Texas Winged Modifieds

Dzu-Fast

Cool Dzu-Fast, I was just a kid when I took some of these old pic's, therefore the quality is very poor.

The quality is excellent if that's the only picture we have . Please post any and all you have . We love seeing them .

And since we're on the subject of Eugene Hair . I remember him , but can't really remember his car . Did he run #27 too ? And was he sponsored by an insulation company ? Anyone remember ?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I am quite sure that Eugene had driven a #27, it looked very close to the Ewell pic. It may have even been the same ride? Help Rudy!

I think your right . I think that was the Vanwall car that Ewell is driving . I think that's what it says on the hood cowling , Vanwall Insulation .

post-8984-1255569794.jpg

I remember Eugene Hair's car had "Think Foam" , on the wing . A friend of mine used to get it mixed up with Gillette Foamy shaving cream , and always called it "that Gillette car" . He still called it that even after we corrected him several times .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It`s cool guys,I know it`s all in fun. :)

But theres a few reasons I think it`s Sportsdrome though.

1. is the lack of wings.

2. The lack of banking-Sportsdrome was semi-banked and Cowtown was high banked.

3. Back then we knew the Cecil Farris bunch as well as the Moss bunch(still see the Moss` weekly) and James

was trying hard to get him a Sportsdrome championship,but never did.

The only time James ran at Cowtown back then was for an NTRA race (or big race) or if Sportsdrome rained out.He was a Sportsdrome regular.

Cowtown did have some trees around it too,and still does.

I think Mary Merrill killed one of them. :)

Anyways, heres some modern day shots from turn 2 at Cowtown.Alot of the trees are still there but you have to fly over the wall to hit them now.

Cyde Dunn Jr

449753130_jwBr2-L.jpg

PJ Egbert

449753069_VGas9-L.jpg

Kenneth Walker

449752894_S9TsU-L.jpg

Nick Smith

449752971_8rBUu-L.jpg

Has to be Sportsdrome cause that tree isn't an oak tree and Cowtown trees are oaks.

And those were the days, I had great times running at those events. Between Blumrick, Plowman, Schild, Wade, Griswald, Chumley, Sonny Mc, Ballard, and MJ Burton, you damn sure had your hands full trying to get to the front. MJ was still as fast as anyone I ever saw on that track. I think Donny Branson ran a mid 22 second run on Meyers in a full spinter, and Jimmy Davies a high 22 in a midget, I think MJ was right there with him most of the time in that old coupe. He was hard to beat anytime you strapped in.

How long has it been since you seen one of these....

USACcard.jpg

Don Branson was known as the fastest qualifier in the business. I haven't seen a USAC license in over 40 years. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-3-1282944883.jpg

I'm new to the forum and I hope I am doing this all right. Also, I hope that the forum is still somewhat active (given the age of some of the posts).

I saw some shots of this car in some older posts. This is on the trailer @ Eldon's house in Lucas.

My dad used to help Eldon, thus my handle on here. I was 8 when Eldon ran this car and I remember alot of it like yesterday. This car was lettered by hand on the floor of the Dallas Autorama and I remember watching in amazement. If there is interest, I have a few other shots of this car I could post, some pre-lettering & some post.

I became a fan of Eldon before we ever knew him. I remember going to the Super Bowl and watching him in his blue coupe with flames. Somehow dad found out that Eldon lived on the street behind us, within the year, dad was on the crew. For 3-5 years I spent every Friday & Saturday night at a dirt track, from Boothill to Superbowl, to Thunderbird to Cowtown to Sportsdrome to HOT to Big H. I rarely got to to Sunday's because of my age and school but dad was there. I would always get racing reports on my way to school on Monday mornings.

Here are a few more. I will have to get my dad to look through his pictures. All the pictures that I have right now are of the orange car. I remember him having some others, but they will have to dig for them. There is one I really want to find. It Eldon's blue coupe with flames. The picture was taken at Superbowl and I am riding with Eldon packing the track (I always loved doing that). From the angle the picture was taken, it looks like I am driving and Boadie's car is also in the frame. I always said it looked like "I was racing Boadie."

Well enough of my story, here are some more pics.....

post-3-1284129435.jpg

At Eldon's House/Shop. Dad was standing on the tire rack for this one.

post-3-1284129445.jpg

Some assembly required--shortly after bringing the car home from Smiley's.

post-3-1284129452.jpg

One of dad's favorite pictures. His role was the set-up. He worked with and learned a lot from Jesse Measles (Not sure if I got the spelling right). He & I were talking about this one just the other day. He loves the way the way the car sits level but the rear axle isn't. Weight Transfer!

post-3-1284129459.jpg

One of my early heroes! From packing the track to answering a kid's questions to a ride on his motorcycle.

post-3-1284129467.jpg

Right rear. The spokes looked cool, but dad said they didn't last long.

post-3-1284129473.jpg

This picture is me in 1980 getting Doug Wolfgang's autograph at the Devil's Bowl. (Not a winged modified picture, but it shows where I have come from)

Loved those cars, those were the days, the spoke issue is probably why they went to steel wheels later. keep them coming. I assume you have picts. of the next gen smiley car as well, I remember the first night he brought it out to Thunderbird and lapped the entire field except 2nd which I think was Billy Suggs it was a 75 lap race and he had the pole, but I think he got a thousand extra if he started from the rear and won. I also remember the Bluee Max rig, but locally when he tried the big block it didn't work as good.

Loved those cars, those were the days, the spoke issue is probably why they went to steel wheels later. keep them coming. I assume you have picts. of the next gen smiley car as well, I remember the first night he brought it out to Thunderbird and lapped the entire field except 2nd which I think was Billy Suggs it was a 75 lap race and he had the pole, but I think he got a thousand extra if he started from the rear and won. I also remember the Bluee Max rig, but locally when he tried the big block it didn't work as good.

we were there that night an seen him pull this off. wood not have belived it if we did not see it our self. sad to say that was the last time i was at thunderbird.

I think the spokes were bought because they "looked cool." I love hearing dad talk about the experiments that worked and the ones that didn't. Like the big block you mentioned. Dad said the first one from Blue Max didn't even make it to a heat race, it blew in hot laps.

One of the local photographers from the Shreveport area started a facebook page with lots of photos he took back in the 70's & 80's It's called ArkLaTex Dirt http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ARKLA...60542665?ref=ts

I've posted some of my old pictures on this page along with some of the Old Texas Speeds, Boothill Programs etc...That My Dad had kept until he passed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Scott Trowell is the nephew of A. D. Trowell. He is driving the #23 in the TWMA along with my brother Terry (#55) and myself (#5). Tim White was our older brother and Charlie White was our dad. There are several drivers and crewman with the TWMA who have ties to a lot of the drivers from the 70's, 80's & 90's. The TWMA is hoping to even have some of the "old" wing mod drivers back with us at Cowtown for 2011. For info, check us out @ www.ihwma.com for the 2011 schedule, rules and updates for next year.

Ted White

Texas Wing Modified #5

Trading_Card.pdf

Archived