Thunderhill Raceway hopes to move ahead with 2010 racing season

debwill

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a TSRS driver and car owner I would be willing to race the entire season without a purse if the rules were setup to lower the cost of the weekend, a lot of ideas have been floated around in other post. This will save money for everyone and allow for more low budget teams like mine to race every race while at the same time making the racing more competitive and better for the fans. If at the end of the year the track does better and there is left over money then maybe the champions from each class split it, basically profit sharing between the track and the drivers that help put fans in the seats.

Jeff O'Neill

#28 TSRS Late Model

Question:

Would racers for a one (1) race deal... forgo a purse, and pay the same entry/pit pass fee's for a 1 race deal Fund Rasier?

Call it Thunderhill Raceway "Grand Re-Opening"...... my math says it could net the track with 18 cars per class $8,000 to $10,000 in relief..

Calculations based off a race that had TSRS Latemodels, Supers, Thunders, Grands, & Mini's.. any other classes are welcome to join..

Set the race Date in Feb...

Kind of like a Pre Season Football game... Doesn't matter for the championship... its only warm up..

Absolutely!

i race for a $10 trophy.

do it two nights in a framed time table.......there's the money to atleast cover the insurance.

one problem how much does she need to cover what the other company covered and maybe then some ........

A lot and then some.... It's going to take a someone with a true love of racing - the kind of love that Mary Ann has poured into this deal since day one - to help make this deal work. Mary Ann has already stated in another post that the THR lease is about $139k a year. I imagine that the auction company didn't pay that much for their sub-lease.. So.. I'm going to guess that the shortfall is over $100k at a minimum.

I don't think Mary Ann would mind re-naming the track to Holt Machinery Motorsports Park... or H.E.B. Speedway... or .. Dairy Queen Raceway.

If anyone has major connections with a major business, now's the time to come forward and share your contact info with Mary Ann or Debbie...

Nick

maybe in advertising it, point mostly to businesses that would benefit from the track... concentrating on the fact that it's available for sub-lease? and, possibly invite business owners/managers/etc. out for a day of fun, racing and a little look-see at the grounds and track...build it up more for their interest than running it as a "benefit"..... ???

As a TSRS driver and car owner I would be willing to race the entire season without a purse if the rules were setup to lower the cost of the weekend, ..........

Jeff O'Neill

#28 TSRS Late Model

When Graham first bought HMP there was no purse. Each class was responsible for it's own purse. Usually one of the drivers with a business would put up some money for 1 or more races. Even to this day, each class has a title sponsor (Fiesta, Cricket etc.). If a class did not have a sponsor, they raced for a trophy only.

Institute my suggestions 1 - 4 and 6 &7 in the Silly Season #1 thread and don't pay a purse. Charge pit passes only and no entry fee.

I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a try.

I too....agree with planning benefits ect... but it appears there needs to be a solid Sponsor or an Indivdual or Company that will commit to Sublease soon.

Question ...is there an option for year to year lease...or just 3 year option only?

Also would like to see this story about our search for help to keep the track open for 2010 and beyond ...get passed to the media outlets here locally, and

possibly to outlets out of State. In a "WISH" mode here but...We have NASCAR races coming up here in FT WORTH......if there was to be a story about it ..or

we could somehow raise awareness.....just know there will be People and Companies there.....with means to help. There are current Nascar drivers that co-own

or help out smaller tracks.

I mean THR has hosted the Texas Racefests.....have the distinction of being home to Last Years ASA Gibbs member Track National Champion...and came

so close to being home to 2009 National Campion. We have a great track , great competitors and outstanding Owner and staff members.

We have been putting on some of the best racing action around for years..... Just appears we are going to have to think outside the box...and get the word out

about Thunderhill now!! stay organized and focused on keeping Asphalt racing alive in Central Texas .

Well I was gonna run hmp in 2010 but I'm tired of seeing tracks close around here and I'm willing to help. I'd be willing to give a free sponsorship on my late model, to include a few free appearances at car shows business or what ever, To any business that subleased the vacating spot. And with no entry fee i'd race for no purse. Its a win win for me. I wouldnt need to buy a crate engine and I could race closer to home. Perhaps thr could make a list of cars willing to donate car space for sponsers and they could auction off or sell that sponsorship and let the business pick the cars they want i order of most money bid.Tax time is coming up help them with a deduction.just another idea. I also want a spring and fall day race.

Nick, the auction company paid a big chunk of the lease (that's all I will say). 139K & 20 ins. is a lot ....bottom line we are going to need a sponsor(sponsors) or sub-leaser with deep pockets. I will do what I can. I know others will. I've been racing for 20 years and am not ready to hang it up. The Fire Hall Benefit raised a lot of money and I know Clarence would be glad to help THR out. I like a lot of the ideas people have posted. I am not sure when the lease has to be signed but I know there will need to be a large sum of money to go with the signing. Mary Ann has had her back against the wall before and was able to save the day. This time she will need help but I am confident that that things will work out.

Something else to consider in all of this, is WHEN the lease is signed and we get ready for our 2010 season is this. The auto auction was responsible for alot of the day to day maintenance & clean up of the garage and pit areas, if I'm not mistaken. Odds are, that may not be something that happens with the new tennant. With the first priority being getting someone in there to offset the cost, running them off with issues like haveing to mow, weedeat, etc. could be costly. I know alot of you out there realize that MaryAnn & H put in alot of time & effort into maintaining the track; Just not sure you realize HOW much time that is. MaryAnn is a first class lady who will bend over backwards to keep the track running; always will. H works his tail of too, but, he is a racer as well. This past season, we attempted to run his car only 5 times; only getting 1 race in. Understand, the other 4 attempts we had mechanical failures. My point is, H put racing his own mod on the backburner to keep things up at the track. Lots of long hours, mowing, cleaning, etc. Trust me I know; I've been out there several times with him. As a racing family, we need to come together to not just save the track for next season & beyond, but to take some of the burden off of the 2 people who spend most of their time out there making that place LOOK like a track. We need to keep in touch with them to find out when they're gonna be out there to clean, mow, trim, etc. Take some time off from working on our cars maybe once a week & pitch in out there. There are quite a few things that need to be done as far as minor repairs; get out there & help. I do. Remember folks, this is our "HOME" track! Lets not try to pass this burden on to a new tennant. We want the new tennant to be there for a long while so we can keep racing! Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on. Just what's on my mind.

HB Zachry was sponsoring David Starr in the trucks. They might be worth asking for some sponsorship. Anyone got an in at Zachry??? Lenny66 B)

Actually, I do know someone with Zachry. He's been there for many years too. I'll talk to him this weekend, and give him this info. I don't think he has much, if any pull for this kind of thing, but it can't hurt to ask. Mary Ann & H are terrific people. God knows we don't need to loose another track! If I get any info I will forward it to Mary Ann first however. Ron

How about EVERYONE that walked through the pit gate last year pony up a 100.00+(grown ups of course,and those who can). I would do it in a heartbeat. Then do a free pre season race or two.

Also, if it would help, how about having the driver's meeting asap to pay for pit spot's and registration for next season.

It's early, and I haven't has enough coffee, just rambling. I just don't want that track to go away. Like loosing a family member!

At this point, San Antonio may make more economic sense to Mary Ann. I would certainly use it as a bargaining tool to see if she can get a more palatable lease with THR current owners. The amount of volunteer help would be incredibel to get SAS back up to par. I am sure at this point, the SAS owners would take way less for a lease than THR. The Owners of San Antonio Speedway may be inclined to lease it for 3 to 5 years so that the real estate markets matures a little in that area and then they could probably get their asking price for it, but could generate income now. That would make Toyota a natural for naming rights to the speedway. They are expanding now.

Does anyone have a contact for Jesse James? At one time there was talk about him reopening the old speed arama. Well I dont think there is anyway the city of austin would let that happen, Maybe he would be interested in teaming up with Mary Ann at THR?

Does anyone have a contact for Jesse James? At one time there was talk about him reopening the old speed arama. Well I dont think there is anyway the city of austin would let that happen, Maybe he would be interested in teaming up with Mary Ann at THR?

as strange as it sounds,,,,,,i think he would dig that . and it could be a possibility.

Maybe Donald Teague could step in and help......I mean since he isn't building all the tracks he promised and has all the money he collected on contracts? <_< How about James and Shelma....they still around and assuming they still have unpaid purse and sponsor's money?

Is that FAR ENOUGH "out of the box?"

If Mary Ann and H are leasing, who's the actual owner? Brian?

139K lease, is about 11K/month(plus extras).....Does that sound right? I don't see how the place is staying open as is, if that's correct.

Seems to be more and more tracks in just as much financial trouble as many racers are.(thank you Obamanomics)......HRP is going to 8 race special event schedule only at the dirt track.....and there's lots of rumors about another popular track not even running in 2010. Disturbing trend!!!!

Maybe Donald Teague could step in and help......I mean since he isn't building all the tracks he promised and has all the money he collected on contracts? <_< How about James and Shelma....they still around and assuming they still have unpaid purse and sponsor's money?

Is that FAR ENOUGH "out of the box?"

If Mary Ann and H are leasing, who's the actual owner? Brian?

139K lease, is about 11K/month(plus extras).....Does that sound right? I don't see how the place is staying open as is, if that's correct.

Seems to be more and more tracks in just as much financial trouble as many racers are.(thank you Obamanomics)......HRP is going to 8 race special event schedule only at the dirt track.....and there's lots of rumors about another popular track not even running in 2010. Disturbing trend!!!!

I believe the property owner is the same as Yarrington Materials next door. The lease was split (maybe not 50/50) between the auto auction company and THR for the past 2 or 3 years, so I'm sure that helped a bunch.

Archived