Where have all the racers gone?

firemdk

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if people would quit trying to win the race on the first lap, the cars we lost would still be there. if you build a car to come to hmp and race, it needs to fit the rules. personally, i can't think of anyone in our class trying to run anyone off, if you get offended because someone brings up wether a car is legal or not, you don't need to be racing anyway. no body is trying to run you off, it's just that your attitude has changed a lot towards the very ones that has helped you so much, the sad thing is, they still like you as a friend. its funny that we can all have problems about different things, but as friends, we don't call each other on the phone to discuss it. i would not blame the track for low car count when it is usually drivers attitudes between each other that can cause others to not come back, communication is a good thing!!!

why would it be a bad thing to contact the oil companies and show them what is going to happen due to the prices of fuel, if we have track closures all across the country, the oil companies are going to lose also. why with thier record profits, coundn't they sponsor some travel fuel or something to help? it looks like it would be in thier best interest also!!!

Del, my comments were not towards our class only. My car is legal per the rules. I have read them very closely. My attitude has changed from when I was DQ'd, because I was pissed, and I am going to expose every hole I can in the rules. That is my right to do so. If I don't, someone else will. As for winning the race on the first lap. I drive everyone clean, if I make contact, I go to appologize after the race. If I get hit, I expect the same, but ussually get an excuse without the appology. I don't ussually make it to the front(since I alwats start at the back) till the very end. I do more giving than taking. You can watch my video and see how many times per race that I have to give and it costs me my momentum, but I rarely tear my car up because of it. There are things from both officials and other racers that are hurting racing. That is why I say Graham needs to call some of the drivers. I have raced 3 years with the same body at HMP, and all I have had to replace was the doors and 1 fender because of a little damage. That is why I race at HMP, my car stays straight. I do take offense to someone trying to DQ me over something stupid, they could have come to me before the race and pointed out something I over looked. I am going to find out who it was, already have a call into the official that I talked to Sat night. He knew it was disconnected, and had seen it in the car all year. I have confronted you about any problems that I had, if there is more problems that I don't know about, everyone knows how to contact me. I am an easy person to get along with, until you get on my bad side, just ask Richard Smith, and we worked through it and now we get along aven better.

With al this complaining, I need to spell out the fact that I did have fun, HMP did an awsome job getting the race in, and the fans coming down was awsome again. That costs me a lot of money every race, but well worth it. Those kids love the autographs. I even have some adult fans now, not all kids anymore.

People also have family. Family vacations, getaways, whatever you want to call it. Car count traditionally (most of the time) falls off around mid-summer for a wide variety of reasons. It would be hard to cover them all <shrug>.

22 cars does not sound like a low car count to me. I am sure HMP would love to have 22 in a class. There were lots of $1,000 to win races for the Limited Modifieds this weekend so they had a lot of competition. Pleasanton had 24 Limiteds on Saturday for a $1,000 to win show.

We quit asphalt racing when they started running time trials and features only. It was too much work to risk because if you ran two or three laps in a feature and had a problem, your whole day was wasted. If you at least ran a heat race or dash before the feature, you had a chance at a good finish and that made the work seem to be worth it. If you had a problem in the heat race, you still had a shot at a good finish in the feature. To me it just simply was not as enjoyable to run time trials and features only after being at the track for eight to ten hours.

As a fan, I LOVE trophy dashes or king of the hill with the fastest four cars. I also do not feel like it is an insult to only watch 3 classes. I would much rather watch three classes with fifteen to twenty cars in a class than watch six classes with six and eight cars in a class.

i dont like heat races that pay nothing . points . ok but wont pay for tires fuel and what ever may break in the heat ..though i agree , it helps you out for the feature some times .......

The fact that the July 4th holiday was on Friday had to have some effect. I would think that many people took the opportunity to either travel or just take it easy after Friday's "activities". Holiday weekends are always a crap-shoot. Seem like any form of racing I have ever been involved in is that way.

HMP had an all time record attendance and record number of race cars on the drag strip Sunday night following Saturday's Speedway event.

John

22 cars does not sound like a low car count to me. I am sure HMP would love to have 22 in a class. There

As a fan, I LOVE trophy dashes or king of the hill with the fastest four cars. I also do not feel like it is an insult to only watch 3 classes. I would much rather watch three classes with fifteen to twenty cars in a class than watch six classes with six and eight cars in a class.

Yep, thats the way it used to be! Just 2 classes of cars, 2 trophy dashes, 2 king of the hill races, 8 heat races, 2 b-mains & 2 features. TOTAL = 18 races in one night. Gates opened at 6pm Hot laps at 7pm, heat races started at 8pm, followed by Trophy Dashes & King if the Hill races, intermission, b-mains & Features! To many classes these days, car counts split up to many times.

JMO ;)

i dont like heat races that pay nothing . points . ok but wont pay for tires fuel and what ever may break in the heat ..though i agree , it helps you out for the feature some times .......

What is the differrance in 2 or 3 hot lap sessions (that the fans don't get to see) to running a heat race (that the fans get to see) Both pay nothing?

PS: Heat races did pay money in the early 90's and earlier days!

The fact that the July 4th holiday was on Friday had to have some effect. I would think that many people took the opportunity to either travel or just take it easy after Friday's "activities". Holiday weekends are always a crap-shoot. Seem like any form of racing I have ever been involved in is that way.

HMP had an all time record attendance and record number of race cars on the drag strip Sunday night following Saturday's Speedway event.

John

Thats a totally different crowd!!!!!Under HMPs pavement is the BEST dirt in Houston. ;)

Entry fees...

The way drivers treat each other...

The number of classes....

Running weekly,bi-weekly.....monthly...

Bad teching...

Low purses....

Length of the show...

You can state many other reasons like those but all have been talked about since the beginning of stock car racing.

Whether you want to admit it or not...the harsh economy,sparked by the high cost of fuel,is the root of the death of the sport we have loved for so long and never thought would come to an end.

Did you notice the grandstands at Daytona?Very empty.

The cost of living has increased enormously,and with the corn getting burned up in gas tanks,is going to increase at an even faster rate by this time next year.

The cost of beef by next April is going to triple.Steak houses are already trying to corner the market on foreign grass fed beef.Wait until you taste it.

I have never raced but have been a shop fly and a fan for 34 years now.When racing was at it's best was when it was weekly,with 3-4 classes only,heats in every class,inverted starts according to points standings,and the beer was a leader item.

It truely is too late to go back to those thing previously mentioned...or is it?

Tracks can't charge $7 a ticket anymore...

No more $1 hot dogs...

No more $1 beer...

No more $2 hamburgers...

The only way this show survives is if there are enough wealthy track owners and car owners to put the show on...with the upcoming Democratic tax increases,and inflation I am losing hope.

Man I hope I'm wrong.I miss going to the races but $170 for the Houston trip and $60 for the Kyle trip make it a rare trip now.

But HMP is doing alot of those things and still putting up a guaranteed purse. The only thing they are missing is racers. There are some of us that show up rain or shine but we need to get a couple of good nights to show them that we all care and we all want a place to race.

Anyone who doesn't want to come out, put your cars or trucks or what ever up for sale and let's get them in the hands of people who will race. As Nick said, you think it's bad now, wait till you have to drive to Oklahoma or Louisiana to go racing.

i really am worried about the future of all racing...mad max days not too far away.....

i dont know what is going happen

too arthur and del: dont air your drama on the internet..

at hmp something has to change to obtain a better car counts, what i dont know.... i am for a shorter race days..

i dont care what another cars bodys apperance or style is. it is very hard to find a nice monte carlo,nova, cutlas, grand prix, caprices and others unless you know somebody...with houstons clean air act and the price of scrap metal have killed the houston areas avalilable doner cars...

the need to be a little liberal with body rules has come forth at 80 mph the down force gained by a good nose piece is slim to none....the nova i drive has an open front end...greg davidson some years back set the pole with out any front end....

john drag racing ........ i can "drag race" my truck or my moms car...or my honda with a coffe can exhaust and cold air intake and call it a "race car"...i have been to the drag races at hmp and between the cocaine,weed,extacy sales in the pits to the busted beer bottles and the no weapons warning signs i am not sure it is my crowd.......no offense

Ok.. been quiet for a long time.. on dial up hunting nick in New England.. (Not that far away from him)

I had to leave from TX on zero notice, and honestly have spent the entire seasons racing budget on a family 911. the cost to travel is deadly right now. Take if from someone that has will have 6000 miles traveling by Saturday.

It's costing nearly $80 for 1 down and back trip to the hopital in boston... (every day for 3 weeks)

Things in the USA are under fast and drastic change, my parents own a motel/resturant, and to tell you the truth things this year are BAD... Less than 50% of the business of last year.

I hate to say it but, until the pump gets fixed.. the american boat will be a sub before long... American's just aren't equiped nor ready for the costs changes that are coming their way...

My car is in pieces, and i hate to say it... there is not money right not to put it back on the track..

its eat or be eat'n right now..

that sucks Big A but it is certainly the state we are all in right now. Our hobby sure take mucho dinero from so many directions, we kinda make it out when we can and hope it doesn't get tore up too bad, if it does it unfortunatly goes on the shelf. i've taken up golf recently, its a little cheaper, at least so far, it looks like i'll suck long enough at it that so i may not invest in high dollar stuff! maybe sometime we can do an outing and we can compare hardships on the links..

Guest HUFF MOTORSPORTS
i really am worried about the future of all racing...mad max days not too far away.....

at hmp something has to change to obtain a better car counts, what i dont know.... i am for a shorter race days..

i dont care what another cars bodys apperance or style is. it is very hard to find a nice monte carlo,nova, cutlas, grand prix, caprices and others unless you know somebody...with houstons clean air act and the price of scrap metal have killed the houston areas avalilable doner cars...

the need to be a little liberal with body rules has come forth at 80 mph the down force gained by a good nose piece is slim to none....the nova i drive has an open front end...greg davidson some years back set the pole with out any front end....

john drag racing ........ i can "drag race" my truck or my moms car...or my honda with a coffe can exhaust and cold air intake and call it a "race car"...i have been to the drag races at hmp and between the cocaine,weed,extacy sales in the pits to the busted beer bottles and the no weapons warning signs i am not sure it is my crowd.......no offense

NOW LYNN WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU JUST DID, AIRING THE DRAG STRIPS DIRTY LAUNDRY. :huh:

I DO HAVE TO SAY THEY ARE THE MOST DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE I HAVE EVER COME IN CONTACT

WITH.

authur and i had a big talk about some differences and hugged and ki=^%&*<? ( just kiding about the last part ) but, we are going to work together too try and help our track succeed by promoting it to the best of our ability, this includes trying to get other racers to our track, not just fans, showing our cars at different locations while promoting our sponsors at the same time.

we understand that everyone cannot do this, but, the ones that can't, can get on the phone and call some of the racers that have not shown up. you don't know why their not coming out to the track unless someone makes the call. effort on all of our part is what is going to keep us a place to enjoy our sport!!!

thanks, del

p.s. lynn, i don't care what authur say's, you suck!!!

To clarify what I have said about HMP. I think HMP has done everything that we as racers have asked, and then some. They listen, they are paying guaranteed purses, the lowered entry fees, the made a fair qualifying format, they thought outside the box in marketing and hit a homerun. My point is this. If I am a pissed off race car driver that has stoped racing at HMP, I would rather talk to Graham than another racer, or John, or Sarah, or Dean. Graham is the top dog, and that is who I would want to talk too. As a matter of fact, the night I got DQ'd, I got a call from Graham the next morning. It was just a call to ask what happened and what the final outcome was. But it did make me feel more apreciated and it did calm me down, until I talked to Jack again, then I was furious again. I hae always said us racers need to take things into our own hands to help out, and I have done what I can to help out, and I know there are many more that have also done some to help, and with John's marketing ideas, we have seen what it can do. 5000 plus people in the stands. Cold calling other racers and saying, hey, what's up, what happened, why didn't you show up, only works when you are friends with them. Don't go calling people you don't know and try to figre out why they aren't there. That is what the track needs to do, mainly Graham. It is just a nice thing to do every now and then.

NOW LYNN WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU JUST DID, AIRING THE DRAG STRIPS DIRTY LAUNDRY. :huh:

I DO HAVE TO SAY THEY ARE THE MOST DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE I HAVE EVER COME IN CONTACT

WITH.

They pay the bills at HMP so let them do whatever it is they do.

bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, i forgot, bla,bla,bla,bla,bla

Heck, I just want to know what the car count actually was.

9 trucks, not real bad. we should have 10-14 at kyle this week if some houston people come.

Everyone here is acting like there were 4 or 5 vehicles on the grounds and they were playing poker between races. It was a holiday weekend This happens on holiday weekends, personally I would spend all weekend at a race but some folks want to load up the family and go fishing or skiing or something. If the idiots that lived around me were less apt to pop fireworks in the middle of a drought and try to burn down all the land around me I would have been there. The best way to support any track or any form of hobby is the most amount of participants showing up, the fans will follow and the event will make a profit. It takes time and effort!

Maybe that's part of the problem. The only names you quoted were GM cars. Maybe fans would like to see a mix of manufacturers race.

I still think big oil is the culprit. I'm not just talking about getting to the track. Many racers have family and full time jobs. This all factors into their wallet. Their day to day travel eats a lot of the family budget.

Oh mortgage co., I can't send house payment because I had to send our money to the oil co.

Oh, I couldn't make car payment because I had to send our money to the oil co.

Oh, utilitie co., I can't pay you because our money went to the oil co.

Oh, grocery store, we wont be in this week because we sent our money to the oil co.

And the beat goes on....................................

I can't blame it on the holiday. Less people traveled this year than any in recent memory. And back in the day, we filled the stands with a holliday show.

We can stretch this a hundred different ways but it still comes down to the price of gas. We don't use enough gas at the track to amount to anything. It is bad if you have to push your race car, by hand, to the track.

Archived