Pretty strong blog about THR Racing

abrungot

hey aaron(sorry if its spelled wrong) im not for shorter races but im not bitching either.one thing i will say is thanks mary ann for having 10 classes for only 10 dollors sas would have made it more for that many classes.ya its alot of classes but when it cost as much as it does to drive to the track id like to see as much racing as i can.and i know they do so we aren't there all night and early mornings.and they say so others can run other tracks nights off how many really do i for one don't i know the huff's do and thats cool but most don't and if your up in the points i know you wont take that chance. i try not to post about things moost of the time but its not right that they talk bad about it when she has done so much for US RACERS.so again THANKS,MARY ANN.

racer82,

i have to agree. i know people will get on here and defend mike haag the same way that we will defend Mary Ann and crew.

My question is why doesnt he get over it and find positive things to post. It is his blog and yes he has the right to say and print what he wants to. But for the love of pete "Get over it!"

Mark

YES THAT IS TRUE MARK HE DOES HAVE THE RIGHT TO WRITE WHAT HE WANTS BUT LIKE MARY ANN SAID THE BAD THINGS SAID IS WHATS HURTING THE TRACK.I HAVE THINKGS I DONT LIKE AS WELL AS THERE ARE THINGS I LIKE BUT I DONT BLAST THE BAD THINGS IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE AT THR THEN JUST DONT TAKE YOUR CAR THERE(AND NO THATS NOT WHY MY CAR HAS NOT BEEN THERE)I LIKE THR AND WILL BE BACK BUT THE SAS MOTOR WILL NOT WORK UP THERE SO WHEN THE NEW ONE IS HERE WE WILL BE BACK.ANDIF THE CAMERO IS READY IT WILL BE THERE TO.

Mike Haag critisized Terry Dickerson, SA Speedway and USRA in several of the blogs he wrote back when Terry ran the track and the USRA series. And now it seems Mary Ann Naumann and THR are the latest victims.

Did Mr. Haag obtain input from Mary Ann for this particular negative blog? I've $100 that says he did not because he failed to do so back when I was the USRA Media Director. I was the motorsports writer for a major San Antonio newspaper for several years and know very well that a legitmate newspaper writer is obligated to cover controversial stories from both sides of the fence with equal input from both sides.

If two people wrote to Mr. Haag that were unhappy with the way things were being run at THR then he should have contacted Mary Ann for her input before publishing his "story." Failing to do so is flat out wrong no matter how you try to rationalize it.

TXSZ readers should be aware that one of the ways that blog writers are evaluated is by the number of hits their blogs generate. Enough said.

Nick

OK, OK.......lately we've been talking about HOW TO GET MORE FANS IN THE STANDS.....am I correct?

Now, if these "said fans" are not fully satisfied with the show......do you think they will return? Will they tell others about their experience? (and how so). I was schooled, that it takes 10 people saying good things to overcome one saying bad things. That's pretty piss poor odds.

If you went to a Rangers/Astros game or Spurs game and they decided to call it early because there was too many errors, fouls....whatever....wouldn't it piss you off? Pretty much the same issue.....not "feeling" you've gotten your money's worth.....real or percieved! It's the fan that has paid his hard-earned money and they should be ones listened to. Racers, or die hards will say "hell ya let's run all night", but keep your eyes on the stands.....the paying fans.....the ones we are expecting to help us bring new blood in!!!!

Now before everyone jumps my ass......I love Mary Ann like a sister, and have total respect for all she and H. have done for racing and keeping racing alive in Austin/THR......but I have to agree that 7-10 classes a night is a too much for the average fan to sit through.

I agree with you Rebel. The first night they imposed the time limits when they were running the 10 classes I heard a few regulars there complaining about the imposed time limits just to accomodate so many classes. After one of the events had been stopped that same night because of the time limits it seemed as if someone in the stands threw a green flag and almost everyone headed to the gates. I might add that two of those same folks did not come back the next race weekend. Its great to attract new fans but its also important to keep the ones you already have. :)

Reb.. Rangers play untill they are done... but they have strike rules... (call it caution flag)

Spurs play against a clock (Time limits)

So to me.. THR is implimenting the best of both worlds....

I am on the fence with this one... Contravers.. sells... but would like to see mike play race director..

or maybe follow mary ann around for a weekend...

Be the story comes out different..

Hell (oops) even follow a race team for a week and see how he feels on sunday..

Again.. its up to the Drivers & Teams to ensure they score the most points (laps) in the given time limit..

If the time limit starts at the green flag... for Thunder Stocks.. at a generous 20 sec/lap pace, 20 mins time limit green to checker would be 60 laps... Double the race distance..

Edited by abrungot

I think that 7-10 cautions a race is a too much for the average fan to sit through.

I think if a good pace is kept, the racers can complete the posted laps within time. Take the fastest lap from qualifying to set the field, get all the heat races in before 6:30 and start the show at 7 sharp (features only).

Maybe charge a buck or two more to enter the grandstands before 6:30 (regular price after 6:30)

(Those that want to sit in the heat and watch practice and heat races can, or watch a full schedule of feature races)

I don't think it's the amount of classes racing that night as much as it is the quality of the racing.

(Beating and banging, drawn out cautions, not wanting to give a position back etc.)

Wow hasn't this bunch become a bunch of thin-skinned, insecure, sissys. Blogs are people's opinions that they decide to share with the rest of the world. I skimmed it to make sure he didn't put his foot in his mouth again after the West Series debacle....whats so bad. Hes being a critic. Oh my! I didn't see anything derogatory towards Mary Ann or THR. Whats the big deal? He has an opinion that may differ from the "sun is always shining" crowd. Give him critcism right back but don't discount or belittle the guy because he has an opinion that you don't agree with.

And this oh poor Terry Dickerson received criticism bs from Nick. Terry put himself in the spot light....of coarse there are going to be critics. Hell I've given and received plenty of criticism.

Deal it with boys and girls.

Just because I'm defending the guy doesn't mean I don't want to stand up for THR and Mary Ann. If it wasn't for her, there is no way we'd have an asphalt track in central Texas. Thank you Mary Ann for all your dedication and hardwork. You do put up with a lot of BS. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. Also thank you Mike Haag for still covering asphalt racing even though the track isn't in SA.

I read the blog. I think everyone is missing the point when being supportive or critical of Mr. Haag's opinions. It is an opinion piece, it's his opinion and he is entitled to it. I think the criticism should be directed at the writing and journalism aspects. Frankly its just not very good writing and concocted from what seem to be poor journalism practices.

That's my opinion piece.

as a fan I like the time limits, watching cars run under yellow is boring. At the same time I want to see a 30 lap race if that's the deal. As a racer, I hate sitting in my car 45 minutes because the race before mine is 1 lap green; yellow, 2 laps green; yellow, and so forth.. BUT as a racer if I can park it up front with a bunch of yellows and time runs out, that's ok.

Most importantly, being a good neighbor and maintaining oness headache that has not recurred, get the show run, keep the fans entertained and let the folks near there enjoy some peace.

And who knows, after the last race, maybe we all be cool and smart and get our races run in a timely manner.

10 classes? Yes, too many but you know what? We needed butts in the seats and if that helps, I'm all about it, I'd hate at this time next year to have a show car parked with no where to race it, so all in all, I think it's a good move.

Plus the media, hey, we're talking about the blog, mission accomplshed!

i agree with mike,,,,,if i put in 7 days and seven nights into preparing (or repairing) a car i atleast want my 40 laps.

i think the world of mary ann ,,,,i just disagree with this.

-and you are right on the money jason. perfect post.

ford27- i don't know if you meant what you wrote the way i took it ,,,,,,but if that is sarcasm , outstanding!

Wow hasn't this bunch become a bunch of thin-skinned, insecure, sissys. Blogs are people's opinions that they decide to share with the rest of the world. I skimmed it to make sure he didn't put his foot in his mouth again after the West Series debacle....whats so bad. Hes being a critic. Oh my! I didn't see anything derogatory towards Mary Ann or THR. Whats the big deal? He has an opinion that may differ from the "sun is always shining" crowd. Give him critcism right back but don't discount or belittle the guy because he has an opinion that you don't agree with.

And this oh poor Terry Dickerson received criticism bs from Nick. Terry put himself in the spot light....of coarse there are going to be critics. Hell I've given and received plenty of criticism.

Deal it with boys and girls.

Just because I'm defending the guy doesn't mean I don't want to stand up for THR and Mary Ann. If it wasn't for her, there is no way we'd have an asphalt track in central Texas. Thank you Mary Ann for all your dedication and hardwork. You do put up with a lot of BS. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. Also thank you Mike Haag for still covering asphalt racing even though the track isn't in SA.

Absolutely, Amen, preach it for all to read! Everyone consistantly misses the boat on this very topic! When a fan, driver, whoever, it doesnt matter has a complaint, pissed off, done wrong or shares constructive criticism, everyone wants it swept under the rug or they get hammered by the vast majority who read the issue because your being negative and not getting your way. Regardless they jump into judge, jury, and punisher. I would think it should be considered a "Golden Opportunity" to say we hear you and lets see if we can fix it. Everyone knows not everything can be fixed but by attempting and possibly fixing those issues publically you totally defuse the issue and person. By it being publically known you have just proven to everyone interested that you can not only handle problems but fix them. Again totally defusing the person and issue for all to see. Obviously not all issues can be handled this way. One vital part in all of this is you need to hear the issues and because of that you can opt to deal with it your way good or bad. The real problem in racing is those fans, drivers, teams and sponsors that dont say a word but simply disappear. By them not saying anything you dont know what you could have done to fix their problem and keep them returning, maybe it being something very simple or just being heard. I do complaint and present issues at times myself but its because I love racing and with the decision makers being able to read those issues its in there hands if its worthly of addressing or not! Of course all too often before anything good happens you will get the normal argument by those taking offense to anything being said regardless. So then you have to ask yourself if its worth even typing or going back the next week. Thats what you dont want to happen in my opinion!

If you ask me I dont think its the promoters fault at all. I think it is the driver's fault. If they want to driver over or through everyone and cause all the cautions then you'll have the problems with time limits. But if the drivers were to use their heads and be smart like some of them do then you can get the race done before the time limit is up. The only thing I can see if where there could be a issue is if someone blows a motor and puts oil down and it makes for a lengthy clean up the officials should stop the clock and restart it when they are done, I would only do that with big oildowns not just a small one that can be cleaned up quickly.

I agree with Josh. At HMP we don't have that many cautions....USUALLY...

The races are done timely, quick restarts, and fans love it. The end result is people come back and they bring their friends. At HMP every week we have had record setting numbers of butts in seats... I would look more closely at the cause of so many cautions.

Just my 2 cents...

I tend to agree with the time limits. A lot of tracks that I have been to most heat races are 6 to 8 laps and the features are not over 25 laps,which is reserved for the top 2 or 3 classes only, the others are usually 15 laps so there is no time for any BS driving or laying back for the end of a long run. This makes for a quicker show for the fans and not a long follow the leader race.

At HMP last year we ran 7 classes everynight, but ran no heat races. Everyone said we were running too many classes. 10 classes with heat races is WAY toooooo many. I don't know what happened at THR, but I will say this in regards to ALL racetracks, as I am involved with many of them. The race directors take too long to get the cars lined back up after a caution. I have seen it many times, especially at the dirt tracks. After a wreck, the score keepers are too into the wreck to work on the lineup, once the wreck is cleared, they start getting the lineup together. Now, on the other hand, you have drivers that continually argue where they are supposed to be. Make your arguement, and if they put you back, deal with it, don't jump up there 3 or 4 times and make them put you back over and over. Then of course, there is drivers lack of respect for the other drivers and their equipment. There is always a couple of drivers that don't care about the others and continually beat and bang and wreck people. Remember this, the fans don't want to sit in the stands for 8 hours. I think 4-5 hours is al they can handle, that includes an intermission for them to get up and mill around. Mary Ann, you are doing a great job, but I think 10 classes at any race track is too many. I think 5 classes wth heat races is max, maybe 6. Good luck everyone this weekend, wherever you are racing.

At HMP last year we ran 7 classes everynight, but ran no heat races. Everyone said we were running too many classes. 10 classes with heat races is WAY toooooo many. I don't know what happened at THR, but I will say this in regards to ALL racetracks, as I am involved with many of them. The race directors take too long to get the cars lined back up after a caution. I have seen it many times, especially at the dirt tracks. After a wreck, the score keepers are too into the wreck to work on the lineup, once the wreck is cleared, they start getting the lineup together. Now, on the other hand, you have drivers that continually argue where they are supposed to be. Make your arguement, and if they put you back, deal with it, don't jump up there 3 or 4 times and make them put you back over and over. Then of course, there is drivers lack of respect for the other drivers and their equipment. There is always a couple of drivers that don't care about the others and continually beat and bang and wreck people. Remember this, the fans don't want to sit in the stands for 8 hours. I think 4-5 hours is al they can handle, that includes an intermission for them to get up and mill around. Mary Ann, you are doing a great job, but I think 10 classes at any race track is too many. I think 5 classes wth heat races is max, maybe 6. Good luck everyone this weekend, wherever you are racing.

my wife who scored for many many years ... one of the best at it . watching a wreck was not what she was doing .unless i was in it ....those scorers have to go back and count every car for every lap over to make sure where they should line back up ..you would not want to be lined up in the back where else you should have been lined up in the front ..thats why it can take so long ... they do make mistakes ...two out of three scores have to be on the same page ..or else they have to go over it again ....transponders help alot .but not always the salution ..alittle exstra time will and can make your night or someone elses night a better one ..besides they have to answer to your complaint when you dont start where you should have ..so its a no win situation for them ....glad she doesnt do it anymore ..we have had phone calls before ...lol ..

YES THAT IS TRUE MARK HE DOES HAVE THE RIGHT TO WRITE WHAT HE WANTS BUT LIKE MARY ANN SAID THE BAD THINGS SAID IS WHATS HURTING THE TRACK.I HAVE THINKGS I DONT LIKE AS WELL AS THERE ARE THINGS I LIKE BUT I DONT BLAST THE BAD THINGS IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE AT THR THEN JUST DONT TAKE YOUR CAR THERE(AND NO THATS NOT WHY MY CAR HAS NOT BEEN THERE)I LIKE THR AND WILL BE BACK BUT THE SAS MOTOR WILL NOT WORK UP THERE SO WHEN THE NEW ONE IS HERE WE WILL BE BACK.ANDIF THE CAMERO IS READY IT WILL BE THERE TO.

I totally agree with you again.... My comment to get over it is towards him... From what Nick says in the past Mike has supported the track and yes I understand when writing or doing a blog you want to have both sides. But to me he seems slanted these days towards the negative and perhaps I'm wrong.