TECHNICAL INFRACTION #02 Super Stock

STREET02

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. I'll open this can of worms. It's up to the tech guy to make the pass/fail determination based upon his post race inspection of the cars. Cut and dried. .................................................. BUT .......................

Is there, or should there be in place an appeals process for his findings that takes into consideration mitigating circumstances such as we've seen here, that is separate and apart from the teching process?

Oh, and Arthur, I mean this in all sincerity. You need to get over it and move on. Its in the past now. Let it go.

Budman, I am over it, but that doesn't mean I can't make jabs at him. Just seems I am not the only one that had a problem now. Seriously, don't expect me not to jump into conversations about him and take a jab, it is my right and I will do it, after all, he is outlawing my car after this season according to what he told another driver that wanted to race with us, but was turned away because of the body. So, I have the right to jab at him, maybe that will make him call me back and give me answers to some tech questions I asked 7 weeks ago that his answer was, "Uh, I dunno?"

Arthur, please accept my comments in the spirit in which they are intended. Of course you have your right to post pretty much whatever you like on here. But, (in my opinion only), its reached the point where you're just making yourself look bad on here by belaboring these points. It sounds to me like these issues would better be taken up privately with track management. I genuinely hope you will be able to get these matters resolved in the near future in a mutually agreeable manner to all parties involved. I wish you all the best my friend.

Budman,

I am in the process of dealing with it. I do take it in the spirit it was intended. I am having fun and will continue to do so when I race. I am not running for a championship anymore, so I will race to win in each race with no points racing. That is what cost me in the past, points racing. If I can't get the car together for a race, oh well, I will be ready for the one after. I just want to go out and enjoy every moment while I can. This has been the first year that I didn't have to struggle to get the things I needed to race, well, not as much at least. Good luck to everyone, see you at HMP and in winners circle, because if something doesn't brake, that is where I will be.

Budman, I am over it, but that doesn't mean I can't make jabs at him. Just seems I am not the only one that had a problem now. Seriously, don't expect me not to jump into conversations about him and take a jab, it is my right and I will do it, after all, he is outlawing my car after this season according to what he told another driver that wanted to race with us, but was turned away because of the body. So, I have the right to jab at him, maybe that will make him call me back and give me answers to some tech questions I asked 7 weeks ago that his answer was, "Uh, I dunno?"

Since you brought it up,I have often wondered if that new model body was legal being mounted on an older model car.Do the dirt tracks let that slide?

Here is the rule as written. But it has also been ok'd by the last tech man and has been run going on 3 years. Yes, the dirt tracks allow it, we have a 2002 Cadillac running at Gator and I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix body going on my other car. My body is a 1992 Chevy Lumina that I bought on the side of the road for $75. It is all steel.

a) Any American made steel body 2-door or 4-door sedans or hardtop with a minimum of 108-inch factory wheel base is approved. All others must be pre-approved by the Technical Inspector.

Here is the rule as written. But it has also been ok'd by the last tech man and has been run going on 3 years. Yes, the dirt tracks allow it, we have a 2002 Cadillac running at Gator and I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix body going on my other car. My body is a 1992 Chevy Lumina that I bought on the side of the road for $75. It is all steel.

a) Any American made steel body 2-door or 4-door sedans or hardtop with a minimum of 108-inch factory wheel base is approved. All others must be pre-approved by the Technical Inspector.

Is the Lumina 108" wheelbase?or does it fall in the "all others" category.

Believe it or not, the body dropped right onto the frame, I cut a little clearence for the tires on the the front, maybe 1". I was surprised it fit so well. But it fits in the other catagory too, Randy was even talking about building a 57 Chevy to run. We have a 57 chevy that runs at Gator, on a 112" wheelbase frame. pretty bad ass looking car.

I will have to say I have known Doug since hell who knows. I have never seen that guy do anything that was something that would at least be caught and I dont see him ever doing something like that. His crew and fans in the stands were going crazy. Just seeing somebody that they have seen for years race and have his up and downs and then get DQ'd that will not help with the fans in the stands.

As for Tech inspection we have all seen things that should have been caught and has not been caught or let go. Who cares but the only thing I have a problem with is getting DQ'd for ride height or something that does not have anything to do with performance and or handling.

Lets tech like the old days pull heads (if they are cheating with this they can afford to get DQ'd)

Lets tech upper arms I have not seen this done in years and I bet if you tech the top guys you will find somebody that has cut and moved the dog bone for abit of help.

Lets tech Fly wheels if you have them and at the same time check the trans to see if all the gears are there.

I could keep going but why.

It is getting old just checking valve springs or ride height with weight check. Lets do some checking if you can afford to cheat then you can afford not having that check to repair after tech. Lets do something different and maybe try a different tech guy every once in awhile that does not know anybody that is looking for cheaters for the sake of the track and might help bring guys back to racing.

So Jay, if he should let a ride height violation go, what else should he let slide? Also, if you honestly believe that ride height does not affect performance, keep studying.

In terms of what Jack should be checking, I'm sure he would be happy to have us pull heads and clutches on an alternating basis. When was the last time your car had either one checked? We have done both so many times in the last 10 yrs that I've lost count. I can't remember anyone being DQed in our class in those categories. On the other hand, many have been DQed on the scales or by the RH wheel or for illegal carbs. For that reason, I personally am thankful that Jack rarely pulls heads and clutches. Maybe he's trying to do us all a favor....

And in case you wondered, our control arm mounts have also been checked at least twice in the last 3 seasons - once on the car you guys bought and at least once on the new car. Both passed. I only remember 1 DQ in those inspections.

Resectfully,

Chase Stapp

If we're going to check ride height which is not that big a deal since we're not really talking about downforce vehicles on downforce tracks then let's check frame height. If the frame height is ok and the body passed prior to the race but you can see where an aluminum mount is bent then so be it. Or, straighten out the mount and re-measure.

uuuhhh geeeee, how about...

shut-up, get in your car, race, have fun, let jack do his job and you do yours!!!

Doug Ayers started this thread to make a clarification for his benefit. Great job doug. Give'em hell next week. The rest of you, quit your damn whining. If racing isnt fun for you than quit. Do something else. But quit being such babies. Damn its only a hobby!!!!

See ya in 2 weeks

I agree, as long as actual frame height passes after a race and you can tell that the body was damaged to cause it to not meet ride height, let it go. That 1/4" of black plastic isn't helping you any.

I think that's what Chase had refered to......Doug didn't get all Jacked up , he said Ok. I'm sure he noticed the real reason after the tech was done, maybe even the next day. If I knew there was contact with Cary, it might of been to his benifit to look at it before he left the tech area...jmo. Jack might of said that's cool, and there wouldn't even be any of this on here!

Here's the answer I got from Dennis Huth with ASA regarding the DQ:

A DQ – does not show up on the final finishing order….(so, make sure the driver /car doesn’t show up in the points). A DQ is a disqualification from the event…

So, I think his answer is saying that the DQ does affect the car count negatively (I guess). I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly.

If we're going to check ride height which is not that big a deal since we're not really talking about downforce vehicles on downforce tracks then let's check frame height. If the frame height is ok and the body passed prior to the race but you can see where an aluminum mount is bent then so be it. Or, straighten out the mount and re-measure.

According to wind tunnel numbers,when a car breaks 60mph,downforce comes into play.

According to wind tunnel numbers,when a car breaks 60mph,downforce comes into play.

My wind tunnel numbers on my car noticed a big difference at 52mph, but when we hit 80 mph, the downforce was real good. At 100 mph, man, there is some downforce on my hooptie!!! Thank god for manufacturer support, those wind tunnel tests are not cheap! :o

A DQ – does not show up on the final finishing order….(so, make sure the driver /car doesn’t show up in the points). A DQ is a disqualification from the event…

So, I think his answer is saying that the DQ does affect the car count negatively (I guess). I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Deb,

you are interpreting correctly. As per Dennis' rule, a DQ means that the driver does not count towards the final car-count for a race. it's like he/she never showed up to race.

My wind tunnel numbers on my car noticed a big difference at 52mph, but when we hit 80 mph, the downforce was real good. At 100 mph, man, there is some downforce on my hooptie!!! Thank god for manufacturer support, those wind tunnel tests are not cheap! :o

Make fun all you want "aero" is something that is overlooked by alot of teams.It's free weight that comes and goes at the right time. ;)

Archived