Texas Winged Modifieds

Dzu-Fast

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The photo with the #7 car kinda looked like dirt with the grass around the outside but after looking again i see the car and tires are to clean to be on dirt. These pics show the difference between the South Texas mods and the North to northeast

Texas mods during that time period. We didn't have many if any paved tracks in the North Texas area in those days. I didn't start going to the races until 63-64 and the modifieds we had were still 55 chevys for the most part. The super modifieds looked simular to the pics you posted but not many tracks were running them in this area besides Devils Bowl. I can remember Sportsdrome bringing them in occasionally.

econo

Here's a few Texas Winged Modifieds............

That top picture I am pretty sure is Lee Cade, me, and Red Garner's Hot Rod. That looks like my USAC car just outside of Lee (If that's the car I think it is, I sold it to Ikey Jerome after I ran it down at JIS, and he painted it blue and won a lot of races with it.), and it could either be Don Stodder, or Billy Perran in Red Garner's trey behind us, don't remember who was driving for Red in that picture. The car just below is the same car a year or two later with a different wing. You want to take a look at one fine piece of work, look at that number three real close. Red Garner built first class stuff, make no bones about it. That number three was bad fast and always out front.

RedGarnersrod.jpg

If you looked over your left shoulder and saw this, you best either get up on the wheel, or get over.......

And that's Nash out to the right in the other picture, in what looks like one of Poncho Locklin's sleds. The bottom shot is the one and only Wild Bill White in the Devil Tail Duece, Bill ran that car quite a bit, but never had the success he had in the Blue Duece that he ruled with for years. All these are from the 60's at Meyer's, man those were the days. Fastest half mile in Texas.

post-2090-1213829234.jpg

A great shot of the Supers at Meyers.......Wings everywhere......got to love it.

I know Bill Blumrick drove for Fred, but I think George owned this out right or was in with Pancho with that car and then it was sold to Gene Tapia who ran it in the early 70's at JIS, and beat up on them with it for a while. Too many moons gone by to keep all this crap straight any more. Maybe wrong who knows anymore.

post-2362-1248553917.jpg

Same care in this paper clipping from 1971

As I understood it, the 7 car was one of many that Fred bought over the years. I don't think that George had anything in it other than the seat. :D Mark fill us in on this type of car. I thought it was a "Down South Car". I was told that it was a dominant car at Mobile.

Yeap, that car in the lower pic is the car Doug came to Buffalo with in 82 and I remember thinking what a funny lookin' car compared to the other mods I was used to seeing. Didn't take long to figure out that you shouldn't judge a car by the way it looks. Next thing you know everybody was trying to make theirs look like it. Thats the car they thought was runnin' the juice in Waco. I saw him run the bottom at Buffalo with that car when no one else could. They were all trying though.

econo

As I understood it, the 7 car was one of many that Fred bought over the years. I don't think that George had anything in it other than the seat. :D Mark fill us in on this type of car. I thought it was a "Down South Car". I was told that it was a dominant car at Mobile.

Jim,

The white Winged Super Modified # 7 that George Nash won the Liberty Bell 300 in '71 with, I'm fairly sure was owned by Fred Furlow/Browning Furlow Plumbing Co. That appears to be the same car pictured.

Archived