Franchitti will return to IRL in 09

Budman

I was checking out Indycar.com and came across this. It seems for next season, Dario Franchitti will return to the IRL and take over the ride in the #10 Target/Chip Ganassi car being vacated by Dan Weldon. Weldon, will move to the #4 car of Panther racing being vacated by Vitor Meira. I just thought y'all would like to know.

Oh Rodney........ behave yourself! :lol:

Here's the deal on Danica (my opinions).

She is frustrated. It has been a frustrating year. They started off by changing her crew chief. Then they changed the rules. This put her in the heaviest car in the IRL and screwed up all their set up notes from last year. She wants to run in the top eschelon, but they won't free up her car enough for her to do that. In spite of all that, going into the last points race, she sits 6th in points.

Honda has offered her an F-1 test drive after the season. At last report she had neither accepted nor rejected that offer.

Personally, I would not think a move to F-1 would be advisable. Among other things, think about the leadership at that level. The president of F-1 has a well documented record of tossing personal insults at her regarding her gender. The president of FIA has recently become infamous for making movies about CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 4TH KIND.

What kind of environment would THAT be for her to move to?

um actually the cars all weight the same with the driver in the car. And I wonder how well she could cope with not one but five engineers (crew chiefs) telling her how to drive, and the temper tantrums. I cant see her being better off in F1. jmo

All this sniping at "furrin" drivers would have a little more impact if an American driver, any American driver, had done anything significant outside of the United States and outside of stock cars and drag racing, which no one else really cares about.

We've only had one American-born world driving champion and we lost him last weekend (Phil Hill, World Champion, 1961). Mario Andretti won the title in 1978 driving for Lotus, but he was born in Italy.

Danica actually has a pretty good record outside of the U. S., matching Danny Sullivan's second-place finish at the Brands Hatch Formula Ford Festival. No other Americans have done that well.

I suspect Danica's car isn't right. It was always curious the way Sarah Fisher could be fast in practice and qualifying, then have an absolute dog under her come race time. Makes you wonder what the crew chief's orders were, and from whom.

Danica's the best female driver to come along while she was still young enough to be a factor. Both Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James were well into their thirties before they got a shot at Indy, and they did pretty well anyway.

Exactly.

tq,

Did you know we have never had a Brazilian road racing champion come from America and we really do not care about that either? Formula 1 is not about drivers. Our good drivers are too smart to get invloved in that crap. Scott Speed - is he the best we have to send there. No way. He is just the best that was not smart enough to stay away from that crap. Formula 1 is not about the best drivers and it probably never will be.

Oh, I think they're the best ................. at what they do. Remember, that's all open-wheel road course racing. I think they are the best at that. I think we all try to compare them to american stock car oval racers. That's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Any comparison is not fair to either.

True, Sprintsrule, but neither are NASCAR or the IRL about the best drivers.

Why do we care what they do "over there?" Obviously, we don't, but we'd be in a better position to talk about "the best drivers in the world" if we had actually beaten a few from outside the U. S.

Conversely, the list of "foreign" drivers who have come to our turf and kicked our tails is a long one.

Oval-track racing is a very specialized form of racing, not too popular outside the U. S. We don't think soccer is important because we play American football, but 210 countries (the last time I looked) play soccer. So we're better at American football and better at oval racing. Why don't we invent a few other sports no one else plays, so we can be "the best in the world" at those, too? (Kind of like the World Series. Well, exactly like the "World Series.")

If we were really trying to see who the best drivers are, why not run spec series? I'll race a five-speed Chevette with a sealed motor as long as everyone else has one, but that's not the game, is it? The game is, I'll cheat to "win." I wonder why the ages of the Chinese gymnasts were a big deal?

For the record, I don't like what they've done to Formula 1, though the cars are awesome. I'd take away the wings and downforce and anti-lock brakes and make 'em shift gears; that's how you decide driving championships.

But I'd like to do the same thing to NASCAR and the short tracks: take the banking down, raise the cars up, take away the aerodynamics, add a few more road courses and see who the drivers are. I'm betting we'd lose half the current Sprint Car field.

We have some drivers, though without money they won't make it. Still, Cary Stapp passed the two leaders on the outside at Thunderhill last week to win. I guess it's not a one-groove track, there just seem to be a number of one-groove drivers who race there, and even more who won't, because it's a one-groove racetrack.

But how do you get better unless you learn to drive and learn to set the car up? Chase has been setting the cars up for Cary for years, and Cary has been driving his tail off for years, and you know what? He almost never touches another car on his way to the front, while half the rest of the field seems to think the only way to get by is to hit someone, and the only way to stay in front is to block.

Try it this way: if the guy (or gal) behind you gets his or her nose under you, and you can't come down without touching them, they have the line. Let 'em go, and try to get your nose under them the next turn, or the next lap. No, "He wasn't up to my rear wheel," or "He wasn't up to my door." If you can't close the door without hitting him, he has the line. If he's only two inches up alongside, he has the line. Think it can't work? Give it a shot.

we'd be in a better position to talk about "the best drivers in the world" if we had actually beaten a few from outside the U. S.

Conversely, the list of "foreign" drivers who have come to our turf and kicked our tails is a long one.

Isn't the list of American born Formula 1 champions the same or longer than the list of foreign born NASCAR champions? Their best come to our turf but our best do not go to their turf. Common sense would tell you they will have more success here than we have there since we don't even go there.

It's a little like McCain's speech last night.He said this country was settled by a mix of people from all over the world to create a better nation.One that the rest of the world could look up to and pattern themselves after.We need to dump this theory that we need to look up to and follow the other countries in everything we do.We need to stick to the inch,pound,driving on the right,American football,and of course stock car racing.There is too much "HOW WOULD THEY DO IT" talk.

It's a little like McCain's speech last night.He said this country was settled by a mix of people from all over the world to create a better nation.One that the rest of the world could look up to and pattern themselves after.We need to dump this theory that we need to look up to and follow the other countries in everything we do.We need to stick to the inch,pound,driving on the right,American football,and of course stock car racing.There is too much "HOW WOULD THEY DO IT" talk.

amen ...mike mccain ..no im not running for vice president ..

Edited by oldtimer