How Does Texas Get a seat at the table for Big (asphalt) Races

abrungot

Reb,

I understand they are established races and/or series. I also know from our dirt guys that The Torres', Greg/Candice and others have traveled to big dirt races. Again, looking to be part of a solution here. If THR or HMP were to talk of doing an end of the year blowout or even a summer jam type race, I would personally make calls to people I know on both coasts. Your are right in saying there are no guarantees. But if it is never tried one will never know.

As far as numbers, again you are right. Numbers are down in just about every form of racing. My buddies daughter races BMX and those numbers are down as well. Economy is killing a lot of away from home endevours.

Mark

Well if I were a promoter(LMFAO---not in a million years) here's what I would do if I were to plan such a show and attract drivers from other areas of the US

Find/get on as many message boards as possible for those regions(ie;whowon-Upper Midwest, bigwestacing-Mountain, midsouthracing-Southeast and others ) just to see if there's any INTEREST to begin with....then probe into what it would take purse-wise, rules-wise to get drivers from these regions to make the long tows......

Now if you know people from the East and "left" coast certainly that's a step in that direction

As far as scheduling.....it would almost have to be early or late season.....Mid season many guys are caught up in point racing(remember the TSRS guys and Owens big race at CCS?)......Then you have to look at possible dates that don't compete with already established big shows....that really narrows the possibilities.....Plus add in our wacky South Texas weather for spring/fall...sometimes too rainy, sometimes cold.....other times just perfect...but who can know that far out

How many of our promoters have the capital to risk on creating a show, promoting/marketing it only to have Mother Nature squash it like a bug on a windshield....

Archived