Probation For Edwards

lenny66

Did any of you watch INside NASCAR last night on Showtime. In so many words here was thier response. Not direct quotes since I dont have a photographic memory. If I find the video clip, I'll post it.

Michael Waltrip.

Asked if retaliation happens very often. " Happens all the time. I'm glad he did it, and he was man enough to tell us he did "

Brad Daugherty

" Happy to see it happen " Likes the racing going to the drivers again and would hate to see it go back to the way it was.

Chris Myers

" Carl is my new hero " He loved that Carl took Brad out. And spoke of how drivers like Brad deserve it and have it coming.

Randy Pemberton

He seemed to be kind of on the fence. Glad for drivers to police themselves, but insure on how he felt about Carl and Brads incident.

This is racing guys and gals. This mentality will never go away on the tracks across the country. If you dont like it, dont watch it. If your scared to get or see someone killed or injured dont go to any races. Because it can and does happen all the time. A fan was killed just a week ago at a NHRA NAtional event by a tire coming into the stands and hitting her. Not a wrecking incident but just proves anything can happen. So sit at home and watch it on TV.. Or turn the channel.

The NHRA situation was an accident and relates to what you are saying about taking a risk when attending a race. What Carl did and the potential results was deliberate. A line was crossed, there's a big difference between the two incidents.

As for the commentators on a NASCAR owned show, company men pure and simple. If they think putting someone in that situation is OK then they've lost another viewer.

I was offered a ticket to the NASCAR TMS races on the 2nd row. Now, I will not be attending because of this type of racing. I am not big enough to catch a 3400lb stock car and live to tell about it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wacoracer, Well said. Company folks for sure, don't wanna bite the hand that feeds 'em. I am dissapointed at NA$CARS punishment on Edwards. If I were Penske, I'd definately let France, Helton and the rest know that this is far from over and when Keselowski dumps Edwards at Martinsville or Bristol. I expect no more than a 3 race probation sentence for my driver. The standard has been set as far as punishment goes. Lenny66 B)

I did not watch the show that was mentioned. Since you watched the show, did any of those folks you mentioned make any reference to how fans could have been hurt? Or was it more of “I’m glad he did it”, “Happy to see it happen” and “how drivers like Brad deserve it and have it coming”

I agree that this mentality will never go away. This sport is full of those that have one and only one agenda, themselves. The proof is in the comments being posted everywhere.

You are correct in saying the NHRA death was not a wrecking incident; it was in fact an unfortunate accident. I will also agree that accidents can and will happen, the NHRA accident just proves that anything can happen.

The comments “If you dont like it, dont watch it. If your scared to get or see someone killed or injured dont go to any races” and “So sit at home and watch it on TV.. Or turn the channel” are very profound if you are referring to an accident, even more so if not. An accident is not predictable and/or premeditated.

Thank you for helping get the point across.

Did any of you watch INside NASCAR last night on Showtime. In so many words here was thier response. Not direct quotes since I dont have a photographic memory. If I find the video clip, I'll post it.

Michael Waltrip.

Asked if retaliation happens very often. " Happens all the time. I'm glad he did it, and he was man enough to tell us he did "

Brad Daugherty

" Happy to see it happen " Likes the racing going to the drivers again and would hate to see it go back to the way it was.

Chris Myers

" Carl is my new hero " He loved that Carl took Brad out. And spoke of how drivers like Brad deserve it and have it coming.

Randy Pemberton

He seemed to be kind of on the fence. Glad for drivers to police themselves, but insure on how he felt about Carl and Brads incident.

This is racing guys and gals. This mentality will never go away on the tracks across the country. If you dont like it, dont watch it. If your scared to get or see someone killed or injured dont go to any races. Because it can and does happen all the time. A fan was killed just a week ago at a NHRA NAtional event by a tire coming into the stands and hitting her. Not a wrecking incident but just proves anything can happen. So sit at home and watch it on TV.. Or turn the channel.

And that attitude right there my friend is whats wrong with the world today.

direct-flo i dont think you could have said any of your post any clearier or more precise. there are some out there that will still argue the fact ( he had it coming) or thats what he deserved , and not jus this incident but most , i for 1 will not , i really dont how to put it except it jus sounds stupid and careless but hey to each his own :blink::huh:

As fans and participants we look to the promoter to make sure there are rules and procedures in place to mitigate our risks. I would find it very difficult to be at any track that allows this responsibility fall to the wayside. Unfortunately with NASCAR the promoter is often bound by THEIR rules - when that happens personal responsibility gets shifted and it's as if no one is accountable. THis is one of the things that Bruton Smith has griped about for years. He is a stand up guy and would ban someone from his track(s) in a second - but alas in bringing the event NASCAR has final say however weak, random, inconsistant or even just plain wrong that is.

I believe they did mention that it was a lucky situation that someone didnt get hurt. But most of the few minutes spent on the subject was more about Carl and Brad.

And to make my position clear. I dont feel he should have gone to the pits, went down all those laps and still come out and did this. I do feel that as a driver, in the heat of the moment, that if he had stayed on the track and done the same thing, then thats racing and the emotions that go with it. I am glad no one was injured as well. But fans need to realize and assume some responsiblity for the dangers of attending any motorsports events.

Nope. You absolutely have to assume that ANYTHING can happen. The fans are not in direct control of anything that happens around them. They do not have control of what the drivers, cars ect. are going to do. They must assume that the worst thing happening is possible no matter what causes it.

You are saying that a fan is responsible for assuming that every driver is a rogue driver, and that at any moment he/she will send a car into the fence?

I agree that as a fan you should be aware of what’s going on around you. To expect a fan to second-guess the actions of a few crappy drivers is a bit much don’t you think?

Nope. You absolutely have to assume that ANYTHING can happen. The fans are not in direct control of anything that happens around them. They do not have control of what the drivers, cars ect. are going to do. They must assume that the worst thing happening is possible no matter what causes it.

I tend to disagree with that. I would be upset if I bought a ticket to a football game and they played rugby instead.

If I want to attend a demolition derby I sure would NOT pay NASCAR event prices.

As far as assuming responsibilty for being in a hazardous area - I agree it IS the attendee's responsibility. But hazards can be mitigated through regulation and I expect as a fan or participant that the sanctioning body will do THEIR part to do so.

They do not have control of what the drivers, cars ect. are going to do.

I am saying anything is possible. NOT that every driver is a bad driver.
I miss understood you, I saw the words driver(s) and car(s).

Are you saying that a fan would be responsible if he/she did not see a car come flying into the stands? What am I supposed to think when you write something like this

you are taking a risk and you must know that you are at risk at all times.

When you go to a NASCAR race are you not going to feel secure? Whats with the catch fence, concrete wall and security keeping you away from the wall. One would think you would have a better chance of getting a beer can in the back of the head instead of a race car in your face.

This thread was talking about the punishment given a driver for purposely taking another car out. A car that caught air and very well could have destroyed a catch fence. Now it seems that you have turned it into a discussion about the responsibility of race fans. You won't find a lemon in an orange grove.

Johnny It seems once again we're on the wrong side of the fence.....Everyone else is right and we're wrong....but at least we have two other co-conspirators this time :lol:

Waco Racer....second row seats suck anyway....you can't see squat, really....and even without catching a 3400# racecar you go home with bits of grease, rubber, etc. embedded in your face.

After the big IndyCar crash a few years back TMS redid their catch fence system.....I feel safe being right next to the track coming out of the tunnel crossover from the pits to the stands.....You're right there in turn 1 at the fence....quite a rush watching those cars blast into the corner....especially the IndyCars.

No they arent responsible. They just accept the fact that it could happen. And only that fan is responsible for thier own actions that took them to the track and accept that risk.

Also this got into this discussion due to the fact that many of people here talked about the fans getting hurt.

And your right Reb. But I dont mind that there are so few of us brave enough to say what we think and not say things to just be part of the popular majority. :)

The "wing" has been questioned many times. Throughout the end of last year cars were taking flight and it continued this year. It was serious enough that, even before the Atlanta race, NASCAR has plans to get rid of the wing. I believe the drivers have already been preached to time and time again about the cars becoming airborne when spinning backwards on a high speed race track. With that, I find it difficult to believe that Carl Edwards didn't expect the 12 car to flip. Remember, in a couple races the wing would have been gone for good and he would have lost his chance to gain his measure of revenge.

JMHO

Mel

;)

No they arent responsible. They just accept the fact that it could happen. And only that fan is responsible for thier own actions that took them to the track and accept that risk.

Do you honestly think NASCAR would have paid out hundreds of thousands to injured fans over the years if they didn't think they were liable for damages?

I am not saying NASCAR isnt or shouldnt be liable. I am saying the fans should know what the hell they are getting into at any race track. Crap people. Stop reading what you want to see into everything.

I am quiting on this subject of fans getting hurt. A lot of you are not getting the point or you just expect someone else to be responsible for you and tell you what you can and cant do.

Waco Racer....second row seats suck anyway....you can't see squat, really....and even without catching a 3400# racecar you go home with bits of grease, rubber, etc. embedded in your face.

After the big IndyCar crash a few years back TMS redid their catch fence system.....I feel safe being right next to the track coming out of the tunnel crossover from the pits to the stands.....You're right there in turn 1 at the fence....quite a rush watching those cars blast into the corner....especially the IndyCars.

Kinda what I figured. I really considered it for the Legends races, but, their schedule says that they aren't racing on the 1/4 anyway.

I am not saying NASCAR isnt or shouldnt be liable. I am saying the fans should know what the hell they are getting into at any race track. Crap people. Stop reading what you want to see into everything.

I am quiting on this subject of fans getting hurt. A lot of you are not getting the point or you just expect someone else to be responsible for you and tell you what you can and cant do.

i get your point .i have read all of these ..the passion in everyones post is outstanding......this all comes down to an individual way of thinking .....everyone has a breaking point ..and do things they would never think of doing ..i dont care who you are .and it dosent mean you have to be a racer ..now can anyone out there tell me they have never lost it and never done something they would have never thought they would do .....i dont think so . some of you have thought .man if i can just get back on the track .ill hit that sob something out of your ordinary ........carl did something he probably recrets and probably right after he wrecked brad ....now he will have to pay in so many ways ......i understand why he did it .wrong place to do it . is there a right place ....i have done it ..does that make me a bad driver and should never race again ..the differents is i never did it again ... but would i do it again ..cant say till it happens ...... stupid gets into all of us at sometime or another ...

Archived