would have no idea what I would do other than work with this community. I'm not as much a racing fan as I am a "people" fan, racing is fine, but it's the PEOPLE I enjoy the most. It is very important to me to help elevate the need for safety in racing, plus actively promote racing as a family-friendly activity. I don't have much family around me, so friends have become an extended family, and I hurt when they do. I urge folks to look past the checkered flag, to another result: being able to load up and go home to their families who love them.

Race hard, race safe, someone loves you.

Simply Awesome!

Maybe it also has to do with my philosophy on life:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "HOLY CRAP what a ride!" ~unknown~

i agree deb...

only two ways you can go,...living fast or dying slow.

i'm actually suprised nobody said WINNING,,duh.

Two weeks old when went to my first race and grew up around racing with my family at tracks around the Mid-west. Although my Dad passed away before even seeing me as a racecar driver, he obviously was a big influence for me. Recently found a site with some cool old photos from our hometrack when my Dad raced. This is where the passion and love of racing started for me...Teresa

http://www.capecentralhigh.com/cape-photos...tock-car-races/

Tommy says...Guess because I was so into taking apart and building engines since being a little kid, since about 6-7 yrs old. It just evolved into building cars, then drag racing, and then stock cars. I've always enjoyed the technical part of racing. I've done most of it myself and seems like driving became a part of it too. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago, but started racing in 1987.

I wasn't born into a racing family, I actually caught it from my best friend whose family was involved in racing. It was cool to watch on TV, and the video games were so fun I figured doing it for real had to be even better. I think I was about 12 when I told my parents I wanted to race, but never actually got to jump in the seat until I was 17 (not counting a couple test runs in a 1/4 midget and Minicup car). While most of my time has been spent in the pits or trying to stay out of peoples' way, the few times I did get to actually race with people was enough to ensure that the only way I'll ever stop (for good anyway) is if I'm on my deathbed.

Most people that know me, know me as being really quiet and reserved; as far as they know I don't have a competitive bone in my body. But once I step through the pit gates, I feel completely different like I'm at home. I feel like that's where I'm actually able to be myself. I just love it, if I could do it every day of the week I would. :D

#10 Because 60 hours a week at my main job isnt enough work for one man

#9 Because I like to see how fast I can blow all my money and have nothing to show

#8 Because spending $1000 with the potential of winning $500 is too sweet a deal to pass up

#7 Because anyday I should be getting that call from nascar.

#6 Because If Im a race car driver I'm automatically cool..( at least till you meet me)

#5 Because if I'm a race car driver I'm automatically hot..( see perenthesis above)

#4 Because I like grease on everything I own

#3 Because I like when all of my friends yell at me and threaten to kick my butt.

#2 Because I like buying the same tools and parts over and over again

and the #1 reason I race is Because "I WANNA GO FAST" or stupid ...your pick

LOL Love them all!

Archived