Sources: Martin to leave DEI, replace Mears in No. 5

Nathan

Retired for how many years now?...and still one of NA$CAR's hottest commodities?...if he really wanted to drive one more full season next year,there isn't a single car owner that wouldn't sign him to a high dollar contract.Most teams would even form a new team in the stable just for him.Signing him would bring an automatic high dollar sponsor as well.

Reb is correct(again) he is the highest rated driver to never win a Cup title.

I am a closet Mark Martin fan!!!!!But the bottom line is he has never won a cup championship,just like quarterbacks that never win the superbowl,they get branded(can't win the big one)Being as Dale sr. swindled at least one title from him and the fact that the guy has done alot for racing,I believe he deserves to be a champ!!!!Petty is the old school king and sr.was the "modern era"king.If Gordo gets 7 titles?????

I dont think championships should dictate who is a great driver (i.e. Jimmie Johnson).

But I am curious to know how many differant series did " The King" win in? We all know Martin has won atleast once in every series he's been in. I agree Martin may not be the best driver ever, but to say he shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentance as Richard Petty is just someones version of tunnel vision. JMO

I dont think championships should dictate who is a great driver (i.e. Jimmie Johnson).

But I am curious to know how many differant series did " The King" win in? We all know Martin has won atleast once in every series he's been in. I agree Martin may not be the best driver ever, but to say he shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentance as Richard Petty is just someones version of tunnel vision. JMO

He won 7 times in the one that counts,"CUP" Martin has not even won 1 title!!!If you don't use championsips for the measuring stick the only thing left is wins.Petty has 200.By the way if you use wins,Old boogity D.W. would be ranked higher than Dale SR.

I agree that Petty was a BMF, but, they had the field out-classed equipment-wise for a long time, Petty had the first major corporate sponsor and factory backing for a long time. The other guys were trolling with junk against him for long time. I've heard it said if Bobby Allison could have gotten along with Junior Johnson, Petty would have a lot less wins...

In my opinion (not that it counts for sheit), David Pearson & Cale Yarborough were the best of that era, when the playing field was closer, when the modern era started, around '72.

He won 7 times in the one that counts,"CUP" Martin has not even won 1 title!!!If you don't use championsips for the measuring stick the only thing left is wins.Petty has 200.By the way if you use wins,Old boogity D.W. would be ranked higher than Dale SR.

So King Richard could of won an IROC championship or two? Same equipment everytime? I do believe Mr. Martin has won one or two of those, beating the best in more than one sort of auto racing. But that probably doesnt count. How about winning in only his second start in a truck. Or how about giving Jr. his first win for his own team even when Jr himself couldn't do it. Then there is the allstar races, How many for Petty? Lets not forget ASA. Like I said, Martin may not be the best, but his resume is damn sure better than most of these yo-yos out there in cup rides now.

Archived