TECHNICAL INFRACTION #02 Super Stock

STREET02

After numerous Phone calls and e:mails asking about my TECHNICAL INFRACTION in the results report.

I felt I needed to explain why I was DQ' d . TECHNICAL INFRACTION sounds bad

and I take the rules very serous , and always have !!!!

Not asking for sympathy and this is NOT an attack on Jack so making that 110% clear.

I had contact with the 99 Car...my fault, and it bent the strap that my black plastic skirting is attached to.

So my skirting comes up 1/4 Inch too low on Drivers side. Now I have read the rule book so I did not

complain ...I just loaded up . My Frame height is over 5 inches of clearance.

Cant help but think there should be a tolerance for SKIRTING ONLY if there was race contact.

the DQ cost me a third in heat and Second in the Feature, which would have been some tire money :(

Driver #02

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 99 car might be another loser in this DQ. The ASA regional and national system uses car count as a significant factor in the national championship index calculation. The cars listed as finishing 10th, 11th, and 12th didn't receive any race points.....therefore, the 99 car was credited as racing against 8 competitors.

Even though the 99 won the feature race, the 99 might have lost ground in the index calculation due to the car count factor.

Guest huff37

oops--i thought there was a tolerance if the problem was caused by race damage.

now this comes up just when i thought i knew everything! ;););)

so did i......and there should be.

18. RIDE HEIGHT:

a. A 4 1/2-inch minimum ride height must be maintained at all times:

i. Measured from the lowest point on the frame to the ground.

ii. Any obstruction, at any point under the car, below the 4 1/2” minimum

height is considered too low.

iii. Regardless of what part of the car is obstructing the 4 1/2” wheel.

1. The only exemption is if deemed by the technical inspector that

race damage from the same night is the cause of the infraction.

iv. The ride height is measured with the driver out of the vehicle.

It is in the rules that if the tech director deems that damage from the race caused the car to be lower, it was OK. .... Well, I am am not going to into this one, you all know my opinion on this without me saying it. :ph34r:

18. RIDE HEIGHT:

a. A 4 1/2-inch minimum ride height must be maintained at all times:

i. Measured from the lowest point on the frame to the ground.

ii. Any obstruction, at any point under the car, below the 4 1/2” minimum

height is considered too low.

iii. Regardless of what part of the car is obstructing the 4 1/2” wheel. :o

1. The only exemption is if deemed by the technical inspector that

race damage from the same night is the cause of the infraction.

iv. The ride height is measured with the driver out of the vehicle.

It is in the rules that if the tech director deems that damage from the race caused the car to be lower, it was OK. .... Well, I am am not going to into this one, you all know my opinion on this without me saying it. :ph34r:

The tech inspector definately has the option of passing a low car if the damage is caused in the prior race. However, if the damage isn't obvious, how is he supposed to know that he should consider that? My point is that Doug may have won that argument if he would have waged it, but he didn't. Doug took the bad news like a true sportsman and walked away. His car didn't look damaged on the outside. Jack can't read minds.

I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in, in support of Doug Ayers..

I've known Doug since 1999, as both a racer and friend...he has ALWAYS respected the rules and has always had the respect of his competitors, fellow drivers and THR officials (at least, the ones I've known)..

It's a shame this happened and it's a shame people would even question this about Doug...

Doug Ayers, is without question, an all-around good guy and he's good for racing in Texas

I'll repeat what I wrote in April.

==========

In my 28 years of racing, disqualifications are one of the worst racing experiences, with only serious injury being worse than that. Disqualifications are very emotional, gut-wrenching, and impacts your whole family and supporters. And people viewing the situation from the outside looking in tend to be ruthless and have minimal compassion.

I can guarantee you that I can find at least one item that is illegal on any car. Even my own. One time, at a car show, a fellow racer in high points standing claimed that his car was 100% legal. I asked his permission to perform an inspection. After pointing out 3 minor non-conformances to the rules, I then asked him if he'd jack up the car for me to take a look. He had had enough.

I believe that the front-running cars tend to be the most legal. Yes, the guy in 11th place thinks his car is the most legal one out there, but odds are that I could find more non-conformances on that one as compared to a front-running car that's on the tech pad week after week. Most times, the racer that's content to finish 11th is just having a good time and is not able to recall the rules verse by verse. Yet he's the one that is ready to toss the hangman's noose.

What should occur after the race when it's found that the car's door numbers aren't 18 inches in height (measured vertically, not along the slant)? What should occur when the engine is torn down and there's evidence of antifreeze? What if the touring series rule said that headlight decals were required.... but the winning car didn't have them?

In the past, I've been asked to be a tech inspector. Some day, after I retire, I will. Maybe on a traveling series circuit if not locally.

If I'm allowed, I'll be willing to make some judgement calls in tech. I think each infraction could be judged to be performance related.... or not performance related. This could impact the seriousness of the penalty. Perhaps last place finishing position vs. a complete disqualification (no points, no money).

There's nothing worse to losing your passion for racing than getting disqualified, forfeiting your season's goals, losing the trust of your supporters, and being labeled a cheater.

I disagree that every situation is a black-and-white situation and that every infraction warrants a complete disqualification. And I've seen it carried to the n'th degree when a racer(s) was retroactively stripped of his whole seasons points on the last night of racing.

I sometimes think our tech inspectors are trying out for NASCAR. We need to remember that these are sport classes. To DQ someone for being 1/2 inch under when they weren't under to begin with must mean that something happened on the track. We need to start measuring wheel bases & offsets and looking for cheater setups and not worry about a bent bracket that dropped the side 1/4 inch or whatever. I mean let's be real, did it offer any performance advantage?

The local racetrack rules are KILLING local racing. Jack is not at fault!!! The rules ARE!!!

This is not big money NASCAR here. This is mostly week to week working class people

trying to do what they enjoy most. RACING. They need the little money they win to be able to race next week!!

Look around and you will see dozens and dozens of local racers that have cars but do not race anymore.

Out track needs to get and keep more cars in racing...not drive them away.

Why do you think so many are going to dirt???

You take all of the skirts off of all the cars and nothing would change.

They are cosmetic at best!!! Non competition rules need to go.

This ain't Daytona boys!!

If you must have these rules...give a guy a break and warn him 1st time...DQ if he doesnt change the problem by next week.

Just don't take his money so he can't race the next week!!!

Lenient rules and squishy rules enforcement is a sure-fire way to kill any racing class or racing series. This has been proven over and over through the years.

OK. Perhaps the rules aren't lenient enough or don't allow for wiggle room. But as soon as you open that door, someone will stretch it to where what was once a "who cares" item (like skirts) has become a definite performance enhancer. Strict, well-written rules that are strictly enforced is the way to go in any competitive racing scenario. Anything else opens the system to chaos.

Frankly, I don't agree with all the rules. No one does. But I do agree 100% with the strict enforcement that Jack applies to his tech.

Nick

The 99 car might be another loser in this DQ. The ASA regional and national system uses car count as a significant factor in the national championship index calculation. The cars listed as finishing 10th, 11th, and 12th didn't receive any race points.....therefore, the 99 car was credited as racing against 8 competitors.

Even though the 99 won the feature race, the 99 might have lost ground in the index calculation due to the car count factor.

To clarify this, there were only 9 cars that started the race.

I hate DQs the most next to wrecks.Even bad calls about the race can be dealt with but DQs are too hurtful unless its prooven to be a danger or performance advantage that was delibrate.This Sat several cars were DQed at CC Speedway for lack of paint or number on drive shafts and/or ballast weights.After talking to some of these drivers and seeing the pain in their faces I could only feel very badly for these guys.They raced their butts off,theres not much money to be had anyway and were sent home with no money or no glory.A man who works his rear end off and spends money on a car he cant afford deserves not to go home to the wife and tell her it was for nothing.Not for something this silly.All cars go through pre race inspection so it could have been easy to tell these guys to fix this before the races.I guarntee you would have seen people going to the local stoee and bought spray paint and magic markers.

In this case I believe its a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing,exactly.This is usally caused by a shortage of people,most tracks battle operating costs like the racers do and sometimes people are overworked.I dont believe there was any annomosity from management or the racers but I begged the management not to allow this to happen the same way again.Im sure I will be chastized by someone but I cant get those faces of disapointment out of my mind having experienced such things in the distance past.

Nobody can control damage from a wreck but theres got to be a better way to get cars to conform.

I do agree too many or too strict of enforcement of rules and DQs in general cannot help racing.I just think teck should use compassion along with firmness.We are not NASCAR and dont get paid like them.No matter how good you are,you cannot beat the referee.Im just glad I can hide behind a pen name and no one know who I am.

I hate DQs the most next to wrecks.Even bad calls about the race can be dealt with but DQs are too hurtful unless its prooven to be a danger or performance advantage that was delibrate.This Sat several cars were DQed at CC Speedway for lack of paint or number on drive shafts and/or ballast weights.After talking to some of these drivers and seeing the pain in their faces I could only feel very badly for these guys.They raced their butts off,theres not much money to be had anyway and were sent home with no money or no glory.A man who works his rear end off and spends money on a car he cant afford deserves not to go home to the wife and tell her it was for nothing.Not for something this silly.All cars go through pre race inspection so it could have been easy to tell these guys to fix this before the races.I guarntee you would have seen people going to the local stoee and bought spray paint and magic markers.

In this case I believe its a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing,exactly.This is usally caused by a shortage of people,most tracks battle operating costs like the racers do and sometimes people are overworked.I dont believe there was any annomosity from management or the racers but I begged the management not to allow this to happen the same way again.Im sure I will be chastized by someone but I cant get those faces of disapointment out of my mind having experienced such things in the distance past.

Nobody can control damage from a wreck but theres got to be a better way to get cars to conform.

I do agree too many or too strict of enforcement of rules and DQs in general cannot help racing.I just think teck should use compassion along with firmness.We are not NASCAR and dont get paid like them.No matter how good you are,you cannot beat the referee.Im just glad I can hide behind a pen name and no one know who I am.

i have to say gb you hit somethings on the nail ..thow tracks have to be firm with rules .did anyone of thease driver get told during the season they have one week to fix this problem .. as miner as this sounds . it wasnt an performance problem i take ...i will to admit and have no problem saying this ..tps has found two cars not up to par ... and moved them from thier winning first to finishing 4 or 5 th ..those spots were the last position of the lead lap car.s , .. was it right .depends on how you finished ... WE FINISHED 7 TH .AND IN A POINTS BATTLE .THE CAR MOVED BACK STILL FINISHED AHEAD OF US no problem with us ..... noone has gone home without getting paid .and or loseing all thier points that night ...could the finds be considered a big perfomance help ..thats for tps to decide ... but instead of just out right dq. ing someone .hasent happend in along time that i know of .. .. maybe tracks can take alittle from tps and apply this ... could help build car count and not put to much hurt on the drivers pocket .. remember tracks .we need each other ..i know it would and can be a desasster if we were found not up to par on something small and lost all points and money ..seeing we travel this year ..it could and probably will keep us home ..FOR GOOD ....

Dano,

I was taking notes for my race recap, and I showed the following lineup - 10 cars:

1. 19
  2. 02
  3. 18
  4. 58
  5. 28
  6. 11
  7. 4
  8. 99
  9. 10
  10. 32

02 wasn't there Deb. The DQ made it 9 cars, if it was the only DQ.

Dano,

I was taking notes for my race recap, and I showed the following lineup - 10 cars:

1. 19
  2. 02
  3. 18
  4. 58
  5. 28
  6. 11
  7. 4
  8. 99
  9. 10
  10. 32

02 wasn't there Deb. The DQ made it 9 cars, if it was the only DQ.

That brings up an interesting question. If a guy gets DQed, should the track include him in the "cars passed" number for ASA purposes. Personally, I think it should count. If the winner had to pass him for position, he should get credit for the pass....at least for ASA purposes.

Jody Wayne,

My point was that ten cars actually started the race. I don't know how the DQ will be figured in the ASA formula. Whether the 02 car is counted or not, it did start the race, and I report it that way on my software that supports the national championship data. It uses codes, similar to manual reports, such as DNQ, DNS, DQ, etc.

I will have to say I have known Doug since hell who knows. I have never seen that guy do anything that was something that would at least be caught and I dont see him ever doing something like that. His crew and fans in the stands were going crazy. Just seeing somebody that they have seen for years race and have his up and downs and then get DQ'd that will not help with the fans in the stands.

As for Tech inspection we have all seen things that should have been caught and has not been caught or let go. Who cares but the only thing I have a problem with is getting DQ'd for ride height or something that does not have anything to do with performance and or handling.

Lets tech like the old days pull heads (if they are cheating with this they can afford to get DQ'd)

Lets tech upper arms I have not seen this done in years and I bet if you tech the top guys you will find somebody that has cut and moved the dog bone for abit of help.

Lets tech Fly wheels if you have them and at the same time check the trans to see if all the gears are there.

I could keep going but why.

It is getting old just checking valve springs or ride height with weight check. Lets do some checking if you can afford to cheat then you can afford not having that check to repair after tech. Lets do something different and maybe try a different tech guy every once in awhile that does not know anybody that is looking for cheaters for the sake of the track and might help bring guys back to racing.

I will have to say I have known Doug since hell who knows. I have never seen that guy do anything that was something that would at least be caught and I dont see him ever doing something like that. His crew and fans in the stands were going crazy. Just seeing somebody that they have seen for years race and have his up and downs and then get DQ'd that will not help with the fans in the stands.

As for Tech inspection we have all seen things that should have been caught and has not been caught or let go. Who cares but the only thing I have a problem with is getting DQ'd for ride height or something that does not have anything to do with performance and or handling.

Lets tech like the old days pull heads (if they are cheating with this they can afford to get DQ'd)

Lets tech upper arms I have not seen this done in years and I bet if you tech the top guys you will find somebody that has cut and moved the dog bone for abit of help.

Lets tech Fly wheels if you have them and at the same time check the trans to see if all the gears are there.

I could keep going but why.

It is getting old just checking valve springs or ride height with weight check. Lets do some checking if you can afford to cheat then you can afford not having that check to repair after tech. Lets do something different and maybe try a different tech guy every once in awhile that does not know anybody that is looking for cheaters for the sake of the track and might help bring guys back to racing.

Be careful, you know how much everyone respects Jack. Don't talk bad about him, everyone will get mad. He is the fairest, straight forward, by the book tech man around. :lol: I just can't figure out which book. <_<

OK. I'll open this can of worms. It's up to the tech guy to make the pass/fail determination based upon his post race inspection of the cars. Cut and dried. .................................................. BUT .......................

Is there, or should there be in place an appeals process for his findings that takes into consideration mitigating circumstances such as we've seen here, that is separate and apart from the teching process?

Oh, and Arthur, I mean this in all sincerity. You need to get over it and move on. Its in the past now. Let it go.

Archived