Thunderhill Raceway hopes to move ahead with 2010 racing season

debwill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, 210-685-0400 (cell), debbie@thunderhillraceway.com

Thunderhill Raceway Media & Public Relations Director

Thunderhill Raceway hopes to move ahead with 2010 racing season

KYLE, TX (October 21, 2009) – Unstable economic conditions have affected businesses all over the country, and stock car racing has also felt the crunch of these tough times.

Although Thunderhill Raceway (Kyle, TX) has just finished up its 2009 season with a huge Texas Stock Car Spectacular and a fan-favorite Crash Fest, racers and fans are already asking about its plans for next year’s racing season.

Owned by MAN Racing Promotions LLC, Thunderhill Raceway currently holds a three-year option on a lease for the track property, which is up for renewal in November. America’s Auto Auction, a business that currently holds a sub-lease on the track property, has decided not to renew its lease.

“Following weeks of negotiation, I’ve been informed that America’s Auto Auction will no longer be a subtenant at the track,” said Mary Ann Naumann, THR’s Owner and Promoter. “They’re moving to a property that’s located directly on the IH-35 access road that’s more visible to the public and has a lot more paved areas. Unfortunately, we’re not only losing a tenant, but we’re also losing a race sponsor.”

After getting confirmation about the loss of the track subtenant, Naumann shared her honest thoughts and concerns about the future of the track.

“As you might expect, the loss of income from America’s Auto Auction will have a major impact on my bottom line,” commented Naumann. “I don’t want to throw in the towel on the future of Thunderhill Raceway with this latest news, but the reality is that the future of Thunderhill Raceway is in jeopardy unless we can find a major sponsor or locate another subtenant soon.”

Naumann stated, “I’m hoping that getting the word out early will help the folks in the racing community understand that I need their help in pulling off the 2010 racing season. In my heart, I know that I want to keep racing alive and well at Thunderhill Raceway. To make it happen, I’m not looking for cash or a handout, but rather I’m asking for help in finding a new subtenant by simply getting everyone to pass the word.”

Thunderhill Raceway is a 3/8-mile, D-shaped asphalt oval track that’s located at 24801 IH-35, on the access road just north of San Marcos (TX) near Yarrington Road (Exit #210). Information on Thunderhill Raceway may be found on the track website at www.thunderhillraceway.com. For more information about subleasing the track, contact Mary Ann Naumann at 512-844-3582.

- 30 -

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man thats hard ....hope for someone to step up and move in .. drivers with out a track will be a killer .we all know how hard you and staff work at keeping this track open ..we love thunderhill and would miss it dearly ...ill keep my fingers crossed ..

Well word is travling fast about this news I realy hope someone will step up as a sponcer or sub it realy is going to suck if the treak is closed. What in the world would all of the RED El Camino fans do on Saturday night there will probebly be riots and maham everywhere in Central Texas. Good luck Mary Ann I know how hard you H and all of the staff work to not only keep the track running but keeping it looking good also.:angry::(:blink:

Question:

Would racers for a one (1) race deal... forgo a purse, and pay the same entry/pit pass fee's for a 1 race deal Fund Rasier?

Call it Thunderhill Raceway "Grand Re-Opening"...... my math says it could net the track with 18 cars per class $8,000 to $10,000 in relief..

Calculations based off a race that had TSRS Latemodels, Supers, Thunders, Grands, & Mini's.. any other classes are welcome to join..

Set the race Date in Feb...

Kind of like a Pre Season Football game... Doesn't matter for the championship... its only warm up..

I would be in on that deal. One thing to keep in mind is that almost 90% of us race because we love it, not for the money. I would gladly give up any and all purses for a race like that to keep her open. Lets face it. If there isnt a track at THR most of us wont be racing unless we go to dirt. Its to far to travel all the way to houston or corpus. We all need to pull together on this and make it happen. I know there are some poeple that race for the purses as you can see from some of the posts that have been on here lately but without a place to race there wont be any in the furture. Further if you have to travel 3 hours to race your winnings will be gone from travel expenses alone more than likely. Just a thought.

Question:

Would racers for a one (1) race deal... forgo a purse, and pay the same entry/pit pass fee's for a 1 race deal Fund Rasier?

Call it Thunderhill Raceway "Grand Re-Opening"...... my math says it could net the track with 18 cars per class $8,000 to $10,000 in relief..

Calculations based off a race that had TSRS Latemodels, Supers, Thunders, Grands, & Mini's.. any other classes are welcome to join..

Set the race Date in Feb...

Kind of like a Pre Season Football game... Doesn't matter for the championship... its only warm up..

Absolutely!

cool thing to do may be to have a benefit concert or something that day, may bring out more folks..

There is that nice Asphalt infront of the garage that we got from Sponsorship the last 2 year...

I think America's auto auction helped out with that if i remember right... Might be fun to wear some rubber out on my boots & tires in a day..

There are a ton of ideas that would work, someone mentioned concerts. Austin is the Live Music Capitol of the World. Well guess what THR is a perfect place to hold Outdoor concerts for not only big acts but local talent as well. You have the concessions and the beer that concept works. We could also do track memberships to help raise money. Or how about a flee market once a month. There are 38 acres that can be used for a ton of stuff to help out Mary Ann

I'm seeing some great ideas, and I love the positive energy towards a solution . . . together. Now if we can just take the ideas to the next level and git 'er done!

Here is a few of the steps i can think about in this 12 step program!!

Step 1: MA tell's property owner... "Where do i sign for 2010"

Step 2: Lets schedule meetings to organize man power & Project Plan (Pot Luck Dinner sounds kinda good right now)

Step 3: Nick Holt Needs to turn his Class back on and go empty out the mailbox of refunds

Step 4: Meeting to discuss Cost saving ideas from Drivers/Track

Step 5: Debbie, Call the media sounds like there is a uprising in Kyle.. Might need reinforcements

Step 6: Put out a 2010 Schedule

Step 7: Put out Rules & Adjustments for 2010

Step 8: Banquet

Step 9: Grand RE-Opening

Step 10: Opening Prayer

Step 11: National An.......

Step 12: Lets RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step 3: Nick Holt Needs to turn his Class back on and go empty out the mailbox of refunds

I tie up the THR garage area for five nights - sometimes six! No way do I want to be part of the reason why someone might not sub-lease the THR facility. When the sub-lease has been signed, sealed and delivered we'll talk about putting on a seminar.

Keep things positive? For sure, for sure. But we also need to realize that it's crunch time at THR and we ALL need to get behind Mary Ann and her staff 110% or, well, I'd rather not go there...

If you know of a business that needs the sort of facilities that THR has to offer, please have them get in touch with Mary Ann to talk about a sub-lease.

Or if you've been working on that $100k sponsor for your car, you might think about turning that deal over to the track.

Benefit events are great because they generate so much interest and bring a very real problem to the attention of some who might not otherwise be aware. As good a show as THR puts on, some wealthy fan might sitting in the bleachers unaware of the very real need that exists.

Nick

Archived