Where have all the racers gone?

firemdk

It was a very quiet weekend in the pits with car counts continuting to decline, we need to figure out what we can do to get the cars on the track to retain the butts in the seat. I want to commend everyone at HMP for the excellent job they are doing in partnering with the different organizations to draw the crowd and get the people there to watch. The problem is that now it's time for us the racers to do our part and make sure that we're putting on a great show for the fans and we need to do that with car counts.

If anyone has suggestions on top of what HMP has already done please put them here or send John an e-mail. Here's a quick recap of what they have already done for us.

1. No entry fee. Just pay your pit passes and your car is free

2. Guaranteed purse which is the best anywhere around

3. A great place to race

I don't know what more we could ask for but let's figure out why we're not getting the cars!

Thanks all

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your right gun big oil makes money little guy gets the bend over billy.same old story i know john grayam and maryann and all there crews are trying there best but commin folks only got so much.its hard to get the stands full when the tank is on "E" thank you exxon your doing a great job.

This was a holiday weekend,but outside of that i personally think that they are racing to much.Every 3 weeks was a good schedule especially when the track goofballs(you known who you are)tear your car up and you have to spend every extra hour(and dollar)you have to try and get the car back together.The way it is now you order parts on Monday and by the time you get them you might have 7-8 days to get the car back together(thats if you don't have a job and a life)!!!!!! :(

The fact that the July 4th holiday was on Friday had to have some effect. I would think that many people took the opportunity to either travel or just take it easy after Friday's "activities". Holiday weekends are always a crap-shoot. Seem like any form of racing I have ever been involved in is that way. The weather forecast sure didn't help either.

There are exceptions (to the holiday gamble) I am sure, such as long established big money races.

IMO, Racing only once a month would create a real challenge to building and keeping a loyal fan base. I believe that is the intent of offering discount tickets and free nights. The promotional effort would probably have to be much larger and even more expensive to keep potential fans/customers aware of the schedule.

I haven't talked either the Bakers or the Naumanns about this, so no one should put more stock in what I have to say than what you want to. But it really isn't hard to figure out. It's pretty simple, really.

Gone are the days when we can "go fishing" instead of racing because of something that doesn't suit our sense of right and wrong and expect the track to absorb the loss due to our absence. Or stay home because of high gas prices. Or any other reason.

Yes, parking the race car is the ultimate racer negotiating tool, and in years past threatening to "park it" seemed to help get our way at times. But we need to wake up and smell the coffee right now. This year is a "make it or break it" year for just about every track in Texas, both asphalt and dirt. Yes, there are exceptions, but not many. If our tracks close, we have no one to blame but ourselves for not showing up and putting on a show for the fans.

When there are padlocks on the pit gate, it won't matter if gas is high or low, if the tire rule suits our fancy or not, if so-and-so tech official is a jerk, if the purse doesn't pay for my racing fix or whatever our bitch of the week might be. We'll all be hunting for a go-cart track somewhere or maybe we can haul to Louisiana or New Mexico or Alabama or Florida or Maine for our racing fix. Want to see a gas bill? Haul to Florida a few times...

Nick

I haven't talked either the Bakers or the Naumanns about this, so no one should put more stock in what I have to say than what you want to. But it really isn't hard to figure out. It's pretty simple, really.

Gone are the days when we can "go fishing" instead of racing because of something that doesn't suit our sense of right and wrong and expect the track to absorb the loss due to our absence. Or stay home because of high gas prices. Or any other reason.

Yes, parking the race car is the ultimate racer negotiating tool, and in years past threatening to "park it" seemed to help get our way at times. But we need to wake up and smell the coffee right now. This year is a "make it or break it" year for just about every track in Texas, both asphalt and dirt. Yes, there are exceptions, but not many. If our tracks close, we have no one to blame but ourselves for not showing up and putting on a show for the fans.

When there are padlocks on the pit gate, it won't matter if gas is high or low, if the tire rule suits our fancy or not, if so-and-so tech official is a jerk, if the purse doesn't pay for my racing fix or whatever our bitch of the week might be. We'll all be hunting for a go-cart track somewhere or maybe we can haul to Louisiana or New Mexico or Alabama or Florida or Maine for our racing fix. Want to see a gas bill? Haul to Florida a few times...

Nick

Nick you are right on the money with this post.Mikes fuel bill has been $1000 to $1500 everytime we leave town. :blink:

For one thing, Tim is right, racing on a Holiday like the 4th of July is a crap shoot. But racing only 1 time per month is not the answer. This is bad for the fans and the racers. Seems like there is a lot of bad blood and back stabbing going on amongst the drivers, some that are not getting along, some leave to avoid dealing with it. Others just deal with it on the track, causing the other to not be able to come back to the next race. I heard mention of calling other drivers to see where they were? I don't think that is a good idea. I think that Grahm, and only Grahm needs to make these calls. Not John, not Sarah, not Dean and not other racers, but Grahm. There are issues that I have heard that he alone needs to hear or deal with. That is just my opinion. It is also a good idea to just call and say thank you to some of those guys too. I talk with Grahm a lot, and let him know how much I enjoy racing at his track, and many of you need to do this also, to keep him positive about the track. Anyways, that is my 2 cents worth, if someone could please send me my change, I would apreciate it!!!

How about not requiring it to be a all day affair at the asphalt tracks. Do like the dirt tracks and the old days, open the pits at 4pm, one practice session per class, run the heats and features,maybe a dash or so and call it a night, instead of multiple practice sessions, and don't make the shows all features with time trials only.

I agree with 97car. Car counts at the dirt tracks seemed to be decent this weekend. Wearing out tires and burning up fuel at 2:00 - 6:00 is pretty expensive. I know of guys that have switched to the dirt tracks because they can arrive at 6:00, hot lap a few laps, run their heat race and feature and go home. It is five hours at the track instead of 12 and they get in more races.

I think there is definately some merit to the shorter day. I think also maybe only running 2 or 3 classes at an event which would allow for a trophy dash, maybe a heat race or 2 and a main event. Give the racer more than a couple of practices and a main event.

Car count at Willis for the Limited Modifieds this weekend was low. $1000 to win, and any one driver in the top 12 wins a brand new Hot Chassis. You would think they would have 50 plus cars. The Hot Chassis is worth 6K. They did not run a b-main by looking at the pictures, and the guy who finished 4th, won the chassis. I could be wrong about the B-main, but only 22 cars showed up on Friday top qualify. I am sure more showed up Sat, and a few didn't come back cause of damage. So, it is a crap shoot racing on Holiday's, especially 4th of July, and any weekend that NASCAR races in Texas.

I think there is definately some merit to the shorter day. I think also maybe only running 2 or 3 classes at an event which would allow for a trophy dash, maybe a heat race or 2 and a main event. Give the racer more than a couple of practices and a main event.

2 or 3 classes is an insult to the fans who come to watch a lot of racing, 8-10 classe is way too many. What Graham and John did this year, with having 5-6 classes, was perfect. Just the right amount of racing to make the fans go home feeling like they got their money's worth. Fans don't care about trophy dashes, that is for the racers. Fans like the action, fans like the $1 beer, Fans like the drama of racing. Remember, its all about the fans. If we have no fans, we have no track, but also, if we have no cars, we have no fans. I try to drive as clean as possible to not tear my car up, or anyone elses. We can't afford to total a couple cars out, then we end up with 5-8 again, like we did this weekend. We have lost 6 cars in our class over wrecks and BS among the rules. And it seems like they are trying to run a couple more off.

22 cars does not sound like a low car count to me. I am sure HMP would love to have 22 in a class. There were lots of $1,000 to win races for the Limited Modifieds this weekend so they had a lot of competition. Pleasanton had 24 Limiteds on Saturday for a $1,000 to win show.

We quit asphalt racing when they started running time trials and features only. It was too much work to risk because if you ran two or three laps in a feature and had a problem, your whole day was wasted. If you at least ran a heat race or dash before the feature, you had a chance at a good finish and that made the work seem to be worth it. If you had a problem in the heat race, you still had a shot at a good finish in the feature. To me it just simply was not as enjoyable to run time trials and features only after being at the track for eight to ten hours.

As a fan, I LOVE trophy dashes or king of the hill with the fastest four cars. I also do not feel like it is an insult to only watch 3 classes. I would much rather watch three classes with fifteen to twenty cars in a class than watch six classes with six and eight cars in a class.

starting early is both good and bad. if you start early and practice, if something happens you have time to fix it before the race, or if you try something and it doesnt work, you have plenty of time to undo it. the bad thing is you spend the whole day there at the track and have to cram all of your chores into sunday. plus the track is usually different from noon to race time, so opening the gates later and having a practice close to race time makes more sense. either way i am just glad that there is still a place to race, thanks to mary ann and her staff for making this possible.

I got to the track early on Sat, found problems both time I went out to practice, and was able to fix them. Without the practice, I would have been SOL. I am one who was a fan of racing until 2001, when I was offered a chance to drive a car, then I was hooked. I did not grow up in racing, my family doesn't like it. I can see both sides of an arguement on this, its a no win situation sometimes.

if people would quit trying to win the race on the first lap, the cars we lost would still be there. if you build a car to come to hmp and race, it needs to fit the rules. personally, i can't think of anyone in our class trying to run anyone off, if you get offended because someone brings up wether a car is legal or not, you don't need to be racing anyway. no body is trying to run you off, it's just that your attitude has changed a lot towards the very ones that has helped you so much, the sad thing is, they still like you as a friend. its funny that we can all have problems about different things, but as friends, we don't call each other on the phone to discuss it. i would not blame the track for low car count when it is usually drivers attitudes between each other that can cause others to not come back, communication is a good thing!!!

why would it be a bad thing to contact the oil companies and show them what is going to happen due to the prices of fuel, if we have track closures all across the country, the oil companies are going to lose also. why with thier record profits, coundn't they sponsor some travel fuel or something to help? it looks like it would be in thier best interest also!!!

My opinion, There are a combo of problems.

1: 10-12 hours during the heat of Texas days is brutal. 3 10 min practices spread out over 3 hours isnt the way to do it. 3 30 min sessions would do.

2: COST...COST...COST. Burning up 500 dollars worth of tires per 75 lap race!!! Not too good. I ran a modified a couple of weeks back( and not too well either) with 125 lap old tires that have been sitting since the snowball. They gauged almost exactly what a 25 lap set measured. And just as good.

3: Racing! Most fans of this sport want to support the racers and the tracks but the "racing" is dwindling. Alot of races seem to be a wreckfest with too much "rubbin' is racin" BS. People in the stands remember the times when they were 3 wide coming to the checkards, but choose to forget when someone got dumped by a driver who ran out of talent. Personally the guy named Levi I believe in the SS race a few weeks back put on a hell of a show running the outside of some of the veterans for several laps. That was good racin. And clean too. He didnt win but put on one heel of a show. Thats racin folks. If you have to beat up someone to pass than you arent racin. Your on your way to reckin.

Just an opinion of an old never was who is just a number on a board.

Archived