Anyone know results from Houston tonight?

eighttwentyone

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitchin about how races are called on here creates a negative atmosphere for stock car racing.

If someone has a problem with the way races are called, they should contact the people responsible for making those calls and not get on here with it.

Yes, it feels good to call "the powers that be" out in public. And, yes, maybe the "bitcher" has a legitmate gripe, but "bitcher" almost always ends up looking like a crybaby and short track racing in Texas receives another public black eye at a time when we can't affort more public black eyes...

Most track owners/promoters these days are very willing to listen to complaints and suggestions, but it does no one any good to get on here and bitch.

Nick

This is my first post so be gentle with me lol, What a night of racing, i would like to thank all the drivers and officials on Saturday night to make such a memorable evening, this was my first time at the ovel track i normally watch the drags, But i am totally converted, and i will be going to all that i can afford. Thanks again guys!

i agree ,bitchin' on here can have a negative effect ,but what happens when you see something that just isn't fair? don't you think a sincere question at least deserves the respect of an honest answer ,even if the answer isn't what you want to hear ,or just an honest "we screwed up". i'm not trying to pick an arguement just had an honest question B)

This is off subject, but has to do with Houston. I hear a lot of complaints about the long days of racing. Because of some peoples complaints, I got to the track at 11 when the gates opened, rolled throught tech and wanted to go out to practice, since I made some drastic changes to the car. I was told that all the complaints of the long days, practice was not allowed until organized practice after 1, for us it was 1:50. For those of you who complained, get a grip. you guys are used to going to the races at 5, and then getting home at 2-3 in the morning. We get started early, and our show is over by 10. The ones that I read complaining don't even race at HMP, and those of us that chose to be at the track early, were penalized for it. My race is ussually over by7:30 or 8. I ussually have time to go through tech, load up, and go watch half the features at Gator in Willis, after a 1 hour drive up there. HMP puts on a good show, the hours are different, but they are tollerable. The heat sucks, but I am doing what I love to do, so why complain. I look at it this way. If you don't like how the show is run, you have the choise to go somewhere else. Don't make them change what they do to suit you. Every time they make a change for 1 person, it costs everyone else. I for one have been struck with changes that have cost me almost $1500, I don't like it, but it does not do any good to complain, you just get ridiculed and people loose respect for you. This is HMP and this is how it is run. This is not Kyle, San Antonio, Gator, HRP, Edna, I-37 or where ever. every track runs things there ways. As long as the track makes honest calls, is honest with the drivers, and fair with everything else, then it is good. Don't change the rules to satisfy one person, take a vote amongst all the drivers and no one can say they were left out.

Now that I have gotten on my soap box....can someone get me down from here!!!

i love racing, so LORD if you can, keep my car and me healthy enough to go to my playground at hmp on race night so i can have fun. not everything goes my way, but i am satisfied to have a great place to race with all my friends and family. my car don't get tore up all the time and the fans bring their kiddo's out to give them a good place to enjoy away from home, the little kiddo's look up to us as their hero's. i hope that i can be the example in their lives to make a difference in the disissions that they make while becoming an adult. my actions on the forum and on the track should be what i use as an example as a mentor for these youngster's. i know that i am not perfect and the track officals are not either, we all make mistakes, so with your kindness and love for others, will you see that our track stay's around a long time for us to have a playground.

i help manage hot rod hill motorpark for 4 years before it was closed because of a political motive, it is not very much fun to have your heart and soul put into something for racers to have a place to call home or even a playground to play at, if you people that are complaining would make a phone call and talk to the source about your complaint, maybe what you are upset about would be fixed, but if you are complaining about a track that you never attend, you are just causing trouble for all of us. i think that nick should zap a lot of this negetivity from ever making it on the forum, jmo, but complainning should be handled directly with the track officals, not a gripe session on the forum. if we keep up all the whinning, there may not be a place to whine about, i'm not saying you don't have a lagitamate complaint, i'm just saying, it's just a phone call away. the baker family are doing all they can to make our racing, the best it can be, it's our job to help.

stop and think about what we are complainning for and is it worth losing our playground? thanks, del :unsure:

i agree ,bitchin' on here can have a negative effect ,but what happens when you see something that just isn't fair? don't you think a sincere question at least deserves the respect of an honest answer ,even if the answer isn't what you want to hear ,or just an honest "we screwed up". i'm not trying to pick an arguement just had an honest question B)

And here's the honest answser: Call the track when you see something that just isn't fair. A sincere question directed in person to the people who can do something about it will have a much better chance of getting a sincere answer than a bitch session on the internet. It may not be the answer you were hoping for, but I have found most track managers are quite responsive to honest, sincere concerns.

Some of the time, however, the "innocent sincere question" turns out to be a bitch in disguise. It's a chore trying to keep the bitchin down, but I just do the best I can to keep the bitchin down to a dull roar.

Nick

Guest huff37

BOY!

This is the first time i have agreed completly with everything that Del and Arthur

had to say on any subject!!!

You guys keep hangin around me and you'll get smartened up for sure.

Next time yall decide to agree on sumpin give me some warning---

I dang near fainted ;);)B)B)

So ANYWAYS, I see Ian Webster won the Pro Mod race. I didn't make it out but wish I had now. Congrats Ian! Bet there was a heck of a party afterwards.

Arthur,

The way I understood the complaints about practicing all day are as much about the money it costs as it is about the long days. Relax, smile :D and try to have a little fun man. This isn't life and death. You are very fortunate to have a beautiful place to race and tons of people would be glad to trade places with you. The track is doing a good job in very tough times and they do not need you bad mouthing every decision they make. That will not benefit anybody. Trust me when I say you need to be grateful for the experience you are getting to go through because it will be over before you know it. SMILE :D:D:D

Arthur,

The way I understood the complaints about practicing all day are as much about the money it costs as it is about the long days. Relax, smile :D and try to have a little fun man. This isn't life and death. You are very fortunate to have a beautiful place to race and tons of people would be glad to trade places with you. The track is doing a good job in very tough times and they do not need you bad mouthing every decision they make. That will not benefit anybody. Trust me when I say you need to be grateful for the experience you are getting to go through because it will be over before you know it. SMILE :D:D:D

Trust me, I am very thankful. I am trying to get those that are complaining to realize that when I get done racing, I can still go to the other tracks and watch a full night of racing. I am grateful to all that make racing possible for me, and that includes the Bakers at HMP.

How did a simple thing like who won turn into all this again. I have a couple of suggestions, and I have to agree with James. Before Arthur and Del agree on something and confuse the rest of us, y'all need to put out a message for everone else to be cautions.

All kidding aside, this is a sport. We need to take this a bit less seriously than it has been taken lately. If all of you are that upset about racing then you should take up pottery. Yes the racing day is long, but it's a way to get out and meet up with some of the people that you don't get to see except for the races. If you don't want to spend that much time at the track then come later. Problem solved but agreeing with Arthur, don't bitch and complain and screw it up for everyone else.

The staff at HMP does a great job with what they have to work with and by that I mean the drivers. There are a group of people who are excited to go out and be some of the first through the gate to go and have some fun. As has been mentioned, pick up the phone, call Graham or Sarah and express or concerns. Remember to please do so in a polite and courteous manner as these people are trying to do the best they can. I bet if people call and have a suggestion it will be heard. I know this from experience. When ever I've had a question, I've had a very pleasant converstaion with Sarah, Graham or John and found out most times that I was mistaken or I had understood something incorrectly.

Remember folks, this is a sport and it's supposed to be fun

Ed..I want you to know I have waited a day to reply to your comments directed at HMP. Otherwise I would have told you how I really feel. The only time you post on here is to complain. I for one am sick of it. If you only knew how much complaining and abuse the Bakers took over your lack of driving skills, you would be kissing their behinds..You personally were responsible for the 2 yellow flag rule that is in effect...What their doing may not be perfect, but at least they're trying hard. All tracks have problems, and not everybody leaves the race track happy every week.It's all we've got and a lot of us appreciate it and the Baker's. By all means if you can do a better job, I'm sure they would be happy to lease you the track , so you can show them how it's done...It ain't no hamburger joint...If you cared you would be doing everything you could to help the track, not sit in your glass house and throw stones.( although your safer behind the screen of your computer than you are behind the wheel of a race car) JMO....I do agree with the Bakers..you really are a nice person "but" always full of negativity towards the track when things don't go your way or the way you think they should..I personally don't see where you have a right to complain ,you don't run your car there and don't appear to want to run your car there. I don't think you even sponser a car there. Now there's an ideal....why don't you help out by sponsoring a race or a couple of out of town cars with some tow money for gas as to help the car count....I did saturday night...I gave the 26 mod from Corpus money towards gas for coming down and supporting the class because I want him to keep supporting the track and our class...Think about what I've said here Ed....be positive and ask what you can do to help, the track and the racers,not what you can say negative next time........or I will print what I really feel.......Denny Burton

tell us how you really feel Denny......, hey the bakers work their rears off for us to have a great place to race and play ,i wish they knew how much most of us really appreciated all they do for us , and i will take your advice nick and ask one the officials my question next time i see one of them. B)

Well thanks for your input Denny. I wasn't trying to be negative on this post to start with. I was there to watch and I was just trying to ask a question on the 2 caution rule. It just looked like it wasn't the same for all. Some got it and some didn't.

I did make the remark on the 2 caution rule just because with so few cars it hurts the show if so many get DQ'd. I think if you are driving really bad they should take you off. But at this point with car counts down maybe considering the severity of the caution could come into play.

I am not running my car for 1 reason and 1 reason only. And it has nothing to do with the track. I am not racing at all at any track right now.

I didn't realize that this post would hit such a nerve in some people so I will from now on be more selective in my words. I was not trying to give the track a black eye but apparantly I have and I am sorry for that.

I should have taken Nick's advice. I will remove my post and send John and the Bakers my apology

You know this is like a bunch of 5th graders fighting over sitting at the cool kids table. Now we're throwing stones at each other. Can we just stop, say thank you to John, Sarah and Graham for doing the best job they can. Let's make some positive comments and come up with some good suggestions that John can print off here and take to their meetings.

I personally would be embarrased to have Graham see some of these childish comments that are being thrown out there. He's right, mow down the oval track and make the parking lot bigger for the drag strip. You see any of the drag racers on here whining? didn't think so

Let's see if we can go a whole day with positive and constructive comments :):D

I have been to way to many tracks to count,and worked on many teams in winning and losing and even in accidents. But since i returned to short track racing at HMP i have seen some old friends and met some new ones.What i'm speaking of here now is that whether you do or don't like what goes on at HMP, it is a great place with great people.Saturday night our team was involved in a bad wreck and in the past i've seen tempers between the drivers and team members get way out of hand,yet on this night everyone kepted a cool head and turned out nice besides one car being trashed. I'd like to say thank you to everyone at HMP (drivers,crews,fans,officials)for keeping a atmospher in racing FUN!!!!Bless you all.

i'd say let's use the drag strip for parking, turn the bleechers around, get more cars for the oval track and show dirt track racing what real racing is all about.

fix the upper portion of the turns with just a tid-bit more banking and open it up for some great side-by-side racing thru the turns and down the straights. :rolleyes:

run the classes that are willing to grow and do away with the ones that don't, i think that if a class thought that they might have a chance at losing their place to run in our area, they may want to pursue promoting their class to keep it local, this should not be just for hmp, but any asphalt track in Texas.

i think our rules are best that you could ask for in any class, except for safety reasons, they should not be changed, the good thing is that we now have a tech man that is bios to all, you had better read and understood your rules for your class, because he will define them for you, it's best by phone before you bring the car to the track, then you should know, legal or not. :blink:

i for one would make one change in the classes that do run at hmp, i would take an average count of cars for each class over the first half of the season and see what that total was, if it did not improve for the rest of the season, look at getting another class in to take there place. another option would be to rotate classes. have the classes we run now with a couple of alternate classes to run every other week. :huh:

i'm for sure there is enough other classes that would love to have a facility as nice as hmp or kyle to run every other week ( sportmods, mini sprints, mini stocks, etc. ) there are several to choose from. it just should not get to this point, we should do our part along with the bakers or mary ann, to have our playground, if not, this will all go away. an alternate may be pitching horse shoes or washers, who knows?

thanks, del ;)

Archived