How Does Texas Get a seat at the table for Big (asphalt) Races

abrungot

I have been reading the Modified Post about Big Dog back in the Day... & Million $ Legends.. and was thinking wouldn't it be nice if the East and West all met in Texas for big races...

You have HMP & THR... where they could get 2 Races in 1 Weekend....

Like Dirt.. What if there were the Texas National's..... to Pull Fresh Blood from out of texas into Texas (maybe some big names)

Only issue would be.. what Classes to race.

Super Lates... No Series in Texas

Pro Lates..... Only in Houston (Many in other places)

TSRS (limited Late) Only THR.. Not sure about other places

Pro Mod's.... Both Tracks.. Many in other places.. Not sure how the Rules align..

Legacy's National Standards

Legends National Standards

All 3 Of these Classes seem to be Hybrid's Around the Country

Super Stocks

Pro Stocks

Thunder Stocks

Grand Stocks... Only THR

Mini Stocks (4 Cyl Only)

Eco Stocks (4 & 6 Cyl)

Pro Sedans... Not sure.

Dwarfs... Not sure

Sport Mods.. Not sure on Asphalt

HMP has Pro Lates

THR has TSRS

Pro Mod's At Both Tracks

Trucks At Both Tracks...

Production Conversations please Ladies and Gents... Not really looking to Bash anyone... Looking to Foster Change yes..

I've wondered that too. For all the resources the state has why can't someone line up a few sponsors and throw a big Snowball like race using similar rules.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure smarter people who know the business have tried to pull it off. I'm just surprised Texas doesn't have a race like that.

I've wondered that too. For all the resources the state has why can't someone line up a few sponsors and throw a big Snowball like race using similar rules.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure smarter people who know the business have tried to pull it off. I'm just surprised Texas doesn't have a race like that.

Texas is a "BALL" state. All the way from Little League and High School to Collage, Semi-pro and Pro ball. Never has been much of a Motor Sports state.

Definately have to race the Trucks....They are big all over the country and enough are still running rules close enough to ours to make it work....

I Ditto that...a 10,000 to win in the trucks would pull trucks from California to Florida, I think. If promoted right that is. It would be a good November race.

Until Texas gets an established series/sanction/etc. that has large enough field of cars on it's own, to be field fillers if you will....I'm afraid it just won't happen again like the Big Shot races tried to be....

That being said the one class that MIGHT(and I use that term loosely) be able to pull it off would be the Limited Modifieds on pavement.....But not at this time.....In many areas(outside of Texas) the Limited Mods are just coming into themselves car count-wise....on dirt.....and even fewer on pavement tracks so far.....

BUT....like the Big Dog race....It could be a mixture of pavement and dirt racers.....as long as Limited Mod rules stay static it doesn't really give an edge to any pavement only, purpose built cars....True the guys running pavement would be ahead of the curve(pun intended) on set-up, suspension and tire selection though there are plenty of smart cookies out there on dirt that would catch on quickly....

The next hurdle would be selling sponsorship for a typically non-feature class and bringing in a purse large enough to attract out-of-state teams, or as is the main draw for the Tx World Dirt Track Championships races at TMS Dirt Track....the prestige, exposure that a place like that can give drivers....

Probably not what you wanted to hear huh Aaron?

Problem with asphalt is too many sanctions with too many different rules. At least when TAMS started out there was a variety of tire and engine rule combinations. Asphalt needs to lose the my tire my rule only mentality. Plus the entry fees required for such a race often out weigh the value of the purse, and a lot of it is due to the size of the crowd that is required to hold such a race. For the football state guys, yes it is a football state, but there are dirt tracks in the state that it does not effect or bother especially when they get a bigger car count on a bad night then most of our asphalt tracks in this state get combined.

Just drive to Florida in December and attend the Snowball Derby

Well, you know, wonder why they don't have truck's for the derby. I would bet there would be a bunch that would show up for that.

Gunnar, im not sure the trucks in that area are using the same type of rules. I had heard that the last truck class to run 5 flags was basically a tube chassis latemodel with a truck body. But that is what i was told, not 100% sure. I know the "ARTS" type trucks still run from here all the way to the west coast but not sure what they do on the east coast. Shultz might know, hes been to the derby the last few years.

Ok.. Pulling Things that i am seeing as Key points:

- large enough field of cars with Simular Rules

- purse large enough to attract out-of-state teams

- the prestige, exposure that a place can give drivers

- Time of year to run the race

- Trucks don't run Snowball so this would certainly be a great target class to include.

Guest THRRD

If i was going to promote an event like this at either track, I would have super late models, or pro late models, trucks, and modifieds. When ROMCO leased the SAS track and put on our own races that's what we did and it was a great show. Whe we had the TSRS cars with us it was a great show.

If you wanted to run a two day show, one at each track, the problem I see with that his the distance they would have to travel. With Pensacola and Mobile, your anly talking 60 miles not 200. But I think a big weekend event at either track could be a bog success if promoted right

Terry

If i was going to promote an event like this at either track, I would have super late models, or pro late models, trucks, and modifieds. When ROMCO leased the SAS track and put on our own races that's what we did and it was a great show. Whe we had the TSRS cars with us it was a great show.

If you wanted to run a two day show, one at each track, the problem I see with that his the distance they would have to travel. With Pensacola and Mobile, your anly talking 60 miles not 200. But I think a big weekend event at either track could be a bog success if promoted right

Terry

Not a bad idea... Might be time to talk to Ms Reeh?

super lates be cool for that reason, none around here. i was actually talking to someone a couple of weeks about that topic.

a cool event like that would be good in the later part of the year. something different that we don't see alot.

like when the midgets were here, that be a cool ass twin-bill.

Nothing against the trucks.....but here's an outsiders observation....

What's the count at THR or HMP for Pro Trucks....Avg. 12-16...correct?

What's the USST count like....from the results I've read around 12....correct?

These would be the primary places to draw from....

Now....how many Pro Trucks run Witchita Falls(or other tracks) with the USST?.....0

How many USST guys come here to race THR or HMP?.....0

At least according to what I'm reading......So what's the issue? Rules? Time? Travel/expenses?.....What would make that any different for a big show?

When Terry threw money at the Super Late Models to try to keep them from going extinct....what happened....Still no one showed up....ergo no more SLM's in Texas(except traveling guys)....When Owen had his big Late Model show when he ran CC Speedway...what happened....no one showed up and all we heard was excuses NOT to race.....Even the Big Shot races didn't turn out that well(from a financial or attendence stand point) or we'd still be running them....personally I think scheduling the weekends of UT home football games wasn't a very good idea...but it wasn't my money either

Point being throwing money at something doesn't always make it work.....kinda like the government(but I won't get started there....lol)

On another subject....the Snowball Derby.....That's a long established race and they could probably add a FWD class to the weekends event and draw cars...Why?....They know what they're going to get rules/tech-wise, thousands of race teams, sponsors, fans flock there(exposure).....and it's the Snowball Derby(prestige)....just like the All American 400 at Winchester, or the Knoxville Nationals/Kings Royal for sprint cars...

As a race fan I'd love to see a resurgence of pavement racing with big shows and big names in Texas....But I also look at things realistically too....I don't see a lot of sponsors jumping on board(especialy in these tough times) nor do I see enough participation for the back gate to support any show of that magnitude with the purse needed to draw teams from other states...JMHO....and you get what you pay for....unless it has to do with government.....LMAO

Don't forget for a second that there are still trucks in California that run under old ARTS rules. They have a few changes but they would still be close. Also, trucks in Florida would be close. Give that the race would be here in Texas they would have to be close to posted rules. Add weight for penalty...

Also, those wanting to run in Florida. The Charity 200 is an awesome race...

Mark

:(

Texas is a "BALL" state. All the way from Little League and High School to Collage, Semi-pro and Pro ball. Never has been much of a Motor Sports state.

You would think the fact that it requires TWO of them to get ON the track would count for SOMETHING!!! LOL! :o:lol:

The biggest problem has been we are to far east and too far west and to far south of DFW area and with the cost of gas these days it would out weigh the benefits fo most teams unless they have deap pockets.

This isn't for the sake of arguing with you, but I'm trying to figure out what you mean? Mark C. Brandon B. The Alexander's, Tuffy H, I believe Keith Garrett and several others have gone to the blizzard and etc... If teams from Texas have hauled out east why if the race and prize money was right would people from out east not come west? If any of the trucks are interested I can get you the contact info for the Charity Race in Florida. I have posted a video before on here of the start of the race three years ago. There are a bunch of trucks that run that race... I am sure we could get some interest from the trucks to travel west.

Also, I know The Garretts, Colt James and Bruce went out west back in the ARTS days. Again if the monies was right why would people not come. Also, James Cole runs the Lucas Oil/Rockstar Modified series out West. Anthony Gordon has been out West as well...

Again, I'm not shooting you down, but trying to figure out why people say it wont work... With the right promotions and advanced notice people would come. Heck. we at CCM might put in some monies for something like furthest traveled. Or just add to prize money for Trucks...

Mark, as I stated earlier throwing money at a race doesn't guarantee its success......Risk/reward

Most of our guys travel to established races or series....Just take a look at the history of the TMS Dirt Track Championship races.....Now I'm on the wrong computer to check for accurate data but....The first race had around 60 Mods.....second year 120, third year over 200....now its back to averaging around 120 and that's from a MUCH LARGER pool of potential cars to draw from

Archived