Just announced on NASCAR.COM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speedracer 24 im not surprised at the news. these guys are stars with alot of money and a TON of PRESSURE they are human just like the crackhead on your local corner. its a damn shame it has to come down to a drug to lose a dream ......

was reading an article awhile ago and mayfield was trying to say it was a mixture of over the counter and prescribed,so who knows.either way,play with fire,you're going to get burned sooner or later.just like the x-cop on tv the other day,he was taking 60-70 pain pills a day,up to 2000 a month.were they illegal?no.but he was addicted to them.a pill junkie,an abuser.it cost him his job also.so it doesnt have to be weed,blow,or the big h badsonic.

Ya I know what it could be. I just wish NASCAR would publish the list of banned substances and anounce which substances the personal are being busted for, just like all the other professional sports. Just like I think the "actions detrimental to NASCAR racing" needs to be more specific. That could be anything from retaliation on the track to a driver bad mouthing NASCAR to the media. I think the public has the right to know how bad a driver/crew member actually screwed up. Like in baseball steroids is obviously worse than some of the other things they get busted for. And baseball puts it all out there for all the world to see.

Ya I know what it could be. I just wish NASCAR would publish the list of banned substances and anounce which substances the personal are being busted for, just like all the other professional sports. Just like I think the "actions detrimental to NASCAR racing" needs to be more specific. That could be anything from retaliation on the track to a driver bad mouthing NASCAR to the media. I think the public has the right to know how bad a driver/crew member actually screwed up. Like in baseball steroids is obviously worse than some of the other things they get busted for. And baseball puts it all out there for all the world to see.

According to something I read a couple of years ago, that "actions detrimental to stock car racing" thing is intentionally vague. If NASCAR wants to penalize someone for something, even if they didn't really do anything wrong, they can use that "rule". If Tony Stewart blinks his left eye before his right eye, and NASCAR thinks it should be the other way around, they can use that "actions detrimental, etc" and penalize him for it.

What good would that do?

I know he's been struggling with his team, unfortunatly he can relax now. If he does indeed have problem, I hope he gets it taken care of so he doesn't end up like so many athletes this happens to, long gone, he did indeed have a good run for a few years, hope it all takes care of itself.

Your right Rodney, hes got nothing to worry about. Except how to pay back what he now owes in his contract to the team. Since he was not fired by the team, and cannot compete by his own doing, hes liable to pay a penalty. Hope he can sell some of that crack back. :lol:

i know things like this are going to happen in every sport, but it's even more heart-breaking when it happens in stock-car racing...the greatest sport on the planet, and people like mayfield and his crew take away from us when they do this stuff...i'm just glad that mayfield didn't get anyone hurt on the track...that's the scary part-thinking of him going 200 mph in that condition with 42 other cars around him...wow!

Its really hard to comment on a person's condition while on the track without knowing what substance they were using... Here is a funny story that relates to this in a way. My dad worked for a large research company here in San Antonio they went to a lot of the Nuclear Reactors around the world and each one had very stringent drug tests... Well on one trip my dad and a coworker went to some buffet place where the coworker piled on poppy seeds on his salad... When they went to drug test in the morning all kinds of red flags went up that he was on Cocaine... After the explanation of the poppy seeds and waiting almost a week later to take the test he was cleared.. I know this isn't a great analogy but its hard to vilify a person if you don't know what the substance was that he took that is banned... It very well might not have impaired his ability to do his job to race at all but until it comes out on what he actually took it wouldn't hurt to give him the benefit of doubt before sending him to the gallows... JMHO...

On Edit I pulled this information off of Jayski

Mayfield Statement: Statement from Jeremy Mayfield – Owner/Driver of the #41 Toyota Camry: “As both a team owner and a driver in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, I have immense respect for the enforcement policies NASCAR has in place. In my case, I believe that the combination of a prescribed medicine and an over the counter medicine reacted together and resulted in a positive drug test. My Doctor and I are working with both Dr. Black and NASCAR to resolve this matter. Mayfield Motorsports remains committed to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and the organization will announce an interim owner and a temporary replacement driver early next week. Those roles will commence immediately beginning with next week’s Sprint Open and continuing through Charlotte and beyond.”(Mayfield Motorsports)(5-9-2009)

Its real easy to judge someone by the way its written up in the media. He deserves to be able to clear his name without all of us judging him as guilty. Lets wait and see how this all plays out. jmo.

The latest out by the people that do the NASCAR testing is that there was no way that Mayfield would have shown positive for what he did show on his test by taking two over the counter, or prescribed allergy meds. The Doctor said it was one of the banned substances listed in the NASCAR directive but again, it was not identified. Not sure exactly where I read it but it was either on Jayski or the NASCAR site earlier today.

just saw on nascar now on espn that the drivers and crew have no idea what is or is not on nascar's list of banned substances. now "assuming" all the drivers/crew know that illegal substances (pot, cocaine etc) are a given, how are they supposed to know what they can and cant take, either perscription or over the counter drugs, if they aren't informed by nascar of any and all banned substances?

There is a push on to get NASCAR to identify the banned substances and I am sure it will happen soon. But in any case, as far as Mayfield goes, it simply was not what Mayfield said caused it.

In my line of work all prescription medication must be cleared by our flight surgeon. ALL over the counter meds MUST be approved prior to taking. When you have a strict policy the employees need some way of knowing what they can or cannot take.

EVERY BODY ASSUMES THAT THE DRIVERS ARE RACING WHILE USING THESE "DRUGS"

WHAT IF POOR OLE JEREMY JUST HAS TROUBLE SLEEPING AND TAKES AN AMBIENT TO GO TO BED...

IF HE WAS TAKING PCP THEN HOPPING INTO THE RACE CAR THATS A LITTLE DIFFERENT...BUT WHY WHERE HIS CREW MEMBERS TESTED WAS IT THE SAME OR DIFFERENT????WAS THIS A RANDOM TEST, OR DID THEY ACT ALL GOOFY OR SOMETHING...

i read where nascar told the drivers,crews, etc, what they would be tested for.included steriods,amphetamines and recreationals.every type drug that fits into these 3 groups,would be pretty long.

Archived