Texas Winged Modifieds

Dzu-Fast

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bicknell29, glad to have you join in with us here in the Winged Modified topic.

Getting back to the evolution of the winged mods. Here is a pic of Steve and Gene Wright at Cowtown early 80s. They are cousins of Gary Wright if my memory is correct, not sure about that anymore. Good clean racers.

econo

post-10047-1246888224.jpg

Welcome to the forum bicknell29 , and thanks for the contribution . I remember that 98 car , but couldn't for the life of me remember who drove it . Are you sure about the 89 car being Johnny Vaught ? Because it looks like Bert Chandlers car and I thought he ran number 89 . I'll take your word on it if your sure though .

Another great photo econo15 . I'm don't remember Gene Wright but I know Steve and Gary were cousins . Steve was a pretty good racer in his own right . We used to call him "Ol' Sip and Nip" because he was sponsered by a bar by that name .

Some of you will recognize this car. This is the winged mod. Mike Hathcock

ran in 1980 at Sportsdrome and Buffalo. He had the hauler painted with the

same theme as the car. Pretty cool for that time period.

post-10047-1246901515.jpg

photo by John Hathcock

heres one mfbarnes should like on open compition. maybe everyone might remember.

back in i think 1976 or 77, the old hillsboro speedway did a two day open compition mod show. only rules were 102" wheel base, no mags, no fuel injection. a team from dallas show up with a supper mod that they streched the wheel base. was a funny looking thing but was lighting fast. needless to say they ran away with all the money. when they pulled in the pit gate gordon wooley said there`s the winner right there. there were lots of cars from every were there for this race. started running feture races at 2:oo that sunday afternoon an droped the checker flag at midnight on the a-main. this might have been the last big race hillsboro ran. with all the cars that were there, harley anybody in the stands, an the death of another good race track.

grc

all three of the wrights ran here at h.o.t. when they wood run the texas state mod champship race. the wings were so wide you had to watch walking around in the pits or you wood get slaped in the head by one as they went by. we wood joke that joe sturdivent`s wing came off a shop door it was so wide. this was in the late 70`s when we pitted in the infield.

grc

OK , I could see it being an "open" class race . We were discussing Supers at another historic forum awhile back , and we agreed it's hard to tell a Super from a regular mod just by looking at it most of the time . The evolution of Super Mods is a pretty interesting story , along with the evolution of regular Modifieds . I came to the conclusion that modifieds were pretty much always there , coming out of the stock class , and the Supers sort of evolved out of them . Sort of a "modified modified" . So I wouldn't really say the modifieds broke off into a class of their own , but that the Supers did . Or that they just sort of seperated off after awhile .

I remember at our local track a fellow showed up once with a Super , and wanted to run with the Modifieds . He was actually just there to shake down his new car . The track officials decided it was close enough to our mods that they would let him run , but he'd have to start on back of the A main . The Mod drivers threw a fit and said they'd load up and go home if they let him run . They ended up just letting him make some hot laps with it during intermission . That's all he really wanted anyway .

Someone was wondering what happened to the dirt supers . What happened was they were just absorbed into the Sprint class . I think it was Ralph Capitani who said that the modern winged sprint is a combination of Super mods and Sprints .

That's a Hite super huh ? Bill Hite built some good ones . Here's some photo's of an old Hite Mod being saved after years laying in the weeds . Pretty cool , I thought . I'd like to see that thing run .

http://public.fotki.com/alabamaracingphoto..._supermodified/

THAT'S COOL!!

I KNOW. I WAS SITTING HERE THINKING ABOUT THAT. THE COMPANY BOUGHT A FAX/SCANNNER/PRINTER/COPIER AND I HAVE NOT HOOKED IT UP YET.

IT IS FOR MY WORK COMPUTER BUT I WILL BRING IT IN HERE AND USE IT TO GET SOME PHOTOS UP WHEN I GET TIME. I MAY NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE TO WALK ME THRU IT. I FOUND AN OLD PHOTO OF A CAR RAY DROVE THAT HE BOUGHT FROM BILL MILLER. IT SHOWS BILL MILLER STANDING BESIDE IT. I GUESS HE STILL OWNED IT AT THE TIME.

I KINDA PRE-OCCUPIED WITH WORK AND SOME PROBLEMS MY PARENTS ARE HAVING. DAD IS 81 AND MOM IS 78 AND I AM GOING TO BE HEADING TO THE METROPLEX ON THE WEEKENDS MORE OFTEN.

I HAVE SOME PHOTOS OF MY ECONO LATE MODEL BUT I PUT THEM IN A PHOTO ALBUM THAT HAD A TRANSPARENT COVER THAT STUCK DOWN OVER THEM. I DOUBT I CAN GET THEM OUT WITHOUT RUINING THEM.

PUSH COMES TO SHOVE I HAVE TWO COPIES OF THE BO RAWDON/KEITH GREEN INCIDENT. I CAN ALWAYS MAIL YOU ONE AND MAYBE YOU CAN POST IT. I'LL TRY TO GET IT WORKING FIRST BECAUSE I NEED TO LEARN HOW.

Yes Im 100% sure that is the Jim Body car that Johnny Vaught drove at Boothill in the 70s. That is the picture I put on the Ark-La-Tex wing site. Bert had a 89 that looked alot like that but raced at Bayou more than Boothill. Then in the 80s they had a red 100.

Ok , thanks . I didn't really know . I only remember Vaught in the 18 car . I only went to Boothill a few times in the 70's . I was helping with our car then , so I didn't have time to pay a lot of attention to the other cars . Plus , we were running hot stock back then , so I was watching them more .

Jim Body huh ? I remember him . He owned the 87 car of Billy Melton that I posted here . Second photo in the thread .

That is the picture I put on the Ark-La-Tex wing site.

Yeah , that's where I found it . I hope you don't mind me posting it here . There are a couple of more there I'd like to post here and ask you about , if you don't mind . I've been meaning to send the Ark-La-Tex site some of my pictures , but I'm not real sure how to e-mail photos .

Bert had a 89 that looked alot like that but raced at Bayou more than Boothill. Then in the 80s they had a red 100.

OK , so Burt did run number 89 at one time . I thought so . I remember the 100 car also . I always liked Burt , fast , but coudn't keep it right side up .

Bayou . Is that Minden ?

Either way, and any of us here will be willing to help.

Yep , I'd be glad to help . Trust me , if I can figure out how to do it , anyone can .

Getting ready for race at CC speedway in Corpus Saturday night.

What's going on there ?

Bayou was in Minden. They cut that track up about a year ago and made it into some sort of mud bog track. You can use any of those pictures from that site. You can send pics to chris@tcbmotorsports.com and I will post them on there. Everyone likes to see the the older cars that used to race at Boothill from the 70s and 80s.

Bayou was in Minden. They cut that track up about a year ago and made it into some sort of mud bog track.

That's a damn shame . It had been around awhile , hadn't it ?

You can use any of those pictures from that site. You can send pics to chris@tcbmotorsports.com and I will post them on there. Everyone likes to see the the older cars that used to race at Boothill from the 70s and 80s.

I'll try and send you some photo's soon .

Here are a couple more that I was wondering about .

The only #5 car I remember from Boothill was Ronnie Poche , but I don't think that's him .

post-8984-1247281001.jpg

I don't know who this is either .

post-8984-1247280977.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
THAT'S THE CAR I REMEMBER COMING OVER TO DALLAS AND PUTTIN IT ON EM!

That one and one or two others he drove before that car. I was in Waco for NTRA race 82-83

and he kicked ass so bad they swore he was runnin' nitros. They didn't find it if he was.

Archived