Texas Winged Modifieds

Dzu-Fast

I was fortunate to be in the DFW as a teen and get to see many winged mod shows in their heyday. Thank you all for posting the pics. I agree on the Sunday NTRA shows. Those were great as you could see drivers from all the tracks at one place. Buffalo Park provided pretty much the same opportunity to see all the drivers as it was a Friday night track. It was hard to beat seeing Bo Rawdon, Ron Golden, Tom Lorenz, Doug Ingalls, Eldon Dotson and all the rest on the track at the same time. By the way did Ron Golden get out of racing? I'm glad someone posted the current pic of Ingalls. Been 25 years since I seen one of him.

There's been talk about drivers doing winning two features at two different tracks on one night, but I can tell you two facts, both which I witnessed first hand:

1. One night I was at Sportsdrome. Sportsdrome tended to run long in those days. Eldon had won over at Cowtown. Then here comes that tractor / trailer rig rolling into Sportsdrome late. Us teenagers thought that was some rig. They unloaded, started at the back and won the feature just the same as they did at Cowtown earlier in the evening.

2. On another night Cecil Farris blew his motor in a heat. There they go tearing out of the track with the car on the trailer, across Hwy 80, cut across the flea market parking lot and onto Jefferson into the wrecking yard. A short while later here comes the car driving back, the truck and empty trailer come back and Cecil made it to the feature and won. We went to the pits and talked to him and Mike (Mike was one year above me in high school) and he was telling how that was his sportsman motor he dropped in there. We loved going to the pits after the races watching the crowd around Cecil's rig listening to the story for the night. And, sometimes a few disputes we got to witness at the end of the night.

I posted this on another thread, but I had a huge box full of programs from Sportsdrome, Buffalo Park, Cowtown, Superbowl, and Thunderbird for almost 20 years I kept. Can't find them now. I wish I had them... Saw some of the same ones I had auctioned on ebay.

On another note, I'm fortunate again now in my 40's, as I get to promote the track where Paul White has been racing at quite a bit this year. I don't think most of the fans in the grandstands understand just how extensive Paul's resume is, but they get a real treat watching him run. And, we're very lucky to get to host a 3 day USMTS show in November that will likely bring in some of todays top drivers who will be legends 20 years from now.

-Monty

This is a true story about cecil farris, i was there that night and witnessed it! one night at sportsdrome when they still ran king of hill races, cecil won the trophey dash so he got to challenge the last weeks winner, richard hardin. richard started on the inside, and cecil kind of laid back and let richard get high and cecil tucked under him in corner. when they came down the back stretch and into turn 3 and 4, richard had two flat tires, cecil won the race, lewis ruyle ran over to hardins car, broke the flag off his car that was held on by two hose clamps to the roof post, ran over to cecils car, hit him in the head with the flag, and screamed, if you want this M.F. so bad you have to cheat to get it, shove it up your #$@. cecil had taken some head bolts, ground a point on them and welded them to his kick rails! the officials made him cut them off and they gave hardin the flag back for that week!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sportsdrome ran modifieds and stocks or modified stocks. 97car will know, he was there in those days too and his memory is sharper than mine. I don't think the stocks could run the kick rails. They had to run fenders and I'm not positive about the wrap around bumpers. We're gettin' closer to the wings in the photos.

Sportsdrome also ran a hobby stock class, they were almost the same as the modified but they had to run stock firewalls, and inside metal could not be gutted out, they could run kick rails and pipe bumpers

I HAVE A PHOTO SOMEWHERE OF AN UPSET BO RAWDON ABOUT 1983 USING A TIRE TOOL ON THE WING OF KEITH GREEN'S CAR IN THE INFIELD AT COWTOWN. WOULD IT BE WRONG TO POST THAT?

Racer-x - I know that I wouldn't object to that pic being posted!

I was there that night and was standing on the guardrail around the light pole in turn 3-4. I had been taking some pictures that night and had just run out of film (remember those days? :lol: ) when they threw out a red. Keith pulled his car right in front of where I was standing and the next thing I know, Bo is sliding up next to him. Bo jumps out of the car with what looked like a tire tool and commenced to beating the crap out of Keiths car and trying to get to Keith. Luckily Keith was smart enough to keep his helmet on and stay in the car.

Anyways, I would love to see pics of that incident. If need be, I can send you my email address if you would rather email them.

I have just recently got back into dirt tracking after a 15 year absence. We ran a limited modified mostly at Cowtown but we ran Devils Bowl and Buffalo Park on a regular basis too.

The pics and names sure bring back alot of memories! Thanks for this thread!!!

I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN A WHILE. I'M LOOKING AT THE PICTURE RIGHT NOW. BO'S LOOKS SO MAD HE COULD CRY. I SEE THE LATE GREAT COWBOY CAMPBELL, WHAT I THINK IS THE BACK OF CLAUDE ESTES, BUSTER OKEEFE WHICH WAS BO'S PITMAN. I BOUGHT THIS FOR LIKE $10.00 AT THE TRACK THE NEXT WEEKEND. I NOW HAVE A SCANNER BUT I HAVE NOT HOOKED IT UP. I'M GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS BEFORE I SOUND LIKE THE BOY THAT CRIED WOLF.

Yeah, I think that since I was last on here, I have changed jobs and things have been hectic. I finally was able to get back to the track for the July 4th show at Cowtown and have been to KSP and Boyd since. Got bit by the bug hard enough that I am seriously considering running a hobby stock at KSP next year if I can swing it.

Anyway, hope things are going good with you and the others here! I still love seeing these old pics!

Get that scanner hooked up and git r done! :lol:

I found this pic of Cecil Ferris over at the Cowtown site and Snaproll was kind enough to let me post it here . Thanks Snaproll !

post-8984-1250099778.jpg

I REMEMBER TAHT CAR. HE DOMINATED WITH IT. AND THEN CAME ELDON, BOADIE, BILLY SUGGS. SMILEY CARS WITH BAKER ENGINES OR SOMEBODY ELSES ENGINE.

I LIKED IT WHEN THEY BUILT THEIR OWN CAR AND ENGINE.

• 1 month later...

That was sitting out front of the Ramada Inn near Denver, the Hemi was built by Ed Pink, the Chassis was an altered Watson Indy Roadster from '65 I think. Ken Hamilton put it together and took it to Colorado National Speedway that year ('77 or '78 can't remember) and his 16 year old son Davey blistered the track record and turned the 3/8 oval in a high 13 second range. Now you need to think about it for a minute, I think when they were still running Craftsman Trucks there Hornaday turned 17 second laps there, and the best and stock car ever turned there was a high 15 or 16 second pass and that's with the current 12° banked turns. Now CNS only had about 8° of banking back then. This thing just blasted all of that out of the water. My super turned mid to high 14's there, as most every body else's did. This thing was a missile, and was soon outlawed West of the Mississippi. Only thing is was hard on rear tires. A 50 lapper was a piece of cake, but 100 plus laps and you'd run the hides off of it. It's one of the coolest things I ever saw run. And not really that much left side offset weight. just straight horse power to the ground. I don't think Ken Hamilton's famed "Pink Lady" Sprinter ever got close to that lap time. I'm pretty sure Nicky Haygood finally ran that fast in his modern day 410 sprinter with the better banking of course.

I think all modifieds become Supers when you screw a wing on'em......................................

No . A modified couldn't have ran that engine offset . And I bet that roadster in the picture above had a tubeframe . And is that a Hilborn fuel injection I see on top of the motor ? They were a completely different animal . A great class and fast as greased lightning . It's a damn shame they died out .

I'm sure it has all those things but what rules does that violate? We used to have an annual race in Houston that was "Run what you brung". It was called open competition. We had everything from Indy roadster conversions to rear engine cars and we ran our local modifieds in that race. The locals were hard to beat.

And those were the days, I had great times running at those events. Between Blumrick, Plowman, Schild, Wade, Griswald, Chumley, Sonny Mc, Ballard, and MJ Burton, you damn sure had your hands full trying to get to the front. MJ was still as fast as anyone I ever saw on that track. I think Donny Branson ran a mid 22 second run on Meyers in a full spinter, and Jimmy Davies a high 22 in a midget, I think MJ was right there with him most of the time in that old coupe. He was hard to beat anytime you strapped in.

How long has it been since you seen one of these....

USACcard.jpg

I'm sure it has all those things but what rules does that violate?

Well , hell . A lot of rules . :lol:

We used to have an annual race in Houston that was "Run what you brung". It was called open competition. We had everything from Indy roadster conversions to rear engine cars and we ran our local modifieds in that race. The locals were hard to beat.

Yep , been to a few run what ya' brung races myself . I always wanted to go to the "Cheaters Day" race they used to have at some track in South Dakota . No rules at all . They say there used to be some wild looking stuff show up there .

• 2 weeks later...

Cool Dzu-Fast, I was just a kid when I took some of these old pic's, therefore the quality is very poor. I was wise enough to keep detailed records. I would write little bits of info on the back. I have had many argue with some of the facts stated in my scrap book. I don't ever argue the point, I know that every thing stated is true, again because I took the time to write it on the back of the actual pic. Thanks for clarifying the Ewell ride!

Archived