Sources: Martin to leave DEI, replace Mears in No. 5

Nathan

that would be a great scenario. stewart to hendrick in 2010. it gives lagano a year in the nationwide series before taking over the 20 car, and gives martin a chance at a championship he deserves. win win for all involved.

Except for Casey Mears. For the third year in a row, the guy gets shuffled out of a ride. Kinda hard to get any sort of momentum or consistancy going when you're bouncing around from team to team.

I would agree about casey if he showed any kind of potential. He ran well yesterday but that's because RH already said he was basically out for '09. The kid need to try another form of racing or maybe go back to the Nationwide series for a while

from what I heard casey was already looking else where before this came out. not because he was getting pushed out but because he wanted to. but at this time all this is speculation until something is announced.

Mears has to be pretty unsettled, his team changes constantly, last year when he kept the same pit boss for the last half of the season he gave the 25 many good rides, I feel bad for him, he is a good driver.

Not many seats left, I heard Almorolla will go full time in the 8, Truex is unsigned and Newman could move.

Maybe some slots free up if Franchitti, Hornish and the guys move back to CART. Dario missed the road race this week; that's pathetic.

mears is a good driver, but he cant use the changing teams as an excuse. look at kyle busch. he changed teams and the guy never missed a beat. talent can overcome a lot. they cant say mears got the junk equipment either cause when jr came over he took caseys stuff and mears got buschs stuff, and busch won plenty with his equipment. mears has had some bad luck at times too. will be interesting to see who they replace him with.

reb , i will go brpke buying martins things because he is the geatest driveri think besides richerd petty the king

He has to win ALOT of races and championships before you can mention his name in the same sentence as Petty!!!!!!

yep that was an insult to mr petty ..nothing wrong with mears just have to find the right team ..i thought after terry won the 96 winston . rick gave him junk to try out ....i dont think hendricks can field 4 fast cars ..they need a tryer outer ....

reb , i will go brpke buying martins things because he is the geatest driveri think besides richerd petty the king

He has to win ALOT of races and championships before you can mention his name in the same sentence as Petty!!!!!!

Why is that?

mears is a good driver, but he cant use the changing teams as an excuse. look at kyle busch. he changed teams and the guy never missed a beat. talent can overcome a lot. they cant say mears got the junk equipment either cause when jr came over he took caseys stuff and mears got buschs stuff, and busch won plenty with his equipment. mears has had some bad luck at times too. will be interesting to see who they replace him with.

True, however, Busch has only switched once in the 4 years he's been in Cup (I'm counting 2008). Supposedly, Mears is heading to Childress to drive the 33, but nothing official yet.

I wouldn't say Martin, Stewart, Gordon or any of the top drivers of this era can't be compared to Petty. Petty won seven championships when there was only about 3 or 4 teams with lots of money, if that many. How many races did Petty win in his last 10 or 12 years of racing? None.

I wouldn't say Martin, Stewart, Gordon or any of the top drivers of this era can't be compared to Petty. Petty won seven championships when there was only about 3 or 4 teams with lots of money, if that many. How many races did Petty win in his last 10 or 12 years of racing? None.

now you've done it chad......i've been saying the samething about the 'king' forever.(they are gonna send you death mail now, they are fanatics)

'king'? he may be yours but he ain't mine.

martin is done with championship runs , he will be doing good to win some races. mears,,,well there are worse out there. he does pretty well for an R&D car.

jmo

Why is that?

Because he's not a champ and has won but a few races!!!!

I beg to differ with you landlord.....check the stats.....besides he the most quiet, humble person you could ever meet/talk to. He hasn't got the big head syndrome like Jimmie, Jeffy and the rest of the jerky boys. He doesn't go out and wreck people, or drive with his head up his ass. Teams hire him to help train their young guns, because they respect what the man has done.

Different times, different eras.........Richard Petty will always be "The King" but to say you cant mention Mark's name in the same sentence is ludicrous

http://racing-reference.info/driver?id=martima01

Won his record extending 47th NASCAR Busch Series race in 2005 at Las Vegas . Set a NASCAR Busch Series record for victories with his 32nd victory in 1997 at Rockingham.

Won his record fifth IROC Championship in 2005.

Won three consecutive American Speed Association championships from 1978-80 before moving to NASCAR; returned to ASA and won 1986 title before making permanent move to NASCAR.

Archived